• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[N-Conf] ZombiU for WiiU

SURVIVORS VS. ZOMBIES – An adversarial multiplayer mode where one player takes over the role of Zombie Master (top-down view) spawns enemies and springs traps with a simple touch on the Wii U new controller; while a second player (first-person view) fights for survival with the Classic Controller!

MERCY KILLER – When your character gets infected, your online friends are alerted of your death and can come and hunt down your zombified character to loot the gear in your BOB and put you out of your misery!

I hope the final version will be more "realistic" when it comes to the shooting part, especially since it's what the game's all about.

Right now -if I'm not mistaken- it seems that wounds/blood appear randomly on bodies, dis-regarding where you actually aim/shoot.

Kills the immersion IMO.
If I am not misunderstanding you, no, they appear in the right place and not randomly lol
GS9f3.jpg

over all, I really like the graphics; they are definitely not KZ, BF, etc. but very good for what it is, specially lighting:
JiAQJ.jpg

Penguin

Think first is offline only, but they are missing the boat if they don't make that an online feature of the game.

Can have it be like 1 vs 4. With the Zombie Master trying to kill the humans before reaching a goal.

Or they can do like 5 vs 5. With each team also getting a Zombie Master, while he tries to protect his team and get them to objective/equipment first.

Think first is offline only, but they are missing the boat if they don't make that an online feature of the game.

Can have it be like 1 vs 4. With the Zombie Master trying to kill the humans before reaching a goal.

Or they can do like 5 vs 5. With each team also getting a Zombie Master, while he tries to protect his team and get them to objective/equipment first.

Yikes! Not that it will affect my purchase, but it could be a deal breaker for some that really want it.

If I am not misunderstanding you, no, they appear in the right place and not randomly lol

Sorry, I probably wasn't clear enough.

Blood splashes appear more or less at the correct place, but there are no "permament" wounds after that.

Check this out.

untitledoza2s.jpg

The zombie's being shot on the chest 3 times but there's no marks/wounds anywhere to be seen.

Edit: I don't think that's a lot to ask from a game released in 2012

There will be online feature, but I didn't understand how it works.
I understood that you can encounter other players/friends once they are zombified and kill'em all, stealing their equipment.
I love them to flesh that out a little more.Make it so you can team up with other survivors to increase your odds,and you can even betray them to escape Walking Dead style.

Sorry, I probably wasn't clear enough.

Blood splashes appear more or less at the correct place, but there are no "permament" wounds after that.

Check this out.

untitledoza2s.jpg

The zombie's being shot on the chest 3 times but there's no marks/wounds anywhere to be seen.
Well let's hope it's that way because it's a early demo.Btw the ghost that runs by a few seconds later totally creep me out lol.

watershed

Banned
This game sounds interesting but visually it looks like any other game out there. Nothing about it says "next-gen" to me. But online play could make this a must have title at launch.

This game sounds interesting but visually it looks like any other game out there. Nothing about it says "next-gen" to me. But online play could make this a must have title at launch.
I have given up on seeing next gen on Wii U at least till the next year; and then we will see true next-gen graphics and are bars will go high enough for Wii U graphics to become last gen.

I think it's more or less a Wii situation.

Edit: I don't think that's a lot to ask from a game released in 2012
I understand; well, I agree with Shahadan, we shouldn't expect much.

The first exclusive that may look like a next gen will be by Nintendo and probably either Retro or EAD

watershed

Banned
I have given up on seeing next gen on Wii U at least till the next year; and then we will see true next-gen graphics and are bars will go high enough for Wii U graphics to become last gen.

I understand; well, I agree with Shahadan, we shouldn't expect much.

The first exclusive that may look like a next gen will be by Nintendo and probably either Retro or EAD

I'm not just talking about graphics though I just mean a sense of "newness" or novelty that this hasn't been done before or not quite in this way. For example Watch Dogs seemed like a next gen game to me because of how you can manipulate the world around you and some of the small attention to detail in the animations etc.

This game looks like a middle of the road zombie game. I'm not seeing any innovation and I think that's largely because I'm not impressed by the tablet features.

You know i want to believe that so badly,but i'm just tired of third parties bs and Nintendo to a lesser extent.I'm not going to get hyped anymore until i see the games with my own eyes.

It's a totally different team making this game. The RS comparisons are silly.

ZombiU is made by Ubisoft Montpellier.
Red Steel was made by Ubisoft Paris.

So SteeloDMZ has a point here.

Ubisoft Montpellier is also responsible for the Rayman games (Origins and Legends) and Beyond Good & Evil, so yeah, ZombiU will probably be quite good.

Shahadan

It's a totally different team making this game. The RS comparisons are silly.

The team doesn't decide on budget, time constraints, and what they're told to do.
Not to mention that this was killer freak last year. A total reskin isn't done in two months. If the game is destined to be released at launch, it must be nearly done by now.
The game may be decent, but we shouldn't expect anything truly polished.

It's not just Red Steel.

But you can't forget that between 2006 and 2009 we were constantly laughing at ubisoft and appalled by its effort on Wii. And you surely can't forget Red Steel. I enjoyed it, btw, but it was garbage on multiple levels and it was not only because of the team's skills.

Edit : Also, reskinning a game that was somewhat original (although rather unappealling) as a generic zombie shooter screams "rushed launch product" to me.

On a more speculative note, I wouldn't be surprised if Nintendo asked Ubi to make a "hardcore" title to show off at the conference, which may have prompted the skin job.

I'm not just talking about graphics though I just mean a sense of "newness" or novelty that this hasn't been done before or not quite in this way. For example Watch Dogs seemed like a next gen game to me because of how you can manipulate the world around you and some of the small attention to detail in the animations etc.

This game looks like a middle of the road zombie game. I'm not seeing any innovation and I think that's largely because I'm not impressed by the tablet features.
The best word that I can describe my feeling about watch dog, is that it was full of promises, but like those promises which we hear from Peter Molyneux; those that will end up being just shallow 'gameplay' gimmicks

overall I am becoming disappointed with video games; just few titles here and there that I truly want to play

Donnie

I think it's more or less a Wii situation

I don't agree on it being more our less a Wii situation, not even close IMO.

Xbox 3 and PS4 would need to be something like 12GB of RAM, DX13 GPU with 8000 ALUs and a 18 core OOE CPU. Basically high end PCs from 2015/16

Edit : Also, reskinning a game that was somewhat original (although rather unappealling) as a generic zombie shooter screams "rushed launch product" to me.

job.

I wouldn't say it looks like a generic zombie shooter at all. From what has been shown this looks like it could potentially be e best survivor horror title in years.

MDX

Graphically, Zombi U isn’t enormously impressive – this is early code,

Im sure this goes without saying right? Nobody assumes this is how the game will
look when its finished, right?

Shiggy

Im sure this goes without saying right? Nobody assumes this is how the game will

Are you serious? It's a launch title.

pulga

Banned
I just wish they change it's name. ZombiU sounds ridiculous. It needs a better name if Ubi and Nintendo want the "hardcore" to take the Wii U seriously.

I wouldn't say early code but you do realize demo's aren't simply locking up portions of the current build of the game. They often take some time to create and are usually from earlier versions. Not to mention, considering it's months to launch, the graphics will almost assuredly improve

KrawlMan

I'm pretty sure that this is very close to how the game will look when it is released. They might change a few things here and there, but they have less than 6 months before release. I'm willing to bet that portion of the game shown of at E3 was pushed to be as close to a final product as they could manage.

I'm pretty sure that this is very close to how the game will look when it is released. They might change a few things here and there, but they have less than 6 months before release. I'm willing to bet that portion of the game shown of at E3 was pushed to be as close to a final product as they could manage.

That's...seldom the case. Demo's take time to create. Devs don't usually put more effort into them than they can get away with, especially considering that since launch is only a few months away it's starting to get into crunch time where they want to devote as much time to the actual game as possible

jman2050

Demos are usually offshoots of whatever stable code base exists at the time. Current working code is almost never stable enough for demonstration purposes.

I don't agree on it being more our less a Wii situation, not even close IMO.

Xbox 3 and PS4 would need to be something like 12GB of RAM, DX13 GPU with 8000 ALUs and a 18 core OOE CPU. Basically high end PCs from 2015/16

Either way the same problem will occur with developers unable to develop the same game on the Wii U because the other consoles are more powerful.

Looks good enough for me. The lightning alone is great and I'm sold on the game rules and ideas anyway.

It's not going to be a graphical powerhouse, but then again, they switched development from a 360 game to the WiiU last year, and switched the whole scenario again during this year, so yeah, expecting this game to be a graphical showcase is a bit far fetched.

But it still looks decent enough.

I truly hope that the actual game world is huge. In the interview they talked about someone surviving up to 3 hours and about open world. If true then this might just become my favorite game of 2012^^

Hypatia

So how linear is this game?

From the videos the level design looks pretty linear which doesn't exactly scream replayability... especially if you end up dying as much as the demo players are. I hope theres at least multiple routes to the same point otherwise dying a lot would make things a chore.

Enemy spawns seem pretty static too and I haven't heard any mention of side missions or being able to choose which main missions you do...

So how linear is this game?

From the videos the level design looks pretty linear which doesn't exactly scream replayability... especially if you end up dying as much as the demo players are. I hope theres at least multiple routes to the same point otherwise dying a lot would make things a chore.

Enemy spawns seem pretty static too and I haven't heard any mention of side missions or being able to choose which main missions you do...

are you talking about the game demo?

no word yet on the main game

Argyle

So, I played this in MP at E3 (the tablet vs. controller mode).

I was playing on the tablet, so I have no comment on graphics, etc. My friend who was playing on the controller felt the controls were imprecise (lots of oversteer, aim assist not working that well), for what that's worth.

The object of this mode is to get four points, and you earn points by capturing a flag. Since I was focused on the tablet I don't know what the exact rules are for flag captures - it seemed like it is not a pure tug of war (for example, if your opponent partially captures a flag, you do not have to undo his progress before you can start capturing it yourself). There are three flag points on the map, and once a flag is captured, that capture point is disabled for a while before it resets.

On the tablet, you basically place zombies on the map. You have a hard population cap of 10 zombies with a gradually refilling "resource" meter, and you cannot give orders to zombies that are already placed. There are four types of zombies, each with different behaviors - a drone (10 pts) that only tries to (slowly) capture a flag, a guard (3 pts) that stays in place and will only pursue the other player if they approach, a hunter (4 pts) that always shambles towards the other player, and a sprinter (12 pts) that is like a hunter, but way faster. (I don't remember all the names, but that is the basic functionality). You can also delete zombies if you hit the pop cap and need to reassign them, and you cannot place zombies within a certain radius of the other player.

Capturing flags is very slow on the infected side, this is because that player can effectively be in two places at once. The human/controller/survivor player must be standing in the radius of the flag and I think that no zombies can be nearby for him to capture. To help him out there are powerups strewn throughout the level, including stationary turrets which can be placed strategically to help him lock down the capture points.

All in all, it was a fun diversion, but I'm not sure how well it will scale up to more than two players. It's an interesting twist on competitive couch gameplay, though.

Launch day will be a heavy costs day.

Ouch.

This ^^ lol

I'm looking at getting ZombiU, Arkham City, Aliens Colonial Marines, the Rabbids game, Pikmin 3 and Lego City Undercover at launch with Rayman Legends, Ninja Gaiden Razor's Edge and Assassin's Creed 3 at a later date, probably for Crimbo depending on when the U launches.

I was pretty disappointed when I first heard they'd dropped Freaks for a zombie game but after reading several hands-on reports and seeing video footage of the game in action I'm actually looking forward to it more than I was Freaks. I'd still like to see Freaks coming to the U eventually though, the humour was right up my street and the prospect of having a cockney protagonist saying "Ave it!!!" and "Fack orf!!!" as he blows Mutant Killer Rabbids away was excellent lol.

If ZombiU, as I suspect it will, sells gangbusters we may see a sequel or two set in different cities, Paris would be excellent lol. Will be a chance of revenge for being forced to kill fellow Brits lololol

effzee

This ^^ lol

I'm looking at getting ZombiU, Arkham City, Aliens Colonial Marines, the Rabbids game, Pikmin 3 and Lego City Undercover at launch with Rayman Legends, Ninja Gaiden Razor's Edge and Assassin's Creed 3 at a later date, probably for Crimbo depending on when the U launches.

I was pretty disappointed when I first heard they'd dropped Freaks for a zombie game but after reading several hands-on reports and seeing video footage of the game in action I'm actually looking forward to it more than I was Freaks. I'd still like to see Freaks coming to the U eventually though, the humour was right up my street and the prospect of having a cockney protagonist saying "Ave it!!!" and "Fack orf!!!" as he blows Mutant Killer Rabbids away was excellent lol.

If ZombiU, as I suspect it will, sells gangbusters we may see a sequel or two set in different cities, Paris would be excellent lol. Will be a chance of revenge for being forced to kill fellow Brits lololol

Aliens Colonial Marines has been delayed to Feb 2013.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
I have a bad feeling that this game is going to be very small/short.

Other then that, I am heavily anticipating it after all the positive news/hands-on.

Other then that, I am heavily anticipating it after all the positive news/hands-on.

Yeah, it seems geared toward a second or third playthrough since they challenge you to complete it with one character. My kind of game though.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4

Comparing this to the latest Uncharted and well. It just looks really piss poor. I just can't believe how low resolution the textures look. Isn't WiiU meant to have at least 3 times the memory of PS360 and virtually free AA.

Condemned: Criminal Origins looked better then this and that was a launch title back in 2005.

2005 folks. That's 7 years ago.

It's a disaster.

GDGF

Soothsayer
Yeah, it seems gear toward a second or third playthrough since they challenge you to complete it with one character. My kind of game though.

Seems like the deepest arcade game ever, and that's OK in my book.

I'm one of those old guys. I miss the pre fighting game scene of the arcade.

antonz

Comparing this to the latest Uncharted and well. It just looks really piss poor. I just can't believe how low resolution the textures look. Isn't WiiU meant to have at least 3 times the memory of PS360 and virtually free AA.

Condemned: Criminal Origins looked better then this and that was a launch title back in 2005.

It's a disaster.

You keep saying this and you are wrong. Maybe you should spend some time with Condemned today instead of with Nostalgia.

I dont know why you would compare this with Uncharted. This isn't a AAAAA Game made by the premier team of the company.This is a launch title . Half of Sonys own output cant match uncharted

Instro

It's a disaster.

It's a shame people can't discuss things without wild hyperbole.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.

It's a disaster.

We get it. We get it from your posts.

We get it from your avatar.

WE GET IT.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
I honestly think that:

a lot of people is still upset with the conf. and I'm one of those.
this game doesn't show any particular effort in the graphic department, but at the same time show something middle-good for a minor team early/launch game
this game shows a lot of interesting gameplay ideas and gamepad uses
this game could improve a little bit before release in terms of texture

i really really hope that this game will not be affected by red steel framerate and pad implementations issues

if so, I think this could be a really interesting launch title

Sadist

I'm hearing a lot of good buzz around this one. My twitter feed has several articles commenting on the fun stuff. Color me surprised.

pakkit

Banned

It's a disaster.

Having played Criminal Origins last month, you're undoubtedly wrong. Animations, effects, and ambience all look stronger with ZombiU. It's not a real looker, that's for sure, but I was expecting graphical fidelity similar to that of the PS360 when the WiiU was announced. As with the previous Wii console, WiiU looks to differentiate itself through control and interface instead of poly pushing.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
You keep saying this and you are wrong. Maybe you should spend some time with Condemned today instead of with Nostalgia.

I dont know why you would compare this with Uncharted. This isn't a AAAAA Game made by the premier team of the company.This is a launch title . Half of Sonys own output cant match uncharted

Condemned looks better. No doubt about it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s7__uBhMw7k

That's what the DLCs are going to be fore, lol

It's a disaster.
may I smoke a bit too?

plus, how is it fair to compare it to the latest Uncharted?

Xbox 360 had 10x jump from PS2/GC/Xbox, yet some titles looked worse than GoW2, RE4 GC, SotC, etc. in at least many areas

Now you expect this to look better than what is arguably a contender for the best looking game released in the history of video games?

Top Bottom