• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[N-Conf] ZombiU for WiiU

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Loving all the roguelike comparisons, definitely interested in this. What the hell Ubi?
From Red Steel 1 to this is a huge step up :D

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
I love the concept, and the impressions sound great- just hope this has enough content and polish for a launch game.

antonz

I know they've touched on friends seeing your zombie self online or something but has further online details been given or multiplayer in general? I feel this is important.

Also what is the goal of the game? I see that there are short, objective based missions but to what end?

There is apparently some overarching story to it all. They mention a group called the ravens were preparing for the outbreak ahead of time and that the guy talking to you on the walki has his own secrets etc

Exeunt

After watching that 15 minute video (which seems to be the same demo that the earlier Kotaku impressions were based on), I'm cautiously optimistic about this title. While I miss the concept of pointer controls to easily look around the environment, having the realtime inventory management and map on the GamePad sounds like a pretty interesting hook—especially since the game will send zombies after you if you're idling. I'm a little worried that repeatedly backtracking after you die could get tiresome after a while, especially since the game looks and sounds rather challenging. It also looks a lot more linear than it sounded at first, but that could just be for the purposes of the demo. I'll keep my eye on this one.

If that is what's in the GPU and they bother using them to their benefit to begin with. Plus most middleware won't be designed to take advantage of something like that.

You know that doesn't make sense considering what you responded to.

Ah, so there's no confirmation on that then..? Would certainly make games built from the ground up for the U more impressive though.

Still, the fact that the GPU can handle a HD display and 2 ED displays at once bodes well I think.

The more I'm hearing about ZombiU the more I want to play the bloomin thing!!! Wish I lived in the States lol.

dkeane

Wow, didn't know anything about this and watched the ign video. Looks really fun. A real survival horror game.

ZombiU: Taking "Kill Yourself" to a whole new level.

Ah, so there's no confirmation on that then..? Would certainly make games built from the ground up for the U more impressive though.

Still, the fact that the GPU can handle a HD display and 2 ED displays at once bodes well I think.

The more I'm hearing about ZombiU the more I want to play the bloomin thing!!! Wish I lived in the States lol.

What I mean is we don't know how these improvements are accomplished. Fixed functions is just one idea.

Inmolatus

But, but there are
ghosts
?? wasnt this a pure zombie survival game?

Also it seems it doesnt matter that you change character after you die, since you will "respawn" more o less where you left you other character.

Hopes as well as hype going down, this seems way more casual that what I expected after first videos, as well as less sandbox (nothing close to dayz).

But, but there are
ghosts
?? wasnt this a pure zombie survival game?

Also it seems it doesnt matter that you change character after you die, since you will "respawn" more o less where you left you other character.

Hopes as well as hype going down, this seems way more casual that what I expected after first videos, as well as less sandbox (nothing close to dayz).

Ummm no you don't. You spawn back from the beginning. The only reason the people were near their last character is cause they died early.

antonz

The Demo like almost all game demos is very much linear. The whole point is you are given a task on the showfloor and told go do it.

They have stated the actual game is mostly a large open london though yes you get objectives to do and such

dwu8991

Banned
The Demo like almost all game demos is very much linear. The whole point is you are given a task on the showfloor and told go do it.

They have stated the actual game is mostly a large open london though yes you get objectives to do and such

I must say I got a Metroid Prime vibe !!!

Inmolatus

Ummm no you don't. You spawn back from the beginning. The only reason the people were near their last character is cause they died early.

What I meant is that I though you would spawn in a totally different place, depending on the new character's background story, having to walk your way to where you died if you wanted items back. Not in the same place with a quicktravel option to the last checkpoint.

Was Killer Freaks always a zombie game? I have this theory that, realizing how saturated the market is with zombie games, they decided on the roguelike structure in order to help the game stand out.

I'm still hoping that we'll see it, like I said before the humour was right up my street lol.

I'm also wondering if we're going to see a sequel to ZombiU, I can see this game flying off shelves. A publisher is pretty much guaranteed to have a launch title go platinum but I can't see this being anything but a remarkable success, the hype is building already and we've only known about it for a few days!!!

ZombiU2 has a nice ring to it and I want it set in Paris so that us Brits can even the score a little lol.

This game is going to be a phenomenon, I thought that Aliens Colonial Marines was going to be the perfect title to showcase the new controller but ZombiU, especially given its delay, is going to be THE title to showcase the controller and the Miiverse online infrastructure too.

I haven't been so hyped for a game in years!!!! :Oo

BD1

Banned
The more we hear, the better it sounds.

The idea of having to look at the GamePad in real time while Zombies hunt you is awesome. Such s clever esy to capture the tension of the situation. It also sounds like there is a lot of cool online additions they're adding, and it's really embracing the social aspects of Wii U.

I bet there are will be a lot of Miis congregating at the ZombiU tile on MiiVerse at launch. ;-)

Gummb

Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about Rayman Legends Wii U.
just watched the IGN stuff... wow... it looks good. Will buy!

thats actually really cool, thanks for sharing that! I never knew about this game and figured the Zombi spelling was just some bad marketing ploy like Petz and Imaginez.

Also
fmCzW.png

its not hard to imagine those 4 (with some changes) being Wesker, Jill, Barry and Chris, and that helicopter is also a bit familiar

Ha! RE crew in full effect!

Comparing this to the latest Uncharted and well. It just looks really piss poor. I just can't believe how low resolution the textures look. Isn't WiiU meant to have at least 3 times the memory of PS360 and virtually free AA.

Condemned: Criminal Origins looked better then this and that was a launch title back in 2005.

2005 folks. That's 7 years ago.

It's a disaster.

Either you need new eyes, or you are blatantly trolling. Criminal Origins? The game that had Mario 64 polygon models as a main character? Even the lightning which was impressive back then is vastly simpler.

The hyperbole knows no bounds at E3 it seems.

Did the Wii U community thread got closed?

Yeah, it seems like everyone disbanded. It's really quite sad to have rampant imagination and dreams crushed by reality... except sobering up after the conference, I still have very strong hopes indeed (just beyond confused at Nintendo's conference structures the past two years).

[Also, it is heaps excellent to see our favourite tangerine gelatinous blob still making the rounds!~ bgassassin for next 1-8 Yoshi's Island boss plz)

ALSO, who would have thought... Ubisoft could potentially have the best third party launch software for a Nintendo platform. MAYBE even the best...?

Ryoku

We must begin a new community thread dedicated to Wii U in order to bring everyone back together :p

I plan on buying this game and playing it in complete darkness, with only the television and the gamepad lighting up. Holy crap will I get scared to death.....

Enkidu

What I meant is that I though you would spawn in a totally different place, depending on the new character's background story, having to walk your way to where you died if you wanted items back. Not in the same place with a quicktravel option to the last checkpoint.
While I obviously don't know how it will be in the complete game, in the demo it's pretty clear that they've just taken areas and hacked together a semi-coherent demo. The quicktravel looks like it is probably just for the purpose of the demo (although I obviously can't say for sure).

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Just read an awesome Zombi U interview on VentureBeat:
http://venturebeat.com/2012/06/04/w...-lot-of-resources-into-wii-u-games-interview/

Zombie U is really dedicated to what the second screen can bring to the experience of a zombie survival game. We like to say that it’s two screens, twice the feel. So we’re getting a lot of what this new screen can bring to the tension, bring to the game.

When you play alone, you only play with the new game pad, using all the features I was mentioning. It’s when you play multiplayer, where if you’re playing in the same room, one player is using it as the zombie master, putting the zombies on the map, and the others are playing with the usual standard pad.

It’s an asymmetrical experience. One of the players uses the usual controllers, the other one has the game pad. Of course, if you were playing adversarial on the same objective, then it won’t be fair, because one player has the tactical screen and stuff. So we decided to go for adversarial where… It’s very funny. One person with the classic controller plays FPS against the zombies. The other one is the zombie master, selecting types of zombies and, by pressing on the screen, making them appear on the maps. It’s very interesting. You’re the computer, so to speak, and the other player is playing against you. It’s a really new way of playing, it’s very interesting.
So if I’m playing Zombie U and I can’t get rid of one specific zombie, I can direct with the controller, I go into the community and say, I’m totally blocked on this one, and all the other people from the community giving you answers. They really want to make sure that every gamer is connected to either friends or other gamers that are playing the same games. It’s a good strategy.

I wasn't sure but he confirmed it's a launch title.

After watching that 15 minute video (which seems to be the same demo that the earlier Kotaku impressions were based on), I'm cautiously optimistic about this title. While I miss the concept of pointer controls to easily look around the environment, having the realtime inventory management and map on the GamePad sounds like a pretty interesting hook—especially since the game will send zombies after you if you're idling. I'm a little worried that repeatedly backtracking after you die could get tiresome after a while, especially since the game looks and sounds rather challenging. It also looks a lot more linear than it sounded at first, but that could just be for the purposes of the demo. I'll keep my eye on this one.
I'll miss pointer controls too but seeing the footage it is very slow paced in its approach so I guess I'll manage. I do hope they implement gyro/motion/etc. controls though, RE:R's were great.

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.

We allowed to restart a new one, we just can't have the word "speculation" in the title? *shrugs*

I suggest calling it an "Anticipation" thread:

The Wii U Anticipation Thread

-----

I just hope the game turns out hella fun and its gets enough attention to be one of the better selling launch games. We can wait the version that will fully utilize the console's capabilities when they make the sequel, Zombi U2.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
I'm really interested in this game.

For many reasons:

- very interesting gameplay ideas
- very nice uses of the gamepad
- real survivor horror feeling (both for the atmosphere and the gameplay)
- very nice online integration with Miiverse (hidden messages, "superguide" twits, zombified buddies...)
- asimetric multiplayer mode confirmed
- decent graphics (decent, not claiming nothing great)

Only fears I have: the demo seems linear; the demo seems short. these obvious facts could change in the final game, but I would like to ask you if someone has understood the "structure" of the game. Is it so short as an arcade game? No checkpoint or savepoint etc... Do you start every time from the beginning of the game, if you die? always from the same spot?

Couple of things that I'd like to see:

Asymmetrical mode supporting more than one player on the Pro controller, it seems like this is a 1v1 affair at the moment unfortunately.

Online multiplayer with multiple gamepads, doesn't have to be a story or anything - just a straight up survival affair, having to work together in order to get supplies etc and then wait until rescue.

This has certainly piqued my interest. The gameplay footage looks very promising. So glad it isn't a generic zombie shooter and has some actual ambition behind it.

Donnie

Either way the same problem will occur with developers unable to develop the same game on the Wii U because the other consoles are more powerful.

Disagree, developers were unable to port a lot of their engines to Wii because it was not only a generation behind in processing power but also at generation behind in functionality (DX7 fixed function vs DX9 programmable).

WiiU won't be anywhere near a generation behind on either.

It really only comes down to whether developers want to downgrade their assets for the console.

Donnie

Comparing this to the latest Uncharted and well. It just looks really piss poor. I just can't believe how low resolution the textures look. Isn't WiiU meant to have at least 3 times the memory of PS360 and virtually free AA.

Condemned: Criminal Origins looked better then this and that was a launch title back in 2005.

2005 folks. That's 7 years ago.

It's a disaster.

You might want to look back at the game rather than relying on nostalgia:

Comdemned Criminal Origins (360):

10317_condemned-criminal-origins-screenshots-20051029060507631.jpg

oxcgn-condemned-criminal-origins.jpg

Yes look at those oh so high res textures..

Log4Girlz

You might want to look back at the game rather than relying on nostalgia:

Comdemned Criminal Origins (360):

10317_condemned-criminal-origins-screenshots-20051029060507631.jpg

oxcgn-condemned-criminal-origins.jpg

Yes look at those oh so high res textures..

Doesn't look that much worse than Zombi U. Considering the Wii U is more modern than the HD Twins I expected that shit to look closer to Watch Dogs than Condemned.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Doesn't look that much worse than Zombi U. Considering the Wii U is more modern than the HD Twins I expected that shit to look closer to Watch Dogs than Condemned.
What does the WiiU's power have to do with what this game looks like? It's also getting games like Assassin's Creed 3 which look far more taxing so, the system is proven to be at least on par with the PS360. To know if it can do better or not you'll have to wait for an exclusive AAA game, which has yet to show up. Not every game is equal, not even on PC. Left 4 Dead 2 sure didn't look next gen. Do we really need to be told how this game doesn't look like the latest AAA blobkbuster in every page? I mean, it's the same with the opposite situation too, Ninja Gaiden having extra features added for WiiU, or Trine 2 running in higher resolution, don't suddenly prove it's better than PS360 either. Some games fully utilise a system's strengths, some don't, for many reasons.

Log4Girlz

What does the WiiU's power have to do with what this game looks like? It's also getting games like Assassin's Creed 3 which look far more taxing so, whatever, the system is proven to be at least on par with the PS360, to know if it can do better or not you'll have to wait for an exclusive AAA game, which has yet to show up. Not every game is equal, not even on PC. Left 4 Dead 2 sure didn't look next gen. Do we really need to be told how this game doesn't look like the latest AAA blobkbuster in every page?

I for one would not show off anything so mediocre looking, but I'm not running a multi-billion dollar videogame company, naturally. Looks fun though.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
More Zombi U multiplayer details from a banned site:

The multiplayer game was basically a version of capture the flag, but with a few modifications. There were four flag points on the map that needed to be captured. Instead of grabbing flags, you had to stand at a flag spot for a certain amount of time. Eventually this would allow you to claim the flag point for yourself, much like King of the Hill modes in other games. Sounds pretty standard until you realize how multiplayer works.

If you're playing as the survivor side of things, it's going to be you up against a never-ending army of zombies. You'll have to defend your flag points that you've captured from invading zombies, but you also need to keep them off your back as you capture flag points. Again, this all sounds like pretty standard FPS multiplayer. That's because the survivor aspect of multiplayer is. The infected side of things is much different.

Playing as the infected gives you a bird's eye view via the Wii U GamePad screen. You're looking down on the entire level, including where the flag points are. This map is also running in real time, meaning you can see where the survivor is and where they're running to. It's your job to stop them from grabbing flag points, and you do that by dropping down zombies into the level.

The GamePad player can only place zombies in areas of the map that aren't colored red. Red zones show you where you can't start a zombie off. Any other part of the map is fair game. All you do is tap a spot and that spawns a zombie in the level. You can then take a look up at the TV and watch your zombie hunt down the survivor and hopefully take them out!

Even more interesting is the fact that you have 4 different zombie types to choose from. One zombie type is super fast by easy to take down. The other types involve different power and speed levels, and using the right zombies in the right places can lead to you taking out the survivor in the middle of their plan. The perfect combination can allow you to block off the survivor from all directions and swarm all at once.

Furthermore, the zombies can actually capture flag points as well! That means you can take out the survivor to win or try to capture all four flag points as zombies. It's completely up to your own interest in strategies. I found myself really getting into the plotting of what zombie went where and then watched the TV to see how my plans played out.

I honestly was very impressed with ZombieU. The game was still rough around the edges, but that's to be expected with it being currently under development. My interest in ZombiU was on the fence until I played today. The game's multiplayer mode absolutely sold me on the title, as I found it to be truly unique and engaging, all while it put a twist on the familiar FPS multiplayer modes we all know.
Hats off to Ubisoft Montpellier. Exploiting the Gamepad this well for a launch title is quite an achievement.

remnant

Banned
I for one would not show off anything so mediocre looking, but I'm not running a multi-billion dollar videogame company, naturally. Looks fun though.
Seriously why are people trying so hard to troll this game. From comparing it to PC condemned to now just moving goalposts every 20 minutes.

Yeah it doesn't look as good as watch dogs. We knew that 14 pages ago. Do u think you are going to convince people to ignore the fact that impressions and gameplay look great?

let's see, I honestly want to see if ever give it a thought:

- 360 is ~10 times more powerful that PS2
- 360 launch games could look worse than some PS2 games (GoWII, SotC)
- 360 games 'still' look crap compared to Crysis on PC, released 5 years ago

Now our situation

- Wii U is ~2-4 times more powerful than 360
- ZombiU footage was pre-launch
- Watch Dog ran on a high end PC and may not be released well into 2013 or even 2014

You expect ZombiU to look better than Watch Dog...

Hats off to Ubisoft Montpellier. Exploiting the Gamepad this well for a launch title is quite an achievement.
I was skeptic about them ditching the rabbids; but I have only heard praise for the game till now

Top Bottom