• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[N-Conf] ZombiU for WiiU

2006 hardware vs 2012 hardware. The games should at the very least look like something done on a mid range PC. It's woeful.
how fair is it when we are almost sure it may not cost even half of PS3 when it launched and will not be on piss poor hardware to go RROD?

---
plus, the video you linked of condemned, did you check the tags?

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
2006 hardware vs 2012 hardware. The games should at the very least look like something done on a mid range PC. It's woeful.
Do you live in a universe where every PC game looks like The Witcher 2's best parts or something? Not that a mid range PC would handle that well but anyway, in the one I live it's more common to get games not even on par with Batman, and I also don't tend to judge my PC's visual capabilities by a few games here and there that don't happen to have the biggest budgets behind them. Not to mention people love PC games made in outdated engines like Source with low-end friendly assets without being embarassed. I'm not really sure what you're arguing here. No, ZombiU isn't the latest AAA blockbuster. That's been settled I think. So, what now? What's the point in stating it over and over and over again when others simply try to discuss its actual potential as a game? It's been established the system is at least on par with PS360 since it's getting a few rather big (if forgotten by the time it's out) multiplatform ports so what's the purpose of constantly pointing out this or that game doesn't even reach that level?

evangd007

Condemned looks better. No doubt about it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s7__uBhMw7k

Trying to prove a point and breaking out the PC version? Bad form.

As far as I'm concerned, the effects are quite good, offset by the assets, which may have been a deliberate sacrifice for time considerations and IQ (which, you know, is easy to achieve on PC). I find this to be perfectly acceptable.

Just read about the zombified friends invading your game feature. Love it.

I just think the lackluser conference left a bad taste in us; but the actual stuff isn't really that bad; we'll take time for the bad taste to be washed away though and till then even good stuff will look bad

If devs put forth the effort. Don't forget that part.

Well those features wouldn't have been available till probably the last kit, and remember those were delayed due to Nintendo's extended tweaking.

Not forgetting that until a month or two before launch Nintendo will be constantly tweaking clocks, power and cooling. Developing a launch or launch window title for a console is a major pain in the arse. Almost makes me glad that I'm not working in the industry anymore. Too bloomin stressful!!!

So are we talking about a mixture of fixed functions and traditional programable shaders again..? Would certainly give developers 'free' use of lighting or AA for example.

I know that nothing has really been mentioned on any sort of multiplayer mechanic, but does anyone else feel like there should be a Demon/Dark souls like Co-op component to this game? Almost seems like a waste that we should be relegated to random survivors ourselves when they could just as easily add a co-op experience in which other players join your game, or you join their game as a survivor.

Co-op play should never be a part of any survival horror game. I'm not going to be buying Dead Space 3 purely because they've shoehorned co-op play. Co-op play automatically turns a survival horror game into an action game. The Resident Evil franchise has been crippled by it this gen. The whole point of any survival horror game is that it's you, isolated and alone, against seemingly insurmountable odds. With the exception of Silent Hill Shattered Memories this gen has been very poor for proper survival horror goodness.

The best thing about ZombiU is that it's more Resident Evil than Resident Evils 4, 5 and 6. We really don't need co-op play to turn it into yet another action game.

I'm still fuming about EA ruining Dead Space 3 tbh. You're not going to have anywhere near the same tense atmosphere and scares that the first two games had playing the game alongside another person.

linko9

Really neat impressions for Kotaku, this game is sounding like it should be pretty good. Obviously when you hear "Zombie shooter" you don't expect much innovations, but it sounds like this game is pretty fresh. I'll wait for more info, but it sounds like I might very well be picking this game up.

Reading this I could almost feel the tension!

Everyone still calling the 2nd screen a "gimmick" should read this for further discussions.

anyone still calling the 2nd screen a gimmick on this game is just trolling

If you can feel the tension just by reading a few words and/or watching playthroughs then you know you have something unique

Really neat impressions for Kotaku, this game is sounding like it should be pretty good. Obviously when you hear "Zombie shooter" you don't expect much innovations, but it sounds like this game is pretty fresh. I'll wait for more info, but it sounds like I might very well be picking this game up.

yeah the problem with this game is its another zombie game and no one knows this is an old Ubisoft IP

Zombi_box.jpg

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm

If you can feel the tension just by reading a few words and/or watching playthroughs then you know you have something unique
Screams next gen to me. Resident Evil needs to reboot on Wii U.

zroid

Banned
ZombiU looks very good and those impressions are even better. Surprise hit in the cooking, friends.

Definitely. This has to be the showfloor surprise of E3. Watch_Dogs may have blown everyone away at the pressers, but I don't think anyone expected ZombiU to be so interesting until they got their hands on it.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Whats the story?

Wiki Article said:
the player controlling four protagonists exploring a zombie-filled shopping mall. It draws from many parts of the film, including the gunshops, the escalators, and the articulated trucks used to block the entrances. If a character's health was depleted, he turned into a zombie, which then roamed the room they died in

Definitely inspired by the original game.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Zombi U got a lot of praise by Gameblog (French) as well

They say it marks the return of "real" survival horror games.
Wow he did fall in love with the game! "genius", "best Wii U game", "starts saving money for it".

So Wii U has its killer app :) From Ubisoft, which also gives Wii U a Rayman exclusive. Nintendo can be grateful.

_Ace_

Unconfirmed Member
Wow he did fall in love with the game! "genius", "best Wii U game", "starts saving money for it".

So Wii U has its killer app :) From Ubisoft, which also gives Wii U a Rayman exclusive. Nintendo can be grateful.

Indeed

Hi, trolls. Please try to rail on this game for reasons other than visuals (which look completely fine). People who have played it seem to find it quite engaging and fun, making great use the hardware. The Wii U will have alot in common with the Wii philosophically, just come to terms with that. It will not try to compete with the upcoming gen4 consoles graphically, but focus on offering something different.

Whether or not the masses find this new offering to be as appealing as the Wii is yet to be seen, but if this game is any indication, avid gamers are in store for some awesome stuff. Who cares if it's not pushing the forefront of visual fidelity?! That might even work to it's benefit, making it less expensive to develop for in the long run. Kudos to Ubisoft

Sincerely,
Many of us

yeah the problem with this game is its another zombie game and no one knows this is an old Ubisoft IP

Zombi_box.jpg

thats actually really cool, thanks for sharing that! I never knew about this game and figured the Zombi spelling was just some bad marketing ploy like Petz and Imaginez.

Also
fmCzW.png

its not hard to imagine those 4 (with some changes) being Wesker, Jill, Barry and Chris, and that helicopter is also a bit familiar

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
This game looks great. Fresh gameplay ideas married to decent presentation. I really don't get the graphical complaints. I buy games to play and enjoy them, not study their texture resolution.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Some nice footage there, some very nice moody areas.

But it seems like the game will be more linear and have a story rather than be sandbox like it sounded at first.

And the extra survivors are basically Vita Chambers, except they make you work for it a little more, and reward you for not dying.

Still nice concepts all around though, and that's better than quicksave/load since it's more integrated than it was in Bioshock.

antonz

Liked hearing about the confirmation of a nightmare mode where you only have 1 life and no other survivors to jump too

ugoo18

Any word on possible Wiimote support?

I've heard about a Zombie master multiplayer mode (Same as Multiplayer in Killer Freaks) is this true?

I think it's neat that they made it into a pseudo sequel to their very first game, I'd call that an honor.

Aside from this, does Ubisoft even have a survival horror of their own?

zroid

Banned
ooooh man, at the end of that IGN demo when
Joe suddenly realizes he's out of shotgun ammo and virucide... that was just glorious

This game looks great. Fresh gameplay ideas married to decent presentation. I really don't get the graphical complaints. I buy games to play and enjoy them, not study their texture resolution.

Graphics look perfectly serviceable to me too. Doesn't wow me by any stretch but then very few games do.

watershed

Banned
I know they've touched on friends seeing your zombie self online or something but has further online details been given or multiplayer in general? I feel this is important.

Also what is the goal of the game? I see that there are short, objective based missions but to what end?

Not forgetting that until a month or two before launch Nintendo will be constantly tweaking clocks, power and cooling. Developing a launch or launch window title for a console is a major pain in the arse. Almost makes me glad that I'm not working in the industry anymore. Too bloomin stressful!!!

So are we talking about a mixture of fixed functions and traditional programable shaders again..? Would certainly give developers 'free' use of lighting or AA for example.

If that is what's in the GPU and they bother using them to their benefit to begin with. Plus most middleware won't be designed to take advantage of something like that.

Either way the same problem will occur with developers unable to develop the same game on the Wii U because the other consoles are more powerful.

You know that doesn't make sense considering what you responded to.

Top Bottom