• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[N-Conf] ZombiU for WiiU

ivysaur12

Banned
It looks like a PS3/360 game to me, and don't first-gen games on new systems generally look like late-cycle games on the previous gen?
It's like you're just trying to pick a fight or something, the game looks pretty good, and they have time to polish it up before release.

The game is being released in 2012 on a system with (slightly better than) 2006 tech, with 3rd party developers (like Ubi) who have become quite comfortable with HD tech for over half a decade of console development.

It should look considerably better, or at least up the standard of current PS360 games. It does not.

remnant

Banned
The game is being released in 2012 on a system with (slightly better than) 2006 tech, with 3rd party developers (like Ubi) who have become quite comfortable with HD tech for over half a decade of console development.

It should look considerably better, or at least up the standard of current PS360 games. It does not.
This looks better than any 360/PS3 launch game and mind you this isn't the only one.

The game isn't finished but so far it looks fine.

GDGF

Soothsayer

They've got about four or five months to polish it up.

ivysaur12

Banned
This looks better than any 360/PS3 launch game and mind you this isn't the only one.

The game isn't finished but so far it looks fine.

I think it looks about on par with Condemned. Which isn't good, considering it's 6 years later and the WiiU is supposedly more powerful than the PS360.

They've got about four or five months to polish it up.

Yes, I know, as I mentioned. But I don't have a crystal ball, I'm talking about that right now, the game looks ugly.

Terrell

IGN compared to a Wii game when viewing it on the show floor. It looks ugly on the GameTrailers playthrough. The game is ugly and looks like an early PS360 game, like I said here:

But if you say so, I totally said it looked like a Wii game!

So instead, you're saying that anything that's got the appearance of a mid-cycle current gen game is ugly. K.

And considering we essentially agreed on how it looked, why be so rudely defensive and just state where the misunderstanding was?

Perhaps it's time to take a deep breath and step away from the keyboard for a moment.

nintendo_take_break_final_break_lg.jpg

Log4Girlz

Considering Ubi's other statements we now know why it looks the way it does. Its meant to be ported to IOS and other such devices. There is no effort to make it look any better than it does to simplify porting.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
I think it looks about on par with Condemned. Which isn't good, considering it's 6 years later and the WiiU is supposedly more powerful than the PS360.
Have you seen Condemned recently? But is not like looking better than Ps3/360 launch games is an achievement. >-<

Thraktor

Thats true. It seems primarily its only Single Player thats changed as local multiplayer is identicla just zombies now instead of monsters. They changed Single Player from An Arcade score shooter. The Permadeath concept etc and survival aspect makes single player rather easy to develop. The big issue will be how much space do we get to survive in

Are you sure the multiplayer is identical? Last year the multiplayer was a sort of FPS/RTS hybrid where one player controlled the monsters from a top-down view on the gamepad and the others played in first person on the main screen. Is that still in?

ivysaur12

Banned
So instead, you're saying that anything that's got the appearance of a mid-cycle current gen game is ugly. K.

And considering we essentially agreed on how it looked, why be so rudely defensive and just state where the misunderstanding was?

Because I don't really enjoy it when people put words into my mouth, or...

Perhaps it's time to take a deep breath and step away from the keyboard for a moment.

nintendo_take_break_final_break_lg.jpg

...people who try to exit and argument with the equivalent of "lol u mad"

Have you seen Condemned recently?

Yup, I just watched a few trailers. Compared to the target render? ZombiU easily wins. But I'm not talking about the target render. I'm talking about right now how it looks. Which is similar to Condemned.

Considering Ubi's other statements we now know why it looks the way it does. Its meant to be ported to IOS and other such devices. There is no effort to make it look any better than it does to simplify porting.

Sure. I'm going to bet that's it, especially considering this is a good developer and the game looks fun. Doesn't make it any less disappointing as the "big WiiU exclusive"

MYE

I see emotions are still running high :p

I thought it looked okay. Certainly looks unfinished but thats a given.
I'm more concerned about the quality of the game itself. Its Ubi after all

Terrell

Because I don't really enjoy it when people put words into my mouth, or...

...people who try to exit and argument with the equivalent of "lol u mad"

I was concerned that getting heated about the discussion could lead you to getting banned.

My concern is now revoked. Do as you see fit.

starmud

well, ign did say looked like a polished up wii game...

the previews have been pretty positive, interesting its a "reboot" of ubis first published game. twist you wouldn't expect.

ivysaur12

Banned
I was concerned that getting heated about the discussion could lead you to getting banned.

My concern is now revoked. Do as you see fit.

I don't know how I'm going to sleep tonight.

I see emotions are still running high :p

I thought it looked okay. Certainly looks unfinished but thats a given.
I'm more concerned about the quality of the game itself. Its Ubi after all

Of the WiiU titles that we saw today, it's definitely interesting. I'm sure that will play well. But the only actual WiiU specific games (that I could potentially be interested in) are P-100, Pikmin, ZombiU, and NSMBU, all are extremely underwhelming graphically (though I'm willing to give a slight pass to Pikmin just because it actually was a Wii game until very late in its development cycle). And I get that the last three are based on Wii tech. It's absolutely zero excuse for any of them.

zroid

Banned
...and NSMBU,... extremely underwhelming graphically

Come on, man, this game looks gorgeous. The backgrounds are wonderful, and while the foregrounds are stylistically similar to past NSMB games, the improvements in detail are immediately apparent.

It may not be at the level of Rayman Origins or Legends, but let's face it, what is?

Log4Girlz

Come on, man, this game looks gorgeous. The backgrounds are wonderful, and while the foregrounds are stylistically similar to past NSMB games, the improvements in detail are immediately apparent.

It may not be at the level of Rayman Origins or Legends, but let's face it, what is?

Considering how simple the original was, really, couldn't this have been done on Wii? I mean, say Retro was developing it. Apart from resolution...I'm gonna have to say yep, totally could have been done on Wii.

beril

... P-100, Pikmin, ZombiU, and NSMBU, all are extremely underwhelming graphically (though I'm willing to give a slight pass to Pikmin just because it actually was a Wii game until very late in its development cycle). And I get that the last three are based on Wii tech. It's absolutely zero excuse for any of them.

From the footage and the trailers I've seen this just isn't true; but somehow a lot of people don't seem to 'get' the artstyle. It might not be a game to convinve people that the hardware is massively superior to PS3 or 360, but comparing it to a Wii game is silly. It has really impressive geometry, a clean look with some nice lighting and awesome effects.

Erethian

Considering how simple the original was, really, couldn't this have been done on Wii? I mean, say Retro was developing it. Apart from resolution...I'm gonna have to say yep, totally could have been done on Wii.

The NSMB games could have been done on the N64 or SNES. If you were expecting Nintendo to really push HD visuals I have to wonder what Nintendo you've been following for the last decade.

There are only a handful of teams at Nintendo that are going to really push the system and show what it can do, and they're EAD Tokyo and the Zelda team. And Monolith if you count the Xenoblade team.

Thoraxes

Here's a screenshot I took from the first level. I'm playing Zoey. As you can see, none of the other dude's are what he linked to. It's not a final character from the game.

Not sure about your point. His pictures were both of two unfinished games.

Formless

Someone's posted some show floor footage of the game. Link

Models are kinda weak and there's some clipping when the zombies attack you, at least the hoodie wearing ones. But it looks a lot better than a Wii game, not sure where IGN is coming from.

I said it before and I'll say it again.

It would be a very good idea for Ubi to look at DayZ for some ideas regarding multiplayer.

A more polished DayZ could be money in the bank.

I was initially disappointed about the change from Killer Freaks, but if I understood correctly I like the idea of "dying" after only one bite.

Sounds so cool. I didn't expect a third party game to be my most anticipated title for Wii-U, and one of my favorites at this E3.

Ubisoft true winner of E3. Assasssin's Creed III is the first assassin's creed title I'm interested in. Watch Dogs looks amazing. Zombi U looks to be a good launch title. Rayman Legends speaks for itself.

zroid

Banned

I don't understand what you're getting at, exactly. Could the gameplay of a 2D platformer have been done on the Wii? ...uh... yes? Returning to my previous comment, Rayman Origins was also on the Wii, and it was a perfectly competent version of the game. It just didn't look nearly as pretty.

But the visuals of NSMBU are fantastic, in large part thanks to the HD resolution Wii U has afforded the game.

As for what justifies the move to Wii U (outside of the visuals), I think the Miiverse integration looks very interesting, and boost mode could be fun. Maybe. Anyway, sorry for derailing this thread.

L00P

Might grab the Wii U at launch if this game turns out to be really good. I'm liking what I've heard so far!

Log4Girlz

I don't understand what you're getting at, exactly. Could the gameplay of a 2D platformer have been done on the Wii? ...uh... yes? Returning to my previous comment, Rayman Origins was also on the Wii, and it was a perfectly competent version of the game. It just didn't look nearly as pretty.

But the visuals of NSMBU are fantastic, in large part thanks to the HD resolution Wii U has afforded the game.

Graphically. I'm talking graphically. Bgassassin had a dream of a 2d Mario game looking almost out of Pixar, which clearly would place it well above 1999 technology the Wii is based on. This 2d Mario game doesn't impress me.

With the new gametrailers video and the kotaku impressions, I am officially sold on this game.
EDIT: that footage actually made me scared of zombies again.

SteeloDMZ

Banned
Something that I'm liking about the ZombiU gameplay is that the zombies don't always appear when you put down the controller to manage inventory or do other things. If they popped every single time, it would kill the tension.

Graphically. I'm talking graphically. Bgassassin had a dream of a 2d Mario game looking almost out of Pixar, which clearly would place it well above 1999 technology the Wii is based on. This 2d Mario game doesn't impress me.

3D Mario. Today must be "My anger with Nintendo will cause me to take bg's posts out of context" day. :p

Does it run at 60fps? It looks really smooth in the videos, but I know they are capped. I'm fine with the way they run since the game is slow paced, but just getting some clarification.

SteeloDMZ

Banned
MERCY KILLER – When your character gets infected, your online friends are alerted of your death and can come and hunt down your zombified character to loot the gear in your BOB and put you out of your misery!

Badass. I think this game will turn out to be a cult hit, similar to Demon's Souls. It definitely seems like a very innovative game.

KU_

Really was impressed with the atmosphere of that video. Might compel me to purchase a Wii U sooner than later.

totowhoa

Banned
New videos:

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/e3-2012-zombiu/731416

I'm sold. Game looks great, and very atmospheric.

I noticed that you can level up your weapons after killing X amount of zombies.

Damn, I'm sold! That was some pretty solid horror, great atmosphere as well. I rolled my eyes at the game during the conference, but this game is looking like a must-buy for me. The rogue-like feature seems fantastic as well. Any clue if there are going to be boss fights in this game? Just wondering due to the Nintendo Direct zombie game clip. I'm sort of doubting it since a Ubisoft rep (speaking to Keighly, I believe) said that you can't "beat" the game (at least in the traditional sense... I'm sure they've got to work in some kind of major milestone sequences rather than just endless wandering, and it seems the game has at least some amount of linearity to it from the video).

Man, when Ubi first showed this, I my first thought was "Welp, here's the Red Steel for Wii U". This is looking phenomenal though, even if it won't be to everybody's taste.

Edit: I hope people don't ignore this thread like I had been all day. I really only entered because I'd been in pretty much every other E3 related thread! They really should explained this game a little more on stage, especially with a name like ZombiU.

Top Bottom