• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[N-Conf] ZombiU for WiiU

Thraktor

I was quite critical about this yesterday, but after hearing about the permadeath feature and seeing the gameplay video, it looks like it could be good. Memories of Red Steel still make me hesitant, though, and the name desperately needs to be changed.

antonz

I was quite critical about this yesterday, but after hearing about the permadeath feature and seeing the gameplay video, it looks like it could be good. Memories of Red Steel still make me hesitant, though, and the name desperately needs to be changed.

Name wont change because Ubisoft is doing this as a reboot of their original Zombi game

game is really growing on me, ubisoft coming through B^)

i feel like it should have a separate story line where you can continue and get check points

that being said, the perma dead is really interesting and switching to different people and locations is nice.

These positive impressions are getting me hyped. I hope we get to see other players' corpses through some online connectivity. My first thought was that it would just be the name of that particular survivor to let us know it was us not long ago.

Ithil

I am still staying sceptical, since this has had a lot of changes in development, and the last hyped launch title from Ubisoft did not turn out so good.

I'm sure Red Steel got some good previews at E3, in spite of the crap final product.

rpmurphy

The concept sounds neat, but at this point I'm skeptical of the level of depth in the gameplay or the amount of content. It has the potential to be one of the most worthwhile games to pick up at launch though.

Log4Girlz

From the IGN link:

"Graphically, Zombi U isn’t enormously impressive – this is early code, obviously, but it’s currently a far cry from the target-render concept imagery shown off in the debut trailer at Ubisoft’s conference yesterday (you can look at that above). In motion it's like a polished-up Wii game. If there's one thing that can change before release, though, it's this, so I'm not concerned about it at the moment. The underlying concepts and the usage of the touchscreen controller are both impressive enough to shine through regardless"

:/ Fun concept, let's see how polished up it gets before launch.

atbigelow

IGN preview sounded promising. Except that bit about it looking like a polished Wii game, which isn't even close to accurate.

Considerably more excited about this game.

ivysaur12

Banned
I am still staying sceptical, since this has had a lot of changes in development, and the last hyped launch title from Ubisoft did not turn out so good.

I'm sure Red Steel got some good previews at E3
, in spite of the crap final product.

I don't think it did.

IGN preview sounded promising. Except that bit about it looking like a polished Wii game, which isn't even close to accurate.

Considerably more excited about this game.

It does look pretty crappy, but the positive impressions are promising.

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
From the IGN link:

"Graphically, Zombi U isn’t enormously impressive – this is early code, obviously, but it’s currently a far cry from the target-render concept imagery shown off in the debut trailer at Ubisoft’s conference yesterday (you can look at that above). In motion it's like a polished-up Wii game. If there's one thing that can change before release, though, it's this, so I'm not concerned about it at the moment. The underlying concepts and the usage of the touchscreen controller are both impressive enough to shine through regardless"

Ouch that hurts

atbigelow

Yeah not saying it's a visual showstopper, but from the gameplay shown on GameTrailers, it is leagues ahead of a Wii game.

Ithil

From the IGN link:

It looks far beyond a Wii game

IdeaMan

My source is my ass!
You already played it?

no as explained elsewhere, i've heard hearsays about people working on it, and they had a lot of fun developing it, searching for good Wii U features implementations, so if only a portion of their brainstorming is experienced by us, players, then this game will be interesting.

And it seems i'm not wrong, after reading the first positive hands-on.

btw, you can add the "2 DRC support" and maybe the flash memory situation in the "i follow ideaman everywhere and bitch about him but... he was right" :p

Agentnibs

The game looks rough but I wouldn't say it looks like a wii game at all. The lighting looked fantastic and some of the areas and character models looked good (aside from the girls face...yikes) but they still have time to clean it up.

What I'm really loving about this game so far is that it sounds like an actual hardcore survivor horror game. Something we've definitely been lacking this generation. I have a feeling this will sell boatloads if it launches with WiiU.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
NWR impressions.

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/impressions/30534

ZombiU was unveiled yesterday with a very striking trailer, but one that showed no gameplay. Today, I got my hands on the game, and I left impressed. The game shows a lot of elements of survival horror, and makes great use of the extra screen on the Wii U GamePad.

I saw a lot of people making the comparison to Left 4 Dead, based on it being a first-person shooter set in a Zombie Apocalypse. This game is definitely not that. In fact, it’s a lot closer to a Resident Evil game, where even one zombie can be a huge problem if you aren’t prepared for it. It’s easy to run out of ammo if you aren’t careful, and there are some frightening moments when you get ambushed in close quarters.

The demo featured a mission where you had to retrieve antibiotics from an abandoned nursery. To do this, you had to infiltrate the building, where zombies lay behind many of the doors, and make your way to the antibiotics, get them, and then get out. You frequently have to take alternate paths due to obstacles, and there was a fair bit of crawling through vents.

The touch screen on the GamePad is used in several interesting ways. In addition to the standard map, it is also used to manage your inventory, and contains most of your HUD. The GamePad can also be used as a scanning device, in a similar manner to the one in Resident Evil: Revelations, to find hidden items in the environment. In this mode, you move the controller around in real space to look at different parts of your surroundings. There was also an instance in the demo where there was a touch screen mini-game to pick a lock.

ZombiU is a lot different from what I expected after seeing the trailer, and given how good it was I think that’s a good thing. You’re not running through this guns blazing, but carefully making it through tense situations. While we may have seen too many zombie games in recent years, I’m not sure I’ve played one quite as good as this.

Well, what do you know. I'm reading the Fact Sheet for the game in the press kit, and it says this:

MERCY KILLER – When your character gets infected, your online friends are alerted of your death and can come and hunt down your zombified character to loot the gear in your BOB and put you out of your misery!
I guess my earlier hopes were real after all!

Considering the Wii is an overclocked Gamecube, the game really looks unimpressive.

NPxiY.gif

ivysaur12

Banned

Being compared to a Wii game in its visuals, which was in reality an overclocked version of early 2000 tech isn't a good thing. No, go ahead though. Post another dumb reaction gif.

EDIT: I'm a huge Nintendo fan. I think that ZombiU sounds interesting. But the game is fucking ugly.

Being compared to a Wii game in its visuals, which was in reality an overclocked version of early 2000 tech isn't a good thing. No, go ahead though. Post another dumb reaction gif.

I cannot comprehend how anyone with even partial vision and a functioning frontal lobe could conclude that it resembles a Wii game.

rezuth

EDIT: I'm a huge Nintendo fan. I think that ZombiU sounds interesting. But the game is fucking ugly.

Woah there buddy, lets not go crazy. I could understand not being impressed by it but saying it is ugly...

ivysaur12

Banned
I cannot comprehend how anyone with even partial vision and a functioning frontal lobe could conclude that it resembles a Wii game.

Really, because I was going to say that anyone who thought this looked technically impressive for a system that's supposedly more powerful than the PS360 has an IQ of room temperature, but go ahead. You're right. It looks awesome. Just gotta tighten up the graphics on level 3!

Woah there buddy, lets not go crazy. I could understand not being impressed by it but saying it is ugly...

This is 2012. This is a system that is (supposedly) more powerful than the PS360. It's not okay for games to be looking like early level PS360 games. Entirely unacceptable and all-around lazy.

ivysaur12

Banned
They're currently tweaking the impressive in level 4.

Clever!

The target render shown perhaps...but they specifically mention the playable graphics.

Which is the problem. We shouldn't expect any launch games to look worse than the current PS360 games. The fact that the playable demo that was shown looked ugly (and had some stuff animation) is frustrating and problematic. But if you people think the game looks great, go ahead.

It seems to play well. And it's a while before the game actually releases. But at this point, it's ugly.

pakkit

Banned
This game sounds too ambitious to be relegated to a launch title. I hope they actually take a time to refine their core concepts and maybe clean up the graphical fidelity. On the other hand, Ubisoft.

SteeloDMZ

Banned
This game sounds too ambitious to be relegated to a launch title. I hope they actually take a time to refine their core concepts and maybe clean up the graphical fidelity. On the other hand, Ubisoft.

These are the dudes who made Beyond Good and Evil IIRC.

antonz

Its been in development since 2009 though the general enemies and such changed. Its getting better impressions than Red Steel did at least

Terrell

Really, because I was going to say that anyone who thought this looked technically impressive for a system that's supposedly more powerful than the PS360 has an IQ of room temperature, but go ahead. You're right. It looks awesome. Just gotta tighten up the graphics on level 3!

This is 2012. This is a system that is (supposedly) more powerful than the PS360. It's not okay for games to be looking like early level PS360 games. Entirely unacceptable and all-around lazy.

I think the point is you're going TOO FAR in the other direction. No one is saying it's a showcase of what WiiU can do graphically over the current gen. But it looks like an unpolished 360 title while still in an early stage after the switchover from Killer Freaks at least. But a Wii title? REALLY?

The fact that people are impressed by ZombiU isn't an indicator that people think that it surpasses PS360, it's an indicator of just how pathetic people thought the WiiU is from a hardware standpoint. Not hard to be "impressive" when people expected a pile of garbage.

ivysaur12

Banned
I think the point is you're going TOO FAR in the other direction. No one is saying it's a showcase of what WiiU can do graphically over the current gen. But it looks like an unpolished 360 title while still in an early stage after the switchover from Killer Freaks at least. But a Wii title? REALLY?

That is not what I said.

Which was in response to

IGN said:
In motion it's like a polished-up Wii game

You're right though. That's totally what I said.

Jezan

Ok, something I forgot to bitch about :p Dual analog :/

Can we play more, um...realistic(lol), like holding the remote as the gun, and if we need to check the inventory or scan zombies we bring out the pad, pleeease? ;_;

SoulUnison

Banned

It looks like a PS3/360 game to me, and don't first-gen games on new systems generally look like late-cycle games on the previous gen?
It's like you're just trying to pick a fight or something, the game looks pretty good, and they have time to polish it up before release.

Terrell

That is not what I said.

Which was in response to

You're right though. That's totally what I said.

What you said indicates you are agreeing with the statement instead of questioning it. The fact that you call it ugly multiple times afterward accentuates that.

Thraktor

Its been in development since 2009 though the general enemies and such changed. Its getting better impressions than Red Steel did at least

The question really is when did they switch from Killer Freaks to ZombiU, because for all intents and purposes they might as well be completely different games, and a lot of work would have to go into turning it into the latter.

ivysaur12

Banned
What you said indicates you are agreeing with the statement instead of questioning it. The fact that you call it ugly multiple times afterward accentuates that.

IGN compared to a Wii game when viewing it on the show floor. It looks ugly on the GameTrailers playthrough. The game is ugly and looks like an early PS360 game, like I said here:

This is 2012. This is a system that is (supposedly) more powerful than the PS360. It's not okay for games to be looking like early level PS360 games.

But if you say so, I totally said it looked like a Wii game!

antonz

The question really is when did they switch from Killer Freaks to ZombiU, because for all intents and purposes they might as well be completely different games, and a lot of work would have to go into turning it into the latter.

Thats true. It seems primarily its only Single Player thats changed as local multiplayer is identicla just zombies now instead of monsters. They changed Single Player from An Arcade score shooter. The Permadeath concept etc and survival aspect makes single player rather easy to develop. The big issue will be how much space do we get to survive in

Top Bottom