• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

neoGAF, a plea for help: please read

Status
Not open for further replies.
Donated $50 for ami's mom.

I've had family members on dialysis before succumbing to their illnesses (grandfather died to kidney failure and aunt died from cancer).

Stay strong and you and your family are totally in my prayers.

Az

I'm a bit confused on how reddit worked. I posted the link in the medical reddit, but I'm not sure how to get it rolling:

http://www.reddit.com/user/Amir0x/

Let me know how to get this rolling if possible

You might want to post it in the askreddit section as a question. It has over a million subscribers. Also you posted it as a link but should post it as text (with the backstory you wrote up here) and include the link

Amir0x

Banned
You might want to post it in the askreddit section as a question. It has over a million subscribers. Also you posted it as a link but should post it as text (with the backstory you wrote up here) and include the link

Ok, I've never posted on reddit before. Seemed like I could only choose to post a link, I didn't see where I can post text. I'll figure it out. Thanks for the suggestion re: askreddit

EDIT: JBAIRD donated to this. Wow. Thanks again everybody, that donation took me by surprise considering the history there... bigger man than me maybe heh

Edit 2:

Seems charity drives need to be posted on http://www.reddit.com/r/Assistance

legacyzero

Banned
Ok, I've never posted on reddit before. Seemed like I could only choose to post a link, I didn't see where I can post text. I'll figure it out. Thanks for the suggestion re: askreddit

EDIT: JBAIRD donated to this. Wow. Thanks again everybody, that donation took me by surprise considering the history there... bigger man than me maybe heh

Edit 2:

Seems charity drives need to be posted on http://www.reddit.com/r/Assistance
Bahaha! Best of luck Ami! (Still hate not seeing you as a mod...)

EDIT: "Noodle month. /Rapstah"

LMFAO dont forget to mix it up, Rapstah!

Jubern

Donated.
I'm a student though and couldn't give a lot, sorry about that.

I'm only a junior, but having lurked a few years before registering I have no qualms donating money to someone like Amirox, especially after that amazing goodwill move by EvilLore. I hope it will motivate other people.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I would love to donate but unfortunately much of my own money is going to help my mom who is fighting breast cancer right now. I offer my sincerest hopes and wished for her recovery and can understand completey with your situation. I hope all goes well and that both of you can stay strong through everything.

LiK

I would love to donate but unfortunately much of my own money is going to help my mom who is fighting breast cancer right now. I offer my sincerest hopes and wished for her recovery and can understand completey with your situation. I hope all goes well and that both of you can stay strong through everything.

damn man, sorry to hear. hope she beats it!

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Don't mean to be difficult, but is there a PayPal link anywhere? I have money in my PP account that I can splurge with - just not on my CC at the moment.

Good luck, OP!

TangMeng

Donated. Might be able to pitch in more next week if everything goes according to keikaku. JBaird should be unbanned for contributing to this.

Gaborn

Donated. Might be able to pitch in more next week if everything goes according to keikaku. JBaird should be unbanned for contributing to this.

Honestly, as much as what he did was ridiculous... I don't disagree with this.

Skel1ingt0n - Amir0x said they're setting up the paypal this weekend.

Zomba13

I've made a post about this on my website. It's small, gets barely any views but every little helps right? Also shared it to my friends so hopefully they help out too.

Here. If you want me to change anything just say.

Would it be against the TOS to "auction" something on here to go toward the cause?

For example, if I wanted to offer my Club Nintendo pin-set platinum reward from 2011 to a gaffer who agreed to donate a certain amount?

5890526219_3e6ecc8eaa.jpg

M-PG71C

I can't give much, but I did donate $10 and I'll donate again next week when I get paid. :)

I work as a RN, these are the kind of people I take care of everyday I go to work. All I see is the clinical end of it, and the need to treat the issues clinically. If money is going to be the damn barrier in the way of meeting intended results, then it needs to be knocked down. ;)

Amir0x

Banned
I've made a post about this on my website. It's small, gets barely any views but every little helps right? Also shared it to my friends so hopefully they help out too.

Here. If you want me to change anything just say.

Absolutely. The word is going to spread, slowly, and build into a crescendo. I'll have a drive push in the middle of May too (Donate $15 on May 15, iirc), so that should push it up. This is going so much faster than I thought it would too... I'm really just overjoyed. When I told my Dad this, a man who was always stoic and never cries burst into tears over the phone, and said "maybe at the end of this this I can give up some hours at work so I can be with your mother again. I never see her anymore, and this is like a dream..."

I hope to really express just what this means to us. My Dad is 54 years old and is working 16 hours, six days a week literally to try to cover medical expenses. He has decided to do this, even though this may be the last year or two my mom will be alive, just to try to make sure she has what she needs. You guys are possibly giving them time back together, a marriage that has lasted over 33 years, which is an award so invaluable it makes me cry.

After I ran out of my savings I felt so helpless, and you guys are making me feel like there is light at the end of the tunnel.

I hope your mom recovers from her fight, and you are always in my thoughts. There is never a time when you realize what is more important in this world than when family gets sick. So much respect man...

Absolutely. The word is going to spread, slowly, and build into a crescendo. I'll have a drive push in the middle of May too (Donate $15 on May 15, iirc), so that should push it up. This is going so much faster than I thought it would too... I'm really just overjoyed. When I told my Dad this, a man who was always stoic and never cries burst into tears over the phone, and said "maybe at the end of this this I can give up some hours at work so I can be with your mother again. I never see her anymore, and this is like a dream..."

I hope to really express just what this means to us. My Dad is 54 years old and is working 16 hours, six days a week literally to try to cover medical expenses. He has decided to do this, even though this may be the last year or two my mom will be alive, just to try to make sure she has what she needs. You guys are possibly giving them time back together, a marriage that has lasted over 33 years, which is an award so invaluable it makes me cry.

After I ran out of my savings I felt so helpless, and you guys are making me feel like there is light at the end of the tunnel.

Just got something in my eye, pay it no mind.

iammeiam

I'm in; my mom had a kidney transplant seven years ago, so anything dialysis-related is like my secret weakness.

It sounds like this is to get her on peritoneal dialysis (sugar water in the belly)? Back when my mom tried it, it took all night to run, but was still infinitely preferable to hemodialysis... Until she got an infection, missed out on a kidney, and had to go back to hemo.

I hope you can get your mom switched over; just... They're not kidding when they talk about the prevelance of infection, so be super cautious.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
My mom is terminally ill too and I want nothing more than for her to be comfortable and happy. I gave what I could right now, and I wish your family the best during this difficult time. I know exactly how it all feels.

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
Got paid today, gotta handle the bill situation tonight and then Ill give what I can. I wish your mom luck Ami.

GAF really can be awesome when it wants to.

noah111

Still Alive
This thread has quickly turned into a feel-good thread instead of a depressing one, glad to hear the donations are coming in hot. This is why GAF is awesome.

. When I told my Dad this, a man who was always stoic and never cries burst into tears over the phone, and said "maybe at the end of this this I can give up some hours at work so I can be with your mother again. I never see her anymore, and this is like a dream..."

Dude... You are turning me into a total bitch with that account with your dad man :\ It's wonderful that we can provide your family with this moment of respite at least. Man... The things we take for granted :\

LiK

DAMN!

soepje

And all this is just from creditcard gaf.. I´m from Europe, creditcards ain´t as common here. When the paypal comes i´ll donate, and for some reason i think a lot of other Euro´s will be doing the same..

Hope your mom and dad won´t have to worry about the financial side of it soon.

abrack08

Medical Bills are ridiculous... My GF had a horrible abdominal pain about a year ago and I took her to the ER cause I was worried. Took hours before they saw us, they immediately said "We think it's a kidney stone", did an MRI, said "yep, it's a kidney stone but you already passed it, bye!" and charged her $5000. They literally didn't do anything else.

Then a few months later I had a really sharp pain in my abdomen whenever I breathed in or turned, so I went, they did an X-Ray and EKG, this literally took 8 hours, told me "We don't know what the problem is, but it's not your heart or lungs so bye" and charged me a ton of money too. So stupid.

Will donate when I can, definitely can't now, I have $1.48 in my bank account.

I've donated, I can't say I know what you're going through because our medical system is so much different. It truly saddens me that Americans are expected to pay so much to receive the care they need.

I don't even know what to say.

Hoo-doo

Banned
I've donated, I can't say I know what you're going through because our medical system is so much different. It truly saddens me that Americans are expected to pay so much to receive the care they need.

I don't even know what to say.

Indeed. Money should be the very last thing on your mind when illness is involved.
Nothing should stand in the way of basic medical care. It's ridiculous.

But in any case, i'll try and pitch in once the paypal is available!

Amir0x

Banned
paypal said it's going to take 2-3 days to confirm her banking information, so I guess we have to wait for that to go through before we get that up for GiveForward. So bare with me EuropeGAF.

My mom is adoring the comments being left on the fundraiser website, by the way. You guys can't stop making her cry. The one comment about "do one thing for me... smile" made her bawl for like twelve minutes straight :p

Jintor

I can only spare $10 ami. Don't spend it all at once.

Best wishes and thoughts go out to your family and your mother.

By the way, your country's healthcare system blows.

Evilore's donation is ridiculously generous, and yet on top of that there is four times that amount in small donations. In a few hours, from one post on one site.

Fist bump, GAF.

Hoo-doo

Banned
well this is going swimmingly.

http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id=6754650n&tag=contentBody;storyMediaBox

watch this right now. thank me later.

I'm not really talking about end-of-life care here, I am talking about normal people like you and me who are struck by illness and end up paying off medical bills for the rest of their lives because the treatment has to be paid out of their own pockets.

But this is a discussion for another thread. Let's keep the donations rolling.

Elixtar

This is the first time I have literally cried at work. You monster.

Gadfly

While flying into a tree he exclaimed "Egad!"
from the donation web site:

Banned Gaffer gave $10.00
April 20th, 2012

Personally I hate you, and I think you are a monster dick drawing pos, however mothers are important and maybe one day she will teach you to be a better person. I hope she gets better, give her a kidney.

Amir0x

Banned
$5,264!

Now we have started the facebook drive and reddit drive, so the ball is really getting on the rolling now.

REDDIT: http://www.reddit.com/r/Assistance/comments/skaio/help_give_my_mom_some_peace_of_mind_out_of/ -- click it to spread it :D
WEBSITE NOD: Zomba13 was kind enough to post the article on his own personal website
FACEBOOK: Simply share the link --> www.giveforward.com/peaceofmindformom <-- with friends, or send friend request to Christopher Goldberg (I don't use facebook, but I'm using it for this occasion) and I'll send you an invite into our facebook group: PEACE OF MIND FOR MOM
neoGAF: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=471034
OFFLINE: Raised $300
PAYPAL: In process of 2-3 day bank account confirmation

This is a multi-pronged approach that is blowing away all expectations. You guys are astonishing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom