• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF, welcome to .webm - the FUTURE (of burning out your CPU)

DaBoss

So does anyone know how to make the Firefox add-on or the Greasemonkey script not cause WebMs that are smaller than the specified size to become larger? The Chrome one doesn't have that issue.

is it just me or do the last 4 pages crash the browser when using the chrome extension? x_x.

Anyways, I've ported Skyfireblaze's awesome WebM converter tool for Windows to work on OSX. The app comes with a simple drag-n-drop applet that converts any videos you drag into it to nice clean webm's ready to be posted on GAF. It also comes with a more advanced script that lets you customize start/end times as well as all of the other goodies offered by Skyfireblaze's original tool.

Instructions + Download link are on Github. I've only tested on OSX 10.9, so no guarantees it'll work on 10.8 or below.

I'm hoping to keep extending the advanced editor to include a GUI and automatic uploads to pomf.se for a more streamlined experience. I'll try to post some example videos soon. If you want to help, check out the github repo and fork it!

is it just me or do the last 4 pages crash the browser when using the chrome extension? x_x.

Anyways, I've ported Skyfireblaze's awesome WebM converter tool for Windows to work on OSX. The app comes with a simple drag-n-drop applet that converts any videos you drag into it to nice clean webm's ready to be posted on GAF. It also comes with a more advanced script that lets you customize start/end times as well as all of the other goodies offered by Skyfireblaze's original tool.

Instructions + Download link are on Github. I've only tested on OSX 10.9, so no guarantees it'll work on 10.8 or below.

I'm hoping to keep extending the advanced editor to include a GUI and automatic uploads to pomf.se for a more streamlined experience. I'll try to post some example videos soon. If you want to help, check out the github repo and fork it!

I would like to say thanks again for your awesome work to my script here, really nice work :) And I'm looking forward to what else you are doing with it from what you wrote! :D

Nanoman

Neo Member

It's happening here too. After some research it seems that Chrome has problems playing WebMs that are larger than ~8 mb, so this might be a bug with Chrome and not the extension.

Edit: that size might be random, because Chrome also seems to crash on other sizes. Also I'm also noticing some other bugs in this thread. Like the scrollbars not wokring.

berval

Yeah, it's crashing with the last couple of pages. Also, the hover to play isn't working. I have to click on them.

edit: Yup. The scroll bar doesn't work after it crashes.

explodet

It's happening here too. After some research it seems that Chrome has problems playing WebMs that are larger than ~8 mb, so this might be a bug with Chrome and not the extension.

Edit: that size might be random, because Chrome also seems to crash on other sizes. Also I'm also noticing some other bugs in this thread. Like the scrollbars not wokring.
I'm hearing reports all over the place of Chrome and certain webm's not liking each other after a recent update.

No crashes for me... On Firefox, using the grease monkey script on one PC, and the neogaf webm add-on in the other. Neither are causing issues.

Ecto311

This seems to be the one that's breaking the page for me.

Same here the link shits the bed then this site in a different tab is also shitting the bed

chrome bed that is

Also has it been covered on how we say this? Is it webm (web EM) or webm (web mmmmm) and has will smith from tested sided on the wrong way of saying it yet?

Qassim

Also has it been covered on how we say this? Is it webm (web EM) or webm (web mmmmm) and has will smith from tested sided on the wrong way of saying it yet?

I'd say "Web Em" just because of how it is officially styled with the m capitalised. WebM.

Qassim

Oh god... those 60fps of motion sickness... Time to find my ginger pills -_-

Yeah - I can see it being a bit too much to watch. It's odd though, if you're playing you end up focusing in the correct place naturally and you avoid any sort of motion sickness.

Sakujou

Banned
can someone post the exact same webm just with 30fps and 60fps?

or can someone link me to one of these?

it should be fixed as the first post or something because this is just the breaking new thing.

Vlodril

i started use firefox recently and although i have the add on installed i get video but no sound for some reason. it worked alright on chrome.

Any ideas?

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
The webms I can see in other threads play just fine. Are the ones breaking this page improperly encoded or something?

There was a recent version of FFMPEG that was causing crashes on any of my compiled videos, so i think yes its an issue with the encoding.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
I'll just cross post this. It seems that Blink/WebKit will die on some videos. For now I'm going to blacklist pomf.se from being embedded by default on YouTube Me Again, when I release the next version.

Opera (21) on the Mac was not affected until I updated today to version 22 (released a month ago), so it seems to be a recent Blink/WebKit issue.

I actually started getting tab crashes on Opera and Chrome (Windows) from videos on pomf.se.

KShLse7.png

Apparently the webm I posted was breaking the page. I remember nothing wrong with it when I posted and visited the thread a couple of times. Now let's hope the peeps that quoted me will notice and remove my links :p

Rootbeer

Banned
anyone having problems getting webm to embed in chrome? I'm using Chrome 39.x with the latest WebM for Neogaf extension 1.7. Oh, and I'm on mac.

The_dude!

Neo Member
hello fellow gaf members first post first webm :)

i decided to play F.E.A.R 2 on the pc after playing years ago the original and all the expansion packs.

playing on 780Gtx everything on max settings,game aged well,textures look very good,mostly clothes.

game has it's spooky moments

anyway hope this webm will post right..

60fps btw

http://a.pomf.se/hyrtiq.webm

funny,on chrome (38) i get a black screen even tough i installed the extension.

ok the black screen become the webm but i have to wait for each one to load by order and then it will play

not worth it,even on a 4GB windows seven with decent internet speed the chrome embedded method take a long time.

normal firefox for now,ok that's enough info.. ;)

Pokemaniac

I recently started having issues with the Firefox extension. It's started exhibiting odd behavior, like making the the scrolling in the tab not reset when navigating to another page. Can anyone help me with this?

Top Bottom