• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Dengeki PlayStation Interviews (Gravity Rush, Capcom, Granzella)

Patapwn

Why would anyone want gravity rush on vita? I love the vita but it would just be holding back potential guys

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
It's the reality of the market. Vita has no place in the current market, it only appeals to a niche of core gamers and Sony has acknowledged it long ago when COD and AC:Liberty failed to sell, at the end of 2012. They have tried to reinvent the system in different ways, first as the home for innovative and great indie titles, then they tried to place it as a PS4 companion hardware with the remote playing...now it's basically whatever they can still get with minimum costs working close with a few developers to keep their installed base alive.
Also in your list you don't mention that all the titles they made for Vita including Gravity Rush, Killzone Mercenary and Tearaway bombed.
Continuing making Vita titles in this environment is just a waste of resources and people have to accept it.
Gravity Rush will find a much better home on PS4 where it can hope to be recognized, sell well and become an other important Sony series.
On Vita it would be sent to die just to please what....100k potential customers?
Tearaway is the only game you mentioned that bombed(hard :( ), COD despite being shit sold really well, probably one of the best selling Vita games ever, AC also did really well, i don't know KZ:M but GR didn't bomb for sure, so stop putting random names to make Vita look bad when it's not at all.

I blame whoever thought of creating the Vita platform in the first place.

The PSP sold 80 millions and the 3ds is selling well enough, so why not? I blame those who decided to stop supporting it.
Honestly apart from Infamous, Gravity Rush, Tearaway and Locoroco and few others i'm not a fan of Sony first party titles so i'm totally ok with Sony not making games, but in that case Sony should compensate getting (western)third parties.
Despite the hate it gets Vita is really loved by its owners and developers(except the big western ones, but those didn't even try) so lots of games keep coming.

Vita is really strong, what other console despite the hate and the manufacturer decision to stop supporting it keeps running getting games and love by its owners? Now think if Sony really tried(at e3 for example).

Yasumi

Banned
So you think 10+ months from now, with over 25 million PS4s minimum, it'll still haven't formed yet?
Considering how little Japanese support there's been, and the fact that the only audience-relevant games out by then will be Akiba's Trip, PS4/PS3/Vita Shonen multiplats and Omega Quintet, there needs to be a lot more content before releasing larger budget niche stuff is sustainable.

Is LBP Hub still alive? I thought it got turned into LBP3 ?_?

Steven Isbell (LittleBigPlanet Community Manager):
LittleBigPlanet HUB and LittleBigPlanet 3 are two very different things.
For the time-being though, we’re really focusing all of our efforts in bringing LittleBigPlanet 3 to the PlayStation 4!

Tldr; Development of Hub was put on hold for LBP3.

Camjo-Z

Kazuma Kujou (Granzella)
- A new Disaster Report game is coming in Autumn. Also, two titles coming for PS Vita, and a brand new action adventure game for PS4

oh snap

I thought DR 4 getting cancelled spelled the end of the series, good to see that's not the case!

nampad

The post you quoted is talking about relevancy, so why are you moving the goalposts? :p

Goalposts?
For me relevant means being profitable. Seemingly, you guys have a different definition and I think GR2 won't be your definition of relevant on PS4 either.

So you think 10+ months from now, with over 25 million PS4s minimum, it'll still haven't formed yet?

So what do you think the game will sell or what could be seen as a success?

Nonsense.

While it's a nonsensical statement, there's also some truth to it.

LBP2 declined from LBP1 to begin with, and that was before the children-focused IP space exploded with Skylanders, Disney Infinity, Minecraft, and the slew of Lego games.

And even stuff like Disney Infinity, Skylanders, showed some decline, which, imo, highlights a potential weakness with children IP, in the sense that getting parents to buy 'sequels' for their kids is probably tough.

I'd say that developers of children-IP needs to figure out how to make evergreen releases. Maintaining the same sales performance at a sequel level seems hard.

kpaadet

Sony has dropped support for the Vita way too fast and Yoshida is to blame as the head of SCEWWS:

-Studio Liverpool: disbanded after releasing a Vita launch game.
-BigBig: disbanded after releasing a Vita launch game.
-Zipper: disbanded after releasing a Vita launch window game and several others in a short period before. One of their games got hit by PSN outage.
-Sony Bend: moved to PS4 after releasing the most successful Vita launch game instead of doing one more Uncharted or other cover based shooter for Vita right away with the tech they already have.
-Guerilla Games Cambridge: seemingly moved over to console development after releasing a graphically benchmark on handheld platforms instead of continuing with a new shooter using the tech.
-Nihilistic Studios: Yoshida gave them Resistance even though they were known to be subpar shovelware developers.
-Polyphony Digital: the Vita gets not even a token announcement for the biggest franchise Sony has. It would have sold systems on its promise alone and seemingly they never really intended bringing it over.
-Media Molecule: one of the best Vita exclusives gets an extended port on the PS4.

and now
-Team Gravity: sequel to Vita exclusive gets moved to PS4.

Yoshida never supported the Vita. The studios that released launch games could have had their next one on the horizon or released already but instead, the Vita even loses its exclusives. Other big Sony franchises get passed over to bad developers or not even announced.
That makes Yoshida an alright guy in my book. Games like Gravity Rush plays and looks better on console, so if GR comes to PS4 I might complete it this time.

So what do you think the game will sell or what could be seen as a success?

I'll be perfectly honest, I don't give a shit.

However, I've seen enough of Sony's treatment of Vita games in the past year to know that keeping it as a Vita game means nothing. Sony will give it minimal support, even if it's profitable, GD2 will be a niche game released for a niche platform. It'll just be an exclusive checklist in whatever calendar period Sony releases it, regardless of critical reception or whatnot.

If that's the fate of GD2 Vita, I'd rather see an ambitious undertaking of GD2 on the PS4, where Sony may actually give some amount of attention to it this time round.

It's the reality of the market. Vita has no place in the current market, it only appeals to a niche of core gamers and Sony has acknowledged it long ago when COD and AC:Liberty failed to sell, at the end of 2012. They have tried to reinvent the system in different ways, first as the home for innovative and great indie titles, then they tried to place it as a PS4 companion hardware with the remote playing...now it's basically whatever they can still get with minimum costs working close with a few developers to keep their installed base alive.
Also in your list you don't mention that all the titles they made for Vita including Gravity Rush, Killzone Mercenary and Tearaway bombed.
Continuing making Vita titles in this environment is just a waste of resources and people have to accept it.
Gravity Rush will find a much better home on PS4 where it can hope to be recognized, sell well and become an other important Sony series.
On Vita it would be sent to die just to please what....100k potential customers?
This guy gets it...

handhelds are biggest in Japan, and Japan is telling us they really only want one with the best games on it (3DS) and there is hardly any room for Vita. MH loss and lacking SE support killed Vita, now the only redemption is hopefully Nintendo doesn't do a handheld refresh for a while and its specs are comparable to Vita so porting is super easy.

As long as Vita isn't big in Japan, (it's decent atm) there's nor reason to make a bunch of exclusive titles for it. PSX was a great demonstration of what Vita owners should look forward to. It's a niche platform, but there's really unique titles coming to it, its basically a pocket Steamlite platform, take it for what it is.

Valkyria

Banned
Sony is not wasting their time with games that sell 100k worldwide. Lmao.

So they should stop developing GR2 full stop. I can wait for the game to release on PS4 and tank. The audience is not there and I doubt It will ever be for the type of game that is GR.

Gravidee

Quite the relief that GR2 isn't cancelled! I liked playing on the Vita but I think moving development to PS4 is the right decision. That way, it will look and hopefully play better as well as get the exposure it needs. Now, if they'd only show some footage soon...

Kazutoshi Sekiguchi (Koei)
- Toukiden will continue evolving in 2015 (*previous interview earlier this year pretty much stated it would also be coming to home consoles)
based Koei, I hope bamco localizes god eater 2 as well, all of the monster hunters!
Keiichi Toyama (SCEJ)
- It's been a long time since new information about the new Gravity Daze has surfaced, but people will understand immediately why when they see new footage

1080p Kat

So they should stop developing GR2 full stop. I can wait for the game to release on PS4 and tank. The audience is not there and I doubt It will ever be for the type of game that is GR.
The thing is that the PS4 is doing well, Sony has actual room to groom said audience and improve the console's library.

GR on the Vita on the other hand will just sell ok at best but it's not doing anything for it.

I'll be perfectly honest, I don't give a shit.

However, I've seen enough of Sony's treatment of Vita games in the past year to know that keeping it as a Vita game means nothing. Sony will give it minimal support, even if it's profitable, GD2 will be a niche game released for a niche platform. It'll just be an exclusive checklist in whatever calendar period Sony releases it, regardless of critical reception or whatnot.

If that's the fate of GD2 Vita, I'd rather see an ambitious undertaking of GD2 on the PS4, where Sony may actually give some amount of attention to it this time round.

What makes you think that they'll give some amount of attention if it's released on PS4? Because based on the latest Japanese games Sony made (Tokyo Jungle, Puppeteer, Demon's Souls etc), they didn't do anything.

joe2187

Banned

Toshimichi Mori (Arc System Works) - “2015 is going to be the year we really take off. I can’t say a whole lot right now, but there’s a lot I want to push forward in the coming year.”

Guilty Gear Xrd Sign Chrono Izuna Drop incoming

Hideki Kamiya (Platinum Games) - The Takarazuka opera should be hot in 2015.
Read more at

2f953_ORIG-shaq.gif

Flarin

If Sony were smart they'd include an upgraded version of the original Gravity Rush with all the DLC packed in with the sequel for PS4. Get the player base familiar with the world and character of Kat.

Yeah I hope they include the first game as well.

I really don;t see how people can be upset at GR2 being a PS4. It not only benefits the development team which can work with far fewer restrictions, but also means that GR is not destined to bomb on Vita and could become a long running franchise if successful.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
While I'd prefer Gravity Rush 2 to be on Vita, hot damn, a PS4 Gravity Rush would be amazing. Same art style, but at 60fps with crisp, smooth visuals? Drool. I'll gladly take a PS4 version of the first game, as well as a cross platform sequel. I just really love it on the Vita.

Yeah I hope they include the first game as well.

I really don;t see how people can be upset at GR2 being a PS4. It not only benefits the development team which can work with far fewer restrictions, but also means that GR is not destined to bomb on Vita and could become a long running franchise if successful.

Particularly I wanted to see this becoming a PS4/Vita series, not just PS4, and definitely not just Vita. Yeah the graphics wouldn't be the best thing out there, but they would be able to achieve much more gameplay-wise, and the PS4 would have no problem running the game in 1080@60 with some more graphical effects.

Particularly I wanted to see this becoming a PS4/Vita series, not just PS4, and definitely not just Vita. Yeah the graphics wouldn't be the best thing out there, but they would be able to achieve much more gameplay-wise, and the PS4 would have no problem running the game in 1080@60 with some more graphical effects.
I don't see how? What can the Vita do that the PS4 can't gameplay wise?

Percy

Banned
New Disaster Report is the big news here imo. I was sure that IP was dead in the water after the last game got shitcanned when it was all but completed because of the big Japanese earthquake.

Really hope they're remastering that canned game for PS4 release. It looked ace.

I don't see how? What can the Vita do that the PS4 can't gameplay wise?

Actually, that was in reference with the graphics not being the best. As in, if you have worst graphics you can use the console's power to do more dramatic stuff with the gameplay while keeping a steady performance.

Grewitch

New PlayStation Dengeki Interviews:

Horiyuki Kobayashi (Capcom)
- Several games will be both announced and released in 2015

I'm sorry, did I read that correctly that Dragon's Dogma 2 will be announced and released in 2015?

Because that's what I read, and I can read because I went to school.

Top Bottom