• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New details on The Evil Within from Game Informer

Neiteio

I'm chomping at the bit to explore that village in the dark and stormy night GIF.

That being said, October is going to be so overwhelming, between this, Smash 3DS and Bayonetta 1/2.

Lucent

Man. I'm gonna have to sit down and look through that information. I love all the info that comes from a game that you've been looking forward to for so long.

So it should run smoothly then? Good to hear. I think I'll go with the PC version and play through my TV. Cheaper than shelling out for a PS4 that doesn't have anything else I want at the moment.

I went with the PC version. Look for the thread where there is a GMG code. You can get the game for 45 dollars from there.

As a RE4 fanboy the talk of that village section and how early it is makes dick rock hard

Hahahaha. I'd agree that the boner rages from this impression. I have no interest in Destiny so this has been my most anticipated game for the last 4 months. Early impressions left me a bit deflated but it really seems like they've ironed out the issues.

Posting this now and will do in the OT if this turns out how I think it's going to. With this new information.... ummmmm...

i_told_you_so_stephen_colbert.gif

nullref

Even as more of a Mikami action fan than a horror fan, that all sounds pretty great.

How well do you guys anticipate the PC version will run?

I'll be playing it on a laptop with an i7 + 750m, so I really have my fingers crossed. A nice port means I'll approach the current-gen versions. A weak port means it'll be like I'm playing the last-gen versions. :(

Game Informer said:
The Evil Within marks Shinji Mikami’s return to classic survival horror, the genre he defined as creator of the PlayStation classic Resident Evil. His latest game, which is being developed by his Tango Gameworks studio, skillfully blends elements of survival horror and psychological thrills, which we saw in action during our hands-on time with the game’s first five chapters. While the overarching story remains a mystery, the game is filled with tension and is masterfully paced. If you’re a longtime devotee to Resident Evil, you’ll notice a few nods to that series as well.

I can't hold all this hype.

Davey Cakes

I'm tempted to go in blind with this game, buying it on Day 1 and just PLAYING IT. Can't remember the last time that's happened.

I could really use a good spiritual successor to RE4 right now.

Gbraga

I'll be there day one for Mikami, just not sure if I should get this on PC or PS4.

PS4 is safer because I don't have to hope for the port to be good, but it's 30fps at best. I ain't about that life.

-MD-

I'll be there day one for Mikami, just not sure if I should get this on PC or PS4.

PS4 is safer because I don't have to hope for the port to be good, but it's 30fps at best. I ain't about that life.

Can also get the PC version for 25% off right now.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Can also get the PC version for 25% off right now.

That and hopefully loading is better.

When does GMG distribute keys? I took a big risk here i never really preorder pc games especially when so little info is available about this version in particular.

I'm definitely gonna pick this one up, but I think I'll wait until the reviews come out since I'm unfamiliar with this guy's work. Good Christmas game maybe.

Gbraga

I'm definitely gonna pick this one up, but I think I'll wait until the reviews come out since I'm unfamiliar with this guy's work. Good Christmas game maybe.

Fair enough, but even if this game sucks, know that you should get familiar with this guy's work, he's fantastic :p

When does GMG distribute keys? I took a big risk here i never really preorder pc games especially when so little info is available about this version in particular.

Sometimes they distribute on the day of release sometimes they distribute when preloading starts and other times they send the wrong key because the publisher fucked up.

You usually have to take a chance since it's the publishers who wait till the last minute to send keys.

Not even RE?
Never played it, I wasn't really into horror games at all before. I've slowly awoken from the nightmare known as Spunkgargleweewee (thanks to Spec Ops: The Line initially) and have been branching out ever since. If RE4 is still on sale I'll pick it up tomorrow on XBL.

-MD-

GMG has always been good about getting keys to me early, I've always gotten them in time for early preloading when it's available.

Never played it, I wasn't really into horror games at all before. I've slowly awoken from the nightmare known as Spunkgargleweewee (thanks to Spec Ops: The Line initially) and have been branching out ever since. If RE4 is still on sale I'll pick it up tomorrow on XBL.

Make sure you pick this up when it releases early next year http://store.steampowered.com/app/304240/

Holy fuck at the chainsaw boss following you through the village and any house. I used to be skeptical of the game, and then I was pretty confident it was gonna be really good, but now I know it's gonna kick so much ass.

All this new info is making me less and less wary of this game. I'm really getting excited now, and I think I might pick this up day one. I hope it's good; it's looking pretty awesome

Serdley

-Mikami says to strike the right balance of challenging and fun, they replayed each section of the game over and over, for a horror game you can't determine this by numbers or equations, you have to judge the experience. They replayed each part the game so many times to make sure it was fun and challenging, Mikami doesn't even want to count.
This is why REmake and RE4 are so good. My hype level is through the roof.

I hope the comment about the pacing is no hyperbole. That is one of the things that make Resident Evil 4 my goat (Not that I'm comparing them, mind you)

I figured it would be good. Survival horror is just a bad genre when it comes to demoing most of the time, unless you are in a secluded place void of noise and distraction. Trade shows are awful for this sort of thing.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
God dang it, it's about a month away, I should go on a media blackout but gaaaah. Too excited, the wait will be hard. TGS stuff will be tempting.

-MD-

God dang it, it's about a month away, I should go on a media blackout but gaaaah. Too excited, the wait will be hard. TGS stuff will be tempting.

How about I go on media blackout and you spoon feed me bits of non-spoilery information.

KyleCross

While I definitely understand saying so, I'm a bit hesitant to call this a successor to RE4 largely cause of how different they seem to be as games. RE4 was a TPS action title with horror elements. It is fan-fucking-tastic, but it isn't really a horror game. The Evil Within on the other hand seems like it's going to be a full-on horror game and the scariest game Mikami ever made.

I'll probably be in the minority, but I would love if the progression of this game was horrifying in the beginning but then by end-game it has become more like RE4 in execution. For example compare how tense and horrifying the village scene in RE4 is to late game RE4 in the island. Of course it still had some scary shit as that was where you met the Regenerators. I felt that is what made RE4 so damn satisfying, the progession from horror to action didn't feel like the game changed but it felt like you, the player, progressed. You were no longer terrified, you were in control.

That is actually the biggest mystery for me in regards to this game. Has Mikami designed it straight all the way through as a horrifying survival horror game or will it open up with more action later in the game?

I guess we'll all find out in a month.

Mupod

Only read a few things, trying not to spoil too much. The game just keeps sounding better and better. The wait is getting brutal!

I only read a little and felt like it was too much. The inclusion of random elements is new to me though, and very interesting.

Anyways I don't put much stock in overly-positive previews but I was sold on this game long ago. Just fucking give it to me already.

Top Bottom