• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New details on The Evil Within from Game Informer

Bl@de

Game sounds amazing...PC version here I come! :)

I really hope they include some kind of AA and AF. Wolfenstein was terrible. Jaggies and Blurred Textures everywhere. Ach du lieber Gott :-(

But when I look back to Wolfenstein, Rage, .... I have no hope. At least the Games always ran with smooth 60fps

Lucent

I would love a self aware B movie horror game.

Yeah, and they could say something like "We should split up, because it's always a good idea!" and they give a thumbs up and wink.

But man I read through the impressions...and I think I'm gonna be in love with this game. It sounds like it'll be packed with all kinds of weird/messed up things to see and enemies to fight. And ways to fight them. The fact that they're praising the AI for both enemies and partner got me really excited, because that's usually something that can go bad and take you out of the game. I loved The Last of Us, but having Ellie and anybody else with you just running out in the open really made you feel like they were running by to slap you and say "this is a game. remember that". I know they didn't have much choice, and it was the best solution, but I always find horror games more tense when you're alone. And it makes it easier to be immersed since you don't have a partner constantly getting in the way.

October 14th can't come soon enough. Gonna play this exclusively at night and with the headphones on. And in the dark. Yes.

Huge smile on my face reading through this thread.

Same man. It FINALLY seems like the hype is spreading from just the usual suspects here on GAF too (you all know who you are).

I always knew this was gonna be good, but I wasn't expecting it to reach Resident Evil 4 levels of awesome, but I'm starting to now!

Same man. It FINALLY seems like the hype is spreading from just the usual suspects here on GAF too (you all know who you are).

I always knew this was gonna be good, but I wasn't expecting it to reach Resident Evil 4 levels of awesome...but in starting to now!

You mean surpass it. Remember, Mikami took the action approach because of the reception based on past GC titles. This is what Biohazard 4 should've been had they stuck with the survival horror theme.

Bl@de

Yeah, and they could say something like "We should split up, because it's always a good idea!" and they give a thumbs up and wink.

Juli Kidman: What? What is this?

Sebastian Castellanos: Blood... Juli, see if you can find any other clues. I'll be examining this. I hope this is not *Insert NPC name*' blood.

*Start of DLC*

... :p

Moipa

Neo Member
-There are invisible enemies that look human, but have the head of an Octopus. They're completely invisible, but you can use things like water ripples, footsteps, and the like to locate or evade them.

Hmm completely invisible enemies that look human.

You mean surpass it. Remember, Mikami took the action approach because of the reception based on past GC titles. This is what Biohazard 4 should've been had they stuck with the survival horror theme.

Surpass it? You can not surpass perfection. :p

Surpass it when it comes to horror? No doubt.

WITHE1982

My initial thought as well. I'm guessing they become visible once killed etc...

Pre-orderd this months ago and it looks like I may have made the right decision. This and the new Silent Hill may just begin the reinvention/rejuvenation/revival/reanimation/redemption (delete as appropriate) of the survival horror genre.

Feindflug

I really hope they include some kind of AA and AF. Wolfenstein was terrible. Jaggies and Blurred Textures everywhere. Ach du lieber Gott :-(

But when I look back to Wolfenstein, Rage, .... I have no hope. At least the Games always ran with smooth 60fps

To be honest I don't expect much graphics wise, it's a cross-gen Id tech 5 title so... :p

As you already said the main reason I'm going with the PC version is the 60fps.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Juli Kidman: What? What is this?

Sebastian Castellanos: Blood... Juli, see if you can find any other clues. I'll be examining this. I hope this is not *Insert NPC name*' blood.

*Start of DLC*

... :p
The opening dialogue exchange between the three characters as they drive to the asylum in a police car down a highway apparently goes like this:

Sebastian: (asks if they could possibly be racing towards a riot)
Connelly: "A call went out just before I picked you up, and said it was multiple homicides. A half dozen units are already on scenes. Maybe it's the ghost of that doctor who want schizo and chopped up all of those patients?"
Joseph: "That's not what happened. Some patients disappeared. Some kind of scandal?"
Connelly: "Still... Gives you the creeps, doesn't it?"
Sebastian: (turns around to Joseph in the backseat) "Any sort of connection?"

And then the police radio gives off a giant statx sound that surprises everyone in the car, they accidentally drive into on-going traffic, but evade. Scenes continues from there, but no manuscript given as they arrive at the crime scene.

Dusk Golem

As I've now read the article, they are enemies who look human but with Octopus heads. They move extremely fast, and can turn completely invisible, as in not even an effect of them being invisible or anything, and you have to judge here they are from the environment, like footstep sounds, ripples in a puddle or the rain, that sort of thing. Apparently they also can attack by coming at you very quickly.

Dusk Golem

Looks like predictions that the game may be 12-16 hours may be accurate, unless the later chapters are much longer. Not a bad deal at all, especially as it seems to do the whole, "lots of new scenarios", thing that Mikami games do.

Dusk Golem

I'd be happy with RE4 length but I'm not getting my hopes up.
My judgements on length is like this.

We have 16 chapters. They're not all the same length, they fluxiate.

The Game Informer dude said it took him 4-5 hours to best the first five chapters in the game.

There is an achievement in the game to beat it in under 5 hours. You can best almost every RE game in under two hours, and some games, like REmake, even gave you a reward for beating it in under two hours.

Time with these games vary greatly, if you explore, go straight along the path, go slowly to let the atmosphere get in or you're scared, if you're booking it. Difficulty playing on, get stuck on a puzzle or what to do as little hand holding, etc.

The demo area I played, which is only a part of chapter 9 and not the whole thing, took me about 30-40 minutes to get through the first time, but on a subsequent run I could do it in 10 minutes.

I always knew this was gonna be good, but I wasn't expecting it to reach Resident Evil 4 levels of awesome, but I'm starting to now!

I'm just very happy that it looks like we have a new A-tier Japanese studio that will keep putting out very special games. And it looks like Bethesda is doing good by them. The talent this studio possesses is perhaps only matched by Platinum Games currently.

Akzel

I just can't wait to play that game!
Since I'm easy to scare me and my friend will do a special Halloween evening while I play a lot of horror games. It's gonna be so awesome with that title.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

You can force MSAA and AF in Wolf14 using the console (I'm not sure about Rage as it's been a long time since I've played it). The only issue with the latter is that you need to bind the command to a key as the value resets every time the mega-textures are reinitialised.

As I've now read the article, they are enemies who look human but with Octopus heads. They move extremely fast, and can turn completely invisible, as in not even an effect of them being invisible or anything, and you have to judge here they are from the environment, like footstep sounds, ripples in a puddle or the rain, that sort of thing. Apparently they also can attack by coming at you very quickly.

Good, good... my Astro A40 headset that i bought for PS4, will start to pay off this October...

KooopaKid

Banned
What!? A village you say? Interest picked! I need to see more recent videos.
Could it be a last minute hype game ala Arkham Asylum?

Dusk Golem

What!? A village you say? Interest picked! I need to see more recent videos.
Could it be a last minute hype game ala Arkham Asylum?
Could be, likely a new trailer of this game being released at TGS finally (have had no completely new trailers since PAX East).

For locations, here's what I know of on the game so far (I'll spoiler tag locations not known from the preview or popular demo):
-Beacon Mental Hospital
-Deep Forest
-Lost Village
-Village Sanitarium
-Mansion
-Church
-Catacombs
-City in Ruin
-Subway System
-Fleshy & Bloody 'Organic' World

That's not all of the locations in the game, just what I know of.

Mupod

Hmm, where have I seen that before...

j9dXFhamhDmns.jpg

Dusk Golem

Hmm, where have I seen that before...

j9dXFhamhDmns.jpg
Oh my, S.T.A.L.K.E.R.~

However, this basically confirms a leak from 4Chan from two years ago. Back when The Evil Within was known as Project Zwei, somebody claimed they were working at Bethesda but recently has left, and talked about projects. On Zwei, said it used a RE4-style camera, was being designed to have more large and explorable levels, and they were working on a stage where you can drive an ambulance around different points.

However, they said some other things that seem like their likely true now, so spoiler marking it now. Warning, may contain legit spoilers.
He claimed the plot involved the main character being slowly infected with something, and later in the game would leave him and the player questioning his humanity as he seems less and less human as it goes on. They were designing a later game area, which he described as looking like a mixture of Gothic horror and steampunk, and they were working on a giant Lovecraftian-esque monster that resembled a giant monstrous octopus and could turn invisible and a mechanic that involved looking at it(?).

Seems it may have been true, due to a number of reasons.

Nemesis_

My judgements on length is like this.

We have 16 chapters. They're not all the same length, they fluxiate.

The Game Informer dude said it took him 4-5 hours to best the first five chapters in the game.

There is an achievement in the game to beat it in under 5 hours. You can best almost every RE game in under two hours, and some games, like REmake, even gave you a reward for beating it in under two hours.

Time with these games vary greatly, if you explore, go straight along the path, go slowly to let the atmosphere get in or you're scared, if you're booking it. Difficulty playing on, get stuck on a puzzle or what to do as little hand holding, etc.

The demo area I played, which is only a part of chapter 9 and not the whole thing, took me about 30-40 minutes to get through the first time, but on a subsequent run I could do it in 10 minutes.

Yeah, seems quite reasonable. What's the fastest Resident Evil 4 times? I remember attempting to rush these modes but the game was still quite long.

djshauny

Banned
I don't know if this has been posted elsewhere but if you live in the UK you can play this up to a month before release at a GAME lock-in:

http://www.theevilwithintour.co.uk

I'll be playing it tomorrow evening so I'll chip in with some impressions then. I haven't watched even a single gameplay video yet so I'm really intrigued as to how this going to play.

Yup. Ill be attending Friday. Cant tell you how excited i am :D

Dusk Golem

Yeah, seems quite reasonable. What's the fastest Resident Evil 4 times? I remember attempting to rush these modes but the game was still quite long.
Fastest RE4 times are faster than 2 hours, but use exploits. 2 and a half to three and a half are regular speed-run style length.

djshauny

Banned
But but but IGN said ...

Just ignore me, I just wanna make fun of IGN for saying that Evil Within fails survival horror based on their non-hands-on impression.

I never really listen to reviews lol. I make my own mind up, dont need someone else to do it for me :D

I don't know if this has been posted elsewhere but if you live in the UK you can play this up to a month before release at a GAME lock-in:

http://www.theevilwithintour.co.uk

I'll be playing it tomorrow evening so I'll chip in with some impressions then. I haven't watched even a single gameplay video yet so I'm really intrigued as to how this going to play.

Yup. Ill be attending Friday. Cant tell you how excited i am :D

Looking forward to some non-spoilery impressions!

So I have been out of the loop. Why is everyone so excited about this? Looks interesting for sure.

It's basically promising to be the Resident Evil 4 sequel that was never delivered by RE5 and RE6, with some even more terrifying survival horror elements a la Silent Hill, F.E.A.R., Eternal Darkness, etc.

Mupod

Oddly specific thing I'm hoping for: upgrading ammo capacity giving full ammo. I don't know why but I loved this in RE4/Dead Space. Trying to make it to the next merchant/bench with 2 rounds left in my big gun because if I can get there with 1 or 0 then I get a ton of free shots when I upgrade. But yeah, if that's in I'll be happy.

Xpliskin

I entered this highly spoiler risked thread.
oEZFfJ6.gif

Just wanted to say, because it's supposed to be a survival-horror game.

The less you know about it, the better the experience will be.

Just wait it out.

Dusk Golem

Oddly specific thing I'm hoping for: upgrading ammo capacity giving full ammo. I don't know why but I loved this in RE4/Dead Space. Trying to make it to the next merchant/bench with 2 rounds left in my big gun because if I can get there with 1 or 0 then I get a ton of free shots when I upgrade. But yeah, if that's in I'll be happy.
It may be in as I know it does this for health (you go to full health if you upgrade Health).

Surpass it? You can not surpass perfection. :p

Surpass it when it comes to horror? No doubt.

RE4 was not perfect. The third act was a significant drop in quality from the first two. That said, I would be shocked if it did surpass it... Though I really shouldn't be, as all Mikami's survival horror games have been incredible, with REmake and RE4 being in my top 20 games of all time.

LogicStep

It's basically promising to be the Resident Evil 4 sequel that was never delivered by RE5 and RE6, with some even more terrifying survival horror elements a la Silent Hill, F.E.A.R., Eternal Darkness, etc.

I never played RE4 but I know it's supposed to be amazing, and I enjoyed RE5. So I should keep my eye on this. Thanks.

I entered this highly spoiler risked thread.
oEZFfJ6.gif

Just wanted to say, because it's supposed to be a survival-horror game.

The less you know about it, the better the experience will be.

Just wait it out.

Well, this is true for all games imo, but ESPECIALLY survival horror. I've barely seen anything on the game and couldn't be more excited... Who knows if we'll ever get a Mikami horror game again, so I aint spoiling this one.

So I have been out of the loop. Why is everyone so excited about this? Looks interesting for sure.

1) It's really the first "AAA" horror game since the first Dead Space.
2) Shinji Mikami
3) Almost everything we've seen and heard about it indicates a very high quality horror game.

RE4 was not perfect. The third act was a significant drop in quality from the first two. That said, I would be shocked if it did surpass it... Though I really shouldn't be, as all Mikami's survival horror games have been incredible, with REmake and RE4 being in my top 20 games of all time.

Eh, for what it was it absolutely was perfect for me. Does it have a few really tiny insignificant problems? Sure, but videogames still don't get any better than it in my opinion.

Top Bottom