• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New details on The Evil Within from Game Informer

Cubed

I want to like this game... previews just haven't won me over.

I'm looking forward to spoiler-free impressions on here to sway me.

Squire

Banned

Previews haven't even been that positive though, so I wouldn't expect you to be sold based on those.

I mean, it sounds like even here, Reiner references the fact that up until now, the game hasn't looked too hot when demoed.

JoeFenix

I've said before but the fact that this game and Bayonetta 2 are coming out within weeks of each other is just too much for me to handle.

God damn this October is going to be incredible!

Evil Within is sounding absolutely amazing, this is really exciting!

Imma go out on a limb here and say joli is the bad guy, antagonist? Because she likes horror movies and wants to re create one.

For kicks and giggles: and Joli was behind... everything!

Airgetlam

Everything sounds really good on paper. I hope it's executed well. I was initially a little hesitant to get this game but the more I read about it, the more I'm leaning to buying it day one.

Can this man kill RE with this?

Given Resident Evil 6 has sold over 5 million copies while being criticized by many that seems highly doubtful. Perhaps it could "kill" Resident Evil in terms of some people's interest, but it's not going to come even close to that. Although it's certainly starting to sound and look much better than the initial previews suggested so I'm looking forward to it.

I have it pre-ordered on steam from the money I got money from selling price glitched AMD game codes, lol.

Cubed

What kind of game are you looking for?
One that looks pretty decent and runs well.

In reference to what the game is all about: I don't question whether I would enjoy it or not, I just haven't seen the game run that well or look that great, from animations to framerate to texture quality.

Majora

I don't know if this has been posted elsewhere but if you live in the UK you can play this up to a month before release at a GAME lock-in:

http://www.theevilwithintour.co.uk

I'll be playing it tomorrow evening so I'll chip in with some impressions then. I haven't watched even a single gameplay video yet so I'm really intrigued as to how this going to play.

Fady K

Most wanted game this year. Can't believe it, an actual survival horror game from Mikami and plenty of other great talents. PLEASE BE AWESOME <3

Korigama

While I definitely understand saying so, I'm a bit hesitant to call this a successor to RE4 largely cause of how different they seem to be as games. RE4 was a TPS action title with horror elements. It is fan-fucking-tastic, but it isn't really a horror game. The Evil Within on the other hand seems like it's going to be a full-on horror game and the scariest game Mikami ever made.

I'll probably be in the minority, but I would love if the progression of this game was horrifying in the beginning but then by end-game it has become more like RE4 in execution. For example compare how tense and horrifying the village scene in RE4 is to late game RE4 in the island. Of course it still had some scary shit as that was where you met the Regenerators. I felt that is what made RE4 so damn satisfying, the progession from horror to action didn't feel like the game changed but it felt like you, the player, progressed. You were no longer terrified, you were in control.

That is actually the biggest mystery for me in regards to this game. Has Mikami designed it straight all the way through as a horrifying survival horror game or will it open up with more action later in the game?

I guess we'll all find out in a month.
From a Mikami interview in the Japanese information booklet thread that Dusk Golem made last month.
A double post, but a new interview with Mikami that contains a few new details of the game just recently went live this morning:

http://mobile.pcauthority.com.au/Art...5&type=Feature

Keypoints:
-He wants to give gamers a tremendous rush and have moments of both being the hunted and be able to overcome challenges and destroy your enemies.

-Says he was very cautious not to make an action shooter. He thinks one important element is finding the right amount of difficulty. Too easy, and its not a survival-horror game he says.

-Mikami has apparently played Left 4 Dead and Silent Hill, and uses them as examples of a faster-paced game of the genre that feels more action and a slower-paced example of the genre that feels more Adventure. He seems to think survival-horror is in the middle of action and adventure, but a big thing with him is difficulty.

-Names the settings of Shutter Island and Inception to be inspirations for Evil Within.

-Says outside of the weapons we have seen so far, the pistol, crossbow, shotgun and a hatchet; there will also be torches, sniper rifles, and magnums, as well as environmental traps. Says that there will be bigger unlockable guns you can get from completing the game for New Game+.

-Crossbow weapon is special and has many types of ammunition and trap capabilities, such as ice, poison, explosive, fire, and more, and can find supplies to craft ammo with it.

-Says he thinks there are enough puzzles in Evil Within, but clarifies this is not a puzzle game and makes it sound like none of them are overly difficult. He says the puzzles are a bit grotesque though and hopes people look forward to them.

-Talks a bit more about Sebastian's back-story. "Our protagonist is an ordinary detective, no special powers. He has a dark past: he lost his family in an unfortunate accident. But he struggles to make his life right doing good as a detective, despite his drinking habit. With him are his two sidekicks, Joseph, a second generation Japanese detective, and a green female detective who just joined the force, Kidman."

-Talks that for horror he thinks it needs to be challenging and be like a seesaw of sweet and sour, that the player must experience both the highs and lows of success and geared towards and against him. He believes the deeper in you go, the more it should be geared against you, and says the game needs to contentiously throw new situations, monsters, and the like at the player as once things become familiar it's no longer scary. He says the later half of the game is a lot more challenging as he also wants to build and mix on previously introduced elements.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=866078

Bl@de

"An exceptionally polished and well thought-out horror experience. It seems like a game that's received heavy iteration in development to plot scares and to switch things up at the perfect times to make sure you're never too comfortable. It brought back a flood of memories from Resident Evil and Resident Evil 4, only with a heightened level of terror that warps reality and made to mess with your mind."

NUyttbn.gif

AriEX2

Really excited for this, but the more I read the more clear it becomes that comment by Pete Hines on the Gametrailers Bonus Round was a massive spoiler.

In it he quite casually stated
The Evil Within is set within the mind of a serial killer.

And statements like this one just support that further:

- [Mikami] Names the settings of Shutter Island and Inception to be inspirations for Evil Within.

Would've much rather played the game, without knowing beforehand the true nature of the game's world. Its quite clear this was intended to be a major plot reveal whilst playing of the game.

Nemesis_

Really excited for this, but the more I read the more clear it becomes that comment by Pete Hines on the Gametrailers Bonus Round was a massive spoiler.

Would've much rather played the game, without knowing beforehand the true nature of the game's world. Its quite clear this was intended to be a major plot reveal whilst playing of the game.

Totally agree.

Lernaean

Banned
Now i lnow everything i need to know to be hyped about the game.
Only thing i care about atm is that they fix the framerate on consoles and confirm it, so i can get the PS4 version to play on my big ass TV instead of the PC version.

TheStruggler

Report me for trolling ND/TLoU2 threads

i kind of agree from the videos i saw it looks very clunky and unfinished, looks real rough around the edges

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
i kind of agree from the videos i saw it looks very clunky and unfinished, looks real rough around the edges
There should be a new trailer coming from TGS. The last four months have been literally the team polishing the game, and it hasn't gone gold yet so they're still polishing.

-MD-

Are you guys mainly interested in this for the story? I'm mostly here for the gameplay, story is secondary for me.

sub_o

But but but IGN said ...

Just ignore me, I just wanna make fun of IGN for saying that Evil Within fails survival horror based on their non-hands-on impression.

Bl@de

Are you guys mainly interested in this for the story? I'm mostly here for the gameplay, story is secondary for me.

Well when I look at the Story of RE1 and RE4 and Mikamis other Games. ... I'm here for 2/3 gameplay and 1/3 story. The Story in his titles were always B-Movie storylines with cheesy dialogue - but at the same time very enjoyable. So I expect the same here.

Ok maybe a little better dialogue than this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vtTfptkUgj0

Tapejara

Totally agree.

Yeah, I'm kind of expecting this as well. I mean,
key art for the game is of a brain wrapped in barded wire, it starts off in a mental hospital and now they're telling us Sebastian has headaches? If this isn't some variation of "he was crazy all along/the real bad guy!" then I don't know what is.

Slasher suggested there may be more to it (both in this thread and the other), so I'm going to stay cautiously optimistic. Hopefully he's right and we're intentionally being thrown off.

Edit: Also, Joseph seems like an awesome character based on one of the earlier trailers. Hope if he sticks around for most of the game.

-MD-

RE is killing itself. The brand quality has already diminished. Only time would tell if their next reiteration would revitalize faith in the fans.

Aint that the truth, I went from being a massive RE fan to straight up not giving a fuck about the series shortly after RE5 came out and that was what, 5 years ago?

Well when I look at the Story of RE1 and RE4 and Mikamis other Games. ... I'm here for 2/3 gameplay and 1/3 story. The Story in his titles were always B-Movie storylines with cheesy dialogue - but at the same time very enjoyable. So I expect the same here.

Ok maybe a little better dialogue than this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vtTfptkUgj0

I would honestly pay good money for another game with dialogue that good.

I'm dead serious, that shit is untouchable. "Just.....take.........a........look.........at............this!"

Yet the Revelation 2 thread or any RE thread for that matter eclipses TEW threads sadly.

It's not fair to compare an unreleased title to an established franchise. TEW simply gaining confidence with recent previews but this is an entirely different subject together. But let's argue with your point: Do you think Revelation 2 can pick up where RE6 left off? Or do you think the next mainline RE sequel can retain their sales projection? Judging from their desperation of attempting to appeal to old school fan from recent developments (remastering), I believe they really have no clue where to take it and squeezing the last vestiges of the IP as much as possible.

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
So basically it's Resident Evil 4 on crack. I can get behind that, loved how RE4 was a mashup of hommage to horror and sci-fi movies.

gelf

I would honestly pay good money for another game with dialogue that good.

I'm dead serious, that shit is untouchable. "Just.....take.........a........look.........at............this!"

I would love a self aware B movie horror game.

fi1ip

All of this sounds good. Played the game at Gamescom and it was amazing. One of my most anticipated titles.

Top Bottom