• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New God of War art

BigEmil

Photorealism doesn't mean that a game has a lack of art direction:

This game is definitely grounded compared to the past games but no less visually striking. Like, literally the only other game with this aesthetic atm is Hellblade.
Yeah I see it more now and agree great post :)

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
i don't want to weird anybody out, but is it just me who really likes how kratos is protectively shielding his son during some encounters here? this is kratos

I think they're going for that kind of relationship a lot. At the end of the original E3 trailer Kratos actually starts reaching out to pat his son on the back but pulls back a second later as if he's confused of how to handle even a simple fatherly action like that. Personally that kind of stuff is what excites me for the game as it was a very subtle little thing and I hope the rest of the game follows suit as Kratos the reluctant father who is growing alongside his own son as a person.

Crayon

I dunno bout this game. I'm curious to see more. I thought the frustrating two games were good but not my thing. 3; I really didn't like what I played. Kinda wrote of God of war as not my thing.

This looks like it could be different tho. Open minded and want to see more.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I wonder how my mate will receive this game. He loves God of War but finds Uncharted 4 too "slow" to be enjoyable, which got me thinking as the E3 2016 demo indicates SSM has taken a page out of Naughty Dog's book of storytelling-driven game design. If the game is paced very differently to previous entries, he'll probably have mixed feelings.

Edit: Oh, not demo, gameplay trailer.

theWB27

I wonder how my mate will receive this game. He loves God of War but finds Uncharted 4 too "slow" to be enjoyable, which got me thinking as the E3 demo indicates SSM has taken a page out of Naughty Dog's book of storytelling-driven game design. If the game is paced very differently to previous entries, he'll probably have mixed feelings.

Edit: Oh, not demo, gameplay trailer.

I don't think kratos is looking at retirement. I think the biggest adjustment will be the fact there wont be any camera cuts.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I don't think kratos is looking at retirement. I think the biggest adjustment will be the fact there wont be any camera cuts.

Haha, sure, but I get the impression the exploration of a father/son relationship might result in more interstitial downtime than he'd like. I don't think he's invested enough in Kratos as a character to forgive the game leaning more towards telling a bittersweet story than the series' trademark brutal gameplay.

mortal

Gold Member
Awesome work.

I'm in love with the level of detail that Santa Monica Studios are putting into the environment, especially the snowscapes.

The collision and animation for the snow are such a small, yet an awesome detail that adds to the overall immersion and atmosphere. These areas have Kratos and the boy kicking up snow in a realistic manner and leaving a trail.
You can get a sense that they're truly at an elevated place, from the wind carrying the snow particles.

C2S9a7l.gif

People often forget how important animation and physics are when it comes to a game having amazing visuals. It's one thing for a game to look good in a screenshot, yet to have it not only moving before your eyes but also interacting with all the elements through gameplay makes it that much more enjoyable for me.

Some truly talented folks over at SSM.

Memento

I dont think they will change the boy's hair to blonde like the artwork. It was probably blond before and they changed it to the current one.

Also they already revealed the final box art and the boy has the red hair.

I do liked it too. But I think it makes him older and that is not something they are aiming, at least not for this game.

Sygma

i don't want to weird anybody out, but is it just me who really likes how kratos is protectively shielding his son during some encounters here? this is kratos

I wouldn't expect any less from him tbh, people claiming he's a piece of shit and whatnot don't understand despair and rage. He is one of the most real, authentic, unhindered piece of anger and focus in any video game ever. Looking so much forward for this. Hoping he is going to be able to make room for vulnerability which he showed in the first trailer

Every aspect of this game seems more thoughtful and considered than anything that came before in this series.

Gorgeous concept art. Really liking the boy's hair like that, surprisingly, I wish it had stayed that way in game.

PlayStation Germany just posted this and asked to solve the puzzle.

DIith_JXgAIp0zB.jpg:large

Just finished playing Hellblade not that long ago, and runes-runes-runes, must walk around the house, staring at all the angles to find runes! I don't know what to do with all these runes at once.

Awesome work.

I'm in love with the level of detail that Santa Monica Studios are putting into the environment, especially the snowscapes.

The collision and animation for the snow are such a small, yet an awesome detail that adds to the overall immersion and atmosphere. These areas have Kratos and the boy kicking up snow in a realistic manner and leaving a trail.
You can get a sense that they're truly at an elevated place, from the wind carrying the snow particles.

C2S9a7l.gif

People often forget how important animation and physics are when it comes to a game having amazing visuals. It's one thing for a game to look good in a screenshot, yet to have it not only moving before your eyes but also interacting with all the elements through gameplay makes it that much more enjoyable for me.

The visuals are incredible. But those snow physics aren't super convincing.

Koobion

Absolutely beautiful artwork. Cannot wait for this game! This is one of my favorite series.

Awesome work.

C2S9a7l.gif

I'm with you. Physics effects like this are incredible to me, and really get me excited. To have a world that feels alive, and being able to alter it with physics, adds SO much to a game imo.

Top Bottom