• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Infamous: Second Son gameplay footage +previews/screenshots

hmm, i still fail to see what's so special about this. game doesn't look amazing to my eyes, and combat looks last gen.

i think i'll keep waiting for another reason to get a current-gen console. Evolve looked pretty interesting and fresh.

slash3584

Really guys, can we stop with the Titanfall crap. But if you must, I can't think of a another console shooter that incorporates SP aspects into its MP, has AI interaction in the MP, has as much speed, platforming and verticality of Titanfall. I'm sure I could list some other things that make it unique or feel next-gen outside of its visual(which aren't very next gen) but I honestly don't know much about the game. If there are other console shooters that do this, they don't do all of it. Infamous honesty doesn't look like it's doing anything new, Killzone SF had more originality.

It's been a long time since I read anything about Titanfall so, what are these SP aspects on MP?

EL CUCO

ghoqzg.gif
qPMVLFC.jpg

VanWinkle

They need to show off the advantage of an open-world superhero game. We aren't getting any of that. It annoys me so much. They keep showing these small confined areas! Show us some exploration and quick traversal over long areas. Show us some spectacle instead of just fighting more DEA agents.

Argh. The're just making it hard to get hyped.

hmm, i still fail to see what's so special about this. game doesn't look amazing to my eyes, and combat looks last gen.

i think i'll keep waiting for another reason to get a current-gen console. Evolve looked pretty interesting and fresh.

LOL "combat looks last gen"? What on earth does that even mean!?

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Are we seriously going to talk about Titanfall in every PS4 game related thread.

Can't wait for the MLB Show embargo to drop tomorrow so we can discuss Titanfall AI mechanics vs. pitcher stances.

It's been a long time since I read anything about Titanfall so, what are these SP aspects on MP?

Something like in-game objective changes and mission modes that are given a cinematic/story aspect to it via 'comms from a named character in the Titanfall-verse.'

So instead of a pop-up of 'capture objective/flag', we'll have someone's face telling us to capture a flag/outpost/whatever because of a in-universe reason.

Are we seriously going to talk about Titanfall in every PS4 game related thread.

Can't wait for the MLB Show embargo to drop tomorrow so we can discuss Titanfall AI mechanics vs. pitcher stances.

I found it funny now this info dropped just a few hours before TitanFall
Classic marketing, of course it's probably a smart move

Loudninja

So what is next gen combo suppose to look like again?

This is the next battle in the war. Sad and annoying but not unexpected.

Teddified

Nah we'll just talk about how the batting and pitching are last gen.

Forsete

Looks wonderful. I ordered the CE for once.

When it is all you have.... :p

Now back to your comment about Drive Club fitting the bill as a next gen game, but Infamous: SS doesn't. What is DC doing that sets it apart from past driving games, aside from pretty graphics? Can you elaborate?

Promised social interaction alone separates it from any other racing game.

erawsd

I'll buy it because I enjoyed Infamous 2.

However, I can't say I'm anywhere near impressed or excited by what I've seen.

KalBalboa

Banned
I want to see some non-YouTube gameplay clips.

We're at the point where H264 compression in that player is really damaging to the textures and particles effects we could be wowed by. DriveClub is a great example of a game that used direct-feed clips (after those first few Facebook share videos) to show people just what was coming.

Other than this PS Nation clip, do we have anything new available?

bombshell

Pretty ironic username you got there.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
The neon power is the coolest shit. If I can play the game and use it as much as possible, I will. Purple is the color of choice for people with good taste in visual design.

This footage looks okay but have you guys seen the great exclusive lineup for the Xbox One, including Respawn's new IP, Titanfall? People are really excited for that game.

jett

D-Member
Eurogamer's preview is a bit sobering. I'll keep my expectations in check.

Yeah, it's inFamous alright. Good or bad. lol

As cool looking as the game is overall, they really nailed there what the combat has looked like to me in this game.

VanWinkle

I HATE this "doesn't feel next-gen" or "feels last gen" type of thing. THIS DOESN'T MEAN ANYTHING. For WELL over a decade, creative design decisions aren't dictated by a generation. Guess what? Any game that "feels next-gen" on PS4 and XB1 could be done on PS3 and 360. It's an infuriating and meaningless argument. Please stop saying it.

There were tons of social interaction mechanics on last gen games too.

Not to the extent of what Driveclub is aiming at, at least for racing games. I'm not saying a game has to reinvent the wheel but it should strive to somewhat advance what was being done last gen. Driveclub and Titanfall seem to be doing this, Infamous doesn't.

pr0cs

It looks really nice, I loved the the first two games so I suppose it's not surprising that what has been shown for SS is interesting to me.
Still not enough to make me jump to next-gen but certainly nice for those people who have been pining for another game to play on their new machine.

raven777

I have never played or even seen previous infamous games, but I am quite interested in this one.

But from all the media I have seen so far, I don't really see the open world being populated by ordinary people. I don't see people walking down streets, driving cars, doing normal things and living daily lives, like other sandbox games like GTA. I did see some civilians trying to escape from battle scenes, but that was about it. Does infamous have these kind of elements? or is it just fighting against those military troops the whole game?

Gameplay still looks bad IMO.

Spamming energy out of your hand is super unappealing. Hand to hand combat doesn´t have any flow and seems to ignore that games like Batman or SleepyDogs happened. I can´t see any cover mechanics. Don´t know if I would call it "last gen", but yeah it doesn´t seem to have evolved much.

Couldn't these types of criticisms be raised against any video game genre though?

I really don't get these comments. This is what an inFamous game is, if you don't like it, don't play it.

Edit: Also, since when has more complexity resulted in better gameplay?

They need to show off the advantage of an open-world superhero game. We aren't getting any of that. It annoys me so much. They keep showing these small confined areas! Show us some exploration and quick traversal over long areas. Show us some spectacle instead of just fighting more DEA agents.

LOL "combat looks last gen"? What on earth does that even mean!?

Agreed. Granted, there may not be too much more to the game then what they're showing, but this isn't a game like GTA where the mission structures are tight and choreographed to exemplify what's there. It's one where traversing the city and taking on multiple and sometimes large enemies with civilians running for cover are its strengths. The bigger and messier the better usually(minus framerate).

At least we now know the game can handle more than two civilians on screen now!

Console wars, man. I hate it too. Killzone: Shadow Fall gifs were in every Ryse thread leading up to launch, so at least no Titanfall gifs have shown up in here yet.

Zen

Banned

This is very good point. They need to show something inspiring. Even for all the controversy that the first Cole design had, that opening reveal, from a gameplay and experience perspective, highlighted a clear evolution over Infamous 1.

To say it another way, it was fucking awesome.

http://youtu.be/6Ttv7JQGHeI
http://youtu.be/mV2of4eEzCw
http://youtu.be/BX4tRgKFdbw

What ways would I liked to have seen them grab our attention with Second Son's smoke ability?

Why not attempt something like this in gameplay form? a Signicantly improved and more complex combat system would have been nice to see. Also mechanics based around voluntarily becoming insubstantial at will to mix with traversal through complex interiors.
http://youtu.be/yGztjzEuysM

It feels like the smoke idea should have had some new core gameplay mechanics added for it, but it kind of comes across like an additional power designed for any old Infamous game, not the core ability for a new character.

Top Bottom