• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New previews for Dark Souls II

Garcia

The fanbase for this game is toxic. It seems to essentially boil down to go play another game you filthy casual.

Yeah, I knew I had to keep myself away from the Dark Souls' fanbase even before I had actually played the game. Once I completed it, it was a certainty I had done the right thing. Same thing goes for TLoU's fanbase, I avoid it like the plague.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
Too much argument that really just stems from people impatient to play the game IMO. We won't really know the full extent of any of the systems until the game is actually released, so anyone arguing about experiences being ruined is doing so without all the facts.

I don't blame most of you for getting heated though, it's tough to be patient while we're in the final stretch before the game is released.

And after all:

It is only human to commit a sin…

Heh heh heh heh…

Zukuu

Banned
Here's a 43 min video of a guy talking about the mechanics and the lore in second half: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fbl-DC9LMno

He explains more in depth how the easier co-op and voice chat ring work, how invading priorities work and sin levels. There's some pretty cool information.

Guess you could just avoid the second part if you want to avoid spoilers.
Thanks!

You should check this channel.VaatiVidya
I already watched everything relating to DS II infos from it.^^

The fanbase for this game is toxic. It seems to essentially boil down to go play another game you filthy casual.

If someone wants to co-op with a friend it's how they obviously find the game fun. I've never found playing the souls series by myself all that interesting. But with friends it's provided some of the best laughs ever.

Well every fanbase has their assholes, but a majority of it stems from questions such as "why is there no pause button", "why is there no easy-mode" etc. when the fans understand the developers intent with the game; it's MEANT to be hard/challenging/rewarding. If it isn't your cup of tea then fine, but a lot of tarts use this avenue to be condescending/dickish hence "filthy casual".

I'm a hardcore fan and I totally agree with you on the co-op. I would have a blast if I could play with my bro/friends and I can see it being implemented in a way that doesn't ruin the core essence of the game.

Kagutaba

Yeah, I knew I had to keep myself away from the Dark Souls' fanbase even before I had actually played the game. Once I completed it, it was a certainty I had done the right thing. Same thing goes for TLoU's fanbase, I avoid it like the plague.

But we are nice and helpful, and like jolly cooperation. :(

dreamfall

I played nearly two complete playthroughs of Dark Souls last year (thank God for Durante!), and they left me feeling like it was the game of forever. But I'd be remiss in saying that I really needed to enter a mental space where bloody persistence and the motivation to keep trying were paramount to seeing it through.

I'm hyped as hell for Dark Souls 2, but I'm not sure if I'm ready for that struggle! Maybe I need to warm up with Demon's. It's going to be brutally wonderful.

It can get that way, yes. As a member of the fanbase I prefer not to generalize too much, but discussions about this game are more prone to derailment than most. Let's not pretend that elitist fans are the sole source of that, however. The OT is great but once you get the larger gaming community discussing the game shit can get stupid real quick.

Best stock up on the Blooming Purple Moss' then.

This talk reminds me of people that gets pissed at you because you dont salute them and do the cordial stuff they dictate when they are invadng you.

Yeah, basically. It's funny when the "invasions are part of the game deal with it babbies" people get rolled on because you don't adhere to their strict "PvP code" and then get angry.

The game is what it is. You are the one who is complaining, wanting it to be something else. Just making sure you understand that.

And if you don't like getting ganked, then too damn bad. Get better at the game or don't invade. If you want to invade you're supposed to have balls of steel, not whine that the game isn't facilitating your every desire.

These damn kids. I swear.

Ganking won't even be as viable anymore now than summon time limits have been instituted.

Here's a 43 min video of a guy talking about the mechanics and the lore in second half: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fbl-DC9LMno

He explains more in depth how the easier co-op and voice chat ring work, how invading priorities work and sin levels. There's some pretty cool information.

Guess you could just avoid the second part if you want to avoid spoilers.

That video got me a bit worried. He seems to like Dark Souls for the same reason I do, i.e. it doesn't ever feel like a video game. But he's saying DS2 feels more overtly "gamey". And now there are apparently cutscenes in the beginning of the game, WTF.

That video got me a bit worried. He seems to like Dark Souls for the same reason I do, i.e. it doesn't ever feel like a video game. But he's saying DS2 feels more overtly "gamey". And now there are apparently cutscenes in the beginning of the game, WTF.

Like the excellent cutscene at the beginning of the first Dark Souls?

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
Ganking won't even be as viable anymore now than summon time limits have been instituted.
The time limit is based on how many enemies white phantoms kill, so that really won't affect ganking.

But it does affect co-op. I think what a lot of people are missing is that because of this limit, going through the whole game with someone you know in tow is going to be even harder, regardless of the 10 God or whatever ring, which also breaks after a handful of uses anyway.

RK9039

Dark Souls 2 > Dark Souls, confirmed.

I heard weapons and armour sets have steeper stat requirements than before, so low-level ganking might not be an issue anymore.

Sanctuary

Dark Souls 2 > Dark Souls, confirmed.

I heard weapons and armour sets have steeper stat requirements than before, so low-level ganking might not be an issue anymore.

Armor just requires what used to be known as
Resistance (which was combined with Agility and renamed to something else).
It's a pretty safe assumption that almost everyone is going to be raising that stat to whatever is considered the "soft cap" for the
Agility portion since it's supposed to affect run speed, attack (cast too?) speed and apparently the i-frames in your dodge.

But as far as low level ganking, you might be right.

RK9039

Armor just requires what used to be known as Resistance
(which was combined with Agility and renamed to something else).
It's a pretty safe assumption that almost everyone is going to be raising that stat to whatever is considered the "soft cap" for the
Agility portion since it's supposed to affect run speed, attack (cast too?) speed and apparently the i-frames in your dodge.

Ah, that explains it. They changed the name of that stat? interesting, might be a good idea to merge those two together.

I think cast speed is on attunement? unless they've changed that as well.

Zukuu

Banned
Armor just requires what used to be known as
Resistance (which was combined with Agility and renamed to something else).

But as far as low level ganking, you might be right.

Cast speed is affected by attunement now.
Agility raises the drink speed of the estus flask, the speed of your your block (shield raise). I read the same about the i-frames of the dodge and/or the recovery, but I'm not sure.
It's unknown if it increases run speed. I don't think so personally.

from the early september beta:
darksouls2stats.jpg

Cast speed is affected by attunement now.
Agility raises the drink speed of the estus flask, the speed of your your block (shield raise). I read the same about the i-frames of the dodge and/or the recovery, but I'm not sure.
It's unknown if it increases run speed. I don't think so personally.

from the early september beta:
darksouls2stats.jpg

That's a lot of stats. I'm hoping that HELP button at the bottom will allow you to highlight and reveal explanations for each stat.

I don't think Demon's or Dark Souls did that IIRC.

Soriku

What does this mean?

Sanctuary

That's a lot of stats. I'm hoping that HELP button at the bottom will allow you to highlight and reveal explanations for each stat.

I don't think Demon's or Dark Souls did that IIRC.

Hitting select/back when choosing a stat does in the previous games.

What does this mean?

Probably means it feels unlike pretty much any other video game. With a series so unique, it's kind of hard to compare it to other games. If you can't really compare it to other game experiences, it might just not feel "gamey".

Hitting select/back when choosing a stat does in the previous games.

Probably means it feels unlike pretty much any other videogame. With a series so unique, it's kind of hard to compare it to other games. If you can't really compare it to other game experiences, it might just not feel "gamey".

Really?

I always had to look them up online when I played the previous games.

That's good to know for DS2 then.

Sanctuary

Didn't see this posted yet. Sorry if it was and I missed it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Io7xa6vCV_w

Why are they letting such terrible people play the game to show off how "difficult" it is. This area honestly looked easy. Especially with the mage. But he tries to cast a spell in melee range twice!

Because I guess they wanted an "average" gamer playing? These are the kind of gamers that the ultra hand-holding, press X to win games were made for. You know, the games that were the majority of last gen, and probably will be this gen too?

Btw, that dirt texture looks fucking horrible. Kind of like whoever is playing. I wasn't going to watch, but fortunately it doesn't really spoil anything.

Sanctuary

No, not the opening CG. Apparently there are cutscenes with people telling you shit about the story.

So? Now that they had a bigger budget, maybe they wanted to splurge in areas that they couldn't before. The money that's not being used for textures had to go somewhere. ;)
Also, maybe now people will actually be able to understand what the hell is going on without having to look it up on a wiki, or watch ENB and then later claim that they found out all of the info on their own.

soontroll

Banned
No, not the opening CG. Apparently there are cutscenes with people telling you shit about the story.

Ok that's a little different but I guess it's just like the bit at the start of DS1 where they show you in the prison and Oscar throwing down the body, except this time people are talking?

Regardless, I don't see how that's a bad thing. You still talk to people outside of this cutscene.

soontroll

Banned
So? Now that they had a bigger budget, maybe they wanted to splurge in areas that they couldn't before. The money that's not being used for textures had to go somewhere. ;)
Also, maybe now people will actually be able to understand what the hell is going on without having to look it up on a wiki, or watch ENB and then later claim that they found out all of the info on their own.

I hope the PC version is good enough that we at least get decent textures.

Orayn

I'm LTTP on everything being ruined. Time to cancel all our preorders, scream at the heavens, and break out the sackcloth and ashes.

RIP Souls Series 2009-2014

RIP From Software 1986-2014

I'm not really perturbed by the supposed cutscene, it's exactly the same as there being narration during the short cutscene at the end of the tutorial in the first game.

Sanctuary

I hope the PC version is good enough that we at least get decent textures.

I've already mentioned it in this thread, but the recent Edge interview with From stating that fixing low res textures weren't a priority unless it negatively affected gameplay doesn't fill me with any confidence. That's also why I said I fully expect the PC version to simply be a "standard" port (Dark wasn't even at that level) with a proper internal renderer (aka DSfix) and possibly AA/AF options.

*This isn't me being Chicken Little and screaming that the game is going to suck or anything either.*

gaugebozo

Probably means it feels unlike pretty much any other video game. With a series so unique, it's kind of hard to compare it to other games. If you can't really compare it to other game experiences, it might just not feel "gamey".

Can't speak for the person you're replying to, but for me, not feeling like playing a game means it's so engrossing that you don't even notice the artificial environment you're in. You feel like, "These ruins are spooky!" and not, "They probably put that wall there to hide a limited draw distance," or some such thing.

I'm LTTP on everything being ruined. Time to cancel all our preorders, scream at the heavens, and break out the sackcloth and ashes.

RIP Souls Series 2009-2014

RIP From Software 1986-2014

I'm not really perturbed by the supposed cutscene, it's exactly the same as there being narration during the short cutscene at the end of the tutorial in the first game.

It seems that when things reach a certain point of popularity, any information revealed about the thing in question will have people running with it in both directions.

In other words, I wouldn't pay attention to the hyperbolic negativity. Cooler and reasonable heads should prevail in the end.

Soriku

Yeah at the beginning. There was one standard cutscene after the opening CG in Dark Souls too, one at the end of the Undead Asylum, and a few other cutscenes scattered throughout the game (with at least two voiced). It's already been said that they're not changing the story structure.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
People should calm their tits and wait for the game to come out and play themselves.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Is it even necessary to kill that big guy? He seems to be just sitting there minding his own business and not being hostile.

No idea, but it looks like he's the sort of guy who'd
freak out if you looted the corpse next to him. Doesn't seem to be an NPC since he's not attacking after respawn. Probably just waiting for the trap to be triggered.
(not real spoilers, just guessing based on the video but not everybody will watch it)

People love the way it looks because there is an incredible amount of artistry in everything. The armour and weapons are gorgeous. The architecture is inspiring or ominous in turns. The monsters are excellent and the bosses. Oh the bosses.

There is a big difference between rendering horsepower and beautiful design. Souls games are decent with the former and brilliant with the later. That's why people say they love the way it looks.

Bravo!

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
I'm in Canada, preordered Dark Souls 2 this week. My receipt says Dark Souls 2"Day One" edition. What is that?

Top Bottom