• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New previews for Dark Souls II

Mupod

Complex how?
It considers gameplay time, your number of souls, etc. There are more parameters now in the progress.

This one's especially interesting. I knew that the sin buildup would eventually cause the heavy PVPers to prioritize one another, but I wasn't aware of additional factors involved.

Hopefully this doesn't get really skewed if I kick some level 999 hacker down a hole and get a million souls.

Shinjica

But FROM has time and again proven that they're not "the industry". From creating a worthy sequel to releasing amazing DLC and yet here we are, acting like they've been actually bought out by EA, lol.

And again, it's like people only focus on the bad things, when there's actually something in-game that affects those things in a positive way.

Oh come on, FROM is not "the industry" but Namco Bandai is. You can get weapon and shield in advance if you pre-order the game and I bet was not FROM decision to incluse this.

I have some concerns too, but after overwhelmingly positive feedback from hardcore fans who have played the game, I'm willing to be optimistic.

You are speaking of people who play the game 1 month before other. I'll ask one thing, are you heard some bad thing about the game from this people?

And again, it's like people only focus on the bad things, when there's actually something in-game that affects those things in a positive way

Not true, for me at least. I like the statistics and invasion change. They are a great step forward for Souls series but we're here to speak about all the thing we see.

Skab

That's a normal body structure, the one in the Famitsu screens is not, it simply doesn't fit with the austere atmosphere.
But that's fine, to be honest right now I'm not expecting anything from those charlatans who are directing DaS2.

I'm still sitting here trying to figure out how the Famitsu one is any different than what we have in Dark Souls currently.

Steez

Oh come on, FROM is not "the industry" but Namco Bandai is. You can get weapon and shield in advance if you pre-order the game and I bet was not FROM decision to incluse this.

And either Bamco is smart enough or FROM has enough leverage to not make those items exclusive. It's just early access to already existing weapons. I agree that any form of day 1 DLC is bad, but at least this one won't have any impact on your experience, if you choose to disregard it.

You are speaking of people who play the game 1 month before other. I'll ask one thing, are you heard some bad thing about the game from this people?

Of course, but the positives outweigh the negatives. Every Souls game had some bad stuff, but it didn't have a huge negative impact in the grand scheme of things.

Not true, for me at least. I like the statistics and invasion change. They are a great step forward for Souls series but we're here to speak about all the thing we see.

And I'm not saying that's the case with you.

I was specifically singling out the comment about making the game easier, when there are multiple in-game options to turn the difficulty up, which seems to be already relatively high.

Randam

And either Bamco is smart enough or FROM has enough leverage to not make those items exclusive. It's just early access to already existing weapons.

jip:
BfpuOl7IQAA1P7B.jpg

and man, those are ugly..

Mutombo

I'm sorry, but if you're going to complain about a developer/publisher doing something extra for fans (because honestly - these pre order bonuses are not going to sway any newcomers) than I don't think you're complaining but simply whining. The difference being that a complaint can be either 'proven' invalid or be a valid thing. But this feels more like a four year old toddler crying that they don't like the look of the teddybear they've just been given.

Seriously guys - complaining about the developers doing something extra for fans? While not even knowing anything about how the weapons are balanced or how they fit into the lore of the game? It feels like an episode of Southpark.

Edit: OKay I see that it's early acces to in game weapons. Are you guys seriously whining about this? Either don't play or be happy that newcomers to the series stand a better chance and won't be put off by the difficulty.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member

All that marketing and day one sales stuff aside, BN is not the enemy here. Did you read the impressions/interview on the previous page? Creamium did a great job, and as a producer (not a PR/hype rep or anything) Miyazoe gave some good, straight-forward answers.

BN knows what From does well, and they know what pleases fans. There may have been some raised eyebrows along the way, but I think it's safe to assume that DS2 has turned out more or less what we're hoping for. The only way we'll know for sure is after spending some quality time with the game come March, but for now can we just let all this DLC/pre-order stuff rest?

Feindflug

Walking and running animations definitely look better which is nice.

But I made a lot of +14 weapons on DkS1 to test them. It would be really terrible if I couldn't make a lot of upgrades, especially on my first playthrough, as I'll want to test weapons to see which ones are good.

Yeah this will be a big problem if the enemies don't respawn. To be honest this design decision sounds really weird because on one hand you don't have to fight enemies after some time which will make the game easier and on the other hand you can't farm souls which is something that can potentially make the game harder...I wish we had more details on how all this exactly works.

Now that I think about it maybe this design decision made it into the game because now you can be invaded at all times to keep things more balanced? I dunno guys, I guess we'll have to wait and see. :/

Randam

Walking and running animations definitely look better which is nice.

Yeah this will be a big problem if the enemies don't respawn. To be honest this design decision sounds really weird because on one hand you don't have to fight enemies after some time which will make the game easier and on the other hand you can't farm souls which is something that can potentially make the game harder...I wish we had more details on how all this exactly works.

Now that I think about it maybe this design decision made it into the game because now you can be invaded at all times to keep things more balanced? I dunno guys, I guess we'll have to wait and see. :/

best and most fun way to "farm" souls has always been coop/pvp.

Shinjica

I was specifically singling out the comment about making the game easier, when there are multiple in-game options to turn the difficulty up, which seems to be already relatively high.

This is a thing i dont like in all games, not dark souls in particular.

I prefer to have the same learning curve to everyone instead of the possibility to make the game easy/hard

Steez

This is a thing i dont like in all games, not dark souls in particular.

I prefer to have the same learning curve to everyone instead of the possibility to make the game easy/hard

You're complaining about options that have no effect on your playthrough. I give up, lol.

Shinjica

You're complaining about options that have no effect on your playthrough. I give up, lol.

It was not a complain. For me a well designed game dont need to have possibility to increase or decrease the difficulty if the learning curve is well made.

Changing subject, someone who have tried the game can tell me how the respecting thing work? You have some penality or what?

Steez

It was not a complain. For me a well designed game dont need to have possibility to increase or decrease the difficulty if the learning curve is well made.

Who says that it doesn't have a well designed difficulty curve and at the same time has more options for people who either have a hard time with the game or for veterans who look for a more challenging path.

That's what I mean, so many people are always assuming the worst, lol.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
I bet if co-op didn't exist in DkS and they were only now introducing it in DkS2, people would scream to the high heavens about catering to casuls.

Co-op in DkS is pretty much the easy mode people like to talk about so much.

Oh God, those leaked vids from the Paris event make it look incredible. No doubt a step up visually from DkS1.

I have literally no self control when it comes to spoilers for this game. If it was any other game I would have gone on a media blackout, and I wish I had the willpower to do that for this one, but nope... Anything I can get goes straight into my veins.

More like a few days, but I've been thinking about buying it in the US store as well. Are there any downsides to that?

One week for me, because I'll most likely not get the game delivered in the mail before the 18th, that is one week after the US release.

Only downsides are no disc/box and every DLC they might put up afterwards has to be bought on the US store as well.
So, yeah, go for it!

feel

lets enjoy this gamen and hope that miyazaki is workling on demon's souls 2.

;)
I adore Demon Souls but hell no, I want his next game (if it's a Souls style game) to be in multiple platforms where all the Dark Souls fans and streamers can enjoy it, especially on PC with pristine IQ and framerate.

xPhinehas

I adore Demon Souls but hell no, I want his next game (if it's a Souls style game) to be in multiple platforms where all the Dark Souls fans and streamers can enjoy it, especially on PC with pristine IQ and framerate.

How about PS4 with pristine IQ and framerate?

Dawg

ffs @ that leaked Paris footage...

Some guy (don't even think he was part of the pr) told me I shouldn't take pics after I took a few, but apparently some people did take footage without any problems >_<

Shinjica

ffs @ that leaked Paris footage...

Some guy (don't even think he was part of the pr) told me I shouldn't take pics after I took a few, but apparently some people did take footage without any problems >_<

Ehi Dawn during your game experience have you tried the respec of the character?

jimi_dini

Here's my itv with Tak Miyazoe. Considered making a seperate thread, but there are enough DkS threads already.

In the demo I've also noticed that bonfires are closer to each other. Is that another example?
Definitely. Some people say that the bigger gap between fires is a good thing, because it creates a bigger risk. That's one way of thinking. Now however, we've been able to finetune and balance the game so that the closer bonfires don't take away from the experience.

What?
Which bonfires were "too far away" from each other in Dark Souls? I can't think of any. A few were hidden though - without those it would be different. None of them were problematic in my opinion.

I really don't want to have bonfires right in front of a boss. Don't want to have a BioShock vitachamber experience. And they also added warping from the start, don't they?

Dawg

What?
Which bonfires were "too far away" from each other in Dark Souls? I can't think of any. A few were hidden, but none of them were problematic in my opinion.

I really don't want to have bonfires right in front of a boss. Don't want to have a BioShock vitachamber experience. And they also added warping from the start, don't they?

Bonfires right near a boss wasn't exactly the case. I felt like there were more, but they were hidden better.

Tiops

Can someone make a gif of the "sliding" during the walk animation? I'm not watching any video to not spoil anything, but I would like to see that problem.

Is there any way to get the early digital US version if you live in Europe?

Of course there is :)
First you have to have a US PSN account of course, with a fake-real address.
Then you have to buy PSN credit online (digital codes, there are a few website that provide those) and fill your wallet with 'em.
Pre-order the game on your PS3 and enjoy your theme and, in one month, your game+weapon set.

Jarsonot

Man, I know I'm going to be running at half health 95% of the time.

I'm a decent player, played Demon's and Dark (a LOT) but I'll get hit by traps and killed. I'll go "the wrong way" and be killed. I'll see an item and be killed figuring out how to get it. I'll explore, I'll die.

And so for most of my gameplay I'll just stay dead - why waste an item to become human only to die again minutes later?

What I usually do is play an area hollow while I explore everywhere. I'll search every nook & cranny while also figuring out where the boss is and getting the path to it down pat. Then I'll try the boss and see what it's like, and then, MAYBE I'll become human and give it a go. And then die, and regret wasting that item =)

Second playthrough I'll stay human more often, mostly because I'll know what's coming. How do y'all play?

Dawg

Hidden, good.

I remember me and Creamium playing through a certain zone, always having to go there starting from the hub. But right near the end of the session, we found a bonfire by accident. When you find them, you're like "Oh, it was there all along...". Easy to miss.

RangerX

Banned
My ps3 has just gotten the YLOD. A fucking month before my most anticipated game of the year. I'm a student so I can't afford a to get it fixed. I might have to mug someone for my Dark souls fix. It looks fucking fantastic so far.

takriel

Of course there is :)
First you have to have a US PSN account of course, with a fake-real address.
Then you have to buy PSN credit online (digital codes, there are a few website that provide those) and fill your wallet with 'em.
Pre-order the game on your PS3 and enjoy your theme and, in one month, your game+weapon set.
Thanks for the info! I've seen people say that you get the game one week early this way, is this true? Or can you only get it on 03.11.?

Thanks for the info! I've seen people say that you get the game one week early this way, is this true? Or can you only get it on 03.11.?

Well I'm in Europe, and the game comes out on 03.14...which means it gets at my door AT LEAST on the 18th. A Tuesday.
US Digital comes out on 03.11, a Tuesday, which means I get to play the game one week earlier.

I planned on double-dipping only, but my craving for the next Dark Souls pushed me into triple-dipping :'D

What I usually do is play an area hollow while I explore everywhere. I'll search every nook & cranny while also figuring out where the boss is and getting the path to it down pat. Then I'll try the boss and see what it's like, and then, MAYBE I'll become human and give it a go. And then die, and regret wasting that item =)

Second playthrough I'll stay human more often, mostly because I'll know what's coming. How do y'all play?

Pretty similarly. I'm mostly an explorer and collector. Finding all the secrets is my favorite thing.

sublimit

Banned
Well this is cool

It might be only me but i really don't like the design of this armor they have choose to promote the game.Kinda looks like a generic mix of medieval and ancient Greek/Roman styles to me.
IMO the fluted armor from Demon's and the elite Knight armor from Dark's cover were so much more elegant and stylish.

solarus

I'm sure this has been discussed to death already and I'll get shit on for mentionin it but... is anyone else worried about the T rating, I feel namco bandai wants the Souls games to be something they are not and get them to have a broader mainstream appeal and sell in the millions. The preorder dlc stuff is also rubbing me the wrong way. Cautiously optimistic about the game though.
EDIT: Yes I know dark souls sold more than 2 million, I mean they want to grow that even further by widening its appeal to a larger audience.

Top Bottom