• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New previews for Dark Souls II

BearPawB

Banned
I'm sure this has been discussed to death already and I'll get shit on for mentionin it but... is anyone else worried about the T rating, I feel namco bandai wants the Souls games to be something they are not and get them to have a broader mainstream appeal and sell in the millions. The preorder dlc stuff is also rubbing me the wrong way. Cautiously optimistic about the game though.
EDIT: Yes I know dark souls sold more than 2 million, I mean they want to grow that even further by widening its appeal to a larger audience.

i don't think it was a deliberate choice.
Perhaps they just didn't design any naked bosses this time.

There was nothing particularly violent about dark souls.

Certain enemies stopping their respawn after 15 deaths or what have you seems worrying, but I feel like it may balance out just fine with the health loss and the permanent threat of invasion.

Kieli

i don't think it was a deliberate choice.
Perhaps they just didn't design any naked bosses this time.

There was nothing particularly violent about dark souls.

Both Demon's and Dark Souls got an M rating. At this point, I really do NOT want to know what they cut out (if anything) or how they changed their direction to give it a T rating.

I want Dark Fantasy. No dark fantasy worth a damn is gonna be lugging around a T rating.

takriel

Well I'm in Europe, and the game comes out on 03.14...which means it gets at my door AT LEAST on the 18th. A Tuesday.
US Digital comes out on 03.11, a Tuesday, which means I get to play the game one week earlier.

I planned on double-dipping only, but my craving for the next Dark Souls pushed me into triple-dipping :'D
Okay, thanks. Couldn't you find an online store that ships the game to you on launch day though? One week seems kind of a really long time to ship.

Both Demon's and Dark Souls got an M rating. At this point, I really do NOT want to know what they cut out (if anything) or how they changed their direction to give it a T rating.

I want Dark Fantasy. No dark fantasy worth a damn is gonna be lugging around a T rating.

Considering how the rating system works, they could keep violence, gore, exposed entrails and foul language, but not show any boobies, and get a T rating. Show a side-nipple? M for Mature.

Feindflug

Considering how the rating system works, they could keep violence, gore, exposed entrails and foul language, but not show any boobies, and get a T rating. Show a side-nipple? M for Mature.

It's probably nudity as Dark Souls here in Europe had a 16+ rating and DS2 has the same as well.

Visceir

It's probably nudity as Dark Souls here in Europe had a 16+ rating and DS2 has the same as well.

There is an esrb summary for Dark Souls 2 out there, it does contain spoilers though.

Light spoilers
hair barely covering breasts is in the game

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
I'm not sure that enemies not respawning after 15 kills is such a bad thing. First of all, if you're dying 15 times in a row trying to clear an area then clearly you need a little help. Taking out a few enemies for you after you've failed 15 times isn't going to affect the difficulty of the game all that much.

This is balanced out by the fact that if you remove enemies after 15 kills then you're actually making the game harder for people who die often because they have less opportunities to gain souls. Say you keep dying and you don't always make it back to your bloodstain before dying again, and you've done this 15 times in a row. If enemies stop respawning then not only have you lost the souls you previously gained, but now you don't have the opportunity of gaining more souls before moving onto the next area.

What bothers me more is losing health every time you die. I guess the theory is that the more deaths you have the more knowledge you have about the area, so you don't need as much health to get through the area since you will be avoiding the mistakes you made previously. However I have a feeling that this will just cause everyone to run around with the Cling Ring equipped, reducing your effective ring slots from 4 to 3.

I'm not sure that enemies not respawning after 15 kills is such a bad thing. First of all, if you're dying 15 times in a row trying to clear an area then clearly you need a little help. Taking out a few enemies for you after you've failed 15 times isn't going to affect the difficulty of the game all that much.

This is balanced out by the fact that if you remove enemies after 15 kills then you're actually making the game harder for people who die often because they have less opportunities to gain souls. Say you keep dying and you don't always make it back to your bloodstain before dying again, and you've done this 15 times in a row. If enemies stop respawning then not only have you lost the souls you previously gained, but now you don't have the opportunity of gaining more souls before moving onto the next area.

What bothers me more is losing health every time you die. I guess the theory is that the more deaths you have the more knowledge you have about the area, so you don't need as much health to get through the area since you will be avoiding the mistakes you made previously. However I have a feeling that this will just cause everyone to run around with the Cling Ring equipped, reducing your effective ring slots from 4 to 3.
dear god From has added difficulty that trolls you

Dawg

Exactly how the producer explained it.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
My problem isn't more bonfires, I suppose. I would have preferred, perhaps, more shortcuts. Finding them are one of my favourite parts of these games. Adding more bonfires might mean there's less focus on that ingenious interconnected feeling.

Randam

when I would have been the director of this game, we would have a hub, where you have to go to level up, but no warping till halfway through the game. ^^

Jarsonot

You guys really think you'll ALWAYS be able to warp from a bonfire? That's a security blanket, son, and From is going to rip that shit away.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
It was said that you can warp at every bonfire. Look some page back

Yeah, but I get what he's saying... Wouldn't be surprised if they pull a reverse-lordvessel and leave you with no warp, at least for a while. Actually... thinking about it I'd be almost disappointed if this didn't happen. What a great troll that'd be.

Soriku

You guys really think you'll ALWAYS be able to warp from a bonfire? That's a security blanket, son, and From is going to rip that shit away.

No, they won't. They already said they're allowing you to warp anywhere because there's no point in having you run back and forth between areas you've already beaten. This is part of the "stripping the fat" philosophy they have with this game. That, and you need to warp so you're able to level up and buy stuff at Majula.

I don't love the idea of warp from the start, but I really hope that there will be more areas like the Painted World if that's the case. I like the idea of being stuck there until you finish it.

The famitsu article showed all the possible head styles for a male character. Are there any screenshots that show the same but for female characters?

So far it looks darker than Dark Souls.

And besides, all of the super popular franchises are M rated these days. These games could have always gotten away with a T rating in the first place.

Randam

The famitsu article showed all the possible head styles for a male character. Are there any screenshots that show the same but for female characters?

these are all??
6XXjXAu.jpg

all of them suck. :D

truly101

I got grudge sucked!

but he needs that for his dark twisted fantasy

mellow

That's..not a lot of options. Though when I think about it, I'm always wearing headgear and don't even remember what my main character's hairstyle is on Dark Souls after playing 200 hours with it.

RK9039

Is the cling ring confirmed to be in? Did people report on that?

Yes, but we're not 100% sure if it's called Cling Ring, it might be called something different. This was leaked around the time when the network test started, there was a list of most of the items/spells in the game and one of the descriptions of an unnamed ring had the same effect of the Cling Ring from Demon's Souls.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
That's..not a lot of options. Though when I think about it, I'm always wearing headgear and don't even remember what my main character's hairstyle is on Dark Souls after playing 200 hours with it.

or you're a withered corpse

Jarsonot

No, they won't. They already said they're allowing you to warp anywhere because there's no point in having you run back and forth between areas you've already beaten. This is part of the "stripping the fat" philosophy they have with this game. That, and you need to warp so you're able to level up and buy stuff at Majula.

Right, but what I'm saying is that they'll let you feel all warm and cozy, and then you'll get to some area, or do something, or have something done to you, and BAM! All of a sudden no warping!

Remember when firelink shrine's bonfire was out? Yeah.

I'm just speculating here, thinking it would be totally in character for the game.

wehy.jpg

aw yiss.

Maybe I'll just keep my two other versions of the game wrapped and store them in my collection and just play the day 1 digital...though for PC that would be a bit problematic as I would need the CD Key inside the box...and retrieve my statue should I decide to put it somewhere (probably won't, no space :p).

What I liked about no warping in Dark Souls was that it made the world feel alive. If I thought of something to go do, I had to take into consideration where and how far I'd have to walk. There was a real risk to that, not just with getting attacked, but there is a trade off of investing time. It made you think in context to the world you are in. It's an emotional thing, and seeing as how they are so keen on you leveling up at a character because of the same reason, I'm wondering why they left this aspect out. Having to journey is what makes the game what it is to me.

I gotta say, sometimes 'stripping the fat' isn't always a good thing.

What I liked about no warping in Dark Souls was that it made the world feel alive. If I thought of something to go do, I had to take into consideration where and how far I'd have to walk. There was a real risk to that, not just with getting attacked, but there is a trade off of investing time. It made you think in context to the world you are in. It's an emotional thing, and seeing as how they are so keen on you leveling up at a character because of the same reason, [b}I'm wondering why they left this aspect out. Having to journey is what makes the game what it is to me.[/b]

I gotta say, sometimes 'stripping the fat' isn't always a good thing.

as you might say (with some adjustment :) ):

Because it is their design that it work that way? I get that some people like not being able to warp, but that's not what they intended.

Either way, you can still not warp...

as you might say (with some adjustment :) ):

You completely changed what I said, so...

Dark Souls was designed in mind that you would be invaded. You can stop that from happening, but now stopping that from happening is part of the gameplay. Doesn't take anything away from the original design, but adds to it.

Warping was not intended for the gameplay in the early game, but now they have decided that in Dark Souls 2, you can. Knowing that you can warp takes away that feeling I was talking about, even if you just choose not to.

So, using what I said as an argument against what I'm saying doesn't make much sense. One is adding to the original design, and the other is cutting something away.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
I see the warping as optional. People are overreacting because you can warp from bonfire to bonfire but IMO it doesn't ruins the exploration/shortcuts to areas. Actually it is a tool that works in both way for players. If you did all the exploration in the area there is no need to go through it and if you wanna simply go straight ahead without looking around the area you may also speed up the process.

The only thing I could see conflicting its the enemy respawn and it seems you can control that too with some effort. You can make the game as hard or easy as you want it and you can explore as much and little as you want. Its mostly optional things which you are not being forced to use for most of the part.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Warping will probably change the sense of the world, I definitely agree with that concern. However, warping instead of traveling the long way does have a cost to the player. Think of all the souls you'll miss out on just skipping from place to place. That's got to add up, and it might make the game harder as a result.

Shinjica

If you did all the exploration in the area there is no need to go through it and if you wanna simply go straight ahead without looking around the area you may also speed up the process..

This is a thing i dont understand. In the first Dark Souls you open many shortcuts and revisiting the previous area toke you 5 minute or less. So, or 5 minute for is a HUUUUGE amount of time or you dont really need the ability to warp in every bonfire.

In my personal opinion the system in the first game was perfect. You can start warping when you have done half the game and only the main bonfire are avaible.

Still, i pretty curious if we dont know other thing that developer improved in the system and we dont know yet. I really hope it was not made only for making the game more simple to handle

You completely changed what I said, so...

Dark Souls was designed in mind that you would be invaded. You can stop that from happening, but now stopping that from happening is part of the gameplay. Doesn't take anything away from the original design, but adds to it.

Warping was not intended for the gameplay in the early game, but now they have decided that in Dark Souls 2, you can. Knowing that you can warp takes away that feeling I was talking about, even if you just choose not to.

So, using what I said as an argument against what I'm saying doesn't make much sense. One is adding to the original design, and the other is cutting something away.

c'mon, man :) ...

your original response to my complaint re invasions was 'Because it is their design that it work that way?' all i'm pointing out is that this applies equally to your complaint re warping...

you're either fine with justifying changes, based purely on the fact that it's part of 'their design', or you're not. sounds to me like the only complaints about changes in 'their design' you feel are justified are the ones you personally care about...

Mutombo

Whining about warping available as well? You mean you DIDN'T speedrun past all the enemies after your umpteenth death at the boss? You mean speedrunning past all those enemies, whom you really don't want to kill for the umpteenth time, was adding to the game design?

Alright.

Hypron

Whining about warping available as well? You mean you DIDN'T speedrun past all the enemies after your umpteenth death at the boss? You mean speedrunning past all those enemies, whom you really don't want to kill for the umpteenth time, was adding to the game design?

Alright.

Huh I think that's still in the game, from is not putting bonfires in front of all the bosses.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member

Alright.

I never speed ran unless I was going for a speed run.
Every time I tried to rush past familiar enemies to get my souls/to the boss, I would make a stupid mistake or get horribly unlucky and lose everything. I wouldn't say killing/running past the same group of enemies added to the game, but for me, it was part of the game, and I learned to be more patient from it.

With more bonfires/warping, It's not like they're taking out the general need to be careful. It's just different (because it's a different game). I'm sure DS2 will teach me some new things the original couldn't, as well.

Top Bottom