• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New previews for Dark Souls II

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
All the impressions I ever needed were the ones from EpicNameBro, and on twitter he said he liked it more than Dark Souls 1.

Enough for me. Time to go on Media Blackout!

Wow, that's exciting to hear. I loved ENB's lore videos on DS, and his let's plays are some of the only ones I've ever watched. So interesting.

I'm really curious to see what these previews have to say, but a few paragraphs into the Destructoid one and there are location/progress spoilers. Do any of the authors offer a new look at the game without describing their blow-by-blow experience?

On that note, many reviews/previews these days are getting filled with a lot of "and then I did this, and then this happened..."

It gets irritating not only because you don't want to be spoiled on a potentially great moment/discovery, but because these people should be providing a well-thought-out, balanced look at something. New systems, mechanical changes, differences since previous builds/reveals, etc. Not a personal play blog.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
My summer is booked with DS2. I hope From Software makes a portable version for Vita. Am I wrong to think the Vita could handle it?
$$$$ money $$$
Good, I hope they ban cheaters!

SpokkX

any news about the framerate on ps3? if there are framerateproblem i will wait for a ps4-version...

Loved Dark Souls but the framerate really hindered my enjoyment

any news about the framerate on ps3? if there are framerateproblem i will wait for a ps4-version...

Loved Dark Souls but the framerate really hindered my enjoyment

It wasn't that bad - my only issue is some really bad difficulty spikes, that eventually stopped my enjoyment of the game, namely Smough & Ornstein.

I don't mind it being hard, but that battle, was just unfair!

I'm trying to limit the information I get from this game, I want to be fully surprised.

Started playing Dark Souls 1 last week and already 25 hours into the game. The game is amazing.

Question: Since I'm avoiding trailers and gameplay footage, can anyone tell me if the health bar of enemies are still visible? I'd love if they would just remove it, as it would make the game even more difficult.

Jintor

It wasn't that bad - my only issue is some really bad difficulty spikes, that eventually stopped my enjoyment of the game, namely Smough & Ornstein.

Jeff green beat it in one!

...after four streams

I'm trying to limit the information I get from this game, I want to be fully surprised.

Started playing Dark Souls 1 last week and already 25 hours into the game. The game is amazing.

Question: Since I'm avoiding trailers and gameplay footage, can anyone tell me if the health bar of enemies are still visible? I'd love if they would just remove it, as it would make the game even more difficult.

I think that would be a genuinely terrible idea for 90% of the enemies. The hit animation isn't quite up to a level where I would be able to tell if my attacks are effective or not. Wasting 10 minutes attacking an enemy with no idea whether it has a lot of HP or if my attacks are doing insignificany damage is not my idea of fun :p

I think that would be a genuinely terrible idea for 90% of the enemies. The hit animation isn't quite up to a level where I would be able to tell if my attacks are effective or not. Wasting 10 minutes attacking an enemy with no idea whether it has a lot of HP or if my attacks are doing insignificany damage is not my idea of fun :p

True but they could implement some other way to know if your hit is succesful or not.

Shinjica

Could be anything from a coupke of weeks after consoles, to a couple of months from the sounds of things. i'd play it safe and go PS3, but already bought and paid for a Steam key :(

Oh come on. The release for the console is in 1 month and half and we, still, dont have a proper release date for the PC.

Oh come on. The release for the console is in 1 month and half and we, still, dont have a proper release date for the PC.

Is it so hard to accept FROM wants to make sure the game runs proper on PC?
It's like people try to bitch about everything.

- Game releases on PC and it's a bad port : OUTCRY
- Game needs more dev time to avoid first one: OUTCRY

Shinjica

Is it so hard to accept FROM wants to make sure the game runs proper on PC?
It's like people try to bitch about everything.

- Game releases on PC and it's a bad port : OUTCRY
- Game needs more dev time to avoid first one: OUTCRY

I start to fell that the "more time to polish the PC version" is a excuse for another reason that Namco and From wont tell us.

Plus why not release all the version in the same day instead of delaying only the PC one?

I start to fell that the "more time to polish the PC version" is a excuse for another reason that Namco and From wont tell us.

Plus why not release all the version in the same day instead of delaying only the PC one?

I think they know they made a terrible mistake with the first one. Maybe they want to optimise the textures and framerate a little bit....
You could be right although I really hope it isn't the case.

SpokkX

framerate wasn´t that bad? REALLY?

It had the worst framerate of any game i played this generation, by FAR. Blighttown was almost unplayable imo

erawsd

So what are your guys predictions for the PC release ? in the GB interview Brian answer to the question that Brad asked was really interesting.

Yeah, that GB interview almost made it sound like the PC release was suffering some type of "political" cockblocking.

Could be that Namco/Bandai is trying to maximize profits on the hardcore base that'll pick up a console version day one and then pick up the PC version for the superior bells/whistles.

Sanctuary

I think they know they made a terrible mistake with the first one. Maybe they want to optimise the textures and framerate a little bit....
You could be right although I really hope it isn't the case.

I'm not holding my breath about them optimizing any textures. The PC version of Dark Souls appeared to have the same textures that were from the console, and in the month (or so) Edge interview, From said that the low res textures people noticed in the beta for PS3 were not a priority. They said they might work on the textures, but it's not a priority unless it affects gameplay. They also said that the PC version *might* run at a higher framerate.

With that kind of attitude, it just seems like all the PC version is going to be is one that has the same everything as the consoles, except the internal renderer will actually function like it should on the PC, some AF/AA options and we'll have a locked 30fps until someone unlocks it. In other words, a standard, not truly optimized for PC port that has been pretty standard.

It had the worst framerate of any game i played this generation, by FAR. Blighttown was almost unplayable imo

Mmm, more GAF hyperbole, nom, nom, nom. The console version had framerate drops, but it didn't interfere nor was it the worst of last gen except in two areas, one of which didn't even matter and was fixed after the patch. Blighttown was the biggest hindrance, but there wasn't any other areas remotely that bad.

I'm not holding my breath about them optimizing any textures. The PC version of Dark Souls appeared to have the same textures that were from the console, and in the month (or so) Edge interview, From said that the low res textures people noticed in the beta for PS3 were not a priority. They said they might work on the textures, but it's not a priority unless it affects gameplay. They also said that the PC version *might* run at a higher framerate.

With that kind of attitude, it just seems like all the PC version is going to be is one that has the same everything as the consoles, except the internal renderer will actually function like it should on the PC, some AF/AA options and we'll have a locked 30fps until someone unlocks it. In other words, a standard, not truly optimized for PC port that has been pretty standard.

If that is the case, then I'm not unhappy playing Dark Souls for a while. By the time I get to the sequel, some proper mods will fix all the issues hopefully

puzl

Banned
60fps was confirmed for Dark Souls 2 on PC a long, long time ago. There are even trailers which are shown in 60fps, presumably taken from the PC version.

On PS3 it wasn't that bad - maybe you are used to buttery smooth framerates on the PC? As for me, it was playable for sure and I got through that area fairly easily, which is a feat considering I gave up fully later on!

On PS3 it wasn't that bad - maybe you are used to buttery smooth framerates on the PC? As for me, it was playable for sure and I got through that area fairly easily, which is a feat considering I gave up fully later on!

Not really. After playing previous generation on PS3 I've bought myself a gaming pc a few weeks ago (with Dark Souls my first Steam game).

I should've done this a long time ago.

What I'd like more from the series is the bosses to interact more with the player while you are fighting them, such as taunting and talking about why they are there in the first place, mute enemies just get boring

Shinjica

60fps was confirmed for Dark Souls 2 on PC a long, long time ago. There are even trailers which are shown in 60fps, presumably taken from the PC version.

So why the director tell in the EDGE interview that the PC version will have a slighty improved framerate?

If that is the case, then I'm not unhappy playing Dark Souls for a while. By the time I get to the sequel, some proper mods will fix all the issues hopefully

Durante dont get paid for fix what FROM and SCAMCO dont want to do.

Sanctuary

K. Original goals don't really matter if the final product doesn't meet or exceed them.

http://www.edge-online.com/features...reat-adventure-of-the-ps3-and-360-generation/ - January 22 2014

Another area of concern for some fans who played the network test was the framerate, which was a downright disaster in some areas of the previous game and still seemed choppy on occasion in the beta. Miyazoe insists this will be fixed at 30fps on PS3 and 360, and maybe a little higher on PC, by release. Careful observers also noticed a smattering of low-res textures, particularly on the ground but also some walls and clothing elements. These will be fixed as far as possible, but Miyazoe says they’re not a top priority. “If it’s far in the distance, we might just leave it,” he says. “If it’s very crucial to the gameplay, we will definitely fix it. The visuals have improved a lot from Dark Souls, and we want to capitalise on that.”

SpokkX

No I never play PC games, only console.

Frankly i am shocked people even try to argue that the framerate was not that bad?
Several areas had severe drops that made it feel like the game never left beta.

And we are not talking 20-25 fps, we are talking 5-15 fps. This is worse than most n64 games (a console notorious for bad framerate) and worse than early games on ps3 like heavenly sword.

Have noone really commented on the framerate in the build the press is currently playing?

Sanctuary

Look at how old that is, and then read the article that isn't almost a year old.

Frankly i am shocked people even try to argue that the framerate was not that bad?

And we are not talking 20-25 fps, we are talking 5-15 fps. This is worse than most n64 games (a console notorious for bad framerate) and worse than early games on ps3 like heavenly sword.

It never dropped to 5fps, even in Blighttown unless you had some huge train following you and then you tried fighting up on a platform. Can you even list a single area where the framerate dropped below 20fps besides that? I know that the cat creatures in Darkroot Garden caused some immsense slowdown if all of them were attacking you at once, but that's literally the only other spot with extreme slowdown. The ladder where you would slide down to the area with three rats under the dragon bridge had almost slide-show worthy framerates prior to the patch, and then that was fixed at least after.

Have noone really commented on the framerate in the build the press is currently playing?

Well I know people have complained, but I never saw it as a major issue during my time in that horrible place!

Do you mean at the initial stages on the wooden structures, or when you get down to the bottom?

Would love for the sequel to get a 60fps 1080p version on PS4 and think it will happen by Christmas.

The PC version must be great, am not a PC gamer myself.

Bor

Neo Member
Look at how old that is, and then read the article that isn't almost a year old.
Miyazoe probably just didn't want to tarsh the console versions in the interview. I mean, what does "a little higher " even mean. it makes absolutely no sense in a pc context. They wont lock the framerate at 37 fps

puzl

Banned

Blighttown on PS3 was about 20fps. The worst part was when you invaded someones world in that area and they had 2 white phantoms with them. It quite literally crawled to about 5 FPS in the spawn location (near the Great Hollow)

Utterly dreadful performance. The PS3 beta of Dark Souls 2 often dropped below 30fps when you used the torch too. It's so grating after getting used to the PC's 60fps. I will be buying the sequel for both PS3 and PC, but as soon as the latter is released, I will be selling the PS3 version. I just can't handle shitty framerates anymore, especially in such an input-sensitive game.

I haven't read any preview coverage nor will I. Can someone please tell me if it has been said which class have been overhauled/been given special attention. I want to play with the class that was given the most care.

Sanctuary

Also, here is the latest trailer, again running at 60fps

The PC version is being delayed to accommodate for what PC gamers expect, as well as making up for the woeful original port. If this game doesn't have 60fps, then they have failed the platform.

I have no idea where this naive optimism comes from. I'll be enjoying the game on the PS3 when it arrives and buying it again once the more optimized PC version is released, with the inevitable player fixes, but I'm under no illusions that it's going to be this magnificient epitome of optimization where it runs flawlessly at 60fps and the textures are all 2048 or higher.

I mean, I guess if I just watched pretty promotional trailers, stuck my head in the sand, and didn't actually read what a developer just recently said, I'd be dreaming of rainbows and unicorns too!

I haven't read any preview coverage nor will I. Can someone please tell me if it has been said which class have been overhauled/been given special attention. I want to play with the class that was given the most care.

There were never any "classes" in any of the Souls game. They did say that they were trying to make the spells (both Sorcery and Miracles) more fun this time around though, and to make archery viable. From the previews, Sorcery at least looks like it has a lot of potential to be more than just fire and forget at a distance or just used for a weapon buff.

puzl

Banned
I have no idea where this naive optimism comes from. I'll be enjoying the game on the PS3 when it arrives and buying it again once the more optimized PC version is released, with the inevitable player fixes, but I'm under no illusions that it's going to be this magnificient epitome of optimization where it runs flawlessly at 60fps and the textures are all 2048 or higher.

I mean, I guess if I just watched pretty promotional trailers, stuck my head in the sand, and didn't actually read what a developer just recently said, I'd be dreaming of rainbows and unicorns too!

Do you honestly think FROM will release a game that is "slightly better" in framerate and then lock it to 40fps? That makes absolutely zero sense. FROM are notorious for having their words mistranslated and misinterpreted, but it's pretty obvious based on past information and recent promotional trailers that the PC version will be locked at 60FPS or above. Whether this dips or not is irrelevant in the PC space anyway, since different people use different PC configurations anyway and they can either sustain 60FPS or not.

It's fine to be a cynic, but it would be pretty fucking stupid to delay the PC version due to not wanting a repeat of their last port failure, and then fall for the same mistakes over and over again.

J4g3r

Gibbed the guy who had all the weapon and armor values for the game before the guide was released ( The one who made this site http://darksouls.lljk.net/) found out you can potentially get banned from online if you cheat.

http://imgur.com/qhibhgh

This is great, hopefully they actually take care of cheaters in Dark Souls II.

They're running pretty rampant across all systems in Dark Souls, it's getting pretty frustrating.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x1YYf6wDs-0

Shinjica

Do you honestly think FROM will release a game that is "slightly better" in framerate and then lock it to 40fps? That makes absolutely zero sense. FROM are notorious for having their words mistranslated and misinterpreted, but it's pretty obvious based on past information and recent promotional trailers that the PC version will be locked at 60FPS or above. Whether this dips or not is irrelevant in the PC space anyway, since different people use different PC configurations anyway and they can either sustain 60FPS or not.

It's fine to be a cynic, but it would be pretty fucking stupid to delay the PC version due to not wanting a repeat of their last port failure, and then fall for the same mistakes over and over again.

I'll repeat myself, why the director say "a slighty better" if is not their intention?

If you want, we can bet that the final release of PC version will not have 60FPS

It does sucks the PC version is delay, however its respectable FROM stated they are terrible at PC games and listen to the PC petition. They are trying their best to release a good PC version.

Hypron

I'll repeat myself, why the director say "a slighty better" if is not their intention?

If you want, we can bet that the final release of PC version will not have 60FPS

But "slightly better" doesn't make any sense. The game on console will run at 30 fps. Can you explain what slightly better would mean? A framerate that's locked at 35 fps? That doesn't make sense. If it's not locked at 30, it'll be able to do 60.

Also, how do you explain those 60 fps trailers?

Top Bottom