• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Xbox One Experience update drops Kinect gestures; usage was "very, very low"

Dabanton

Gestures were better than the OG Kinect but not something I would use everyday. Voice on he other hand is invaluable for me.

So keep refining that side of Kinect. The little time I had to use Cortana in the preview showed me it was pretty good even in that buggy ass form. So more improvements in natural voice interaction would be cool.

LQX

Kinect has been such a fucking waste you have to wonder who they focus tested it to. How could they be so wrong?

Alx

Gestures were always a dumb idea. It takes way longer and uses more effort to wave your hands around than it does to tilt an analogue stick a couple of millimetres.

The whole point of gestures is that you can do them even when you're not holding a controller. By the time you reach for one and turn it on, "raise your hand and push" is much faster and more comfortable. (and you don't have to put down your controller afterwards)

This didn't surprise me at all. I never used gestures for menu navigation.

Voice in many situations (starting up games, finding content in stores, etc.) is faster than using a controller for dashboard navigation. Gesture is slower than controller for dashboard navigation. Why would I use gesture?
I use voice to switch and launch or all my digital games. It's awesome. "Xbox go to halo the master chief collection" "Xbox go to Netflix" "Xbox snap achievement" "Xbox record that" they're all nice and keep things flowing

I also use it for volume and turning it on.

LifEndz

BWyGfha.png

Ah, memories.

It was all a dream...

Bgamer90

Banned
I use voice to switch and launch or all my digital games. It's awesome. "Xbox go to halo the master chief collection" "Xbox go to Netflix" "Xbox snap achievement" "Xbox record that" they're all nice and keep things flowing

I also use it for volume and turning it on.

Yeah, same here. All of those examples you mentioned are convieniet. I've gone all digital so I use those commands for all of the Xbox One games that I have.

Madness

But it's pretty obvious by now, that an internal microphone and speaker needs to be in the next console. The voice recognition and voice control works great. I don't think the camera, facial captured and gestures did much.

Good. Hopefully that means people at MS/Xbox division realize how useless/cumbersome gestures are and focus on voice commands. You can have voice commands built into your console/controller without requiring external hardware.
Kinect has been such a fucking waste you have to wonder who they focus tested it to. How could they be so wrong?
We're not just ready for it yet. It was a huge success in 2057 though.

Aggie CMD

Voice commands. Yes.
IR Blasting. Yes
Xbox Fitness. Yes (you can still gesture nav, ewww sweaty controllers)
Dashboard gestures. Definitely not.

Alx

It worked but voice commands were far more useful. I never understood the point of gestures.

It becomes quite apparent if you use Xbox for non-gaming applications, especially watching TV. Browsing oneguide with voice commands isn't convenient at all (especially when you're eating something). And I was using the "go home" gesture a lot, to check content on the dashboard during an ad break or any uninteresting part.
It can be a good solution to navigate the dashboard while on the phone, too.

I think people also understimate the potential importance of gestures for advanced voice commands. Identifying the locutor, checking if he's engaged towards the TV, reading body language, can be an important part in analyzing complex commands.

Cleve

Thank god. The only time I used them was when it would decide I was doing something at the most inopportune time. It would decide that I meant to go home or something like that when I was just going for a drink.

The worst part of the Kinect.

Mine quit out of movies/tv shows more than once because I was passing a drink to someone. Worst part of the kinect.

Thought this was old news, but I also have to say I've never seen a positive Kinect post that mentioned the gestures as a good thing. As long as the voice navigation stays and things like Xbox Fitness continue to work then I'm good.

The fact that this is a new revelation after the NXOE has been in public beta for two months should be telling.

It isn't. It was reported on at the start of October. Just the bigger sites didn't pick it up until now.

Now, they are redesigning the user experience which will suit everyone with or without Kinect. Gesture controls on the menus have been completely removed. “That currently exists in the Xbox One experience, but we found so few people use it,” Nichols said. “Why should we keep designing for that scenario?”

http://microsoft-news.com/microsoft...he-role-of-kinect-sensor-in-xbox-ones-future/

BraXzy

People didn't use it because it was terribly inaccurate. Voice stuff works fine but using your hand? Most of the time 'pushing in' would click something below as hour hand moved through space.

NXOE is a buggy POS. When is it suppose to launch again?

A buggy POS that you are not using the latest version of, even if you're in the Preview Program.

Software development on such a large scale doesn't involve rolling out the latest version to a couple hundred thousand testers. It involves rolling out incrementally changed versions for focus testing and QA and then building changes based on that feedback into the release candidate, or updating the test build to fix urgent problems.

Alx

People didn't use it because it was terribly inaccurate. Voice stuff works fine but using your hand? Most of the time 'pushing in' would click something below as hour hand moved through space.

Actually I'm not too fond of the pushing motion either. Or at least I would have preferred the old "activate by hovering for a short time" (when appropriately tuned, it can be quite reactive, see the menus of Child of Eden for example).
And of course you could allow both, pushing and hovering.
That's something that hasn't been experimented enough, having hybrid commands. I also think that voice + gesture can be a good combination when used together. Like pointing at an item and saying "this one".

Azlan

Good! I really like the voice commands, but it could be super frustrating when the kinect accidentally picked up your hand movements.

jelly

It's still baffling that anyone at Microsoft thought it was a good idea, not once but twice. Fantasy land.

The gestures were an interesting idea, just not very well executed.

I lost count of the number of times Kinect would pick up an accidental hand gesture from someone in the room.

I love my kinect but gestures never really worked well. They were more frustrating than anything else to be honest.

I still love the kinect games. To me, they bring the whole family together like the Wii did and even better. Dance Central, Fruit Ninja, Kinect Sports Rivals are all games casuals love to play at parties. I hope Microsoft makes more kinect games, i'm not talking about big budget games but simple, easy to play experiences. This is where Kinect shines imo.

I can't wait for Cortana on XB1 though.

Thank god. The majority of the time I used this was by accident and absolutely didn't want to. My dog would jump on the couch and an invisible hand would pause my movie.

Top Bottom