• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Xbox One Experience update drops Kinect gestures; usage was "very, very low"

Flintty

I wonder how the people who bought the XBO day one because they were excited for what the Kinect tech could do for games are feeling now.

I feel fine. I got the X1 for the games, not Kinect. It's good for voice commands and the kids like it for Just Dance but that's about it. I've lost no sleep over it.

More to the point though, I doubt many people were excited for the Kinect so your inflammatory post is mute.

Still can't believe how much the launch xbone was 'designed by committee '
Can't help but imagine how much better the console could have been if they would have done their homework when designing the device.

I like the console, but taking away what was perceived as 'key features ' at launch is simply ignored now. Clearly whoever greenlit the launch xbone was clueless as to what gamers actually wanted from their console

Yeah I often wonder what could have been. I really hope MS learned from how much they fucked up the initial design and direction of the console.

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
We have a product for people who want Kinect dashboard gestures, it's called Xbox 360.

hqdefault.jpg

“Xbox removes motion gestures“
NeoGAF: Good riddance!

“Call of Duty's main characters race can't be changed“
NeoGAF: This is unacceptable!

Never change GAF.

EBE

have a kinect, never used gestures for navigating the dash. they sucked and were somehow better on the 360. wont be missed

Bgamer90

Banned
DerZuhälter;184947209 said:

Never change GAF.

I...

ASfwQa2.gif

What?

muzzymate

The absolute worse gesture was the arms forward motion to simulate a push. Never worked for me because it would interpret my push as a repositioning of the hand.

Never change GAF.

What are you talking about? o_O

Geist-

I'm not surprised. At least for me, it never worked all that well to the point I forgot they even existed. I wonder what the stats are for using voice controls though. I use that quite a bit.

I've never turned on/off my console with the power button. Same with launching games and apps. I don't think I'd know how to navigate my console without voice commands.

Withnail

For all the people requesting a microphone, I'm pretty sure Microsoft said the Kinect box power is required to process and analyze the voice input, it's not possible to issue those commands with a standard headset

LOL. Protip: don't believe everything MS tells you.

onQ123

For all the people requesting a microphone, I'm pretty sure Microsoft said the Kinect box power is required to process and analyze the voice input, it's not possible to issue those commands with a standard headset

Nothing inside of Kinect is as powerful as the SoC in the XboxOne or the cloud so it can be done using a mic.

CaptNink

Never change GAF.

Huh? What am I missing here?

The behind the scenes book about the development of the Xbox One is going to be amazing if it ever happens. So many unfathomably bad decisions.

SURGEdude

I wonder how the people who bought the XBO day one because they were excited for what the Kinect tech could do for games are feeling now.

I bought an launch bundle but never had a ounce of excitement for Kinect. I just bought their BS that they would never unbundle the thing so I figured why wait. When they dropped it I felt like a fool.

As for gestures, never used them. But I never had much issue with false positives either.

Never change GAF.

This is an excellent comparison and I'm disappointed that more people aren't bringing it up.

nOoblet16

A lot of people mixing up kinect voice command with the hand gestures. The hand gestures was a cool idea but it never worked properly, it required you tonhold your hands up in the air for a while to even notice your hands. Meh.

The voice commands are a good way to navigate Xbox, but they are good only because of how terrible the Xbox GUI is compared to PS4's. Wanna open a party? Yea it's a separate app so you gotta load it up, wanna go activate something else? It's inside a folder that takes another half a second of blank screen and then activating takes another few seconds of blank screen. Everything is an app !

Wanna unsnap? Double press Xbox button then press down, wanna quickly open a party to join a game? Open the bloody app again and then when you go to a game it will snap it automatically...what the shit ?

PS4's GUI is so quickly, simple and efficient. It also avoids using blocks so the objects don't take as much space. Going out of game to check the party chat takes no time at all !

Fake Edit: I also mute myself whenever I use a kinect voice command. It's embarrassing, especially when it doesn't work due to game audio creating a lot of noise.

Never change GAF.

DerZuhälter;184949177 said:
Removing options being applauded, why exactly? Yet when options just don't exist everyone is fuming.
this guy is definitely on to something here

Now the real question is- how fast is this new UI? Anyone has comments on the latest build from the preview program? I hope it's as snappy as PS4.

If the latest preview build I have is anything to go by, still painfully slow.

Hoping this changes when the actual release happens.

Chojin

Yeah honestly i rarely used gestures, but i use the voice commands all the time.

Still... i don't see why leaving them in would hurt anyone. I mean you could disable them if you really didn't want it right?

I don't see why remove something even if few use it.

Every new iteration of their software they'd have to test these ridiculous features and fix any bugs that crop up. I can imagine being that tester, swiping the air every new build they're about release, begging my boss to just rip that shit out.

Head.spawn

I used it from time to time, but I can live without it.

I liked using it the most for Netflix and that app dropped support for it a long time ago.

Syntsui

Typical Microsoft not giving a fuck about minorities. Fuck these corporations and their elitist practices.
lol

The gestures were actually really annoying for me. Sometimes I would kick my feet up onto the table and it would think I was trying to use a gesture. I'm glad it's gone. The main benefit of Kinect is its voice commands.

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member

Never change GAF.

dude, you username and what you wrote together paints a really bad picture about you.

Bgamer90

Banned
DerZuhälter;184949177 said:
Removing options being applauded, why exactly? Yet when options just don't exist everyone is fuming.

I wouldn't compare the reaction from missing something that has been standard in create-a-character modes for over 15 years (changing skin tone) with removing a feature that many people didn't use at all and frankly didn't make much sense to use (dashboard gesture navigation).

Makes sense, I love my Kinect for Voice Controls, but the dashboard gestures were always "meh". It would always be faster to just rattle out the voice command.

Top Bottom