• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-gen consoles have reached CGI rendering in real time ?

In some respects, it's getting close. I think the big challenge is maintaining that quality over the course of a whole game. Across gigantic levels. This is ridiculously hard to do, not just technologically, but also from a development perspective (takes a Ton of work from hundreds of artists/programmers; or really clever algorithms to automate/procedurally generate it).

CGI, or prerendered graphics that are rendered on some other machine than the one you're using, has the advantage that it is not a game. They can define what you see (and what you don't). they don't have to render what isn't on the screen at the time. There aren't physics calculations to run, or AI to run, based on your input. I think it'll be possible to see games that get close to reaching CG levels of quality, but it'll still be a monumental challenge to maintain that level throughout an entire game because of the design, technical and artistic challenges that this would require.

Also, I'm talking about gameplay. If we're talking about "in-engine" cut scenes, I think we'll get pretty close to movie-level quality CGI this generation. It's a lot easier to get that level of quality in an in-engine cut scene than it is during gameplay. Just look at Alan Wake, or Uncharted games, or TLOU...or frankly, any game with predefined cut scenes.

Although I do think we're going to start seeing a lot of "seamless" cut scenes. Where cinematic scenes flow seamlessly into the game. Like what Ryse does in some cases. That stuff was really impressive, especially the first time I saw it.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
I think CGi is to high regarded, Real Time is never gonna match the perfect frames of CGi
And CG films tend to not to go realistic looking, Tron legacy is the only film to cast CGI actor along side real actors including the it based off and that shows we don't need to compare todays graphics with 14 year old CG
Its comparable to todays.
tron-legacy-talking_1280x800.jpg
unch.gif

Vesper73

Obviously a relatively cheap console is not going to compete 'technically' with server farms, but we are surely matching the 'appearance' of CGI.

So if the question is, have we reaching a similar 'appearance' to that of CGI in realtime, then the answer is obviously 'yes'. If you want to get mired in the technical details, then the answer is obviously 'no'. And before you say, "Well, obviously!", I would just respond that up to this point I don't believe we've been able to match even the 'appearance' of CGI. So in that sense, I think we've reached a very significant milestone indeed!

So going forward, I think the term 'diminishing returns' is appropriate when speaking of CGI, particularly for games.

Amazing times! Try to imagine where we'll be by the end of this generation.

P.S. I'm going to be dodging shoes/fruit/pie for saying this, but I wonder what ND could do with the PS4 at 30hz! /ducks

I think CGi is to high regarded, Real Time is never gonna match the perfect frames of CGi
And CG films tend to not to go realistic looking, Tron legacy is the only film to cast CGI actor along side real actors including the it based off and that shows we don't need to compare todays graphics with 14 year old CG
Its comparable to todays.

unch.gif

The major difference being that CLU looks like a real man and Drake looks like cg.

zychi

Banned
Never forget.

"Real time in game engine"
nextgen_madden.jpg

What we actually got.
madden-nfl-07-20060620084808117-000.jpg

It amazes me how quickly gamers forget.

Watchdogs.gif

shandy706

The major difference being that CLU looks like a real man and Drake looks like cg.

One is really well done CG (although I felt a lot of uncanny valley with that model). Drake looks like a gameplay model with nice textures and good AA. Watch it at 1080p full screen. Our gifs always make things look better. Those look like textures these consoles can easily handle at full res and full screen. Especially his shirt.

There technically aren't any cut scenes in the Order.

Well "technically" both games use in-game assets either way. It's why they can seamlessly go from gameplay to "cut-scene" if they want.

Wait till we get to the end of this generation, that is going to be insane. Especially when the next GTA releases in 4-5 years.

zychi

Banned
...Di....Did you just compare EA to ND? .......

I can pull out the naughty dog uncharted 2 trailer v actual in-game cutscenes garbage too.

Or I can pull out more Ubisoft

Or Rockstar with GTA V.

Your choice.

This is the same nonsense as the "team cgi" v "team real"

Gamers on the internet can't tell the difference between actual cgi and someone wearing a mask, let alone predict what a game still in development will looks like in 6 months.

zychi

Banned
Then why didn't you? Would have been more appropriate. Your particular example seems quite disingenuous indeed.... I wonder.....

Because it was....... at the beginning of...... a generation of systems......... The same ......... as we are currently..........now.........

Vesper73

Because it was....... at the beginning of...... a generation of systems......... The same ......... as we are currently..........now.........

I was simply suggesting that comparing ND to ND would be more appropriate. Not saying that you're wrong necessarily. :)

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
CGI, or prerendered graphics that are rendered on some other machine than the one you're using, has the advantage that it is not a game. They can define what you see (and what you don't). they don't have to render what isn't on the screen at the time. There aren't physics calculations to run

Absolutely not true. A lot of modern CG shots have immense simulation calculations for things like hair, particles (i.e. fire, smoke), water, even animation related things for skin and muscle in some cases. Improving flesh simulation was one of my department's projects for the Hulk and Avengers for example. There was even work focused on stuff like eyelids, to make sure the pupil was properly moving against the lid if it was closed. Yeah, you may never see the effect of something that small in a given shot, especially if it was far away and not a close-up, but that's the insane level of detail places like ILM dive into.

Simulation is one of the main reasons render times are still so friggin long today.

Nekofrog

Banned
Game graphics will never be as truly good as prerendered CGI movies, mainly because of a lack of emphasis put on animation in so many games.

Vesper73

What about Capcom? can we compare them to ND? and Guerrilla Games? As much as I want to believe them, I have a feeling it will end up like Deep Down or Killzone 2.

I was posting in the thread about the Uncharted 4 trailer being in-engine and got my threads mixed up. My bad. You too zychi /bow

One is really well done CG (although I felt a lot of uncanny valley with that model). Drake looks like a gameplay model with nice textures and good AA. Watch it at 1080p full screen. Our gifs always make things look better. Those look like textures these consoles can easily handle at full res and full screen. Especially his shirt.

CLU looks pretty rough in some of the later scenes in that movie but there are one or two scenes where they nailed the look.

_1268122096.jpg

He looked really good there.

Drake has that Zemickis tier cg look to him with better facial animation

The Uncharted stuff was real-time? Where did it say that?

The lead fx guy and the engine programmer (Corinne Yu) at ND confirmed via twitter on multiple occasions. Multiple people weren't happy with how they responded so they responded yet again. We still have people that doubt it even though it came straight from the developers.

EDIT:

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Absolutely not true. A lot of modern CG shots have immense simulation calculations for things like hair, particles (i.e. fire, smoke), water, even animation related things for skin and muscle in some cases. Improving flesh simulation was one of my department's projects for the Hulk and Avengers for example. There was even work focused on stuff like eyelids, to make sure the pupil was properly moving against the lid if it was closed. Yeah, you may never see the effect of something that small in a given shot, especially if it was far away and not a close-up, but that's the insane level of detail places like ILM dive into.

Simulation is one of the main reasons render times are still so friggin long today.

The simulations in movies make the ones in games look pathetic. Also are you still at ILM Xia?

Tetranet

Well, Naughty Dog has Sony sponsoring them. It's not like every developer can efficiently create this kind of graphics. A lot of developers have suffered from the increase in fidelity since PS3/XBOX360/WIii. I don't think it's reasonable to believe games like this will be remotely common, not without some major innovations in techniques and tools.

So if you had no idea Legacy was a movie your first reaction to that screencap would be to call it cg?

dont_believe_you_anchorman.gif

I don't judge quality of cg by just screen caps. I judge them by seeing them in motion, in the medium they're being used in. CLU looked like a fake crap of crap in Tron Legacy. Which might've been okay if everybody else in the Tron world looked fake as well, but they didn't.

Why some people are thinking that Xbox One can't do something like Uncharted PS4? Is this because console war I guess, because both console have similar hardware.

JawzPause

I can't believe people actually buying that Uncharted is real time thing, it's not how gameplay will look, so no, we are not in CGI stage if we are basing it on Uncharted.

The Order looks great and I think its getting close sometimes to CGI territory.

UFC is not even close, i think it looks pretty average for a fighter with 2 models on stage, I don't think the order models for example look worse.

So, i think with Uncharted we don't know at this stage because it's not in game graphics so we can't base nothing on this teaser, UFC is not even close, And The Order is the closest we have ever been.
I can't wait to laugh at all the people denying that uncharted footage was real time.

SegaShack

Lets wait for these games to come out and see gameplay in action before judging any visual fidelity. Chances are things won't look as nice by release.

I think both Zelda and Uncharted are not the in game models like they say.

It depends on what characteristic specifically. Because for example we've had better texture resolution, and more detail than a lot of old CGI probably since last gen. Compare RE5 Chris Redfield to the CGI of RE2. But for example we haven't had breakthroughs in things like accurate Ray Traced lighting ( which provides accurate shadows, reflections, etc.) compared to old CGI. Volumetric particles are still not common, and neither is full flush interactive hair or cloth. Of course IQ in CGI always trumps real-time as well.

Maybe video game trailer CGI from some years ago (minus IQ, and less complex lighting, hair, particles, and any simulations), but not Hollywood CGI made to mix with real actors.

I meant as it relates to gameplay user input. For pre-rendered footage, the simulation physics are calculated once and run through. In a game, the on-the-fly rendering takes into account user input, which changes the simulation. I thought this point was implied, but I apologize if it was not clear.

Why some people are thinking that Xbox One can't do something like Uncharted PS4? Is this because console war I guess, because both console have similar hardware.

1.) A lot of the discussion here is revolving around the impression that Uncharted PS4 is way, way past what anyone thought the PS4 hardware would be capable of. Even with everyone under the sun saying this is not pre-rendered, "team cgi" keeps making excuses because it's THAT good. Nothing we know of about the PS4 up to this point says it should be putting out visuals this good, this early.

2.) The hardware isn't all that similar. They're both X86, but the PS4 is a good 50% more powerful than the Xbox is. Microsoft also doesn't really have any internal teams on the level of Naughty Dog or that ICE team that was doing ridiculous things with the PS3 hardware.

There is virtually no chance we see anything this good out of the xbox one anytime soon.

lefantome

I can pull out the naughty dog uncharted 2 trailer v actual in-game cutscenes garbage too.

Or I can pull out more Ubisoft

Or Rockstar with GTA V.

Your choice.

This is the same nonsense as the "team cgi" v "team real"

Gamers on the internet can't tell the difference between actual cgi and someone wearing a mask, let alone predict what a game still in development will looks like in 6 months.

What are you talking about?
Don't waste your time, GTA V has been out for months now, everybody knows what the game looks like.

Raonak

Banned
We're pretty much to the point, where i wouldn't be able to tell the difference. Can't say it's reached CG because it has no ceiling.

Phlebas

Banned
I can't believe people actually buying that Uncharted is real time thing, it's not how gameplay will look, so no, we are not in CGI stage if we are basing it on Uncharted.

The Order looks great and I think its getting close sometimes to CGI territory.

UFC is not even close, i think it looks pretty average for a fighter with 2 models on stage, I don't think the order models for example look worse.

So, i think with Uncharted we don't know at this stage because it's not in game graphics so we can't base nothing on this teaser, UFC is not even close, And The Order is the closest we have ever been.

Moved on from shit posting in that other thread and came here huh?

They (Naughty Dog’s Studio Coordinator Rodney Reece and Lead FX Artist Keith Guerrette) confirmed to us that the Uncharted 4 trailer showcased during Sony’s E3 2014 press conference was a part of an actual level in game. Secondly, they also confirmed that the entire trailer was running in real time on the PlayStation 4 and it was all in-engine.

Just stop.

Top Bottom