• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-gen consoles have reached CGI rendering in real time ?

You're trolling right? Tron came out 32 years ago. John Lasseter from Pixar animated his first movie in 1984, The Adventures of Andre and Wally

And I'd say depending on the game, a high end PC CAN come close to CG from 10 years ago but that's more of the game's limitation rather than the hardware limitation. Don't forget that the GPUs we're putting in our PCs are also used to create CG movies. The hardware is there, the coding and art direction is the bottleneck.
The cards might be the same, but the scale is quite incomparable.

It's like saying "Oh, my server at home can do anything any of the top 500 supercomputers can, it's got TWO Intel Xeon CPUs and runs Linux, just like the Tianhe-2".

Dire

The lead fx guy and the engine programmer (Corinne Yu) at ND confirmed via twitter on multiple occasions. Multiple people weren't happy with how they responded so they responded yet again. We still have people that doubt it even though it came straight from the developers.

EDIT:

Oddly enough nobody is asking the single most important question - how much information was precalculated prior to rendering? With a static scene, even more so with no possible interactivity you can precalculate an obscene amount. Imagine stuff like free pixel perfect lod, free pixel perfect occlusion, etc. I do believe what they're saying - that the scene was rendered in real time. They're just conveniently leaving out how much was precalculated beforehand.

This also goes a long ways towards explaining their relatively awkward phrasing of responses which make sure to avoid directly stating that this is what gameplay will look like while doing everything they can to try to imply that's what they're saying.

MilesTeg

Banned
CGI is such a fucking waste of money now that in game assets are comparable. Seriously. No one gives a shit. The average 10 year old can tell CGI from gameplay. It's useless. It doesn't add to the game whatsoever. These scenes aren't even produced with the intention of even being in the game, like they were in the PS1 days. It's entirely unnecessary. A pointless added cost for marketing purposes, when literally no one is fooled or enticed to buy product because of it. Simply a marketing relic at this point.

Look at COD. Their mass marketing is now based on live action crap. It's cheaper and possibly more effective.

theofficefan99

CGI is such a fucking waste of money now that in game assets are comparable. Seriously. No one gives a shit. The average 10 year old can tell CGI from gameplay. It's useless. It doesn't add to the game whatsoever. These scenes aren't even produced with the intention of even being in the game, like they were in the PS1 days. It's entirely unnecessary. A pointless added cost for marketing purposes, when literally no one is fooled or enticed to buy product because of it. Simply a marketing relic at this point.

Look at COD. Their mass marketing is now based on live action crap. It's cheaper and possibly more effective.

I disagree entirely. It's eye candy, everyone loves eye candy, and when it's actually used in-game, it makes a scene far more memorable.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist

The benefit of CG is that you can have it done by an outside contractor without any game assets whatsoever. Before the game is even made.

They don't compare 1:1, but I see a lot of games using techniques that are evocative of film and CG. There's a softer, less hard edged look to the visuals. It's an interesting alternative to the trend of games getting more high frequency detail across every generation. I think the average person would have a hard time telling the difference between the best real time graphics produced today and mid tier game CG from a few years back.

MilesTeg

Banned
I disagree entirely. It's eye candy, everyone loves eye candy, and when it's actually used in-game, it makes a scene far more memorable.

And how often is it used in game rather than for commercials. I loved CG in the PS1 days, and I could like it now just as well. And yet these scenes 95% of the time aren't related to in game events, in fact aren't in the game at all. That is why they suck. If youare going to bother making them, make them matter.

To me they are getting there (UC4), the IW may not be as good or the environments but... i'm quite happy with the graphics being put out by the PS4 when 1st party developers are at the helm... i'd be quite o.k with a 10 yr life span for the PS4.

Zaptruder

Banned
It's certainly pushing up against the utility that CG provides.

Under ideal circumstances, it's about 95%+ of the way there.

And it's able to achieve those ideal circumstances in an increasingly wide range of circumstances - including in animation.

In some ways current generation games have surpassed CGI from the past, but things like the lack of real time ray-tracing and overall image quality still holds real time game graphics back.

zoukka

Everyone seems to think that Order looks CGI, but I don't see it at all. The gameplay parts look jerky and very clearly videogamey. Uncharted demo on the other hand feels very close to a last gen CGI quality.

Log4Girlz

In some ways current generation games have surpassed CGI from the past, but things like the lack of real time ray-tracing and overall image quality still holds real time game graphics back.

There isn't really much CGI that uses 100% ray-tracing anyway. Everything in modern graphics, even the very best games on PC are cheating like crazy. Relatively low poly count items in the environment (oh god the leaves in the trees, the grass in the fields, hideous), horrible hair, horrible IQ, horrible shadow quality etc.

Yes and they looked marvelous, especially U2 at the time, but they didn't look light years ahead of the competition like UC4's teaser, that's the main reason why i call bullshit on that one.
There is no way a game can trump all the best looking games like that and maintain 60 FPS, it's unreal and i wont believe it until we see gameplay or i hear ND promises this is in-game graphics and this is how gameplay will look 1 to 1, not all their "in-engine real time" bullshit.

I would say that the later Uncharted games and TLOU will still compare to some games that pop up in the next few years. I think Naughty Dog will get other makers to step up after we see gameplay footage of this.

Toxa

I believe so

image_the_order_1886-27140-2752_0006.jpg

image_the_order_1886-27140-2752_0008.jpg

image_the_order_1886-27140-2752_0010.jpg

and yes U4 looks CGI to me

I believe so

and yes U4 looks CGI to me

Quite an odd thread bump, but my short answer would still be "no."

I think post processing has come a long way to approximaate stuff you saw in prerendered CGI, but particle effects and indirect lighting/ occlusion still has a long way to go

A lot comes down to image quality ad the quality of the animations. The Order and Uncharted would have been labeled CGI if they were showed it 5 years ago.
In the Order i hear things like people not believing the cutscene ended and they could actually play with that character.

I'd say yes. But there are a coule of steps to go for most devs.

Nev

Banned
The Order and AC Unity look totally like CGI to me. Not at all times though but most of the time.

Percy

Banned
Absolutely!
So long as the CGI you're referring to is stuff on the level of the FMV in FFVII anyways ;)

DieH@rd

Banned
Infamous and DriveClub have really pushed the visuals to the CGI range, and Order 1886 looks to be really insanely good looking.

Of course, new consoles still don't have enough horsepower to render all techniques that were present even in the CGI made 5 years ago, but they can create incredibly clean image that "fakes" a lot of things and create big CGI feel [especially Order].

The answer is still a resounding "no."

Doesn't it depend on what aspects he is refering to?

I mean CG from PS1 and even PS2 days looks very unimpressive visually today. I personally think the Order is the first game I have seen to emulate what I expect from CG...which is a consistency and level or detail across the visuals which makes it very convincing. I think Ryse was almost there, but this game visually to me is the defining graphical showpiece that elevates in the game in the way that Gears or Uncharted were last gen.

Zil33184

Subjectively similar or better depending on what you're comparing it to.

Obviously there will always be an objective gulf between real-time and offline rendering, and real-time rasterization still has limitations compared to what was possible offline 20 years ago.

Derp

Maybe old CGI... But no where near today's CGI. Like noooo where near. The stuff that is done with CGI today is leagues ahead of anything we'll see rendered in real time for a long long time I'm assuming.

tkscz

What year of CGI? I mean, PS2 surpassed PS1's CGI. Some late PS3 games passed PS2 CGI. As the years go by, graphics get better, in both gameplay and CGI, so it's hard to say when it's not specific.

KKRT00

Still no, we are not close to CGI from even over 10 years ago.

The Order has CGI look and feel, but its still far away from what render farms could produce years ago. I mean, You can rewatch Matrix Revolutions and compare CGI there or hell, just look what Star Wars Phantom Manace was rendering in 1999!

The Order has CGI look and feel, but its still far away from what render farms could produce years ago. I mean, You can rewatch Matrix Revolutions and compare CGI there or hell, just look what Star Wars Phantom Manace was rendering in 1999!

The CGI in those movies does not hold up today...the only advantage they have is in terms of aliasing and lighting

Scope is the thing. Even stuff like Spirits Within. The fedelity has probably been surpassed, but the scope is massive. Still, we have come a long way!

DieH@rd

Banned
The entire presentation of The Order 1866 is so spotless. They took care to not only model entire world and charachters with incredible detail, but their engine supports almost flawless asset streaming and camera transitions. Game really gives the wibe of high quality CGI production, but it is also fully playable videogame with good TPS core mechanics.

I can't believe people actually buying that Uncharted is real time thing, it's not how gameplay will look, so no, we are not in CGI stage if we are basing it on Uncharted.

The Order looks great and I think its getting close sometimes to CGI territory.

UFC is not even close, i think it looks pretty average for a fighter with 2 models on stage, I don't think the order models for example look worse.

So, i think with Uncharted we don't know at this stage because it's not in game graphics so we can't base nothing on this teaser, UFC is not even close, And The Order is the closest we have ever been.

Euh, the Uncharted trailer was indeed running in real-time. We got many confirmations for this.

LCGeek

formerly sane
The order isn't the first game to achieve this feat not even this generation. Real time gaming has been well above various forms of cgi for years, you might want to make a distinction what type of cgi considering the range of quality one can find be it gaming, tv or movies.

Shabad

Next-gen consoles produce CGI in real time. Just like the gen before. And the one before that. Just a matter of definition.

If you mean pre-rendered CGI like the one Pixar are doing in 2015, then no, we are nowhere near that. In terms of light, image quality, ... And we won't ever catch that. You will always be able to do more in pre-render than in real-time, it's just plain logic.

The question you may ask is how much real time rendering is lagging behind pre-rendered CGI.

theofficefan99

Maybe very old CGI, yeah, but otherwise, no. CGI will always be ahead.

Also, I'm sorry if I seem rude, but why do people keep referencing Uncharted 4 as an example? The initial trailer, maybe, but that gameplay demo doesn't showcase any above-average looking visuals, in my opinion. It's nice but definitely nothing close to "CGI-like."

JordanN

Banned
The anti-aliasing is pretty CG like. There are no obvious jaggies anywhere.

But the lighting isn't there. Compare all the dynamic objects and characters in The Order to the static backgrounds that were baked.

Mental Ray renders look better.
YKsKvOU.jpg

AjI4ZMa.jpg

Noobcraft

The anti-aliasing is pretty CG like. There are no obvious jaggies anywhere.

But the lighting isn't there. Compare all the dynamic objects and characters in The Order to the static backgrounds that were baked.

Mental Ray renders look better.
YKsKvOU.jpg

AjI4ZMa.jpg
Yeah, Ray Tracing is really required to get to CG levels IMO. Missing or bad reflections are everywhere in games these days.

Gurish

Euh, the Uncharted trailer was indeed running in real-time. We got many confirmations for this.
Interesting, that's why gameplay ran at 30 and didn't look half as good as that trailer? I was right in the end, U4 looks wonderful but it didn't reach its target, even with half the frames.

Oneself

Pre-baked stuff (environment lighting in The Order for example) CAN be compared to CGI since CGI is never happening in realtime.

Ishida

Banned
Interesting, that's why gameplay ran at 30 and didn't look half as good as that trailer? I was right in the end, U4 looks wonderful but it didn't reach its target, even with half the frames.

It looks just as good as in the reveal trailer, just at half the framerate.

Top Bottom