• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NextGen Wheels peripherals PS4 and Xbox One Thread: NeoGaf Wheel Club Updates in OP

amar212

So will my CSW need an update before it'll work with pCars on PS4?

It is an interesting question because Fanatec is no more developing legacy drivers and from what we learned, it seems that Fanatec wheels will not be using "PS3" (Logitech emulation) mode.

Another piece of the puzzle is that many older Fanatec models will be supported for pCARS on PS4.

From all that I can read how Fanatecs will work in their native, "PC" mode, with native Fanatec firmwares.

Will that ask for the new firmware(s), it remains to be seen.

I presume all PSTW, GT3 RS, GT2 and Elite owners will welcome a new firmware for their models if there will be any.

However, if Fanatecs will indeed work natively - in the "PC" mode - it will be tremendous advancement for wheel support on consoles in general

Mascot

I don't know what to do also.

A) build a better PC to play Pcars in it's superior version with the wheel i already have or
B) buy a better wheel so i can play Pcars on PS4 and utilize this better wheel on other racing games.

Why not both? Not enough money. I still need to buy a decent racing seat otherwise my elbows and shoulders will murder me.

This wouldn't be such an issue if i could use my G25 on PS4, but it appears that building a better PC to run Pcars seems like a better idea if i can build a decent PC here in Brazil for the cost of a Fanatec or T500RS wheel.

Decisions... decisions...

I've got a similar dilemma. Buy a PS4 for pCARS or build a gaming PC for it. I guess it'll ultimately depend how pCARS reviews, AND if it maintains a Fozaesque rock-solid 60fps on the PS4. If it doesn't then I'm going the PC route, and will builld one with VR in mind.

At least my GT2 will work with either option.

ruttyboy

I've got a similar dilemma. Buy a PS4 for pCARS or build a gaming PC for it. I guess it'll ultimately depend how pCARS reviews, AND if it maintains a Fozaesque rock-solid 60fps on the PS4. If it doesn't then I'm going the PC route, and will builld one with VR in mind.

At least my GT2 will work with either option.

I too am going the PC route as soon as it becomes clear what is needed for VR, I'd rather spend the £350+ that it would take to get a decent PS4 wheel on a VR headset and still use my perfectly capable* G27.

I can only see Morpheus being disappointing compared to it's PC equivalent, plus I'll have access to the PC library so, through mods no doubt, I might actually get a decent single player simulation racing game.

* After spanking out some laps in GT6 earlier on, the G27 still does the business, I can't see how you could appreciably improve on it without getting into silly money territory.

Mascot

* After spanking out some laps in GT6 earlier on, the G27 still does the business, I can't see how you could appreciably improve on it without getting into silly money territory.

I really liked my G27 and pedals (but not the floppy-ass shifter, no-siree) and only went the GT2 route because of cross-platforming 360 and PS3 (and later, PC).

The G27 is still a fine, fine wheel - and terrific value.

NHale

Caved in and bought a Thrustmaster T300. Previously owned a DFGT (with paddles add-on) + Wheel Stand Pro which I loved and was really satisfied with especially considering price vs quality value.

First quick impressions with Thrustmaster T300 playing F1 2013 for 1 hour: thankful that the Wheel Stand Pro works with this wheel but very disappointed with the actual product considering how expensive it is (more than a G27).

The brake pedal is very inconsistent. I knew they were bad but I wasn't expecting it to be worse than the DFGT. The feeling I have is that the response of the pedal in game is different while applying the same amount of pressure. Also the downshift paddle sometimes doesn't register when I try to downshift quickly, is it supposed to work like this? Force feedback and wheel weight are great though but as an overall experience I'm feeling that I have something broken on my pedals and downshift paddles. Maybe it can also be human problem and I have to learn how to drive with another wheel...

Does anyone know if is there any way I can test it on PC to see if everything is working like it should?

Megasoum

Banned
Caved in and bought a Thrustmaster T300. Previously owned a DFGT (with paddles add-on) + Wheel Stand Pro which I loved and was really satisfied with especially considering price vs quality value.

First quick impressions with Thrustmaster T300 playing F1 2013 for 1 hour: thankful that the Wheel Stand Pro works with this wheel but very disappointed with the actual product considering how expensive it is (more than a G27).

The brake pedal is very inconsistent. I knew they were bad but I wasn't expecting it to be worse than the DFGT. The feeling I have is that the response of the pedal in game is different while applying the same amount of pressure. Also the downshift paddle sometimes doesn't register when I try to downshift quickly, is it supposed to work like this? Force feedback and wheel weight are great though but as an overall experience I'm feeling that I have something broken on my pedals and downshift paddles. Maybe it can also be human problem and I have to learn how to drive with another wheel...

Does anyone know if is there any way I can test it on PC to see if everything is working like it should?

The wheel works on PC like every other Thrustmaster wheels so you can test it in the control panel.

Also the Cody F1 games are probably the worst game to test a modern wheel lol.

I never tried the T300 myself but the defaul rim is based on the GTE rims which is really good. You paddle may be faulty.

NHale

Thanks for the help. I will try plugging in to the PC and see it. Maybe try some Gran Turismo 6 and see if it works better.

MGR

Are there any guarantees that the Fanatec ClubSport will be compatible with all future (wheel supported) racing games on the PS4?

Picklock

Are there any guarantees that the Fanatec ClubSport will be compatible with all future (wheel supported) racing games on the PS4?

Most certainly not. Fanatec stated that the drivers are avalable to any developer working on a PS4 title, but that does nothing to guarantee the developers will actually implement said drivers into their game.

MGR

Most certainly not. Fanatec stated that the drivers are avalable to any developer working on a PS4 title, but that does nothing to guarantee the developers will actually implement said drivers into their game.

Actually thinking back, that was basically the same situation as PS3. Not every game supported every wheel. I had (have) a G25 which due to it's popularity was basically guaranteed to be supported. I feel like the only the only safe bet for PS4 owners is the T300RS and then probably the T500RS. I don't think I can justify $540 - $740 just for PS4 wheel support. I don't feel the jump in performance over a G25/27 is worth the money.

All signs really point to dumping the PS4 and investing in a decent PC as a primary gaming machine. Eliminates the risk of peripheral compatibility issues, all multiplats run better (bar a few buggy exceptions), games are cheaper, far better racing simulation game options, access to mods etc.

Shaneus

Actually thinking back, that was basically the same situation as PS3. Not every game supported every wheel. I had (have) a G25 which due to it's popularity was basically guaranteed to be supported. I feel like the only the only safe bet for PS4 owners is the T300RS and then probably the T500RS. I don't think I can justify $540 - $740 just for PS4 wheel support. I don't feel the jump in performance over a G25/27 is worth the money.
Plus, there's really only one driving game out now (and another in a few weeks) that will really warrant having a good wheel. I might buy a wheel by the time GT7 comes out (if I can still be bothered) but when there's only one or two good driving games on PS4 (and only one is exclusive) while I have countless others on PC, the platform that doesn't support the G27 is going to miss out.

Mascot

All signs really point to dumping the PS4 and investing in a decent PC as a primary gaming machine. Eliminates the risk of peripheral compatibility issues, all multiplats run better (bar a few buggy exceptions), games are cheaper, far better racing simulation game options, access to mods etc.

If it wasn't for the late announcement of Fanatec support for pCARS on the PS4 I'd definitely be building a PC for it right now. I'll still probably go that route when consumer VR eventually lands but this will be a good stop-gap in the interim.

MGR

If it wasn't for the late announcement of Fanatec support for pCARS on the PS4 I'd definitely be building a PC for it right now. I'll still probably go that route when consumer VR eventually lands but this will be a good stop-gap in the interim.

Yeah I sort of don't want to build a PC just yet either until consumer VR is a real thing.

My other option is to go all out on a ClubSport V2 which will 'future proof' my wheel needs and keep the PS4 as my stop-gap solution until I get a real PC sorted for more games, mods, Oculus VR goodness etc. I can just use my G25 pedals for now with a $5 adapter to save some cash, although the V2 base, universal hub and a GT wheel is still $1350 AUD :O

But I also feel like Fanatec are the only wheel manufacture pushing forward supporting and engaging with the sim racing community on both PC and consoles. They've been the most open and transparent during this whole new-gen console wheel compatibility saga so I'd rather give them my business than anybody else at this point.

Jilt

Is it finally happening, or am I seeing things (again :)

I was wandering over the projectcarsgame.com website. I noticed that in the bottom line Logitech was standing there, in between Thrustmaster and Fanatec. I had not noticed this before, so, went to the wayback machine (archive.org).
A screenshot from 18th of march this year is way different, only Thrustmaster there.

What do you think?

Today:
waybackmachine26-42015.jpg

18th March:
waybackmachine18maart2015.jpg

NB. Fanatec was announced on the 23rd of march 2015.

And still there is this:
checklist.jpg

Jilt

Yes there is. The Fanatec V1 & V2 clubsport base. You need to buy the XB1 adapter, and the PS4 compatibility is on a game to game basis but it will work on all 3.

True, but actually that is a no, because you need an adapter for the XBONE.
For the PS4 it is only working on PCars form now

True, but actually that is a no, because you need an adapter for the XBONE.
For the PS4 it is only working on PCars form now

The base doesn't come with a wheel. So you have to buy an adapter anyway. Buy the XB1 adapter, and put it into PC mode to play on PS4.

I was wandering over the projectcarsgame.com website. I noticed that in the bottom line Logitech was standing there, in between Thrustmaster and Fanatec. I had not noticed this before, so, went to the wayback machine (archive.org).
A screenshot from 18th of march this year is way different, only Thrustmaster there.

What do you think?

Today:

18th March:

And still there is this:
checklist.jpg

Please baby Goku, let me use my G27. I'll buy ten copies.

leeh

Is there a wheel with decent feedback what you can buy without pedals for X1? I play on my bed, so pedals aren't that suitable.

I've had a quick look but couldn't see anything.

Is there a wheel with decent feedback what you can buy without pedals for X1? I play on my bed, so pedals aren't that suitable.

I've had a quick look but couldn't see anything.

There are only 3 FFB wheels, and all of them are so big I don't know how you would operate them on your bed, let alone not using pedals. I'm sure you could always map the accelerator and brake to the paddle shifters but it wouldn't be that functional.

If space is an issue you should look into a wheel stand.

bombshell

What do you think?

Today:

18th March:

And still there is this:
checklist.jpg

[pessimism]

Project CARS supports Logitech wheels on PC, so maybe they just realised that the Logitech should be there.

:(

[/pessimism]

It's a crying shame that the one wheel you could always feel good about recommending (G27) is not supported by any of the current gen consoles.

I would buy Pcars PS4 in a second if Logitech wheels get support. Otherwise I am not spending a dime on racing games or hardware until the VR situation is resolved. I need to know when the Vive and OR come out, and which one works best with racing sims. From there, I will upgrade my PC to make sure I can hit the frame rate I want with iRacing, PCars and AC. If GT7 drops and there is no G27 support then I guess it will be the first GT game I've ever missed. I just can't help but think VR sim racing with my G27 is going to be a far more amazing experience than playing the same games with a new t500 or fanatec wheel that costs the same as a PC upgrade.

Branson

Well, I'm almost ready to push the buy button on a TX to upgrade my G25 into a newer generation of wheel and stuff. Also to get it ready to play with a future Xbone purchase. Anyone with any words of wisdom or anything against that purchase? I have a PS4 also but dont really care for Driveclub much and also sim race on PC.

amar212

I started digging more into the option of a Fantec ClubSport V2. But wow, there's a lot of disgruntled Fanatec owners out there! The V1 seems to have been a real lemon. The V2 is supposedly better but it's hard to know because I don't think there's many out there yet. But here's an example from my home country:

http://www.racedepartment.com/threads/csw-v2-base-problem.102767/

I'd be furious if I dropped $2k on this.

If it makes any difference, I have V2 and one of my friends as well, and we're both absolutely satisfied with it.

KTS2448

On the subject of having a 3 platform wheel, I came across this little device:

http://controllermax.com/cronusmax-plus/

I was thinking, If one has say a G27, Would this allow multiplatform wheel support? G27 already works on PC. supposedly this already has setup support to allow for this from googling. Has anyone here tried it out?

Top Bottom