• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nick Robinson (Polygon) answers to sexual harassment allegations, leaves Polygon

Zakalwe

Banned
(Shakes head)

Shit doesn't blow up over send nudes memes. Obviously more to it.

No, it could "just" be the harassment. A firing and this backlash for abusing his position, harassing girls, and trying to hush them about it is more than enough.

Of course it's probably worse, but let's not act like it wouldn't play out this way even if it weren't.

Honestly don't think I've ever read a more genuine public apology. No clue who this gut is but heard of the controversy prior. Good on him.

Read the breakdown in ITT, it's really not a good apology at all.

Trup1aya

Yes, but the risk is also worth it because you, you know, actually acknowledge and pay for the crime?

I get your reasoning, but unless there's a situation where children are going to legit starve or something I couldn't ever agree with it.

Does he have kids?

That risk is worth it in an ideal world... but isnt necessarily a pill people can afford to swallow in the real world.

The kids thing is just an example. The morally right thing to do is to admit guilt. But that doesn't occur in a vacuum.

Good riddance.
His apology doesn't feel genuine.

Based on what some people are saying, the specifics of this seem to be a lot worse than most seem to suspect...

He was being majorly sleazy in Twitter DMs to his female fans and other women in the industry. Asking for nudes was part of it, but it's implied that there was more and that he was persistent. More of than a few women have corroborated each others encounters with him.

There may have been more information that surfaced after the initial floodgates were opened, but I stopped following the story closely.

Zakalwe

Banned
That risk is worth it in an ideal world... but isnt necessarily a pill people can afford to swallow in the real world.

The kids thing is just an example. The morally right thing to do is to admit guilt. But that doesn't occur in a vacuum.

So he doesn't have kids?

Again, I don't really care about the consequences on his life, especially if it's worse than we know and especially if no minors are dependent on him. The victims should be thought of first, and they deserve this to play out in a way that makes them feel like they've had some kind of justice.

The guy was actually in a position to do a lot of good after the fact by owning his actions and committing to change and perhaps even looking into ways to help educate others. I think that could have made his victims feel even better than any punishment handed out by authorities, too.

He's a fucking coward for not doing this, and that doesn't sit right with me no matter how smart his lawyers are.

No, it could "just" be the harassment. A firing and this backlash for abusing his position, harassing girls, and trying to hush them about it is more than enough.

Of course it's probably worse, but let's not act like it wouldn't play out this way even if it weren't.

Read the breakdown in ITT, it's really not a good apology at all.

If he just asked for nudes the blowback would not be this bad. You'd have to think the conversations and his general behaviour had to be more extreme then

>enjoys nice convo with friendly girl
>asks for nudes
>is told no
>respectfully says he understands and gives best wishes

Like something obviously does not add up there. His apology would have been sufficient if the story was that simple.

Zakalwe

Banned
If he just asked for nudes the blowback would not be this bad. You'd have to think the conversations and his general behaviour had to be more extreme then

>enjoys nice convo with friendly girl
>asks for nudes
>is told no
>respectfully says he understands and gives best wishes

Like something obviously does not add up there. His apology would have been sufficient if the story was that simple.

He didn't just ask for nudes. I wish people would stop downplaying this by proxy. He sexually harassed people despite the fact it was obviously upsetting people and tried to hush them when they spoke back. What he did was awful, the stuff we know of by itself. and fully deserves this backlash.

BTA

It's not 0% chance, and as much as I agree he almost certainly did more there's still a chance it's not much worse than we already know. We've seen enough of these things unfold on social media to now things aren't always what they seem, on both sides.

I'm not going to argue any more in favour of this though as I don't want to be arguing in favour of a person who clearly cannot own his actions for whatever cowardly reason, and I personally think worse /did/ happen.

Sure, I understand that. I'm also aware that secrets are hard to keep, especially when things are emotionally charged like this.

As I said before, I can only hope it /is/ hearsay for the sake of the victims.

So I see where you're coming from better now; I think I misread some of your intent, sorry. That being said, my feelings on this are complicated but boil down to: this isn't happening in a vacuum.

I'm going to say that I'm not a fan of the implication of false accusations being common (if we're talking specifically about "callouts", I guess that yes, that can be messier), but I feel "things aren't always what they seem" only works if we were talking about some arbitrary situation with disconnected "accusers" and such. But that's not the case here.

There are specific people linked in this thread that have implied things are worse than the logs we've seen, including, for example, Danika Harrod, who works at Waypoint. These people have connections to other people that establish them as trustful and give me plenty of reason to believe they would definitely know what they're talking about. To imply "well, they might be lying" is at best insulting the integrity of these people who've spoken up, as well as many of the people around them, for the sake of playing devil's advocate.

Furthermore, I get the "for the sake of the victims" thing but for that to be true, people who are tied to the situation would have to be lying and that's not something I'm ok with wishing for the reasons I mention above, you know?

...in any case, I want to be clear I don't necessarily think you're disagreeing with what I'm saying either; you seem pretty aware that you don't want to defend him. Just kinda bothered by thought experiments at this point.

Trup1aya

So he doesn't have kids?

Again, I don't really care about the consequences on his life, especially if it's worse than we know and especially if no minors are dependent on him. The victims should be thought of first, and they deserve this to play out in a way that makes them feel like they've had some kind of justice.

The guy was actually in a position to do a lot of good after the fact by owning his actions and committing to change and perhaps even looking into ways to help educate others. I think that could have made his victims feel even better than any punishment handed out by authorities, too.

He's a fucking coward for not doing this, and that doesn't sit right with me no matter how smart his lawyers are.

Thats great that you don't care about his well being. It's just naive to suggest that someone would definately sacrifice there well being in exchange for possible redemption, even if they were remorseful.

He didn't just ask for nudes. I wish people would stop downplaying this by proxy. He sexually harassed people despite the fact it was obviously upsetting people and tried to hush them when they spoke back. What he did was awful, the stuff we know of by itself. and fully deserves this backlash.

I know, that's why I said "no one really believes this is over sliding into some DMs and asking for nudes" 😐 Do you even know whag you're arguing?

Zakalwe

Banned
Thats great that you don't care about his well being. It's just naive to suggest that someone would definately sacrifice there well being in exchange for possible redemption, even if they were remorseful.

People have done it before. Good people who actually gave a shit about the harm they'd done.

I know, that's why I said "no one really believes this is over sliding into some DMs and asking for nudes" �� Do you even know whag you're arguing?

No, we /know/ it's not just nudes.

He harassed girls for sex, and when they told him no he tried to hush them. He also asked for nudes.

All of this justifies the backlash alone.

Austin Walker saying he's known about this side of Nick makes me furious. I can't stomach when people know terrible things and don't act. I really wish people were stronger. But I guess that's the point. Sexual predators like Nick know who to prey on.

I'm proud that in the end, someone had the courage to step up and say NO MORE.

NichM

Banned
Austin Walker saying he's known about this side of Nick makes me furious. I can't stomach when people know terrible things and don't act. I really wish people were stronger. But I guess that's the point. Sexual predators like Nick know who to prey on.

He also said, in practically the same breath, that he was asked by Nick's targets not to say anything, and that he felt it important to respect their wishes.

I wouldnt single out Austin since it does seem Nick being a dirt bag was a widely known thing for a long time judging by just about everyone on twitter going "yeah... we knew." or "yeah. we heard this too" or "yeah. I knew someone he tried this with".

Speaks to larger failings in the industry / at Polygon more then anything. Makes you wonder what other bullshit people are trying to keep under the rug about well known industry person X that could spew out at any moment.

He also said, in practically the same breath, that he was asked by Nick's targets not to say anything, and that he felt it important to respect their wishes.

This. Outing victims when they don't want to be outed is pretty much a bad thing all the time.

BTA

I get your feelings but direct your fury at who actually deserves it: Nick. People respecting the wishes of their friends, the victims, by not saying more is in no way cowardice. It's them being a good, trustworthy person. It is good to respect the wishes of the victim over giving into your own anger and feelings over a situation that does not directly involve you.

I will also add that a lot of the people who spoke up initially are actually Austin's friends too, so.

I know, but man, that's someone's daughter, sister, possibly mother. I guess that's why my wife doesn't tell me everything about her family, because I've lost my cool at them in the past and have cut off family members.

I know I lack the shades of gray in lots of things. When it comes to disrespect and hate speech, my blood boils.

I hear ya guys. Austin is dope people.

This subject just hits me and gets me mad. Being a father of a beautiful girl scares me to the reality of this world.

I hear ya guys. Austin is dope people.

This subject just hits me and gets me mad. Being a father of a beautiful girl scares me to the reality of this world.

Frankly, I'd be terrified. My wife and I are adopting and while the world is a much better place for women now than it used to be, it's still fucking awful.

Zakalwe

Banned
To be fair, it could have just been rumours about how he's kind of a sleaze who hits on a lot of girls. Maybe he knew about this 'side' of him but didn't know how far it went?

To be fair, it could have just been rumours about how he's kind of a sleaze who hits on a lot of girls. Maybe he knew about this 'side' of him but didn't know how far it went?

He said that victims had confided in him on Monday's podcast, while also saying that these victims very specifically stated they didn't want him to confront Nick or make it public.

They could've been scared about repercussions. They could've just thought theirs was an isolated incident. They could've just wanted to put it behind them to never have to worry about it again. The reasons don't really matter. Austin was told by them not to go forward with their statements. So he didn't. And I'm sure that he hates that he couldn't or didn't, but he also knows that it really wasn't his choice to make.

I know, but man, that's someone's daughter, sister, possibly mother. I guess that's why my wife doesn't tell me everything about her family, because I've lost my cool at them in the past and have cut off family members.

I know I lack the shades of gray in lots of things. When it comes to disrespect and hate speech, my blood boils.

Gonna have to learn gray man. You don't want to be the one that talks and next thing you know that person is in a hospital pissed you couldn't shut up. You gotta respect the victims wishes even if you don't agree.

I will say this is a major failing of society where we put it on the victim to make these kinds of choices.

BTA

In any case, looks like both Austin and Patrick weren't on today's Waypoint Radio, so I'm guessing we won't hear about that article till Monday?

Gonna have to learn gray man. You don't want to be the one that talks and next thing you know that person is in a hospital pissed you couldn't shut up. You gotta respect the victims wishes even if you don't agree.

I will say this is a major failing of society where we put it on the victim to make these kinds of choices.
This. Or how victims have to worry about being attacked (social media) for claiming abuse or harassment.

Seregil

This. Outing victims when they don't want to be outed is pretty much a bad thing all the time.

So there is no way to let people at Polygon know about Nick's behavior without revealing who the victims are? I brought this up earlier, but isn't a part of their job protecting the identity of people who don't want to be revealed? They can protect their sources when revealing the next big scoop on video games but can't when reporting privately to another journalist organization about sexual harassment? Especially someone who is a repeat offender and not doing anything is putting more women at risk?

I haven't listened to what Austin had to say, so maybe after listening it will make more sense after listening to it, but protecting victims seems like a hollow excuse. Maybe they did more and can't say due to legal implications I don't know.

Squire

Banned
I wouldnt single out Austin since it does seem Nick being a dirt bag was a widely known thing for a long time judging by just about everyone on twitter going "yeah... we knew." or "yeah. we heard this too" or "yeah. I knew someone he tried this with".

Speaks to larger failings in the industry / at Polygon more then anything. Makes you wonder what other bullshit people are trying to keep under the rug about well known industry person X that could spew out at any moment.

Some of you guys are really suffering from tunnel vision with this idea that people are weak or that groups are working to sweep this stuff under the rug.

Again: These are real lives of real people being affected here. You don't get to just be the hero and bring these things to light. It might seem like the right thing to do, but it's incredibly short-sighted. Austin, the staff at Polygon, and anyone else that knew about this stuff had to tread lightly and still does because acting brashly can make things exponentially worse.

And like, aside from that, these are not their stories to tell. Believe or not, that is actually a good enough reason on its own to say nothing at all in public.

BTA

So there is no way to let people at Polygon know about Nick's behavior without revealing who the victims are? I brought this up earlier, but isn't a part of their job protecting the identity of people who don't want to be revealed? They can protect their sources when revealing the next big scoop on video games but can't when reporting privately to another journalist organization about sexual harassment? Especially someone who is a repeat offender and not doing anything is putting more women at risk?

I haven't listened to what Austin had to say, so maybe after listening it will make more sense after listening to it, but protecting victims seems like a hollow excuse. Maybe they did more and can't say due to legal implications I don't know.

I get your feelings but my response to your post yesterday (not sure if you saw) still works as a response here, I feel.

EDIT: Agreed with everything Squire just said.

Zakalwe

Banned
He said that victims had confided in him on Monday's podcast, while also saying that these victims very specifically stated they didn't want him to confront Nick or make it public.

They could've been scared about repercussions. They could've just thought theirs was an isolated incident. They could've just wanted to put it behind them to never have to worry about it again. The reasons don't really matter. Austin was told by them not to go forward with their statements. So he didn't. And I'm sure that he hates that he couldn't or didn't, but he also knows that it really wasn't his choice to make.

Yeh, I mean it's almost certainly this. Especially in the culture we live in that makes it horrible for victims to come forward.

I'm really just hoping it isn't worse. Sexual assault is fucking horrible. My own life has been affected by it and I know plenty of others in the same position.

I'm sorry if it sounded like I was coming down on Austin. I got hot. I cooled down and do "get it."

I just don't think I could be as good of a friend as him. If anything, I feel lesser than him. Must have taken more to not say or do something.

So this gets complicated. Ultimately, Austin wasn't given the victims consent to move forward with a story at the time. You don't make a move any further for a whole bunch of reasons, but the number 1 is always consent.

Legal implications are murky, but I'll try to lay it out in the following hypothetical:

Waypoint puts together a story on this with anonymous sourcing before the outing happened. Nick could have sue for defamation and those sources would probably be made public during the discovery process. Plus these victims, if lawsuit went to trial, would likely also be compelled to testify. Character evidence gets thrown about to try to discredit these persons, in addition to all the potential doxing these victims would have to deal with.

Even further exacerbating the problem isn't the idea of sourcing with anon victims pre-outing is that there is a distinct possibility that many of these people just did not want to deal with this any more. It wouldn't be a matter of them getting harassed as anonymous sources, it'd be a matter of getting them on the record to speak in the first place. I've had plenty of friends who've dealt with shit like this (or in some cases, stuff worse than this) who don't want to re-live the whole thing again, don't want to continue dealing with it, and don't want to deal with it defining them.

There's a whole host of reasons why someone may have talked to Austin about this, but we don't know what those reasons are, and, ultimately, unless Austin was given consent to speak further about it, those reasons don't really matter.

We're only possibly getting a story out of Waypoint now because: A) the outing has already happened; B) some of the victims have had a change of heart re: consent; and C) Nick's grounds for suing Waypoint for defamation are significantly weaker.

I missed most of this situation. Is there a post or source somewhere that has everything? All the allegations, the confirmations by official sources, the photos of the evidence that were revealed, etc. I'm having a hard time finding all of this stuff.

Except he did not acknowledge his wrongdoing of serially harassing women without their consent. He only acknowledge the lesser, bullshit charge of being bad at 'flirting'.

I have to agree with this. It seems like he's downplaying what he did, which makes it hard to believe the sincerity.

NinjaBoiX

If your trying to "flirt" with every woman you meet, you have a problem.

Edit: Sorry, I should have said woman instead of girls.
eyeroll.gif

EDIT: Ah fuck, never mind. Turns out he's done far worse than what I originally thought.

I don't think Nick can redeem himself after all this. He fucked up too many times and what he did was repulsive and inexcusable.

Seregil

So this gets complicated. Ultimately, Austin wasn't given the victims consent to move forward with a story at the time. You don't make a move any further for a whole bunch of reasons, but the number 1 is always consent.

Legal implications are murky, but I'll try to lay it out in the following hypothetical:

Waypoint puts together a story on this with anonymous sourcing before the outing happened. Nick could have sue for defamation and those sources would probably be made public during the discovery process. Plus these victims, if lawsuit went to trial, would likely also be compelled to testify. Character evidence gets thrown about to try to discredit these persons, in addition to all the potential doxing these victims would have to deal with.

Even further exacerbating the problem isn't the idea of sourcing with anon victims pre-outing is that there is a distinct possibility that many of these people just did not want to deal with this any more. It wouldn't be a matter of them getting harassed as anonymous sources, it'd be a matter of getting them on the record to speak in the first place. I've had plenty of friends who've dealt with shit like this (or in some cases, stuff worse than this) who don't want to re-live the whole thing again, don't want to continue dealing with it, and don't want to deal with it defining them.

There's a whole host of reasons why someone may have talked to Austin about this, but we don't know what those reasons are, and, ultimately, unless Austin was given consent to speak further about it, those reasons don't really matter.

We're only possibly getting a story out of Waypoint now because: A) the outing has already happened; B) some of the victims have had a change of heart re: consent; and C) Nick's grounds for suing Waypoint for defamation are significantly weaker.

Thanks for the detailed reply. I guess some of my question was more about handling this privately. They don't have to write a public story about this, just let Polygon know they have a potential problem and let them decide what to do with it. Especially since it seemed to already be insider info to a lot of people, just not anybody who could do something about it. Its my understanding that employers can fire employees for any reason or no reason at all and wouldn't have to reveal anything to get rid of Nick (of course I'm probably mistaken on this, but I hear similar things fairly often). Maybe this all went down the way it has to and it is better that it all blew up publicly rather than Polygon taking care of it internally a while ago and not commenting on why Nick was let go.

I guess my problem with this is it seems like the correct thing to do when confronted with sexual harassers is "nothing" and it seems like we could do better. Of course, people should support victims and help them the best that they can, but it seems frustrating that has to come with the cost of letting sexual harassment go, especially in this case where it seems people knew of continuous harassment against multiple people for years.

firehawk12

Subete no aware

The thing is that this all happened because of someone responding to a tweet essentially an accusation and it all unraveled.

I think that's why people compare this to the Cosby case, because it was something that was widely known and just came out because someone completely unconnected to anyone involved decided to make a comment about it.

Can you clarify your question? Maybe you don't know what an echo chamber is...

They're asking you what your excuse is for having stunted growth, since you haven't been living in an echo chamber.

I always find these echo chamber comments especially silly since I doubt people often change their opinion even when they're exposed more frequently to conflicting view points. If you are an unemotional it's easy to reduce this situation to being perfectly legal and so this "apology" is sufficient (or more than was required I guess).

As someone who knows women, I would be extremely unsatisfied if they had been harassed like this, had the courage to finally speak out, and then receive a message which offers no apology and marginalizes any suffering they went through. Are people putting themselves in the victims shoes and saying "Nah, I wouldn't have been that offended. I could've just moved on"? I just imagine if my mother/sister/wife/friend it provides much better perspective.

Squire

Banned
The thing is that this all happened because of someone responding to a tweet essentially an accusation and it all unraveled.

I think that's why people compare this to the Cosby case, because it was something that was widely known and just came out because someone completely unconnected to anyone involved decided to make a comment about it.

Just for the sake of accuracy, Sidney Fussel is definitely friends with Gita Jackson and probably other people affected by this by extension. This is much more closely knit than the Cosby situation.

His response is exceptionally weak, and shows he does not truly understand the harm of his actions.

Here's his response, and my thoughts on it. I had to run it through OCR software, so if you notice a correction, please let me know.

So, here's how he starts:

This statement is one-sentence old, and is already off to a poor start. He is not apologizing here, he is explaining. He's writing this statement to his fans, and the online community -- but not to those people his actions truely harmed. He's not writing to his victims.

With this, he is downplaying his actions -- by labeling them as 'flirting', and not what they were -- harassment.

There's an important aspect of flirting that distinguishes it from harassment -- choice. The entire technique of flirting is based off choice. A flirty statement has plausible deniability -- the person being flirted on has the ability to read and respond to the statement either in a romantic/salacious way, or a platonic way -- they have the choice.

'You have beautiful eyes' is a stereotypical flirty statement. It can be read either as a minorly romantic way, or as a bland complement. If the person receiving that complement is interested in flirting, they will read the statement more salaciously -- and will respond in a way to further the salacious conversation. If they are not interested, they will respond to it as a platonic statement, or not respond at all. The person being flirted on has the choice on how to interpret the statement, how to respond, and how to drive the conversation -- either in a platonic way, or a romantic way. It's a two-player game -- and that's the beauty of flirting, that it is a consentual and collaborative exercise between two people.

If the person being flirted on rejects the salacious interpretation, the person doing the flirting has not suffered great harm -- they can fall back on the belief the person either did not understand the attempt at flirting, or otherwise was not interested -- but it does not harm their platonic relationship. The person who received the unwanted flirt can either believe that they mis-read a platonic statement as flirtatious, or that they successfully pushed back and kept the relationship platonic. Both parties have an face-saving exit path from a flirty conversation.

Harassment removes the other person's choice, their agency. They do not have the choice of reading the statement as platonic, or the choice of keeping the relationship and conversation platonic. They have been forced into an uncomfortable situation where the other person unquestionably attempted to make their platonic conversation/relationship into a romantic/sexual one. They have no agency in steering the conversation, that choice was not given to them.

'Send nudes' is not flirting, it is harassment -- there is no possible platonic reading of that message. If you receive that, you cannot walk back the conversation/relationship. The line has been crossed without consent.

Here he is clearly not understanding the true cause of harm in his actions. The base harm was not caused by the power dynamic -- that was just a catalyst. The true harm was with the barnstorming of 'show me your tits' -- the actual harassment he engaged in.

Catcalling a stranger on the street is wrong if you're John Q. Public, or if you're the Pope. The power dynamic here just made the actual harassment worse, it's not the base harm here.

It's clear he does not understand the issue here.

The problem is that he thinks harassment is flirting, not that he doesn't get the hint.

He has not apologized to his victims, and is straight-up minimizing the harm by his harassment. 'Hey, want to go grab dinner sometime?' is an advance, 'Wanna blow me?' is harassment, plain and simple.

As long as his behavior is continuing to think harassment is flirting, and he refuses to acknowledge his harassment and apologize to his victims, he deserves no place in the gaming industry and community.

This post is old, but really good

These too

Just asking for nudes is putting pressure on vulnerable people (other women in games journalism and fans). Nick was in a place of some power and was asking fans (in one known case) for nude pictures. Nick had power over his fans and was actively trying to use it to sate his own desires. He didn't have to actuvely threaten them either, the threat existed silently already. If these women spoke out against it or told him to leave them alone, they could have been negatively affected in the industry by him, or at least feared this was a possibility. Similarly, him creeping on fans is gross because of similar power dynamics.

My point about sexual harrassment online and groping is more about the mental and emotional pain and distress it causes. The damage they cause on the victim are the same in most cases and to hand wave it away as a friendly or benign behavior is disgusting.

Polygon did fire him and I am glad. I mostly just don't like them showing any positivity towards him. What he did is very bad, if anyone should be putting their foot down and telling everyone the gravity of the situation, its those in authority. To see them wish him the best is opening the door for people to let Nick's actions slide, and I don't like that at all.

I agree with your thinking, but if you're going to make an apology without accepting responsibility for what you actually did, it's not an apology, it's a selfish attempt to protect your reputation.

Edit: this is emphasised by the fact that he is addressing his fan-base, not the people he has wronged.

And this

Okay, having read through this thread and the tweets linked, I want to try breaking down the apology. Hopefully this will help anyone who - like me - actually bought it on a first glance.

By the third word, we've got some deceptive language here. "Messed up" makes it sound like he made a mistake. This would be nitpicking if not for the fact that that that's clearly how the apology is framed.

Even if we put the severity of what he did aside, Robinson did not make a simple mistake. We know from souIspear's tweets that he was silencing women that he harassed. He knew that what he did was wrong, and that there would be consequences if they became public. Instead of changing his behaviour when he realized that, he instead tried to manipulate others so he could more safely continue his behaviour.

He did not make mistakes. He acted exactly as he intended to.

Here we have him referring to his harassment as flirting. Now, it's entirely possible that he's doing that to avoid legal action. But it's also being used to add to the framework that what he did was an innocent mistake rather than intentional, targeted abuse. See below.

Assuming he was doing the same thing before he became popular as he says, he's was still telling women, unsolicited, to send him nudes. He was still telling them to keep silent.

He briefly admonishes his actions before he was popular by saying that some of the advances were unwanted or handled poorly, but that's not the issue. This wasn't just normal flirting that some people just didn't like. This wasn't just handled poorly, as his actions make it clear it's delibrate. The advances should not have come in this form at all.

Additionally, he's focusing on Twitter, as if the issue is simply that he doesn't know how to handle himself properly through that particular medium. But we're also told that he engages in predatory behaviour in person.

The issues with power he describes are in and of themselves fair, but the issue is that they're meant to distract from the predatory nature of his behaviour and shift the issue to changing context. They might still be there if the apology was genuine, but that's not what they follow, so it serves to provide enough sincerity to make it look like the whole thing is sincere.

Building on the image he's been creating, this is attempting to move the responsibility to the shifting context and make the apology seem genuine.

This might have been appropriate in an apology if his actions were okay in the previous context, but they aren't. This might have been appropriate in an apology if he actually didn't know what he was doing, but his actions have demonstrated that he did.

This is the really grand bit of manipulation. The obvious bad apologies fail because the guilty party is blatantly just saying things to get themselves out of blame, maybe slapping some token "I'm sorry" and "I feel bad" into it because they know they're supposed to. This doesn't look like that. I think this is the part that really fooled me and others.

The thing is, here, he makes it a point to establish that he's actually learned something. He makes it a point to acknowledge that there's a problem with what he did. The issue is that the problem he's acknowledging still isn't the real problem. He's still putting it on the context, not on his intentional predatory behaviour.

So you think he's learned, but he hasn't actually addressed what he should have learned.

For those of us who thought it was a strong apology at first, I think what we expected it to be - at best - was this. Just talking about how bad he feels without actually having any reflection on his problems, never outright stating what he did and why it was wrong.

Robinson's crafty enough to be specific here and to say that he made a mistake. It's specific enough to look genuine, to look like it isn't deflecting. But, again, what he's apologizing for isn't really what he did. That's the deflection.

Top Bottom