• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Forces NES/Famicom Visual Compendium Kickstarter To Change Name

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Well, was this book suppose to be only pictures or documentary text as well? Would not documentary's be considered fair use and thus legal for sale?
Each page would've had info about the game & a paragraph or two talking about it, along with interviews, fan art, & developer profiles, plus a few other things like going into unreleased and homebrew games.

It's a shitty thing for Nintendo to do. I would really like to know if they had tried to contact Nintendo since they have had multiple different kickstarters for other companies and have worked with other companies. I would be more shocked if they didn't contact Nintendo.

Sure, but they're still not wrong to do this. Actually it's pretty surprising these guys tried to move forward with the project if they hadn't actually developed any kind of working relationship with Nintendo. They're one of the harsher defenders of their IPs.

These are pointless. At what point is a random person going to want to sit on your couch and look at super famicom boxes or nes screenshots? It just seems like people too separate to wear "gamer" on their sleeve. Or people who are into retro games to show off their collections and never play anything.
Get the hell over yourself.

I mean, this really looked like "NES Screenshots: The Book" and I'm surprised it made it this far

The copyright claim makes it pretty darn clear

No. These guys make some of the best gaming art books out there. This isn't NES Screenshots: The Book.

These are pointless. At what point is a random person going to want to sit on your couch and look at super famicom boxes or nes screenshots? It just seems like people too separate to wear "gamer" on their sleeve. Or people who are into retro games to show off their collections and never play anything.

Man, this thread. Grow up.

How do you love Nintendo so much that you want to put blood and sweat into a physical book like this, yet perhaps are not aware of Nintendo rather zealous defence of their IP? There may be worse offenders, but more than any other company I know it seems Nintendo will get even fan projects shut down, video game or otherwise. I'm not saying they are not within their rights, they are, just that if you were such a Nintendo fan as to want to make a book, surely you would know such an effort would almost certainly meet this type of end.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Don't see how kickstarters like this can be put up knowing there are IP legal lawsuits just waiting to take place. These guys should have known that Nintendo would never let that slide

Is the art actually from the games or are they from unofficial emulators

Thats not an or ? An emulator is a method for running software on a different platform than its intended too. Judging by the image quality they are photos from the games running on unofficial emulators.

It's weird that they didn't seek approval before kickstarting the project. And if they did and it got rejected and they still went ahead with it that's awfully bold.

I bought that big mega drive/genesis hardcover book and something similar to that for the NES would have been awesome, but it's also asking for trouble without the proper approval.

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.

That's fine if it's not for you however to call it / them pointless is a bit much.

Maybe the wrong kind of randoms sit on your couch...

The thing is Nintendo has a huge history of shutting down fan projects, no matter what they are. This comes as no surprise.

They tend to go mostly for the ones that try to make a profit. Like this one.

There are free not-for-profit fanprojects like Zelda Classic that are still alive and kicking despite letting you basically play NES Zelda 1 for free (and hundreds of free fanmade Zelda games, some that would rival Nintendo's own).
I've made 3D fangames myself based on their IP and they've never come after me. I never tried to monetize any of them, not even with ads.

IMO: If you try to monetize something that clearly doesn't belong to you, you deserve every bit of punishment you get, and you should consider yourself lucky if all you get off with is a C&D notice.

playXray

Glad they waited until the FINAL day of the kickstarter instead of....ya know, close to when it started or got funded.

This is the FOURTH visual compendium book they took to Kickstarter (ZX Spectrum, Amiga, & Commodore), not to mention they have that Super Famicom Box Art Collection book (though that was taken down by Kickstarter, but they found a publisher). A shame this happened, especially when it was so close to being funded (it almost had 24 hours left when this happened).

Not to mention those Hardcore Gaming 101 books, only Konami went after them & all it resulted in was putting "unofficial & unauthorized" on the cover, so maybe something among those lines will happen here.

I find it weird that this got so far, and the day after a Reddit post appeared (with a bunch of people complaining about copyright in the comments) it gets shut down:

https://m.reddit.com/r/nintendo/comments/4qe7rj/nes_visual_compendium/

Sam Dyer says:
Hi
Nintendo have filed a copyright claim against the campaign. I have taken lots of legal advice prior to launching the campaign plus I also spoke to Nintendo UK. The use of game imagery is completely legal under FAIR USE' law.
I have now made some little tweaks to the campaign to make it even more watertight but I wholeheartedly believe that the book is 100% above board.
WHAT HAPPENS NOW
Don't panic! The campaign is under review whilst I talk to Nintendo. Your pledge is safe and in the unlikely case I'm unsuccessful, it will go right back to you as it would with any stopped campaign. There's no need to panic and cancel your funding as your money is not at risk.
The campaign is essentially 'frozen' as is the timer. So fingers crossed when we're live again, the clock will start from with 24 hours left and we can complete the campaign.
The whole thing is frustrating but please stick with me. I've invested a lot of time and energy ensuring that this is legal and above board.
Will update you when I have some news.
Sam

Not surprised Nintendo acted, actually assumed if the campaign was allowed to continue this long all was somehow okay with the legal aspects. That'll teach me.

Sam's update is at least a bit encouraging, I hope there's still some way to make the project a reality as it looks like it could be really special.

If anything the success of the campaign, and the many other comprehensive unofficial publications, demonstrates there is an appetite for this sort of celebratory look at past systems and their software.

00ich

I mean, this really looked like "NES Screenshots: The Book" and I'm surprised it made it this far

The copyright claim makes it pretty darn clear

Even if these were screenshots. How is that any different from someone on youtube making money with a let's play?
These could literally be screenshots from a let's play together with the comment as text.

Even if these were screenshots. How is that any different from someone on youtube making money with a let's play?
These could literally be screenshots from a let's play together with the comment as text.

if you make a book with nothing but screenshots of movies, you'll get shutdown too. The key is that this is a pro-profit project. The fact it took Nintendo this long to act is surprising.

Hesh

The exchange of money is likely the major red flag for Nintendo regarding this project. If they just made a website to host the "visual compendium" then they probably wouldn't have any issues with Nintendo sending them a cease & desist. Selling a product using someone else' intellectual property without their permission is a serious no-no, though. As soon as they were told "no" from Nintendo in the incubation stage of this project they should have gone back to the drawing board to think of a different approach they could legally do to still do their dream project even if they didn't have Nintendo's approval or support. Unfortunately Nintendo is really anal-retentive with their copyrights so I think the best option for this project would have been a Youtube series, but the use of any Nintendo visual I.P. would have gotten their videos deep-sixed. It really is a shitty situation where if fans want visual tributes or compendiums or retrospectives on Nintendo properties then they have to just hope that Nintendo does it themselves since they won't partner with anyone else to do them.

cireza

I was already saying that they were going to need rights to use screens for every single game they wanted to show. Obviously they did not even bother about asking for those. Predictable.

groansey

What I don't understand is why it's ok for other recent books of this type, and magazines, to feature screenshots, yet Nintendo is getting antsy about this one?

I feel like it probably does fall under fair use but Nintendo being Nintendo will derail it anyway.

Nintendo are the worst right now. Maybe put those lawyers fees into game development. Star Fox Zero says hi.

@MUWANdo

Banned
Nintendo's not just bothered by the screenshots, they're also bothered by them using logos that are extremely reminiscent of the Nintendo Seal of Quality, for example.

One obvious issue with this project is that the percentage of editorial content vs. "here's a photo/screengrab of a thing" isn't very high.

Stiler

The exchange of money is likely the major red flag for Nintendo regarding this project. If they just made a website to host the "visual compendium" then they probably wouldn't have any issues with Nintendo sending them a cease & desist. Selling a product using someone else' intellectual property without their permission is a serious no-no, though. As soon as they were told "no" from Nintendo in the incubation stage of this project they should have gone back to the drawing board to think of a different approach they could legally do to still do their dream project even if they didn't have Nintendo's approval or support. Unfortunately Nintendo is really anal-retentive with their copyrights so I think the best option for this project would have been a Youtube series, but the use of any Nintendo visual I.P. would have gotten their videos deep-sixed. It really is a shitty situation where if fans want visual tributes or compendiums or retrospectives on Nintendo properties then they have to just hope that Nintendo does it themselves since they won't partner with anyone else to do them.

You do not need permission under fair use (and this is something that's really eroding creativity these days, so many people say "ask permission or don't use it," even scholars/museums have started doing this) .

If you are making something for historical or educational purposes and you are using literally snippits (A screengrab from an entire game is clearly a very tiny snippit, like taking a frame from a movie) it should clearly fall well within fair use.

This includes for commerical sale. How do you think reviewers make money? Take someone like Cinemassacre (Angry Video game nerd) he makes money from reviewing games and movies and clearly uses them in his videos. Same principal applies, as long as you are using a snippit and not showing the entire thing, and you're providing commentary or eductation on the work it usually falls within fair use.

PtM

Banned
You do not need permission under fair use (and this is something that's really eroding creativity these days, so many people say "ask permission or don't use it," even scholars/museums have started doing this) .

If you are making something for historical or educational purposes and you are using literally snippits (A screengrab from an entire game is clearly a very tiny snippit, like taking a frame from a movie) it should clearly fall well within fair use.

This includes for commerical sale. How do you think reviewers make money? Take someone like Cinemassacre (Angry Video game nerd) he makes money from reviewing games and movies and clearly uses them in his videos. Same principal applies, as long as you are using a snippit and not showing the entire thing, and you're providing commentary or eductation on the work it usually falls within fair use.
This is where this project might fall short.

cappie88

I'm sorry, but didn't Sony vs Bleem (2000) established that the use of screenshots falls into fair use, even when that was both commercial and hostile?

groansey

The magazine Retrogamer in the UK does this all the time.

I imagine the issue here is the slick presentation and financial success of the project. Once the 'similar' seal of approval is removed there should be no legal grounding for Nintendo whatsoever.

It's one screenshot blown up across a two-page spread for goodness sake.

And there is editorial content. A paragraph or two on each game featured.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
I'm confident it'll get resolved and the major issue is the Nintendo Seal. They'll probably remove that and slap on a "Unofficial & Unauthorized". This type of book really isn't different from many similar books which have seen the light of day.

Repeating this for those who missed it:

Sam Dyer says:

Hi

Nintendo have filed a copyright claim against the campaign. I have taken lots of legal advice prior to launching the campaign plus I also spoke to Nintendo UK. The use of game imagery is completely legal under FAIR USE' law.

I have now made some little tweaks to the campaign to make it even more watertight but I wholeheartedly believe that the book is 100% above board.

WHAT HAPPENS NOW
Don't panic! The campaign is under review whilst I talk to Nintendo. Your pledge is safe and in the unlikely case I'm unsuccessful, it will go right back to you as it would with any stopped campaign. There's no need to panic and cancel your funding as your money is not at risk.

The campaign is essentially 'frozen' as is the timer. So fingers crossed when we're live again, the clock will start from with 24 hours left and we can complete the campaign.

The whole thing is frustrating but please stick with me. I've invested a lot of time and energy ensuring that this is legal and above board.

Will update you when I have some news.

Sam

That's a shame. I got their Super Famicom Box Art Visual Collection book and it's fantastic. Wonder why Nintendo didn't shut that down too.

i-Jest

Well I'm not surprised at this. I am however surprised and grateful A Fox In Space has gone on for as long as it has. The same can be said about the Mother 4 fan project.

_Ryo_

Each page would've had info about the game & a paragraph or two talking about it, along with interviews, fan art, & developer profiles, plus a few other things like going into unreleased and homebrew games.

If that is the case, wouldn't that mean there is precedet for this type of book to exist under fair use and make Nintendo technically in the wrong for shutting it down?

If that is the case, wouldn't that mean there is precedet for this type of book to exist under fair use and make Nintendo technically in the wrong for shutting it down?

If the book was more about the "interviews, ... and developer profiles" then it would've been fine. Then they chose to make it, IIRC, "primarily visual" and use basically 1:1 enlarged screengrabs from games to fill nearly every single page. Including fan art as part of a for-sale project is probably a dangerous choice too, from a legal perspective.

COOLSKELETON95

Neo Member
It's a shame - I got the Amiga Commpendium and it was a really nicely put-together book, but I suppose given that Nintendo are still operating, it would have been a better idea to get authorisation beforehand. So I guess it's a shame but not a huge surprise.

Durock

I can't really blame Nintendo for doing what they did, but waiting until the day before the Kickstarter closes is a bit harsh. They should have shut it down much earlier.

LordRaptor

This includes for commerical sale.

The_Avengers_-_EMH.jpg

Put that on a T-shirt and start selling it, and go ahead and see how far "Fair use" gets you.

I'm surprised that they didn't go after Pat The NES Punk's ultimate Nintendo Guide in the same manor, which was also a Kickstarter book.

Maybe Bitmap Books could just remove all the Nintendo IP's and just make the book about third party NES games? Perhaps even dedicate a section to Tengen games.

ramparter

Banned
Saw it coming.

What always does surprise me though is how people think they can kick start projects like this in the first place without the owners permission. I know some don't care but... most seem to.
I was wondering the same thing but didnt brought it up in the ks topic because people acted like it was normal.

I'm surprised that they didn't go after Pat The NES Punk's ultimate Nintendo Guide in the same manor, which was also a Kickstarter book.

Maybe Bitmap Books could just remove all the Nintendo IP's and just make the book about third party NES games? Perhaps even dedicate a section to Tengen games.

Considering the likely culprit, I don't think Pat had a parody seal of quality for effect in his book.

Top Bottom