• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo NX rumored to use Nvidia's Pascal GPU architecture

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neoxon

How is 540p higher than you'd expect? What were people expecting? It's not 2011 anymore. I could read it as "expect" for sub-HD, "hope" for 1080p, and it actually being 720p.

I'd still be fine with 540p, though.
540p was higher than the expected 480p at the time that Matt made that post.

How is 540p higher than you'd expect? What were people expecting? It's not 2011 anymore. I could read it as "expect" for sub-HD, "hope" for 1080p, and it actually being 720p.

480p is what a lot of people (myself included) were expecting because it's Nintendo.

The context for Matt's post was a thread where many people were expecting 480p out of a Nintendo handheld, and some were hoping for 720p.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
You know you will end up hyped and then that hype will describe the same line the Nintendo stock is looking like in the last few weeks.

NateDrake must be kinda shitting itself with the huge amount of relevance his leak took so fast. Hope you are ok buddy.
I'll still buy it because it'll be the only way I can play Nintendo games but fuck getting hyped for a powerful hybrid handheld. I refuse. Lol at your stock joke though.

Fat Goron

gamefreak be like

snow-white-run-away.gif

Scrawnton

Yes, we would, but we don't really represent the majority. The way that western publishers see it, their games sell like shit on Nintendo platforms, so they don't think they should bother.

For the record, I could care less if western publishers show up or not. 3ds is basically a Japanese machine and it has more than I can handle.

Yes, we would, but we don't really represent the majority. The way that western publishers see it, their games sell like shit on Nintendo platforms, so they don't think they should bother.

I think the same.

I forgot about multiplats in Nintendo consoles 10 years ago with the arrival of Wii.

To me, Nintendo consoles right now are the platforms to play the best first-party exclusives and some amazing second/third-party eclusive games.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
this is good

this is very very good

NX already sounds more enticing, hardware-wise, than both the 3DS and Wii U

bring it on

True - 3DS and WiiU were really hampered by being successors to DS and Wii with Nintendo wanting to keep similar hardware architecture. This sounds finally like a device designed for the future and not for the past like they did before.

Hope the Pascal Tegra news is true...this would be big.

That information might not be available to development partners yet, where these leaks are coming from. I'm betting only people at NCL know about those features (eye tracking please)

Yeah LCGeek being excited about this has me optimistic- they are one of the few "leakers" I actually trust pretty readily since they are very open about explaining leaks and statements, rather than just giving vague clues.

Where's lcgeeks post at? I remember him? her? saying that they weren't too happy with it from a PC perspective a couple months ago.

KAL2006

Banned
If they go with Pascal the delayed E3 makes sense

There was something fishy about their E3. All that floor space and only Zelda.

The change in using Pascal could have perhaps changed their plans to have a better reveal touting the hardware as well as having time to make their games look better and make use of the new silicon for a better unveiling.

daxgame

I know I'm alone in this, but all I hope is that the price is 249$ or less and that the battery is good. Anything from Vita-level of power and going up is a plus for me...

Malakai

Even if the NX was at Xbox One levels when docked, there's still the issue of the Nintendo audience not giving a shit about whatever western third parties throw at the system.

I truly wish that this argument will die. Third parties need not to treat the Nintendo audience like trash.

Neoxon

it really depends on the devices full purpose. If its just a handheld it could be 2-4GB. If its a console as well then it would probably need more.
As stated before, they can put whatever extra RAM they need for proper console use into the dock.

tronic307

Actually, they never said this; what they said is that the X1s are actually cooled with audible fan noise; but in the Shield and other devices, the X1 was already active cooled; and Nintendo being Nintendo, I wouldn't expect more power than the regular X1, which is better than the WiiU.
How big do you want the battery to be? Tegra X1 isn't going to work. 'We're talking about Nintendo here', but we tend to forget Nvidia's interests in all of this. NX is much bigger news than another Shield, a coup if you will. I'd say Nvidia is going to bring all their toys to the table and drag Nintendo kicking and screaming to the bleeding edge if they have to. I wouldn't be the least bit shocked if Nvidia unveiled NX before Nintendo did.

If they go with Pascal the delayed E3 makes sense

There was something fishy about their E3. All that floor space and only Zelda.

The change in using Pascal could have perhaps changed their plans to have a better reveal touting the hardware as well as having time to make their games look better and make use of the new silicon for a better unveiling.

When Nintendo said they weren't going to show it at E3 some of us suggested maybe they did some interior hardware changed and was a reason for them to push it to next year. I wonder if we're finally seeing the Kimishima impact.

tuxfool

Banned
or use HBM2.

I mean why stop when throwing up wild things.

Nah man. It is going to have an experimental optical bus, perfect for zero impedance interfacing.

What is it with people and NVlink? To me it seems people use it as a stand-in for *magic*

Mokujin

I think active cooled X1 on the development kits already hinted about this being a strong possibility, and if it really it's true even highly underclocked NX it's going to be an amazing capable handheld.

It really makes sense to try to bring Pascal and tsmc 16nm finfet to the table so it can be the best hybrid it can be.

Hope this is true, although even K1 Tegra would have made an amazing handheld, really looking forward to the reveal [but still kind of worried about the "detachable controllers thing"]

Does AMD not have something similar to this?

Is that why they're not going with AMD this time around?

AMD does not have many ARM+GPU SoC experience, meanwhile Nvidia has quite a bit of experience in the field and it's still quite ahead in the efficiency side of things [AMD Polaris has made good progress in efficiency though but still not enough to catch up]

wwm0nkey

I would have agreed with that GameFreak comment until I saw the poly count on the models in X/Y. Smart move on them for future proofing

MuchoMalo

Banned
Here we go again, haha.
It's like people forgot the massive disappointment in the Wii U Speculation Threads.

I don't think that they were serious.

Realistically, we shouldn't expect too much from this. I think the best case is something like this:

CPU: 4x Cortex A72 @2GH + 4x Cortex A53 @2GHz
GPU:2x Pascal SMs (256 CUDA cores) @700MHz (358 GFLOPS = ~448 GFLOPS) in portable mode and 1.2GHz (614 GFLOPS = ~768 AMD GFLOPS) in docked console mode with active cooling
RAM: 4-6GB LPDDR4 @25-30 GB/s (or 50-60 if Nintendo can add a 128-bit bus somehow), possibly with a 16-32MB eSRAM buffer

In the Nvidia vs. AMD FLOPS, keep in mind that Nvidia's stated FLOPS figure is always a minimum in desktop GPUs due to GPU Boost. Either way, I think that these are reasonable enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom