• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo NX rumored to use Nvidia's Pascal GPU architecture

Status
Not open for further replies.
What abiut upclocking. But the dock has RAM expansion. This way it wouldn't be crazy expensive SLI with 2 GPUs but just more RAM and an upclock.

This option definitely sounds like the most optimistic that is also realistic. At most, it'll be some extra RAM for games that couldn't function well without.

Asd202

I remember an older post from him on the first big NX topics that he wasn't that happy with the power from the NX, not sure that he already know that it was going to be a handheld

I remember when he said it's going to have more powerful CPU than Xbone.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
WUSTs taught GAF the hard way to keep expectations in check when it comes to Nintendo.

Yet it happens again.

Deep inside, you know how to react.

I'm cautiously hyped. Yay.

LCGeek and NateDrake are far better sources than IdeaMan ever was, though.

Neoxon

Because you're pretending to be a 3rd party to that tweet.
I asked a question & he answered it, I don't see the problem. I censored my Twitter account because I don't want to be bombarded on my Twitter account.

You're making a mountain out of an ant-hill, relax. My god, it's like I killed your first-born child.

EVH

Not gonna get hyped this time

You know you will end up hyped and then that hype will describe the same line the Nintendo stock is looking like in the last few weeks.

NateDrake must be kinda shitting itself with the huge amount of relevance his leak took so fast. Hope you are ok buddy.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
I'm not saying it's even likely but looking at how consoles are faring in Japan I'd have to think third parties aren't going to rule it out as quick as they've ruled out Nintendo in the past. NX might be the only decently selling system there by quite a margin.

The third parties who are making Vita and PS4 games right now should find a decent home on NX if its battery life is good, but even then they are going to be under threat from phone gaming, so it all still depends on whether or not there is even an audience for a handheld console device in Japan in that capacity.

Everyone owns a phone by default, NX is still going to have to be bought as a separate thing and that investment might not be worth it to most.

Japan is still the biggest potential audience for this type of device, as when you go westward, the options balloon

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
so we were just ysterday sure we know and today there's another new rumor that contradicts everything?

It doesn't really contradict anything. The initial reports said the current devkit chip was a Tegra X1 with active cooling and audible fan noise, and speculation was that it could change.

tumblr_m2jy024iiA1r7i7g6o1_500.jpg

/dead

maxcriden

Check The post from LCGeek earlier.

Edit: quoted just below.

Ho shit I'm hyped. but History told me not to be. Shit.

Oh, I saw it, thank you, and it's very exciting. LCG is saying the system will exceed their previous expectations and that sets my hype levels off the charts. I just didn't know if there was some other nuance or aspect you were referring to. :)

Neoxon

Does this contradicts in any way with Eurogamer leak?
Not really. Eurogamer did note that the X1 in the current NX dev kits were actively cooled, which implies that they were overclocked to serve as placeholders for what would be in the final NX units.

I used to do the same thing back in my private school days! We called it "Box-ing", and it was the best.

Hope the NX isn't too personal, as it may be portable, for the sake of the local mp experience. Nintendo is the only console I do local MP on, aside from retro consoles.

That's what I'm most interested to see. We have a decent idea of what NX might do now, but we don't really know how it will use the hardware. My guess would be that they heavily emphasize the portable capabilities of the machine. Take your NX to a friends house and throw your system on their dock to share your games with each other.

Tripon

I asked a question & he answered it, I don't see the problem. I censored my Twitter account because I don't want to be bombarded on my Twitter account.

You're making a mountain out of an ant-hill, relax. My god, it's like I killed your first-born child.
You were being disgenious in that first post.

Don't be mad if somebody calls you out on it.

Schnozberry

My hope for a full-featured portable Madden just got boosted.

People seriously underestimate what a portable full featured FIFA, Madden, and NBA 2K would mean to some people.

If the NX gets a decent NHL game, which is about as likely as a WWE Game having perfect collision detection, I would probably have to fight back tears.

jmdajr

I wouldn't be too sure about 720p. If I recall, Matt mentioned that the next Nintendo handheld's resolution would be "Higher than you'd expect, lower than you'd hope". This is leading me to believe that the screen may be 540p for the sake of better visual fidelity.

I wouldn't doubt it. Nintendo will use the cheapest guts it can get,

tronic307

So the E3 NX no-show was due to lack of silicon? That would have been my initial impression. I never quite bought that the games weren't going to be ready but to be fair it's not like Nintendo always makes decisions for singular reasons.

manueldelalas

Time Traveler
No. The Eurogamer leak stated that devkits are using overclocked X1s, which would make sense if the final GPU was something more advanced.
Actually, they never said this; what they said is that the X1s are actually cooled with audible fan noise; but in the Shield and other devices, the X1 was already active cooled; and Nintendo being Nintendo, I wouldn't expect more power than the regular X1, which is better than the WiiU.

Sadist

Nate is legit on these things. Not saying this as a reference to myself, but so are others. Let things come together nintendo is pulling at people right now and I think they are liking what they see.

I shat on when I leaked certain cpu details I wasn't suppose to. It's a lot better than initial concept, I know it doesn't please everyone but nintendo is actively wanting this machine to be solid and that reminds me of when they built n64 or gc vs the last two machines.
This excites me.

Oh, I saw it, thank you, and it's very exciting. LCG is saying the system will exceed their previous expectations and that sets my hype levels off the charts. I just didn't know if there was some other nuance or aspect you were referring to. :)

No particular nuance, unfortunately. But this casual statement from a trusted source was definitely not something I expected in this thread. :)

Wouldnt this make people purchase 3rd party games on NX instead of xbone and ps4? I mean you get the same quality of games but now you can take it wherever you want

AfroDust

Nate is legit on these things. Not saying this as a reference to myself, but so are others. Let things come together nintendo is pulling at people right now and I think they are liking what they see.

I shat on when I leaked certain cpu details I wasn't suppose to. It's a lot better than initial concept, I know it doesn't please everyone but nintendo is actively wanting this machine to be solid and that reminds me of when they built n64 or gc vs the last two machines.

Are you implying this leak was controlled? Cuz if so that blows my mind. Didn't think Nintendo did stuff like that.

Oregano

The third parties who are making Vita and PS4 games right now should find a decent home on NX if its battery life is good, but even then they are going to be under threat from phone gaming, so it all still depends on whether or not there is even an audience for a handheld console device in Japan in that capacity.

Everyone owns a phone by default, NX is still going to have to be bought as a separate thing and that investment might not be worth it to most.

Japan is still the biggest potential audience for this type of device, as when you go westward, the options balloon

I think NX will struggle to even get close to 3DS sales in Japan but if all these rumours are true Nintendo is giving it the best chance it can get. 100% of Nintendo's output and advanced enough to handle the vast majority of third party content should make it an attractive platform.

Basically unless Nintendo botches the execution terribly I can't see any other dedicated device doing remotely as well in the future
and that's somewhat terrifying.

Neoxon

Wouldnt this make people purchase 3rd party games on NX instead of xbone and ps4? I mean you get the same quality of games but now you can take it wherever you want
Even if the NX was at Xbox One levels when docked, there's still the issue of the Nintendo audience not giving a shit about whatever western third parties throw at the system.

No, because those systems actually have an install base and Nintendo systems are iffy and unstable with third party support putting it mildly.

Even if the NX was at Xbox One levels when docked, there's still the issue of the Nintendo audience not giving a shit about whatever western third parties throw at the system.

What? If its popular it will have all kinds of audience, not just "nintendo people"

Scrawnton

I'm a Nintendo fan and would be so excited if I could get the same third party games on my Nintendo system. I own all systems (not PC) but I'd love to have everything on a Nintendo system.

I wouldn't be too sure about 720p. If I recall, Matt mentioned that the next Nintendo handheld's resolution would be "Higher than you'd expect, lower than you'd hope". This is leading me to believe that the screen may be 540p for the sake of better visual fidelity.
How is 540p higher than you'd expect? What were people expecting? It's not 2011 anymore. I could read it as "expect" for sub-HD, "hope" for 1080p, and it actually being 720p.

I'd still be fine with 540p, though.

Neoxon

I'm a Nintendo fan and would be so excited if I could get the same third party games on my Nintendo system. I own all systems (not PC) but I'd love to have everything on a Nintendo system.
Yes, we would, but we don't really represent the majority. The way that western publishers see it, their games sell like shit on Nintendo platforms, so they don't think they should bother.

antonz

If it is appropriately powered and the software comes it could win people over on some titles. I imagine being able to take a full featured madden on the go would appeal to some. Its always going to face obstacles but all depends on how stuff is packaged and delivered

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom