• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo NX rumored to use Nvidia's Pascal GPU architecture

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rösti;213705921 said:
I think it was featured on the web site of EB Games, due to the 301 response I got when trying to access the page. Whether the game is actually coming to NX I don't know.

I see. well hopefully its legit

Thraktor

Square would see the NX and say this makes perfect sense. It's still essentially a handheld (great for Japan), but a high powered handheld. They'll get a lot a lot more sales from it.

I think it's safe enough to assume that any third party series with any kind of sales expectations in Japan will come to NX. This is a region where current-gen handhelds have an install base of over 26 million compared to just over 6 million from current gen consoles. The PS4 still hasn't overcome Wii U's install base after 2 and a half years on the market, and Wii U is a pretty damn low hurdle from that perspective. The NX will be the natural successor to the 3DS, Vita and Wii U, and if you're Capcom, Squeenix, Level 5, etc, and have a Japan focussed series it makes a lot more sense to climb on board with that than with PS4 (or they can just support both if they want to maximise sales outside of Japan too).

megasus

In what universe have retailers actually leaked a Game/System announcement?
Why would they even have confidential information?

Banned
I think it's safe enough to assume that any third party series with any kind of sales expectations in Japan will come to NX. This is a region where current-gen handhelds have an install base of over 26 million compared to just over 6 million from current get consoles. The PS4 still hasn't overcome Wii U's install base after 2 and a half years on the market, and Wii U is a pretty damn low hurdle from that perspective. The NX will be the natural successor to the 3DS, Vita and Wii U, and if you're Capcom, Squeenix, Level 5, etc, and have a Japan focussed series it makes a lot more sense to climb on board with that than with PS4 (or they can just support both if they want to maximise sales outside of Japan too).
Hit the nail on the head.

That's why I expect any JRPG series you've seen come to vita and PS4 or announced for them to come to NX.

Rösti;213705921 said:
I think it was featured on the web site of EB Games, due to the 301 response I got when trying to access the page. Whether the game is actually coming to NX I don't know.

So thread worthy? I cant make one since I'm still a jr :(

I think it's safe enough to assume that any third party series with any kind of sales expectations in Japan will come to NX. This is a region where current-gen handhelds have an install base of over 26 million compared to just over 6 million from current get consoles. The PS4 still hasn't overcome Wii U's install base after 2 and a half years on the market, and Wii U is a pretty damn low hurdle from that perspective. The NX will be the natural successor to the 3DS, Vita and Wii U, and if you're Capcom, Squeenix, Level 5, etc, and have a Japan focussed series it makes a lot more sense to climb on board with that than with PS4 (or they can just support both if they want to maximise sales outside of Japan too).

Yep, it all makes sense. I believe KH3 is coming to NX.

I'm pretty sure we've had numerous games leaked by retailers. Didn't we just have one happen this year? I can't remember.

http://m.gadgets.ndtv.com/games/news/retailer-leaks-skyrim-remaster-release-date-846764

Pinky

Banned
Which means that someone will post it without asking by the end of the day.

I highly expect it, lol.

Well Rosti said a lot ppl was messaging him. Over 301 messages so i assume it can be.

If someone wants to make a thread, more power to them. I just think it'll be flooded with nothing more than dismissive posts. I think we need more than a taken down EB listing to convince a lot of gaffers here that the possibility exists.

LordOfChaos

Gaming is very much a secondary feature of the Apple TV, and I'm not sure how much performance they'd actually gain from active cooling (PowerVR is designed for a passively cooled environment, so might not be able to clock that much higher, even with plenty of power and cooling).

Agreed, their goals aren't my dreams, but a man can dream. A hexacore Twister CPU would lay waste to even the upcoming console iterations, and the iPad Pros GPU is already 500Gflops with a very efficient architecture and architected to do even better on FP16 (and instead of using one fp32 unit for two fp16 operations, they have separate hardware entirely, so interleaving both would scale even more). Another shrink, another doubling up, a modest clock increase...

b3bf057b69945a36a011d938e8853bf179cbc9718d36b486da77d5e54c86afb3.jpg

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage

Our universe. It happens quite frequently, actually.

Dystify

If that listing wasn't a mistake EB Games Australia maybe heard of the game due to their Expo which is held on September 30 - October 2 in Sydney. Square Enix games such as FFXV and Kingdom Hearts HD 2.8 will be shown there and Nintendo will be an exhibitor.

I think it's safe enough to assume that any third party series with any kind of sales expectations in Japan will come to NX. This is a region where current-gen handhelds have an install base of over 26 million compared to just over 6 million from current gen consoles. The PS4 still hasn't overcome Wii U's install base after 2 and a half years on the market, and Wii U is a pretty damn low hurdle from that perspective. The NX will be the natural successor to the 3DS, Vita and Wii U, and if you're Capcom, Squeenix, Level 5, etc, and have a Japan focussed series it makes a lot more sense to climb on board with that than with PS4 (or they can just support both if they want to maximise sales outside of Japan too).
Well said. I would also suspect that the NX will get at least some RPG ports from PSVita.

Eh, I'm doubtful we'll see this with most high-budget console titles aimed largely at the overseas market. Not that Japan is making many of those to begin with, mind you.

Thraktor

Eh, I'm doubtful we'll see this with most high-budget console titles aimed largely at the overseas market. Not that Japan is making many of those to begin with, mind you.

My point is more in relation to series which are primarily aimed at Japanese audiences (i.e. Monster Hunter, Kingdom Hearts, Yo-Kai Watch, etc.). Obviously western-focussed games like Resident Evil are going to be developed for PS4 first and foremost.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I find it interesting we haven't had more leaks since the initial one. Doesn't the floodgate usually open once the first one hits?

Plinko

I think it's a testament to Nintendo and how they've been able to keep this ship tightly locked very well.

That's the thing, though--with how tight it has been and how nothing else has leaked, don't signs point to the leak being purposeful?

That's the thing, though--with how tight it has been and how nothing else has leaked, don't signs point to the leak being purposeful?
Ahh I see what you're saying.

Usually, when there's one leak, then you get more leaks following it, but there hasn't been any really. I guess it could be a leak controlled by Nintendo, but who knows really.

I think this hybrid NX makes sense in terms of Nintendo wanting to attract casual gamers and keeping the system at a cheaper price.

Jinketsu

That's the thing though.. could we consider this latest rumor a leak? Just because it's the latest rumor to come around and none others have surfaced to completely debunk it... doesn't mean that it's true. We have trusted sources that have been wrong about NX before coming in and giving us indirect answers to keep our hopes high that this leak is legitimate, but we've not actually seen any proof to back it up. Just a bunch of different people saying "our sources also say this" without anything to really solidify their claims.

It's the speculation that's fun, let's not lean on anything as "must be true" until we've got the concrete evidence.

Go to Nintendo's offical page

You mean the Temple of Time from a few days ago?

NateDrake

Go to Nintendo's offical page

If it's the Temple of Time from BotW, then it was posted last week.

That's the thing though.. could we consider this latest rumor a leak? Just because it's the latest rumor to come around and none others have surfaced to completely debunk it... doesn't mean that it's true. We have trusted sources that have been wrong about NX before coming in and giving us indirect answers to keep our hopes high that this leak is legitimate, but we've not actually seen any proof to back it up. Just a bunch of different people saying "our sources also say this" without anything to really solidify their claims.

It's the speculation that's fun, let's not lean on anything as "must be true" until we've got the concrete evidence.
What concrete evidence do you think you'll get outside of the official reveal?

Turrican3

Wouldn't the dock need extra power for that?
suddenly rendering at 2x or even 4x the resolution is not free
Well yes, I expect rendering more pixels isn't coming for free.

But I also believe there's no point (like, at all) in a TV-capable system unable to hit even a 720p native resolution. It made a lot of sense IMHO with the Wii for example because at that time HDTV wasn't a thing yet, but in 2017 it would mean suicide.

Heck, I'd argue NX should aim at no less than 1080p if Nintendo is serious about the "hybrid" stuff (which I'm still unsure about to be honest, but that's a completely different matter).

Peterc

So at the moment we still going with the EG rumor.

-Reveal in sept.
-Hybrid system powered by Nvidia with some base/dock station.
-2 detachable controllers to play together.

Also no other console.

This confirmed by allot of other big sites, and some from neogaf + Emily.

I go with this, it will decide for me what sources i can trust in the future and who not.

We will see in Sept.

Banned
Would anyone be interesting in reading my Screencaps of an interview with an NoA software engineer back in April?

It won't reveal the source and it certainly makes more sense now than in April.

Would anyone be interesting in reading my Screencaps of an interview with an NoA software engineer back in April?

It won't reveal the source and it certainly makes more sense now than in April.

Always interested in more material to speculate on!

Edit: Top of page + page 100! Idk why this feels like an accomplishment.

Xdrive05

Honestly 1080p is a must for living-room TV usage for a new console anytime after a couple years ago. Hopefully the dock = power boost thing is true and to that end. I'm starting to doubt we'll get Breath of the Wild at 1080p30 given the spec rumors being a Tegra variant, but we'll see. If they can keep the clock speeds up when in handheld mode, then it should be perfectly doable there at 720p. But then again that is assuming the Wii-U engine will port perfectly well to a Tegra architecture, so...

It doesn't have to do X1 graphics, but it should be able to do clean 1080p graphics all the same, when on a TV display.

Incase people wanted to see the other listed games..

VPasl7V.png

0kP1FIN.png

Nice! This is actually helpful in contextualizing it.

I tried to find the trademark for KH3, but I couldn't. If in the classifications cartridges were mentioned it could hint at NX. That's one of the many pieces of evidence towards Zelda NX.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom