• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo NX rumored to use Nvidia's Pascal GPU architecture

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eradicate

PnkLaU3.png

Be still my beating heart...

Everything going on the last week and a half or so is just making me go crazy!

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
I think if it was pulled off leads to me thinking they messed up in revealing it on their website.

It could also be a case of someone putting something non-existing and then pulled off immediately before it could spread out too much, making people believe such a thing is happening. Complicated, I know, but it's a possibility.

maxcriden

It could also be a case of someone putting something non-existing and then pulled off immediately before it could spread out too much, making people believe such a thing is happening. Complicated, I know, but it's a possibility.

I think it's the likeliest possibility based on the information we have. Maybe if a South African retailer posted it alongside a BOTW amiibo bundle, then I would consider it confirmed.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage

If real, this would be threadworthy. That would be confirmation of the system's power.

Probably a mistake, though.

Just seems odd to me this would come out of nowhere considering KH3 has been up on websites forever. Do we know if the PS4/XB1 versions have been available for preorder on the same website before?

Thraktor

The issue is that the cache would eat up enough of the die that we'd likely end up with 1 SM and 2-4 CPU cores, which ironically wouldn't need the eSRAM to avoid bttlenecks in the first place. I hope Nintendo thinks logically this time, but they just don't seem to care about price/performance or ease of development for third parties even a little bit.

The A9 has a 4MB SRAM cache which, on the TSMC 16FF version, takes up approximately 6.5mm². That's about half the size of a 64 bit LPDDR4 interface or an SM, and would provide double the cache of the GTX 1080.

They've done so to avoid wide memory IO widths and lower power consumption, but it's come at the expense of raw GPU execution hardware. So I kind of hope not this time. SoC for as much CPU and GPU as you can throw at it with LPDDR4 providing enough bandwidth.

Perhaps at most what Apple does, with a small SRAM block for GPU quick access. Not a repeat of spending a third of the die on eDRAM to make up for 12.8GB/s DDR3, like the Wii U.

Yes, that's what I was getting at when I said that this could be one of the reasons Nintendo decided to go with Nvidia, that they could achieve the same goals as before (reduced main memory bandwidth needs, reduced power consumption, etc.) with only 10% or less of the die, rather than 30%+.

I want Apple to slap a heatsink and fan on the A9 for the Apple TV :(

When I saw it was larger I got all hyped, but it looks like it's a bog standard A8 (apart from having 2GB RAM).

Imagine the Apple TV on the X series though...A9X this year, A10X next...It would creep up on the base consoles alarmingly fast.

Gaming is very much a secondary feature of the Apple TV, and I'm not sure how much performance they'd actually gain from active cooling (PowerVR is designed for a passively cooled environment, so might not be able to clock that much higher, even with plenty of power and cooling).

Apple's mobiles generally seem lost to an audience like us - Apple have brilliant engineering and could produce state-of-the-art performance devices, accompanied by an open software ecosystem. Instead, they produce nice-performance, state-of-the-art-thickness walled-garden devices. Because that's what the masses like. I still can't figure out for the life of me why the ipad pro is not a MacOS-lite netbook.

Apple have been very clear about keeping their pointer-based and touch-based OSs separate, and given my (admittedly limited) experiences with Windows on a touch screen, I can't say I blame them. I do expect them to move to ARM for MacOS at some point, but I imagine they're waiting until they can offer competitive performance in the MBP/iMac performance bracket, as I would say they'd want to make the full changeover as quick as possible (similar to PPC->x86, which I believe was completed within a year).

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Weren't you hell bent on nvidia? What happened?

Sounds like he still is and that AMD could possibly be involved in other aspects of the system.

Dystify

If real, this would be threadworthy. That would be confirmation of the system's power.

Threadworthy for the fact that it'd be a new game coming to NX, yes. Confirmation of the system's power? Not so much. It would confirm UE4 on NX, though.

The game itself will launch after the NX has launched. I'd say there's a decent chance it'll get ported.

TLZ

Banned

Just seems odd to me this would come out of nowhere considering KH3 has been up on websites forever. Do we know if the PS4/XB1 versions have been available for preorder on the same website before?
This can't be a mistake.

BY2K

Membero Americo
The timing of this right after the instruction to change the release date of FFXV leaked is... interesting, though.

DKHF

Wow that's a nice get for Nintendo if KHIII is on it. That has definitely seemed like a possibility given the series' history with Nintendo platforms.

I like this point and I should've said it. How do you make this mistake now? It's been on there for X1 and PS4 already for a while, right? Who would just all of a sudden go in and put KH3 for NX?

Retrobox

KH 3 is absolutely a title that Nintendo needs to bring under their belt. Luckily, it's not exactly unusual for KH titles to appear on Nintendo handhelds, although this would be a main title this time.

Go in for the kill, Nintendo!

Plinko

Threadworthy for the fact that it'd be a new game coming to NX, yes. Confirmation of the system's power? Not so much. It would confirm UE4 on NX, though.

The game itself will launch after the NX has launched. I'd say there's a decent chance it'll get ported.

I meant confirmation of the system's power as in it could handle a port from PS4. I think that would go along with what OsirisBlack said, and would be a good sign.

Plinko

This can't be a mistake.

:O

also it was taking down as well as Zelda and Just Dance

I like this point and I should've said it. How do you make this mistake now? It's been on there for X1 and PS4 already for a while, right? Who would just all of a sudden go in and put KH3 for NX?

Right--timing is really, really odd here. Makes zero sense to add an NX version when the others have already been up. I'm actually leaning toward this being true.

mikeyvids

Neo Member

If it were a mistake would the thumbnail of the NintendoNX be coupled with the game cover as a single jpeg/gif/png image?

Does GS host the image of the system on case separate from the image on case? If not that would require special rescripting specifically for the Nintendo NX portion of their website. Would they break a template to do that?

To me either it's intentionally faked or it's real. I don't buy mistake.

Plinko

Joegrine, where did you find that? Can you confirm it was on the site?

Edit: LOL 4DS

If that first one was faked, that's disappointing.

Dystify

I meant confirmation of the system's power as in it could handle a port from PS4. I think that would go along with what OsirisBlack said, and would be a good sign.

But if NX can run UE4 they could downscale the game so it can run on NX. Which is why I think it doesn't mean much. But if NX can run UE4 (I don't doubt that it can) it will already be a good thing, because it means NX is somewhat using modern internals. If you believe the EG rumors you already knew this though. :p

Dystify

Ignoring the fact that the image can easily be faked, there is the EB Games Expo in Australia on September 30 until October 2.

Pinky

Banned
KH3 could happen on NX. DQX is already confirmed, DQXI was announced at that S-E event, but immediately retracted. Guess S-E prematurely let it slip, but it seems likely it will come to NX, and now this EB posting for KH3. Time will tell, but interesting days lay ahead.

maxcriden

Right--timing is really, really odd here. Makes zero sense to add an NX version when the others have already been up. I'm actually leaning toward this being true.

To clarify my prior post, I agree that this is very possibly real, or at least the KHIII will come to NX. I just am unconvinced by whether this leak itself is proof. :)

*Not a TH-work emoji. I've been using :) in my posts forevs.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
so Rosti you think this is legit?
I think it was featured on the web site of EB Games, due to the 301 response I got when trying to access the page. Whether the game is actually coming to NX I don't know.

pooh

I'm waiting for some more info from a contact but it seems like of there is a home console, it'll also be an Nvidia chip and amd involvement will be the SCD and cloud servers/networking.

That's awesome to hear. I've been thinking this was the case for a little while now, just because it seems to make the most sense, cost-wise.

Eolz

KH3 would just make sense, going for the biggest audience, especially with Disney's IPs. Never doubted that tbh (unlike FFXV rumors that never made sense).

Sure: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=211521900&postcount=452

I don't think there was too much else besides that, but LCGeek's updated thoughts on the matter (and AMD's potential involvement) are always appreciated. :)

Geek? Can we interrupt your Overwatch session for a moment? haha

Missed that, nice.

To clarify my prior post, I agree that this is very possibly real, or at least the KHIII will come to NX. I just am unconvinced by whether this leak itself is proof. :)

*Not a TH-work emoji. I've been using :) in my posts forevs.

Are you an insider?! Ahah, yeah best to not start this again.

Square would see the NX and say this makes perfect sense. It's still essentially a handheld (great for Japan), but a high powered handheld. They'll get a lot a lot more sales from it.

KH series record track shows KH3 could come out for even your fridge temperature display, so I think it will release on NX if the thing has enough power to run it.

Plus, we know NX is UE4 ready, so a port should be easy to make.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom