• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo NX rumored to use Nvidia's Pascal GPU architecture

Status
Not open for further replies.

Banned
... Are you sure it's a Nintendo employee? It looks like he doesn't know anything and just bullshitted you.
He's confirmed and legit. Nate know's his ID.

Lol. Gave insight on power level and debunking free form and mouse wheels.

BY2K

Membero Americo
e5BeVp2.jpg

fPGaASa.jpg

HErTo5A.jpg

EOtneiO.jpg

gD7SqGm.jpg

yemij9C.jpg

This tells us literally fucking nothing.

Eolz

He's confirmed and legit. Emily and Nate know his ID.

Not that I don't believe you, but for everyone's sake do you think we can get a mod to verify?

Nate and Emily are confirmation enough. He really doesn't seem to know anything about hardware at all though, and just seen a memo about some vague specs.

Malus

Anything to add to this, Nate?

Also, "Is the ram type x,y,z?"

Response: "I don't remember"

lel that's an interesting engineer

Ishida

Banned
"So it is above the PS4 in power?"

"It might look like it is, but it's not."

Huh?

So maybe it could output graphics that look PS4-level, but at a lower resolution?

Banned
Nate and Emily are confirmation enough. He really doesn't seem to know anything about hardware at all though, and just seen a memo about some vague specs.
Like I said. Nda. He debunked more than confirmed. But what caught my eye was it performing like a PS4 but nobody claiming the specs are above PS4.

You people are relentless lol. I didn't say you'd get new info just that some of what he said back on April makes more sense with the eurogamer stuff.

"So it is above the PS4 in power?"

"It might look like it is, but it's not."

Huh?

So maybe it could output graphics that look PS4-level, but at a lower resolution?
Yes.

Like I said. Nda. He debunked more than confirmed. But what caught my eye was it performing like a PS4 but nobody claiming the specs are above PS4.

You people are relentless lol. I didn't say you'd get new info just that some of what he said back on April makes more sense with the eurogamer stuff.

Yes.

It could look like a PS4 in a handheld, since resolution is waay lower.
Maybe something like that.
Though he did say that the handheld was not the controller.

I told 10k before that of all his stuff, that interview smelled legit because of how little it says. It does drop a few interesting nuggets, though:

-No scroll wheels
-No Polaris
-Handheld not the controller (fits w/ the docking station reports)
-Conventional controls, but with a twist.

Could it still be a troll? Sure, but if Emily and Nate vouch for the guy, I'm cool with rolling with it for now.

Davey Cakes

It was fun to read that just because of how uninformative it is.

I like that the engineer doesn't think NX has a "gimmick." That's kind of been my perspective. I don't consider the Wii U Gamepad to be much of a gimmick because how ingrained it is in the console's identity. Plus, features like Off-TV play feel like legitimate new features that should be supported going forward. Even the Wiimote has moved away from gimmickry with the IR pointer becoming a preferable method of navigation.

If NX takes this another step with an even more naturally-ingrained feature set, I wouldn't be surprised if there really isn't something people could call a "gimmick."

NateDrake

I told 10k before that of all his stuff, that interview smelled legit because of how little it says. It does drop a few interesting nuggets, though:

-No scroll wheels
-No Polaris
-Handheld not the controller (fits w/ the docking station reports)
-Conventional controls, but with a twist.

Could it still be a troll? Sure, but if Nate vouch for the guy, I'm cool with rolling with it for now.

For clarity sake; I can vouch that the name of the person is legit. Whether or not said person was the actual person answering the questions I cannot.

Yes.

What about it connecting to the tv though? You're telling me it will have some bad resolution on the tv?

Retrobox

It was fun to read that just because of how uninformative it is.

I like that the engineer doesn't think NX has a "gimmick." That's kind of been my perspective. I don't consider the Wii U Gamepad to be much of a gimmick because how ingrained it is in the console's identity. Plus, features like Off-TV play feel like legitimate new features that should be supported going forward.

If NX takes this another step with an even more naturally-ingrained feature set, I wouldn't be surprised if there really isn't something people could call a "gimmick."

The Internet doesn't know what a "gimmick" is anymore. They mainly just use it for "thing I don't like / need" and call it a day. I'm not sure who to blame for this, but it's not the only word that slowly lost all meaning.

Banned
What about it connecting to the tv though? You're telling me it will have some bad resolution on the tv?
No. It'll likely mean it renders at 1080p on TV and when it's removed from the dock it down clocks the chips to conserve battery and reduce heat and display at 720p and lower levels of detail.

No scrollable shoulders is kinda bummer, tbh.

I was really expecting them.

I've been of the opinion that, for something that you presumably carry in your pocket or bag, mouse wheels would be too prone to trapping lint. Some kind of optical or capacitive touch along the outer perimeter seems the better choice and would also have the appearance of being more modern. Nintendo mentioned those technologies in the very same patent.

The "it might perform like it is" tidbit could have to do with the FP16 performance of the X1 (and likely whatever Pascal chip they go with if they do) being double the FP32 performance.

I would think most exclusive games could take great advantage of that fact to output pretty impressive graphics, especially Nintendo first party games as they always squeeze the most out of their hardware.

I've been of the opinion that, for something that you presumably carry in your pocket or bag, mouse wheels would be too prone to trapping lint. Some kind of optical or capacitive touch along the outer perimeter seems the better choice and would also have the appearance of being more modern. Nintendo mentioned those technologies in the very same patent.

Ah, the lint comment makes sense.

Are you thinking something along the lines of the PS4 touchpad but for shoulder buttons? I think that would be cool.

NateDrake

I tweeted at Emily. She cannot confirm - but we do have Nate's quasi-confirmation.

WSAdN51.png

I said I could vouch for the name being legit. Beyond that, I cannot. I have no direct knowledge if the person answering the questions was actually the person or not.

Basically, if you tell me Bill Gates spoke to you about Xbox, I can vouch that Bill Gates is a person, but I can't say for certain if you spoke to him or not.

Nice! This is actually helpful in contextualizing it.

I tried to find the trademark for KH3, but I couldn't. If in the classifications cartridges were mentioned it could hint at NX. That's one of the many pieces of evidence towards Zelda NX.

I remember Resident Evil 7 and Zelda being trademarked

Ah, the lint comment makes sense.

Are you thinking something along the lines of the PS4 touchpad but for shoulder buttons? I think that would be cool.

Either that or an optical touch sensor. Nintendo have clearly been exploring that type of technology in their other patents (e.g. the one for controller attachments) and their partner on the Wii Remote tech, PixArt, would be a logical choice. There are a wide variety of applications that IR optical sensors open up. I'm expecting (hoping) for a set of true bumpers or triggers as well to compliment whatever they settle on.

Either that or an optical touch sensor. Nintendo have clearly been exploring that type of technology in their other patents (e.g. the one for controller attachments) and their partner on the Wii Remote tech, PixArt, would be a logical choice. There are a wide variety of applications that IR optical sensors open up. I'm expecting (hoping) for a set of true bumpers or triggers as well to compliment whatever they settle on.

I believe the scroll wheels patent did indeed mention that the same function can be performed with touch sensors, optical or even just small touch screens.

Eolz

I said I could vouch for the name being legit. Beyond that, I cannot. I have no direct knowledge if the person answering the questions was actually the person or not.

Basically, if you tell me Bill Gates spoke to you about Xbox, I can vouch that Bill Gates is a person, but I can't say for certain if you spoke to him or not.

And it makes a lot more sense. Anybody can believe what they want from that, it's not like there's really anything important in there.

Peterc

Yes.

I've seen this one before, it's posted before, maybe it was on twitter?

Malus

I tweeted at Emily. She cannot confirm - but we do have Nate's quasi-confirmation.

WSAdN51.png

This has been an up and down day for the 10k rumor mill lol.

Very well put! Thanks, Nate.

My blog when I had one. Anyways, I'll keep stuff like that to myself from now on since some people were expecting a spec sheet leak or something lol.

It was interesting to read for sure. You framed it as "a conversation" from back in April so I don't know why people thought there would be new info there...

The thirst is indeed real!

LordOfChaos

Can't say the core count and doesn't remember the RAM eh. Never heard of PowerVR and works in the industry?

Not calling it a fake out as I think 10k has good intentions, I'm just saying...I can't say. Unknown. I don't know :p

My blog when I had one. Anyways, I'll keep stuff like that to myself from now on since some people were expecting a spec sheet leak or something lol.

Wasn't a diss on my part, just always wishing for more concrete. Was still interesting for the nuggets there were!

Whether your person was legit or an imposter is one thing, but there's definitely enough substance in there to aid the speculation imo. I mean, this person said there wouldn't be 8 GB of RAM and not PS4-level specs before we even knew it was a handheld. Also denied the Android rumors and a couple other morsels. When we've got so little, every little nugget is appreciated as far as I'm concerned. It could all be educated treachery, yeah, but it honestly doesn't even matter as nothing really contradicts what we've heard from the Eurogamer report. I guess some will be disappointed if there aren't mouse wheels on the shoulders.

Peterc

Hey, I agree with you, people ask for it. They are hunger for NX info, me too.

It's sad how people are react afterwards if it's not what they expected it would be.

10k did give you the option, I ask for PM, maybe thats what we need to do next time...

LordOfChaos

Whether your person was legit or an imposter is one thing, but there's definitely enough substance in there to aid the speculation imo. I mean, this person said there wouldn't be 8 GB of RAM and not PS4-level specs before we even knew it was a handheld. Also denied the Android rumors and a couple other morsels. When we've got so little, every little nugget is appreciated as far as I'm concerned.

If you squint your brain you can also shoehorn the answer to console or stationery of "it's a device that plays games" as knowing it does both before we did, but it's vague. Who knows. I wonder if a follow up could get anything more concrete at this point as back then he said a fair bit was in flux.

Pinky

Banned

No hard feelings, 10k. I do enjoy reading your posts. I just think my thirst for NX info is well beyond critical mass. At this point, the reveal is the only thing that can save me and bring me back. :p

If you squint your brain you can also shoehorn the answer to console or stationery of "it's a device that plays games" as knowing it does both before we did, but it's vague. Who knows. I wonder if a follow up could get anything more concrete at this point as back then he said a fair bit was in flux.

Hahaha, I admit I've given this interview a very unscientific analysis, but being a full-time NX skeptic is no fun. I'm not afraid of being wrong on this one, because it pretty much goes along with what I already thought. I have no idea what kind of ID 10k was presented with, but the info makes sense. How he(she?) could forget the RAM type is somewhat baffling, but hey, an imposter could have easily said that was NDA just like w/ the CPU.

I understand people being fed up at this point. I am ready for the reveal.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Am I the only one seeing tthis silent and very long period from the first NX codename reveal and its first official presentation possibly hurting the actual NX itself?

Am I the only one seeing tthis silent and very long period from the first NX codename reveal and its first official presentation possibly hurting the actual NX itself?
Maybe, Nintendo did essentially do the same with Wii U, but that was when it was officially announced (announced with no games, just a bunch of tech demos and nothing for like a year)

Asd202

Yes.

That pretty much tell us it lower spec. Res is expensive.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage

Don't see why it would. They don't need two years to market a system. 6 months is plenty--IF thry utilize them wisely. Nonstop news. Introduce new games every week or two.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom