• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NJPW World |OT| Like the WWE Network, but better

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Thanks for the update, Butros. I was hurtin' at that gap, because yesterday I was itchin for some early turn of the century stuff.

Quoting for the new page;

Updated the NJPW World Recommended Viewing List;

http://tinyurl.com/NJPW-WORLD

I've gone through all of 2000 ~ 2014 compiling the worthwhile matches from each show currently available. The best ones are highlighted yellow.

Thanks for the update, Butros. I was hurtin' at that gap, because yesterday I was itchin for some early turn of the century stuff.

Yeah, updating that section was hard - I didn't get back into New Japan until about 2006/2007 and only really watched NOAH before then, so I had to go a lot on reviews and Meltzer ratings.

tm24

Thanks for linking direct for me. It really is a hell of a lineup. Some of their best work, too.

dqbiH9R.png

Make sure you watch allll the Negro Casas you can.Dude's still going too, and does MOTY contenders in Mexico. Last year he had one HELL of a 2/3 falls match with Titan.

Oh man i totally forgot Negro Casas was in the 94 cup. But yes, Casas is the best

Yeah, I was planning to use the DVDVR lists when I got around to the 80's & 90's sections. Not enough content in the 70's section at present, unfortunately.

iiicon

Updated the NJPW World Recommended Viewing List;

http://tinyurl.com/NJPW-WORLD

I've gone through all of 2000 ~ 2014 compiling the worthwhile matches from each show currently available. The best ones are highlighted yellow.

I think the channel's called AXS TV - the NJPW shows start on January 16th.

Oh wow, you're Senor Lariato? I had no idea - though why would I, considering I never venture over to Wrestling-GAF. Thanks for all the work!

Watching Tenryu/Hash from the '98 G1. So intense, even before the bell rings - Tenryu wearing his patented look of contempt, while Hashimoto's eyes scream "I'm going to goddamn murder you, old man". Crowd are super into it, unsurprisingly.

Oh wow, you're Senor Lariato? I had no idea - though why would I, considering I never venture over to Wrestling-GAF. Thanks for all the work!

No problem (I should probably get my GAF name changed to match my twitter handle). WrassleGAF's a hive of scum and villainy, but they're a good bunch and it's a community worth checking out :)

shaowebb

Oh man this is glorious. I think they even have some of my old pro wrestling trainer's matches on here! Bobby Blaze had a running feud with Great Sasuke for awhile. Top rope brainbuster will for once be something I can witness him doing to someone else!

iiicon

No problem (I should probably get my GAF name changed to match my twitter handle). WrassleGAF's a hive of scum and villainy, but they're a good bunch and it's a community worth checking out :)

I've always been under the impression that it's WWE central there. Is that not the case? I mean, it's fine and understandable if it is, but I don't have any interest in that product. I'll probably check it out this weekend though. Lots to discuss between the RoH, CHIKARA, and NJPW shows.

I've always been under the impression that it's WWE central there. Is that not the case? I mean, it's fine and understandable if it is, but I don't have any interest in that product. I'll probably check it out this weekend though. Lots to discuss between the RoH, CHIKARA, and NJPW shows.

A good amount of talk is WWE but plenty of us talk ROH and NJPW. And PWG. And other random indys.

Getting Final Battle this weekend.

fuck a chikara

There'll probably be a bunch of us watching ROH this weekend and there's a fair few indie wrestling fans about - it is mostly WWE, though, but that's the reality of most forums these days, I find.

Anywho, Tenryu & Hash beating the crap out of each other for 15 minutes was, unsurprisingly, a whole lot of fun.

LSNZuKE.gif

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member

You bury our community? I'll slap your 2003-Tenryu-Titties with RUTHLESS AGGRESSION!
Yes come to WrassleGAF. Sometimes it feels like it's all WWE shit, but that's natural. We got lucha fans that talk CMLL and AAA, and puro fans like most of us. You'll find someone who's into what you're into.

Yeah, I guess we'll find out when they release the schedule for February - there's two PPVs that month, New Beginning in Osaka & Sendai. The Osaka show is the bigger of the two, I could see the NJPW World shows being limited to the Sendai event and Road to New Beginning house shows, while the Osaka show is a normal iPPV through Nicovideo.

The fact that this month's World Tag League final PPV is airing on NJPW World on an 8 hour delay suggest we'll at least get quick access to the big shows, even if watching them live isn't included in the subscription price.
Eight hour delay, a day's delay is fine with me. If I don't have to pay 15 dollars for every Roadt to Power Struggle gain then I am swell..

I don't know why AJPW, would limit themselves to Japan only. They gotta feel my support from here. I know Dragon Gate doesn't have that lmpressive and stories library but I need it.

strobogo

Banned
You bury our community? I'll slap your 2003-Tenryu-Titties with RUTHLESS AGGRESSION!
Yes come to WrassleGAF. Sometimes it feels like it's all WWE shit, but that's natural. We got lucha fans that talk CMLL and AAA, and puro fans like most of us. You'll find someone who's into what you're into.

Yeah but lucha sucks.

The NJPW World player is available internationally now - just search 'NJPW WORLD' on the Google Play store.

Watched the semis and final of the 2011 G1, crazy to see how over Naito was. The crowd were totally OK with Shinsuke winning, but you can tell they were pulling for a Naito upset. the semis were good as well, Naito and Tanahashi had a real quick sprint while Nakamura wrestled a fairly long match against Suzuki. This was probably the best of the Suzuki/Nakamura encounters, as often they don't seem to live up to everyone's expectations. Something about their styles doesn't quite mesh, whereas when Suzuki's wrestling someone really flashy like Styles, Tanahashi or Naito it provides a better contrast for his own work.

hamchan

Only found out about this thing because of that thread.

strobogo

Banned

WWE is the main thing since it is the most accessible, even before the Network. But NJPW/PWG/ROH are pretty frequent topics. NJPW has had 2 or 3 OT topics this year I believe. Bootaaay also posts shit from just about every shit hole company in Europe and Asia you can imagine.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member

You can't really avoid WWE talk considering it is far and away the biggest promotion there, but we talk about everything. Come on in~

Just be prepared to give us a Fave Five. Dems the rules.

Xater

You can't really avoid WWE talk considering it is far and away the biggest promotion there, but we talk about everything. Come on in~

Just be prepared to give us a Fave Five. Dems the rules.

And to be fair the WWE talk is mostly how shit it is compared to almost everything else.

Also you don't need to shake DMZcaf's hand.

The NJPW World player is available internationally now - just search 'NJPW WORLD' on the Google Play store.

Watched the semis and final of the 2011 G1, crazy to see how over Naito was. The crowd were totally OK with Shinsuke winning, but you can tell they were pulling for a Naito upset. the semis were good as well, Naito and Tanahashi had a real quick sprint while Nakamura wrestled a fairly long match against Suzuki. This was probably the best of the Suzuki/Nakamura encounters, as often they don't seem to live up to everyone's expectations. Something about their styles doesn't quite mesh, whereas when Suzuki's wrestling someone really flashy like Styles, Tanahashi or Naito it provides a better contrast for his own work.
I hope they act just as fast with an iPad app and improved search function, which is already better than The E's. If the upcoming schedule is pretty inclusive AI don't see myself ever canceling. Goddam they acted so quickly from ustream to NicoNico to this.

Xater

I hope they act just as fast with an iPad app and improved search function, which is already better than The E's. If the upcoming schedule is pretty inclusive AI don't see myself ever canceling. Goddam they acted so quickly from ustream to NicoNico to this.

Yeah also looking forward to an iPad app. Would be cool to watch a match or two in bed before going to sleep that way.

Finals for the Word Tag League iPPV this Sunday;

Gallows & Guns (Doc Gallows & 'Machine Gun' Karl Anderson) vs Meiyu Tag (Hirooki Goto & Katsuyori Shibata)

Yeah also looking forward to an iPad app. Would be cool to watch a match or two in bed before going to sleep that way.
Yeah, hopefully it's one of their priorities, especially if they really are blown away by the international subs. Bootay and I used to discuss this a lot, but it was hard for me to pay $15 for very road to Power Struggle or lead up event, but with this Im set. The library and all that is just bonus for me.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Finals for the Word Tag League iPPV this Sunday;

Gallows & Guns (Doc Gallows & 'Machine Gun' Karl Anderson) vs Meiyu Tag (Hirooki Goto & Katsuyori Shibata)

Well, it's time for those belts to move on, I feel.

Plus it keeps Shibata away from IWGP Championship which I'm fine with. He needs to GET OLDER AND GRUMPIER.

Crazy to think that if Shibata wins it'll be his first championship gold anywhere in wrestling.

Anywho, finished updating the NJPW World recommended viewing list, which took a while;

tinyurl.com/NJPW-WORLD

475 matches on there currently, from 1973 ~ 2014. The ones highlighted orange are the most recommended, either via my own personal preference, Meltzer ratings or the DVDVR 80's & 90's ballots. Yellow are good to great matches, while the ones left white are standard 'worth a watch' sort of matches.

That was one of the first matches I put on, just to see how the 70's footage looked, but I ended up watching the whole thing. Karl was seriously awesome, I wish there was more of his work available.

strobogo

Banned
That was one of the first matches I put on, just to see how the 70's footage looked, but I ended up watching the whole thing. Karl was seriously awesome, I wish there was more of his work available.

Everything about it is dope. I love the JWA and early NJ/AJ style. Karl and Inoki blasting through mat work that dudes today would have trouble with, guys half Karl's age. He was 49 in this. Thesz was 56. Shit was ridiculous for dudes that age going at it as hard as they were for nearly 50 minutes, even in a tag. That match is dope. Gotch must have been incredible in his prime.

iiicon

It's awesome to see Gallows doing so well in Japan. I always thought he had more in him than what he got to show in the WWE. He may have had a couple great indie matches after he was let go, but there's a difference between having a handful of great hardcore brawls in front of maybe a hundred people and putting on good matches almost every night in front of thousands. He's really come into his own.

It's interesting to see all the big guys that WWE let go put it together over in Japan: baby Bulldog, Gallows, Archer, and even Bernard going back further. It makes me wonder why they fail so often in the WWE.

although, to be fair, who thought that Lance Hoyt would become one of the most menacing, entertaining big men in the business?

strobogo

Banned
It's awesome to see Gallows doing so well in Japan. I always thought he had more in him than what he got to show in the WWE. He may have had a couple great indie matches after he was let go, but there's a difference between having a handful of great hardcore brawls in front of maybe a hundred people and putting on good matches almost every night in front of thousands. He's really come into his own.

It's interesting to see all the big guys that WWE let go put it together over in Japan: baby Bulldog, Gallows, Archer, and even Bernard going back further. It makes me wonder why they fail so often in the WWE.

although, to be fair, who thought that Lance Hoyt would become one of the most menacing, entertaining big men in the business?

Lol...what? Gallows sucks. Hoyt is dope, but I knew that from his short WWE run. He looked so much better than he ever did in TNA. But Gallows...fuck. Fuck him and Karl Anderson. Egg looking mother fuckers.

D.H Smith hasn't impressed me in NJPW. Doesn't help that he's apart of the gaijin stable that NJPW always seemed obsessed with.
Needs to be on his own and singles action......

D.H Smith hasn't impressed me in NJPW. Doesn't help that he's apart of the gaijin stable that NJPW always seemed obsessed with.
Needs to be on his own and singles action......

I thought D.H Smith was part of K.E.S, which is a part of Suzuki-Gun? If anything I would say Bullet Club is the Gaijin stable

The NJPW World twitter said it'd be up at 2AM Japan time, so that's....2PM PST | 5PM EST | 10PM GMT | 11PM CET - the show's up for viewing now.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Itchin to see it, hate the delay but at least it'll get there.

Guess I should watch Chono/Kobashi 2003.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom