• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NJPW World |OT| Like the WWE Network, but better

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Enjoying your reviews stro, that UWFi/NJPW show is a ton of fun - I think the worst thing about Chono's burial of UWFi was how little he gave Anjo, especially as Chono had put Anjo over just a few months earlier. Anjo's reputation was pretty much ruined after the Choshu match, to the degree that Anjo felt he needed to do something big to regain it - that something was challenging Rickson Gracie at his dojo and getting his face obliterated. Still, Choshu was just getting revenge for the UWF split and Maeda breaking his eye socket. Everything goes back to Maeda being a massive cunt.

*edit, also, that goddamn brainbuster from Hash. Jeeeeeeezus.

Pretty much a literal brain buster.

liger05

Pretty much a literal brain buster.

Such a good brain buster. Classic.

Enjoying your reviews stro, that UWFi/NJPW show is a ton of fun - I think the worst thing about Chono's burial of UWFi was how little he gave Anjo, especially as Chono had put Anjo over just a few months earlier. Anjo's reputation was pretty much ruined after the Choshu match, to the degree that Anjo felt he needed to do something big to regain it - that something was challenging Rickson Gracie at his dojo and getting his face obliterated. Still, Choshu was just getting revenge for the UWF split and Maeda breaking his eye socket. Everything goes back to Maeda being a massive cunt.

Thing is it was always going to result in one way for the UWFI as soon as they went to New Japan. UWFI was on the way out and New Japan held all the aces. If anything Takada has to take a whole heap of blame for failing to build new stars.

Thing is it was always going to result in one way for the UWFI as soon as they went to New Japan. UWFI was on the way out and New Japan held all the aces. If anything Takada has to take a whole heap of blame for failing to build new stars.

Oh yeah, it was always going to end in New Japan's favour - just as it did with the original NJPW/UWF feud. UWFi had a ton of problems that forced them into the situation, it just sucked that Anjo was sent out to be Choshu's sacrificial lamb. New Japan got their use out of Takada and sent him and UWFi on their way, great bit of business from NJPW's perspective.

liger05

Oh yeah, it was always going to end in New Japan's favour - just as it did with the original NJPW/UWF feud. UWFi had a ton of problems that forced them into the situation, it just sucked that Anjo was sent out to be Choshu's sacrificial lamb. New Japan got their use out of Takada and sent him and UWFi on their way, great bit of business from NJPW's perspective.

I cant remember the date or the exact people involved but there was one match involving Yuji Nagata and it was basically NJPW V UWFI with no co-operation at all. Yuji Nagata has a mouse under his eye at the end?

strobogo

Banned
Anjo got BERRIED. No idea how he thought challenging fucking Hickson was going to help him. He should have beat up Inoki or something. Or fuck, challenge one of the lower Gracies. Not friend Hickson.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I cant remember the date or the exact people involved but there was one match involving Yuji Nagata and it was basically NJPW V UWFI with no co-operation at all. Yuji Nagata has a mouse under his eye at the end?

Yuji took a goddamn beating for his company. Poor dude.

I think that might have been Kakihara & Anjo vs Choshu & Nagata from a UWFi show a couple of days after the joint event - Choshu no-sold everything at the start, then tagged in Yuji to get murdered.

liger05

There is a Nagata/Choshu vs Anjo/Tatsuo from September 1995 on NJ World. Could that be it?

Kakihara & Anjo vs Choshu & Nagata from a UWFi show a couple of days after the joint event

Must of been one of those. I just remember the image of Nagata afterwards with this mouse under his eye.

Choshu in these matches was just like 'fuck it, I'm the boss' and does not give a damn about the UWFI guys.

liger05

Probably some stupid turn of events means UFC owns it or something.

Speaking of UWFI anyone remember when Gay Albright lost to Kiyoshi Tamura. It was planned to be Tamura's big big win to propel him to #1 contender and Albright gave him nothing. Tamura was supposed to be in tears afterwards.

Ugh... Jarrett is in NJPW now.
FclcJ46.gif

Watched Takayama vs Nakamura from 2004, weird match and young Nakamura is so ridiculously bland compared to coked-up Swagsuke. Nak gets kicked in the face right at the start, then finds his fighting spirit and hits a flurry of offence before Takayama just powerbombs the shit out of him. Long, slow control segment as Tak knees, stomps and punches Nakamura around the ring. He spends a long time trying to shoot bust Nakamura's forehead open and, although it gets plenty red, he can't make it bleed. He tries for a big-ass lariat, but Nak catches him in the shining triangle - Tak tries to power out, by Shinsuke slaps him in the dick and turns it over into a cross-armbreaker! Takayama reaches the ropes and Shinsuke charges, but gets kneed in the goddamn face again. Tak hits a huge backdrop suplex, followed by a backdrop driver, but Nak hulks up with fighting spirit only to run into another knee strike. Tak hits the deadlift German suplex, but Nakamura rolls it awkwardly into a Kimura to force Takayama to tap. The match was fine, but you could tell the crowd would have appreciated a faster pace and the finish fell kinda flat. Inoki was doing his 'watching disapprovingly from ringside' deal, which I never understood. You watch All Japan tapes and you see Baba clapping and cheering his guys on from the commentary table, Inoki just looks pissed off.

UuVX9jb.gif

vS3pwF6.gif

0IINEpN.gif

So is Okada vs. Tanahashi all that JR is hyping it up to be?

It's pretty much been the centre piece feud for New Japan over the past two years or so - I don't know if it'll go down as a classic in the long run, but all six of their matches have been great so far and two of them were awarded 5 star ratings in the Wrestling Observer. It's generally regarded as one of the best rivalries of the past few years and I'd expect them to go all out at Wrestle Kingdom.

Do you think Yano is bringing back Great Muta as his tag partner again? I heard a few months back Muto wanted to be part of the show somehow.

Mutoh is injured right now. My pick is Riki Choshyu, who was Iizuka's mentor (assuming Iizuka is on the Suzuki-gun team, which he very likely is)

Huh, all the Naoya Ogawa matches have been removed from NJPW World - there weren't terribly many on there to begin with, but no word as to why the few that were there have been taken down. It may be a rights issue.

Aiii

So not worth it
There is now built-in translation on NJPW World, at the bottom of the page on the right you will find the Google Translate button.

This translation appears to be better than the built-in Chrome one, more stuff is translated, including the menu at the top, it remembers your selection, so you should only have to do it once.

NJPW World uploaded the opening VTR for the Road to Tokyo Dome tour and it serves as a good summary of 2014 in New Japan;

Road to Tokyo Dome opening VTR - highlights of 2014

SwDjlKE.gif

The first show on the tour airs live on NJPW World this coming Monday at 7PM JST | 11AM EU | 10AM UK | 5AM EST | 2AM PST and will be up to view on VOD shortly after. Here's the cards for the 3 events being live streamed this month;

NJPW, "ROAD TO TOKYO DOME", 2014.12.15
Ibaraki, Central Park Gymnasium

1. Jushin 'Thunder' Liger, Tiger Mask & Sho Tanaka vs TAKA Michinoku, Taichi & El Desperado
2. Hiroyoshi Tenzan & Satoshi Kojima vs Manabu Nakanishi & BUSHI
3. Toru Yano & Gedo vs Minoru Suzuki & Takashi Iizuka
4. Yuji Nagata, Tetsuya Naito & KUSHIDA vs Hirooki Goto, Katsuyori Shibata & Ryusuke Taguchi
5. Togi Makabe & Tomoaki Honma vs Shinsuke Nakamura & Tomohiro Ishii
6. Hiroshi Tanahashi & Captain New Japan vs Kazuchika Okada & YOSHI-HASHI

NJPW, "ROAD TO TOKYO DOME", 2014.12.19
Tokyo, Korakuen Hall

1. Yohei Komatsu vs Sho Tanaka
2. Jushin 'Thunder' Liger & Tiger Mask vs Taichi & El Desperado
3. Hiroyoshi Tenzan, Satoshi Kojima & Tomoaki Honma vs Yuji Nagata, Manabu Nakanishi & BUSHI
4. Kazushi Sakuraba, Toru Yano & YOSHI-HASHI vs Minoru Suzuki, Takashi Iizuka & TAKA Michinoku
5. Hirooki Goto & Katsuyori Shibata vs Tetsuya Naito & Captain New Japan
6. Special Elimination Match: Hiroshi Tanahashi, Togi Makabe, Kota Ibushi, Ryusuke Taguchi & KUSHIDA vs Kazuhika Okada, Shinsuke Nakamura, Tomohiro Ishii, Jado & Gedo

NJPW, "ROAD TO TOKYO DOME", 2014.12.20
Tokyo, Korakuen Hall

1. Yohei Komatsu vs El Desperado
2. Jushin 'Thunder' Liger & Tiger Mask vs KUSHIDA & BUSHI
3. Hiroyoshi Tenzan, Satoshi Kojima & Ryusuke Taguchi vs Yuji Nagata, Manabu Nakanishi & Captain New Japan
4. Kazushi Sakuraba, YOSHI-HASHI & Jado vs Minoru Suzuki, TAKA Michinoku & Taichi
5. Toru Yano vs Takashi Iizuka
6. Hirooki Goto & Katsuyori Shibata vs Tetsuya Naito & Tomoaki Honma
7. Hiroshi Tanahashi, Togi Makabe & Kota Ibushi vs Kazuchika Okada, Shinsuke Nakamura & Tomohiro Ishii

Monday's show looks the least interesting, but Makabe & Honma vs Nakamura & Ishii should be a lot of fun. The elimination match on the 2nd show should be good, while the 3rd show has Goto & Shibata vs Naito & Honma which I really like the look of, and that 6-man tag main event.

There is now built-in translation on NJPW World, at the bottom of the page on the right you will find the Google Translate button.

This translation appears to be better than the built-in Chrome one, more stuff is translated, including the menu at the top, it remembers your selection, so you should only have to do it once.

Yeah, it's still not perfect but definitely better than it was. At least it translates the menus and sign-up process.

First live show airs 10 hours from now, hopefully it goes off without a hitch. Card doesn't look all that exciting, keep in mind it is a house show, but I'm looking forward to Makabe & Honma vs Nakamura & Ishii. Captain in the main event though, yeeesh.

Is there any bot like the dude from Reddit made for the Network to show updates?

Don't think so, hopefully someone will make one once they start making some significant updates.

ghostmind

The Suzukigun side of the 8-man tag at Wk9 has been revealed:

Takashi Iizuka, Shelton X Benjamin, Lance Archer & Davey Boy Smith Jr.

vs.

Toru Yano & 3 unknown participants

The stream for Road to Tokyo Dome is live, show starts in 10 minutes;

http://njpwworld.com/lp/l_live_1_1

has there been any updates?

Nope, we're only two weeks in though. Hopefully there'll be at least one update before Christmas.

The Suzukigun side of the 8-man tag at Wk9 has been revealed:

Takashi Iizuka, Shelton X Benjamin, Lance Archer & Davey Boy Smith Jr.

vs.

Toru Yano & 3 unknown participants

Huh, 3 secret partners? That's pretty cool, wonder who it'll be...

Aiii

So not worth it
Ready for my first time watching New Japan live, hopefully stream goes off without a hitch.

I started trying to learn some Japanese last week, so I look forward to hearing one or two familiar words every few minutes and completely misunderstanding what they're saying because every word has like 10 different meanings depending on context.

Here we go! Stream seems to be working great. Bear in mind this is a house show, so don't be expecting any amazing quality matches.

I started trying to learn some Japanese last week, so I look forward to hearing one or two familiar words every few minutes and completely misunderstanding what they're saying because every word has like 10 different meanings depending on context.

Nice, I've picked up a bit here and there - like 'abunai', meaning 'danger' or 'look out'. Usually screamed by commentators when someone's about to get hit with a weapon, or Iizuka's rampaging through the crowd.

Aiii

So not worth it
Yeah, I'm at the basics now, so generally not understanding that much yet, especially at the speed they talk at, but baby steps. :D

I see they're still cutting out entrance music on live feeds, that's a shame. They should really either buy the rights to the music or change the entrance music to something they have the rights to instead, because this just sucks.

I presume they'll still dub over 'fake' themes for the bigger shows, not worth it on a house show though. And yeah, I really wish they'd acquire the copyright for all the entrances.

Aiii

So not worth it
Is this a dark match or something? Why is there no announcing? Or is there just no announcing on these at all?

No commentary because it's a real house show, this is the only place it's being shown - the next two are Samurai TV and TV Asahi broadcasts, respectively, so they will have commentary (and dubbed themes, probably).

Usual Suzuki-gun match, I like Despy's finisher and Tanaka showed some good fire. No idea why Taichi would try and unmask Liger, given that Kishin Liger lurks underneath.

Aiii

So not worth it
Maybe he brought a rag and some water and unmasking was just the first step to demasking Liger-san :D

It's actually pretty cool that they're broadcasting legit house shows. WWE Network should do this (they can't even if they wanted to, since their house shows give away spot-for-spot PPV matches most times).

Aiii

So not worth it
So far so good as far as stream quality goes, even though this is hardly an adequate test given how not even a fraction of the people are probably watching.

Still, streaming in HQ has been flawless so far.

-edit: "Come on you motherfucker" -Well, that's certainly not PG.

Aiii

So not worth it
Nakamura and Ishii are just about the two best things in New Japan, thus, this is the best tag-team on the show.

Fun main event, nothing special though. Okada & Tanahashi have such great chemistry in the ring together, than whole sequence with the Rainmaker tease was really smooth, can't wait for their match at Wrestle Kingdom. Good to see how YOSHI's progressed as well, seems to have a bit more purpose these days and, as such, seems to give more of a damn.

Just watched that 'ROAD TO TOKYO DOME' video and I am WAY pumped for - a. now having access to all of those matches, but b. being able to watch the Tokyo Dome show without waiting for a download or a DVD-R copy.

I just wish Dragon Gate had a similar service...that, and Toryumon, were my jam in my Tape/DVD trader days.

I just wish Dragon Gate had a similar service...that, and Toryumon, were my jam in my Tape/DVD trader days.

I'd love to see this (although I think the Toryumon stuff would be hard to get on there, Ultimo Dragon still owns the rights). I've always watched Dragon Gate here and there, but never really followed it until the last year or so and there's a TON of stuff I've missed over the years.

Undoubtedly digital streaming is the future, would be great if more puroresu companies jumped on board.

Aiii

So not worth it
I'd love to see this (although I think the Toryumon stuff would be hard to get on there, Ultimo Dragon still owns the rights). I've always watched Dragon Gate here and there, but never really followed it until the last year or so and there's a TON of stuff I've missed over the years.

Undoubtedly digital streaming is the future, would love it if more puroresu companies jumped on board.

The problem is that there's only so much money to go around, going to be hard to convince people to sub to three or more at the same time I guess.

Xater

So the streaming for this was overall good? I'll watch the next bigger show and skip this house show I think.

Aiii

So not worth it
Watched the whole thing in HQ and not a single problem. So far so good, still, it wasn't very busy I suspect so it's not really saying anything.

Have had plenty of stuttering in HQ mode in backlog content the first few weeks, so I'm not yet convinced of the quality of the Wrestle Kingdom stream, but we'll see.

although I think the Toryumon stuff would be hard to get on there, Ultimo Dragon still owns the rights

As recently as this Summer, DG released a DVD set of all the Kobe World Hall shows (including the TMon shows), so I think it MIGHT be possible.

But, as Aiii mentioned, speaking as someone with Netflix, Hulu, WWE Network AND NJPW World accounts...is there a space for another $10/mo?

strobogo

Banned
The only thing I've really watched this year was G1 stuff. So I decided I'd watch the whole year before WK9. I'm up to the start of Super Juniors.

Some thoughts:

I've turned the corner on Naito and Goto. I do hate Goto's reversal sequence, though. I do love him and Shibata's shared love of knocking the shit out of people.

I am starting to enjoy Ishii, but mostly when he's in the ring against juniors. I don't want to see him against a bigger guy or Shibata. I like his style against really fast flying dudes. He and Naito are a good pairing because they are so different. And I like seeing Naito get hit in his ugly fish face.

Bullet Club...fuck the Bullet Club. AJ is the only dude I want to watch in the whole group.

The c-tier Gracies are GARBAGE. Absolutely terrible. They don't even look good doing BJJ in matches.

They desperately need new junior tag teams. How many times have they done a Bucks/Hooligans/Time Splitters variation in the past 2 years?

Honma is okay in short doses in tag matches. Unfortunately, 50% of tag matches on NJ cards are 100% skippable.

Yano is awful. His feud with Suzuki is awful. Everything surrounding him is awful.

The c-tier Gracies are GARBAGE. Absolutely terrible. They don't even look good doing BJJ in matches.

Rolles looked like he could've been worth a damn with a year or two's pro-wrestling training, but Daniel was the drizzling shits. He looked perpetually afraid of being hurt or hurting someone.

They desperately need new junior tag teams. How many times have they done a Bucks/Hooligans/Time Splitters variation in the past 2 years?

They have added the Bucks & reDRagon to the rotation, plus the occasional TAKA & Taichi match, but I agree - I'd like to see them bring in some of the NOAH guys, some good teams there with Kenou & Ohara, Ogawa & Sabre Jr, Ishimori & Kotoge, etc.

Yano is awful. His feud with Suzuki is awful. Everything surrounding him is awful.

Yano pulls maybe one good match out of his ass every so often, but he's fine in small doses - unfortunately the Suzuki feud has a) been never ending and b) is a complete waste of Suzuki.

For a good Yano match, check out him vs Okada from the 2013 NJ Cup;

http://njpwworld.com/p/s_series_00205_1_2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom