• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NJPW World |OT| Like the WWE Network, but better

Status
Not open for further replies.

ghostmind

No matches with Karl are fun. FUCK Karl Anderson. Doughy egg shaped asshole.

Karl has become doughy-er in the last year or so, I'll give you that.

Speaking of doughy, can we PLEASE keep Yano away from Suzuki for the entirety of 2015? Those two need to start seeing other people.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Karl has become doughy-er in the last year or so, I'll give you that.

Speaking of doughy, can we PLEASE keep Yano away from Suzuki for the entirety of 2015? Those two need to start seeing other people.

I wish. Best time for Yano is the G1. He gets so many surprise wins, and I love seeing his noble brain struggle with others.

Hah, listening to the recent Observer podcast with AJ Styles, he said he loved working against Honma but when he actually hit the Kokeshi he hit it so hard AJ's sure he cracked his sternum. Also sounds like he's planning to make New Japan his home for the foreseeable future, aims to be wrestling for another five years or so. He said he was surprised by the response for the G1 match with Suzuki, as was Suzuki himself who remarked at all the comments he was getting from western fans. He pointed to the match with Karl as one of his favourites of the tournament.

Anywho, watched Muta vs Power Warrior from the '97 Tokyo Dome show. Really fun match, Muta was so great when he was mobile and Kensuke was just coming into his own at this point. Some gifs;

2cYJvLC.gif

VPbMgMr.gif

7yUB7zU.gif

fEvmsuR.gif

The next Road to Tokyo Dome show is live on NJPW World in a little under 9 hours from now, here's the card;

NJPW, "ROAD TO TOKYO DOME", 2014/12/19
Korakuen Hall, Tokyo

1. Sho Tanaka vs Yohei Komatsu
2. Jushin 'Thunder' Liger & Tiger Mask vs Taichi & El Desperado
3. Hiroyoshi Tenzan, Satoshi Kojima & Tomoaki Honma vs Yuji Nagata, Manabu Nakanishi & BUSHI
4. Kazushi Sakuraba, Toru Yano & YOSHI-HASHI vs Minoru Suzuki, Takashi Iizuka & TAKA Michinoku
5. Hirooki Goto & Katsuyori Shibata vs Tetsuya Naito & Captain New Japan
6. Special 10-Man Elimination Tag: Hiroshi Tanahashi, Togi Makabe, Kota Ibushi, Ryusuke Taguchi & KUSHIDA vs Kazuchika Okada, Shinsuke Nakamura, Tomohiro Ishii, Jado & Gedo

Few good looking matches there, should be a step above the house show from earlier in the week as it's a Korakuen show and being aired on Samurai TV. Looking forward to the young lions facing off again in the opener and Meiyu Tag vs Naito & Captain could be fun, but the draw's obviously the main event. Elimination tags are always fun and it's Jado's first match back from injury. Worth noting that eliminations are by pinfall, submission or being thrown over the top rope, which often confuses some people not to familiar with Japanese wrestling.

Eh, all Jado's there for is to do the Flair flop, lock in the Crossface of Jado and get eliminated. Gedo can still go on occasion and they're both still very popular with the Korakuen crowd, no problem seeing them in the main event, especially as it's an elimination match.

The show on the 20th is probably more what you're looking for, the last tag match of the year is usually a great lead in to the main events at the Tokyo Dome, so it's Tana, Makabe & Ibushi vs Okada, Nak & Ishii. Also, Shibata & Goto vs Naito & Honma, which should be fun.

strobogo

Banned
Eh, all Jado's there for is to do the Flair flop, lock in the Crossface of Jado and get eliminated. Gedo can still go on occasion and they're both still very popular with the Korakuen crowd, no problem seeing them in the main event, especially as it's an elimination match.

The show on the 20th is probably more what you're looking for, the last tag match of the year is usually a great lead in to the main events at the Tokyo Dome, so it's Tana, Makabe & Ibushi vs Okada, Nak & Ishii. Also, Shibata & Goto vs Naito & Honma, which should be fun.

Bash Brothers kicking the shit out of Naito sounds very fun.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Naito and Honma are going to look like two abused kids after the show. Damn.

ghostmind

BUSHI has an "acute epidural hematoma, spinal cord concussion, the 12th thoracic vertebra fracture".

Recovery is estimated at 6 months.

click

Yano's mystery partners for WK9 have been revealed; Naomichi Marufuji & TMDK (Shane Haste & Mikey Nicholls) from Pro-Wrestling NOAH!

G6jNFwO.gif
IpD07vm.gif

Sad to hear about BUSHI's injury, hope he can be back for the Super Jr's.

Matches confirmed for the Big Pro-Wrestling Festival on 01/03 and New Year's Dash on 01/05;

01/03 - NJPW: Big Pro-Wrestling Festival;

. Jushin 'Thunder' Liger, Sho Tanaka & Yohei Komatsu vs El Desperado, Taichi & TAKA Michinoku
. Yuji Nagata & Tiger Mask vs Manabu Nakanishi & Captain New Japan

01/05 - NJPW: New Year's Dash in Korakuen Hall;

. NWA Jr. Heavyweight Title: Jushin 'Thunder' Liger (c) vs El Desperado

Really looking forward to Despy vs Liger, shame there wasn't space for it on the WK9 card, but it should get more time this way. Both these shows are being streamed live on NJPW World, incidentally.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Nakanishi doesn't have a WK9 match, does he? Poor dude needs a rest.

There's a short Gotch vs Fujiwara exhibition match on NJPW World, not very long, but a good show of Gotch's skill - loved the finish;

T0gODcA.gif

2wJ1bZx.gif

Nakanishi doesn't have a WK9 match, does he? Poor dude needs a rest.

He'll probably be on the pre-show, throwing few dudes out of the ring in the New Japan Battle Royale before taking an awkward bump over the top-rope. Or perhaps he wins the thing.

Hey guys just signed upto the NJPW World. What shows should I check out leading upto WK9?

Definitely watch the last match on the Road to Tokyo Dome show from Saturday, does a good job hyping up the three big singles matches on the WK9 card;

http://njpwworld.com/p/s_series_00242_3_1

Also, Power Struggle from November set up a lot of the Dome matches;

http://njpwworld.com/pg/s_series_00235_1

Lastly, check out AJ Styles vs Tanahashi from King of Pro-Wrestling; http://njpwworld.com/pg/s_series_00234_1 and Okada vs Nakamura from the G1 Finals to see how the WK9 main event was set; http://njpwworld.com/pg/s_series_00232_12

Nope, HQ is as good as it gets, unfortunately. It's a lot better than the streaming options we had previously, though (Ustream & NicoVideo) and certainly better than anything you'll find on youtube/dailymotion.

New Japan confirmed that there'll be 15 participants in the pre-show battle royale at WK9, probably involving guys not on the main card like Nagata, Nakanishi, El Desperado, TAKA, Taichi, Liger, Tiger Mask, the Young Lions, etc. Maybe one or two surprises, Super Strong Machine's annual appearance most likely.

Aiii

So not worth it
New Japan Pro Wrestling’s “NJPWWorld” on demand service achieved over 10,000 subscribers in its first 3 weeks of service, according to a report at Enuhito.com.

Very nice start, their goal was 30k in the first year.

Here's the live streaming line-up for January & February;

qhiUulN.jpg

Awesome to see we're getting both big New Beginning PPVs in February, as well as the Road to New Beginning show from Korakuen Hall on 02/01.

Yep, just the final 2 nights of the tour from Korakuen Hall, but they're the biggest shows of the tour and should have the best matches. Really can't wait for those shows, Fantasticamania is always a ton of fun - there's a couple of matches confirmed already;

. Atlantis vs Ultimo Guerrero
. La Sombra vs Volador Jr.

Aiii

So not worth it
January is going to be an amazing month, NJPW World is saving wrestling from what is sure to be a disappointing Rumble and subsequent Mania season.

tm24

Yep, just the final 2 nights of the tour from Korakuen Hall, but they're the biggest shows of the tour and should have the best matches. Really can't wait for those shows, Fantasticamania is always a ton of fun - there's a couple of matches confirmed already;

. Atlantis vs Ultimo Guerrero
. La Sombra vs Volador Jr.
The first match is gonna suck and the second match is also going to suck since it will be the samn damn match they've always had. Give me Barbaro Cavernario vs Despy!

10k subscribers for NJPW World after 3 weeks, TV Asahi are predicting 40k by WK9. Also, regarding the ticket sales for WK9 it looks like almost 35,000 tickets have been sold in advance of the event. That's bigger than advance sales last year and there should be a lot of walk-in interest on the day of the show, so it's looking like the biggest Dome audience in quite a few years.

Meltzer says Desperado vs Liger is building to a mask vs mask match, but the NWA Jr. title match on 01/05 is only the beginning of their feud. They were going to pull the trigger on this feud last year, if anyone recalls - Liger challenged Despy to a mask vs mask match, but Despy backed out and it wasn't mentioned again. The fact that they're going ahead with it now means they think Despy's ready and maybe that Liger's considering retiring either the Liger character or from the ring altogether.

Also, a bit of info from Meltzer regarding the relationship between NOAH & NJPW;

"There is more than a working agreement between New Japan and NOAH. Whatever the actual story is has been kept quiet, but we can confirm that there is a very significant financial relationship between the two companies, which also explains more New Japan talent working on the NOAH big shows, with the idea of using guys who are big stars and can still go like Liger, Kojima and Nagata, who really just fill out the cards in New Japan, and having them be headliners on NOAH shows like Nagata was for much of last year. There is scheduled to be a lot more talent crossovers between the two promotions, with the Dome show being just the start."

Gawd, I'd love it if they could get NOAH's back catalogue on NJPW World. Even if this is just more talent exchanges, that'd be cool too - New Japan's jr. division could use a boost and NOAH have a lot of good jr's at present.

Lastly, regarding the New Japan Rumble on the pre-show before WK9; there will be 15 entrants, each coming out a minute after the last and the likely list is; Yohei Komatsu, Sho Tanaka, Liger, Tiger Mask, Taichi, Michinoku, Desperado, Nagata, Nakanishi, Gedo, Jado and Captain New Japan, leaving 3 spots for surprises or outsiders. Presumably Super Strong Machine will be one of those, as the crowd always loves seeing him.

The first match is gonna suck and the second match is also going to suck since it will be the samn damn match they've always had. Give me Barbaro Cavernario vs Despy!

Ultimo was pretty great on the last tour, I have faith in him! And yeah, they aren't the most exciting of matches - it's always best seeing the New Japan guys mixing it up with the luchadors.

tm24

Ultimo was pretty great on the last tour, I have faith in him! And yeah, they aren't the most exciting of matches - it's always best seeing the New Japan guys mixing it up with the luchadors.
Yeah but you haven't been jaded by Ultimo like I have.

Hope they do some fun tags. I need to re-watch last year's Volador vs Mascara Dorada match. That was a fun match

Has anyone found a way to watch an event from beginning to end without having to go to each individual match's page? It's not the biggest issue in the world, but it would definitely be convenient.

I have the same question. Want to watch the entire Super J Cup show, but it looks like I'll have to watch each individual match to do that. Is that how this service works (total n00b, btw!).

I have the same question. Want to watch the entire Super J Cup show, but it looks like I'll have to watch each individual match to do that. Is that how this service works (total n00b, btw!).

Yeah, you can only watch the matches individually at the moment, although the new shows that air live have been uploaded in either one or two big chunks. Hopefully they'll implement some sort of playlist feature in the future so you can seamlessly watch all the matches from specific shows, but the service is still only a few weeks old so we don't really know what their plans are beyond the live shows scheduled.

Yeah, you can only watch the matches individually at the moment, although the new shows that air live have been uploaded in either one or two big chunks. Hopefully they'll implement some sort of playlist feature in the future so you can seamlessly watch all the matches from specific shows, but the service is still only a few weeks old so we don't really know what their plans are beyond the live shows scheduled.

Cool! Thanks for the reply. Really digging it so far, mostly thanks to your AMAZING spreadsheet.

I just watched the Sting/Muta vs. Steiner Bros. match from '92 and was impressed how awesome it was, even by today's standards. Super fast-paced match with some brutal suplexes from the Steiner Bros. (poor Muta!).

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Cool! Thanks for the reply. Really digging it so far, mostly thanks to your AMAZING spreadsheet.

I just watched the Sting/Muta vs. Steiner Bros. match from '92 and was impressed how awesome it was, even by today's standards. Super fast-paced match with some brutal suplexes from the Steiner Bros. (poor Muta!).

It's a fantastic goddamn match. Great shit.

strobogo

Banned
I think Steiners vs Hase/Sasaki was better and more brutal. It was at the first WCW/NJPW joint show.

Are those ads I see on the site now, Sunny?

Hex

Banned
Damn you GAF, I could not hold out anymore.
I needed my Nakamura fix.

Bah muted entrances are irritating.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I think Steiners vs Hase/Sasaki was better and more brutal. It was at the first WCW/NJPW joint show.

Are those ads I see on the site now, Sunny?

I hope so! I submitted them earlier for the first time. See if we can't make the site pay for itself.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
You wanna talk stiff Sasaki lariats?
kensukelariat47sxa.gif

You can literally see blood spray

The service could really stand to use a way to let me buffer the match all at once so I don't have to worry about random bufferings though. Feels like the bar and my position are always neck and neck.

Aiii

So not worth it
After the first week or so I haven't had any buffering issues to be honest.

Been watching a lot of Devitt matches I've missed over the years, what a talent.

somedevil

After the first week or so I haven't had any buffering issues to be honest.

Been watching a lot of Devitt matches I've missed over the years, what a talent.

Still surprised they never gave him the title and kinda funny that they gave to Styles after he left for the WWE.

I wonder if they ever offered him the title they would of led him to think about staying.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Still surprised they never gave him the title and kinda funny that they gave to Styles after he left for the WWE.

I wonder if they ever offered him the title they would of led him to think about staying.

That was the rumor. Which is why AJ got it so quickly.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
There's a decent amount of Mutoh and Hashimoto matches, but where's all the Chono stuff? I only found 3 matches and they're relatively recent.

also enjoyed the Steiners vs Hase/Mutoh. Mutoh mocks Rick and Rick kisses a random woman in the crowd on the cheek.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
A real Mutoh-y spot
rickmutohmbslf.gif

People should check out Hase & Mutoh vs The Steiners. It reaffirms my opinion that the Steiners are still the best tag team of all time and no one's topped them. I'm not even a huge Hase fan, but he's still pretty solid in this. Even nearly features a Screwdriver. Which I was getting ready to mark for. There's a really great
double Frankensteiner
spot too that I wish was timed a little bit better, but it's still awesome.
Use the tag list; http://njpwworld.com/tag - there's 41 Chono matches on there at the moment, including one with the Great Khali of all people;

http://njpwworld.com/search/tag/man_91

Weird. The tag I found was three matches, one being with Misawa.

And no Brock either. Which is a bummer because I wanted to rewatch Lesnar vs Bernard.
You should check out Norton vs Hawk, Bootaaay and see if you like it enough to put it on the recommended viewing list. It's not a 5 star classic, but it does an amazing job of making Norton look like a fucking monster, and he generates so much heat with Animal at ringside. It feels like they legit don't like each other.
And Bernard vs Suzuki. Because it's great.

Anyone know if I can watch WK9 on Roku? I don't have cable and I'd hate to watch this on my cracked computer screen

(Also say AJ Styles let me hold the IWGP Heavyweight Championship in my hands at ROH Field of Honor. Markout moment of my life)

Anyone know if I can watch WK9 on Roku? I don't have cable and I'd hate to watch this on my cracked computer screen

I'm not sure if there's a Roku channel available, perhaps contact GFW on twitter and ask them?

https://twitter.com/GFWWrestling

You should check out Norton vs Hawk, Bootaaay and see if you like it enough to put it on the recommended viewing list. It's not a 5 star classic, but it does an amazing job of making Norton look like a fucking monster, and he generates so much heat with Animal at ringside. It feels like they legit don't like each other.
And Bernard vs Suzuki. Because it's great.

Nice, I'll add both of them to the watch list - sure I've seen Bernard vs Suzuki before, but haven't checked out as much Norton as I'd like to. His match with Muta where he blades himself half to death is ridiculous, so much blood.

TheBear

Does NJPW have the rights to UWF-i's video library? I thought they did some cross promotions.
Also is there no Lesnar matches? Is NJPW adding stuff as they go along or are there matches they aren't allowed to show any more?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom