• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NL: NoE had asked Criterion for a take on F-Zero U [Up: Alex Ward Comments]

Chippiez

Banned
The last F-Zero for consoles developer in-house was released over 15 years themselves. There's a very large chance that most of the people involved in that game have either moved on or are working on very different projects.

Devs who love a series can continue the series; even if they have never worked on a title in the series. Case-in-point; Deus Ex: HR... Not as good as the original, but still, much much better than the sequel Specter and crew put together. I don't think a single team member on HR came from Ion.

Sendou

So, I'm not sure how bigger companies handle it, but I highly doubt Nintendo can just go to any developer and ask 'Hey, can you spend the next 3-4 months to work on a F-Zero pitch that we might totally reject?' and expect developers to jump on that. I know I wouldn't.

If Nintendo pays for the pitch, then why pay for multiple pitches from different developers? That's probably super goddamn costly right from the start and I doubt publishers want to become pregnant with a product before they even know if it'll be any good.

Yeah you're absolutely right in that. I still think it would be best for them to approach companies that are likely busy (companies that make good games often are) even with the risk that they get turned down rather than take whoever is available. I also don't think getting Criterion to make F-Zero was as unlikely as Nirolak suggested above. Of course it's not like I have a good grasp of how these things work.

Would creating a decent pitch take 3 to 4 months? I know a vertical slice for E3 to be shown next to your new console is quite the effort but what about something that Nintendo could take a look at and decide whether this company has a right idea or not?

Like it's a risk for any company but one that comes with a decent reward if you're confident in your work.

Madness

Guys like CliffyB are always asked why they love Nintendo so much but never developed a single game for Nintendo etc. And they always say Nintendo never came to them once, never called them or tried to build a relationship. For a long time, Nintendo felt it could do it all, now they're struggling because they're being left behind in the post-HD era. They wanted an unprecedented partnership with EA but then made a console that couldn't even run their newest game engine Frostbite without reducing major assets that make the engine impressive for next-gen etc.

Sendou

Guys like CliffyB are always asked why they love Nintendo so much but never developed a single game for Nintendo etc. And they always say Nintendo never came to them once, never called them or tried to build a relationship. For a long time, Nintendo felt it could do it all, now they're struggling because they're being left behind in the post-HD era. They wanted an unprecedented partnership with EA but then made a console that couldn't even run their newest game engine Frostbite without reducing major assets that make the engine impressive for next-gen etc.

This has little to do with the topic at hand but Frostbite 3 does run on PS3 and Xbox 360.

Imagine if development had started but the EA meltdown had canceled it...I'm better off it didn't get off the drawing board (though even drawing board sounds a lot further than this thing even got).

just wait for the E3 2016 announcement : f-zero : bounty hunter adventures, a totally cool spinoff with platforming and FPS elements, also 4 player roller hockey minigame
captain falcon will even make an appearance, and there will be a mission with black shadow
Someone doesn't like a certain Metroid game...I'll be a bit more original. F-Zero is back...in Musou form! What? Guys, you all begged and screamed for a Captain Falcon Brawler and you've got your wish and now you're holding the pitchforks....must you be so fickle?

Just Remake F-Zero GX HD.... Add online, a track editor, youtube upload and 2 dlcs packs. Thats all the F-Zero the world would need forever.

Or ask Sumo Digital to do it

jwj442

So do we have any idea what happened with this "unprecedented partnership"? There was obviously a huge falling out (they don't even have EA Sports now). The Wii U has struggled for a lot of reasons, but I wonder how much has to do with things going south with EA.

JoeM86

So do we have any idea what happened with this "unprecedented partnership"? There was obviously a huge falling out (they don't even have EA Sports now). The Wii U has struggled for a lot of reasons, but I wonder how much has to do with things going south with EA.

Wasn't the consensus that EA wanted Nintendo to run Origin as its online backend, but Nintendo were against that as it put EA in a power for netcode for third parties?

Was that debunked?

Oregano

Sure, but it's like asking Treyarch to make Metroid.

You know the answer before you start.

Nintendo seems to prefer working with those teams for some reason. Hell they had the Kingdom Hearts and FF MMO team develop Mario Sports games for them.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I think it's pretty clear at this point that there's a lot we don't know about what went behind the scenes with EA and Nintendo and the "unprecedented partnership". We probably never will fully know. So maybe in that light it made complete sense? Worth noting that after Most Wanted Criterion pretty much stopped making Need for Speed and moved onto a new IP. It's not going to be a guaranteed seller. The least F-Zero would have been is guaranteed revenue.

This is only half true.

When Most Wanted was finished, of Criterion's 100 staff, 85 of them turned into Ghost Games UK to work on Need For Speed and assisting with games like Battlefield Hardline and the Frostbite Engine.

The remaining 15 were given free reign to figure out one of EA's new IPs as a reward for doing so well with reviving Need For Speed, and once they figured something out, they would progressively have a full team hired up to make it.

They'd essentially be trying to hire someone the size of an indie team anyway, that might not even have enough resources to make the full game, and that team had the ability to make whatever they wanted at EA to pioneer a new IP. Obviously EA would want them to focus on that instead, since they get 100% of the revenue from that scenario and can put it on any platform they feel is relevant.

Xiao Hu

Those kind of deals and collaborations are reason why the western branches of Nintendo need more independence/power.

Sendou

This is only half true.

When Most Wanted was finished, of Criterion's 100 staff, 85 of them turned into Ghost Games UK to work on Need For Speed and assisting with games like Battlefield Hardline and the Frostbite Engine.

The remaining 15 were given free reign to figure out one of EA's new IPs as a reward for doing so well with reviving Need For Speed, and once they figured something out, they would progressively have a full team hired up to make it.

They'd essentially be trying to hire someone the size of an indie team anyway, that might not even have enough resources to make the full game, and that team had the ability to make whatever they wanted at EA to pioneer a new IP. Obviously EA would want them to focus on that instead, since they get 100% of the revenue from that scenario and can put it on any platform they feel is relevant.

Oh that's interesting. Never heard about it like that.

What is it then?

Absolutely nothing. Here's a list of times Nintendo has teased like that:

bumpkin

I'd be happy with an HD remaster of F-Zero GX with the AX content, online play and maybe some new Wii U content.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Oh that's interesting. Never heard about it like that.

Some of that team did eventually leave (including Alex Ward) to make indie games instead of ramping up into another AAA studio over the next few years. That's probably a more realistic studio arrangement to go after.

That said, they're busy making a new take on sports gaming and a Burnout: Crash Mode type game, so they are likely at capacity by a good margin. They're also using UE4 so their toolset isn't a great match as it stands. I still think someone who does lots of contract work like Sumo makes the most sense, since working on F-Zero certainly beats doing last-gen versions of Forza when you're just getting paid operating costs either way.

moomoo14

Profound sadness. I really hope that Nintendo is still trying to reach out to other such 3rd parties right now so that NX doesn't have the problems the Wii U had.

Peltz

I think that ship has sailed. Since then two Criterion's co-founders have left the studio, they have cut the number of staff members and we have even heard comments about them not working on racing games anymore.

EA has owned them since 2004. Probably wanted to prioritize their own IP over Nintendo's.

F-Zero would have been relegated to one system vs. NFS could be legally ported anywhere. It's no wonder that they went with the latter.... much to my chagrin.

That said, they're busy making a new take on sports gaming and a Burnout: Crash Mode type game, so they are likely at capacity by a good margin. They're also using UE4 so their toolset isn't a great match as it stands. I still think someone who does lots of contract work like Sumo makes the most sense, since working on F-Zero certainly beats doing last-gen versions of Forza when you're just getting paid operating costs either way.

Wait... Criterion's new game will be using UE4? That's quite surprising considering almost every other EA studio is working on Frostbite - is there a particular reason they're not using Frostbite?

Unless you mean Three Fields, but they've not yet announced what they're working on, have they?

Peltz

Just Remake F-Zero GX HD.... Add online, a track editor, youtube upload and 2 dlcs packs. Thats all the F-Zero the world would need forever.

Or ask Sumo Digital to do it

Imagine F-Zero with a track editor that was as intuitive as Super Mario Maker....

Now that you mention it... how was the track editor in F-Zero Expansion? I'm expecting a post from Madao in 3, 2, 1.....

disap.ed

Seeing as Nintendo was asking around for someone to do an F-Zero game, I wonder why they never talked with Shin'en in updating Fast Racing Neo more F-Zero like?

Either way I'm just glad Fast Racing Neo exists if it plays good once it comes out. It can hopefully fill that hole in my gaming heart that the death of Wipeout and Fzero have left me.

Fast Racing Neo is just the test run for Shin'ens F-Zero NX

Believe

PetrCobra

I always got the impression that AX had content (courses or cups) that the GC version didn't.

There is an additional cup in GX that you can unlock by winning all cups on the highest difficulty, and this cup contains the AX courses. I know because I did it (but it's been a long time so maybe I got some of the details wrong).

Could be that there is more content in the AX than what was in the AX cup in the GX version. Maybe someone here knows.

muteki

If only Nintendo had enough people to make their own games so they wouldn't have to go around begging other people to do it.

Top Bottom