• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Man's Sky Gameplay Trailer (PSX)

DrLazy

I slowed down the video to watch the ship enter and exit the atmosphere. I wanted to see how they 'faked it'. But really I don't think they faked it. For that alone, I need to play this game. Soooooo cool to fly between planets! Game is amazing.

To the critics: Not everything needs to be about violence and loot. This game is not destiny. They're attempting to reward you for the joy of discovery and exploration, not some semi-gambling loot system brain fuck. I LOVE IT

That should be the No Man Sky panel in a few hours, I was trying to get the time as well.

How many hours till the show?

It's at 9 PM PST, so 7 hours from now. Dunno if it'll have a stream though.

Edit: Here's the PSX schedule for today:

15761432097_8f88aa717b_c.jpg

Based on the wording on the PS Blog it sounds like it'll be streamed on Twitch.

legacyzero

Banned
GAME OF THE FOREVER

This is me at the universe scene.

23cFh.gif

LOL Yep

To the critics: Not everything needs to be about violence and loot. This game is not destiny. They're attempting to reward you for the joy of discovery and exploration, not some semi-gambling loot system brain fuck. I LOVE IT

Exactly. I'm so fucking sick of '500000000 XP!!", "LEVEL UUUUUP!!", "BLOODY SCREEN!! SO REALLLL!", bullshit in games. This is so refreshing.

kyser73

I'm not going to go through his post and agree or disagree with everything, but he is right in that procedural generation is an old trick (although many clueless journalists lately have portrayed it as being something new). And he is also right in that procedural generation in itself should be the one of the easiest parts of making NMS.

"Elite" from 1984, 30 years ago, was going to have 282 TRILLION GALAXIES. They decided to dial it back to 8 single galaxies for playability reasons.. So you see, the "near-infinite" number isn't really that impressive in itself, it's what you do with it that counts. Some people are just asking to see more of the game part.

Got a link to an interview where Braben or Bell said that?

No, I'm fascinated reading all these comments. Obviously I'm coming off as 'a little' too aggressive here, but my bullshit meter is going crazy at this point when it comes to this game and the way the developers kinda misled gamers and the press about it is really mind boggling.

Whenever Molyneux talks crazy about his game ideas, people are skeptical and want to see what he's actually doing. And here we see the same kinda case. If they're making Space Proteus, great, then that's what you're doing and there's value in that. Lots of people will still dig it. But they've gone out saying this and that, yet they've never SHOWN anything.

To me, this whole thing isn't any different to this video here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=00gAbgBu8R4

And we know what Notch said about it back then. I apologize if I'm coming across like an asshole in this thread, but at this point, I'm just hugely skeptical about what they're doing and how they're intentionally or unintentionally misleading gamers and the press about what they're working on.

I can only speak for myself, but the main reason I'm excited and probably more biased about NMS is because they are finally putting the pieces together and combining all of this existing tech and ideas into a single product. I'm also a space sim fan, and generally love the old romantic sci-fi ideas. Apart from some very old C64 or PC DOS games, I haven't seen such a game in a very very long time, so even if NMS doesn't deliver on the gameplay side, we'll still have a working example of a seamless sandbox universe for other devs to improve on.

I think it's a unique mixture of combined tech, an indie team and the right timing for such a sci-fi idea that's making people excited.

That being said, I can agree with you on many accounts, since Hello Games haven't shown a lot of other gameplay mechanics. Murray said even at the beginning that he wasn't really sure they should've made the original reveal and that is probably true. They've revealed the game a bit too early and have repeatedly shown mostly the same things with slight variations. I was honestly expecting something more from this last trailer and it was really obsolete. Maybe they'll show something more in that presentation, who knows.

I can see how you're seeing this lack of other footage as just simply hiding stuff or that the features they've talked about won't even be in the game in the end, and who knows, as a worst case scenario, this very well may turn out to be true. I doubt it myself, but I admit I'm biased to the very concept of what they're doing.

I am sure however that the game will most certainly be less than what most people think. It will most certainly have the drastic popup (it was there from the very first trailer btw), the gameplay mechanics will be very simple and arcade-y (as they've repeatedly mentioned) and a significant number of people will find it boring after a while. I'm fine with that. The hype around the game might not warrant that, but there it is. I'm glad there's a hype for a space sim exploration sci-fi title at all, but some people will definitely be disappointed.

But even with all of this said, we don't really know if all of the gameplay features won't be in the game. They may very well all be there, and I'm saying this because these features aren't that impossible to pull off at all, regardless of whether they're fun or not. I'm a bit annoyed by all of the questions if this is just a walking simulator or what do you do though. They're making a game, they've mentioned a bunch of gameplay mechanics that have nothing to do with sightseeing and at least in that respect it's fairly clear what they're aiming for.

If all of these topics about No Man's Sky have taught me though is that a clear marketing campaign is insanely important, delivering a clear and concise message about what's your product is what people want and understand, and there's no going around that. Although this obscurity has people talking about it constantly so I dunno.

Got a link to an interview where Braben or Bell said that?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Procedural_generation

"An extreme case was Elite, which was originally planned to contain a total of 248 (approximately 282 trillion) galaxies with 256 solar systems each. The publisher, however, was afraid that such a gigantic universe would cause disbelief in players, and eight of these galaxies were chosen for the final version.[4] "

Ferr986

Wasnt it going to be two showcases of NMS today? One in and hour and another (A night under no man sky) in 7 hours?

demigod

This game is overhyped to hell. I dont see the appeal of flying around to explore things that arent even real, like those wannabe dinosaurs. Game will bomb, book it.

Gaz_RB

Wasnt it going to be two showcases of NMS today? One in and hour and another (A night under no man sky) in 7 hours?

Yup, another lengthier one tonight.

This game is overhyped to hell. I dont see the appeal of flying around to explore things that arent even real, like those wannabe dinosaurs. Game will bomb, book it.

If only we could bomb the fake dinosaurs.

What people seem to have a hard time digesting is that this is a game where exploration is the progression. Resources are gained to explore further and the more you explore the higher your rank is.

Everyone is so barinwashed to think there is no gameplay here unless the player is holding a big gun and blowing stuff up.

pretty much.

KorrZ

This game more than anything needs a UC4 style gameplay demo, just give us a raw 15-20 mins of gameplay.

Hopefully something like that will appear at the NMS panel?

This game looks like the perfect complementary piece to go with ripping bong hits and nothing else. Walk around, say whoa, do again some more times til you're not high, then put in a more challenging game.

Looks like Hello Games is going to be able to pull this off. Have been incredibly impressed with every new piece of footage.

This looks like a explorers dream come true project. I could spend hours just wondering around Skyrim taking in the environment and discovering this and that, be it major or minor. Could play a game like this for a very long time.

Looks phenomenal. Well done Hello Games.

One thing people don't seem to be talking about is the sound. The sound is phenomenal. A ton of ambience to listen to and it all sounds very good. Love it

Ferr986

Is there one in an hour? Thought it was 9 PST.

Here from PSN blog

Saturday, December 6th

All times are in Pacific Time

10:00am PlayStation Experience keynote
11:30am Dying Light live gameplay
12:00pm Destiny: The Dark Below gameplay
12:30pm Virtual Reality: A New Era for Games (live panel)
1:30pm The Tomorrow Children live gameplay
2:00pm God of War: Retrospective (live panel excerpt)
2:30pm World Wide Studios Town Hall (live discussion)
3:00pm No Man’s Sky gameplay and discussion
3:300pm The Journey of Diablo III on PS4 (live panel excerpt)
4:00pm Tearaway Unfolded PS4 live gameplay
4:30pm LittleBigPlanet 3 Community Creations
5:00pm Inside the Dev Studio (live panel)
6:00pm Hohokum Live Music Jam – Featuring Ghostly International DJ’s Shigeto & Michna
9:00pm A Night Under No Man’s Sky

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2014/12/04/playstation-experience-panel-and-livestream-schedules/

HHAHAHAH. In all the craziness of the NMS threads over the past few days, I think this is the best one yet. Wannabe dinosaurs - I'm dying.

3:00pm No Man’s Sky gameplay and discussion

I expect this will be the PSX trailer with some discussion about what their aims and goals are.

9:00pm A Night Under No Man’s Sky

Hopefully this has more substance. I'd love some lengthy gameplay footage with no music. I want to get a real feel for how atmospheric the game is in terms of sound design when you're on a planet.

I have a feeling this game is going to be one of the biggest disappointments of next year.
Oh, it definitely will be. Gamers have been having ridiculously unrealistic expectations for even games from "AAA" publishers in recent years.

There will be many fits thrown when No Man's Sky releases.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Oh, it definitely will. Gamers have been having ridiculously unrealistic expectations for even games from "AAA" publishers in recent years.

There will be many fits thrown when No Man's Land releases.

Get the name right if you are gonna bash it. Clearly havent been following the game.

E92 M3

I can't wait for NMS trolls to start getting banned. Destiny threads always have a lot if shit posts and now NMS is the same thing.

gruenel

Again, I apologize if i'm coming across as bitchy in the first place. I think the TECH they have is really cool - but it's not something I'd be swooning over as an artist and a designer, cause turning this into an actual game that people would like to play must be a fucking nightmare.

The tech is cool and it's been done many times before. They're doing it in realtime, which is quite cool and the results are also quite nice looking, but what I'm 'bitching' about is that they have no mechanics. All I'm seeing is pretty much just debug stuff, even though the dev is TALKING about how you're able to do this and that, yet _none_ of that has ever been shown in the slightest. That's why I'm saying it's a tech demo, not an actual game. And I think that turning this into an actual, fun game is going to be insanely difficult.

I just don't understand why gamers and especially the press isn't a little more critical when it comes to all the promises being made here.

Perhaps some gamers are aware that the game isn't finished yet.

Ferr986

See this is what I thought was going on... But that other schedule doesn't even have No Man's Sky at 3.... Plus they already showed a that trailer, so maybe the thing at 3 wont even happen.

Maybe Im wrong, but that pic with a program guide shows the panels on the event, and the list I posted is the Twitch schedule. Maybe the thing at 3 ist just for the Twitch stream, and the Night under NMS is their panel at PSX.

legacyzero

Banned
Sounds like what some of ya'll are looking for is the same boring shit you'll find in our recent AAA games. Filling bars, dots on maps, cinematic bullshit, holloywood actors doing VO and mocap, etc.

I dare some of you naysayers to buy Minecraft and play it, if you havn't already. DARE. Games like Minecraft dont need ANY of that shit. The game simply creates the foundation, throws you in it, and says "go." That foundation is built in a way that allows you to create your OWN experiences. The game doesn't ask you to do ANYTHING. YOU decide. Games like Minecraft stole WEEKENDS from me, simply because of this.

Seriously. Buy Minecraft, boot it up, and start a SURVIVAL game. If you let it grab you, chances are, you wont wanna put it down.

Educate yourselves.

iboRA7KG1tWo2w.png

~Kinggi~

Banned
Someone make a gif when he zoomed out of the galaxy that shit is unreal and so damn beautiful.

tumblr_ly0a6wJJgu1qc4mw7.gif

Its the feeling all of us had when Will Wright zoomed out of the galaxy in Spore. Except in Spore they had to turn it into a game and all of a sudden the cool sci-fi simulator everyone wanted became a cutesy thing that dissapointed.

So as long as NMS doesnt lose itself too much then i think it will be fine.

Get the name right if you are gonna bash it. Clearly havent been following the game.
Oops, mustve been thinking of something else at the time. I'm not bashing the game by any means. Just the gaming community, if anything. I'm looking forward to the game because I have a pretty good idea of what it will be like when it releases. I'm a fan of exploration in games. I enjoyed Afrika and Endless Ocean.

I'm kind of getting burned out on this game already, they keep showing the same kind of trailers starting and ending the same way ticking them boxes (show surface: check, fly around: check, go into space: check). I wish they show a trailer that has a different tone and show other aspects, if there is one. I'm still interested in the game but it hasn't that mystique of the E3 showing anymore.

Maybe Im wrong, but that pic with a program guide shows the panels on the event, and the list I posted is the Twitch schedule. Maybe the thing at 3 ist just for the Twitch stream, and the Night under NMS is their panel at PSX.

Oh ok. I know the stream for No Man's Sky at 9:00 will happen for sure though. Sean said so on stage.

Top Bottom