• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Man's Sky gets released like, soon, I guess ¯\_()_/¯

Status
Not open for further replies.

garyizraw

Banned
Didnt mean it in a bad way i just want to try a game like this before i buy it. I cant pitch 60 to this game without SOME kind of demo or ALOT of strong reviews

Xav

I'm very open to the idea that No Man's Sky could be awesome but... all I've seen up until now is a walking simulator.

This generation's Spore?

OmegaDL50

At this point there is absolutely no fucking excuse for those who genuinely want to know what this game is about, to be unable actually find the information they are looking for and actually piece together the facts that have been known what this game has been about. It has been announced 3 years ago with tons of interviews, hands on previews back in May, and plethora of other information freely available if one actually wants to find it.

It may sound unfair, but I firmly believe the folks that continue to bring up the Spore / Molyneux comparisons really aren't looking for information on this game, and are just saying shit to stir up the hornet's nest so to speak.

It's getting tiring repeating the same stuff over and over, being forthcoming and sharing links to videos, interviews, and tons of other articles. At this point we are beyond bending over backwards to kiss anyone's ass in regards information available on the game.

I don't think we really should justify some folks with a proper answer anymore. Some folks clearly decided that this game is another Spore, is over promised, a sham, or filled with lies from the developers (I have a list of quotes of across various topics from people that said these specific things verbatim), They decided upon themselves what this game was on baseless assumptions and anything we bring up or say regardless how truthful and confirmed it is, is ultimately falling on deaf ears.

DedValve

Banned
I'm very open to the idea that No Man's Sky could be awesome but... all I've seen up until now is a walking simulator.

This generation's Spore?

I don't think you are. The very goal of No Mans Sky is exploration. Just because there isn't a ton of icons like in a ubisoft game that checks off each unexplored area doesn't make it a walking simulator.

It also has combat which is very evident in almost every gameplay video.

Now that you mention, I do recall seeing space combat but totally forgot about it because it looked boring.

You can shoot some bugs on the ground too I think.
Lol. I dunno man. Seeing a dogfight happening in space and then watching the player chase them down seamlessly to a planets surface and flying through land formations taking them out 1 by 1 then flying back out into outter space looked pretty fucking cool to me.

And yup. Lots of bugs to shoot lol. Some people , I tell ya.

This is pretty much my take on it. I'm looking at this as more like Elite: Dangerous set in the Homeworld universe (and that's how I'm going to be 'roleplaying' it: Separated from the Kushan Mothership, alone and pushing on, looking for clues to Hiigara.

Now that's a pretty cool rp for this.

One minute you are in a dog-fight, the next you are a shark in the ocean.

And now I want a GTAV-like pc trainer that lets you control all the creatures. Time to fulfill my dreams of becoming a space-faring land shark :p

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
So far, after promises of stuff that's in the game, reluctant or very narrow demonstrations of stuff that's in the game, similar demonstrations of the generating power of the game engine after unending criticisms of them not showing other stuff, when they do show that stuff it looks awkward or unfun (moment-to-moment gameplay; shooting/tool usage and flying look wholly unsatisfying)...

...it's looking hard not to be skeptical of the final package. ESPECIALLY at an $80 pricepoint in Canada. Alas, the potential for a great space game is still underneath and gets me excited, but I've kept my expectations realistic quite a while now and have avoiding deluding myself into believing that they'll be able to layer enough compelling gameplay elements on top of their attractive premise/foundation.

I've still got it pre-ordered, in case early reviews prove that this game is what we all want it to be, but the lead up to the game and what little they've been comfortable showing is looking like a pretty textbook hype-to-disappointment scenario. The lack of confidence, or lack of showing those things (i.e. crafting has had some of the most vertical of vertical slices) is a reliably telling sign in games marketing.

I hope I'm wrong, but the odds haven't been favourable for the game.

Rising_Hei

So far, after promises of stuff that's in the game, reluctant or very narrow demonstrations of stuff that's in the game, similar demonstrations of the generating power of the game engine after unending criticisms of them not showing other stuff, when they do show that stuff it looks awkward or unfun (moment-to-moment gameplay; shooting/tool usage and flying look wholly unsatisfying)...

...it's looking hard not to be skeptical of the final package. ESPECIALLY at an $80 pricepoint in Canada. Alas, the potential for a great space game is still underneath and gets me excited, but I've kept my expectations realistic quite a while now and have avoiding deluding myself into believing that they'll be able to layer enough compelling gameplay elements on top of their attractive premise/foundation.

I've still got it pre-ordered, in case early reviews prove that this game is what we all want it to be, but the lead up to the game and what little they've been comfortable showing is looking like a pretty textbook hype-to-disappointment scenario. The lack of confidence, or lack of showing those things (i.e. crafting has had some of the most vertical of vertical slices) is a reliably telling sign in games marketing.

I hope I'm wrong, but the odds haven't been favourable for the game.

You are right, they had had some natural disasters that slowed down the game's development a little bit. But, apart from that...

How are even "odds" a factor in determining the quality of a game?

OmegaDL50

Some folks will believe what they want to believe in regards to this game. It's unfortunate, but that is how some inflexible some folks are.

It doesn't matter how many developer confirmed statements or interviews or hands on impressions is one is able to provide. It makes no difference, they already decided and made up their mind.

It's fair to have criticisms and remain skeptical, this is to be expected on every game nowadays. Being open minded however is another matter entirely.

Really the premise of the game isn't some impossible thing. Other games have already glossed upon things No Man's Sky is already doing.

Look at games like Starbound, Elite: Dangerous, or even Out There. Taking the concept of Starbound but in 3D without the settlement construction isn't a hard concept to understand.

Elandyll

Banned

This generation's Spore?

Do-not-think-it-means.jpeg

This generation's Spore?

This is my prediction too. I suppose everyone has just forgotten about Elite already. I won't ever NOT be suspicious of games built on 'open-ended exploration' and procedural generation.

styl3s

We haven't seen predation, drinking at watering holes and water sources, herds, nocturnal vs day behaviors, etc., which have all been confirmed

Or the carnivorous plants that catch birds out of the sky with tentacle/tongues
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GjKTJblJpw0&feature=youtu.be&t=21m27s

===

The glitches in the game make it sound exciting
http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/07/24/ask-sean-murray-anything-about-no-mans-sky
I wish i could visit that planet full of walking buildings.

bender

What time is it?
I don't have high expectations but I definitely want to see what the game is all about. I love the idea of exploration in games especially without a heavy emphasis on combat. I'll be there day one.

Some folks will believe what they want to believe in regards to this game. It's unfortunate, but that is how some inflexible some folks are.

It doesn't matter how many developer confirmed statements or interviews or hands on impressions is one is able to provide. It makes no difference, their they already decided and made up their mind.

It's fair to have criticisms and remain skeptical, this is to be expected on every game nowadays. Being open minded however is another matter entirely.

Really the premise of the game isn't some impossible thing. Other games have already glossed upon things No Man's Sky is already doing.

Look at games like Starbound, Elite: Dangerous, or even Out There. Taking the concept of Starbound but in 3D without the settlement construction isn't a hard concept to understand.
Elite Dangerous already has procedurally-generated planets with surfaces that you can land on, on a realistic scale.
Astroneer is doing procedurally generated planets and solar systems with dynamic weather and deformable terrain
Evochron Legacy has space battles, trading, etc., with seamless travel between space and planets
Space Engine's been procedurally generated planets and planet-sized surfaces for a while now

Of course in those games, procedural planets look like this

It's really not far-fetched or hard to fathom

This is going to be another one of those games for me, huh? One where I absolutely lose my mind over leading up to release and then when release day comes, I can't find my self able to start playing the game. I swear, I just sat around when I got MGSV and Uncharted 4 and it took me a good amount of time to actually pop them in! Not meant in a bad way of course!

Venuspower

My hype for NMS is unlimited.
I am hyped since NMS was first shown to the public. Already Pre-Ordered the Limited Edition Also my friends jumped on the hype train after I showed them NMS.

The thing is. I have a really special feeling about that game. Pretty much the same as I had with The Last of Us back in 2011. And The Last of Us is my All-Time-Favorite. I really do not think, that No Man's Sky will fail.

RedSwirl

People will figure out X amount of gear/weapons/ships/animal variations/planet variations/store variatins, and mission types... map out the language, the story, etc etc

Once that is all mapped out and you see through the procedural aspect it probably won't be much fun. At least the general consesus online will say that there is no point to play it anymore... unless of course the game is just incredible fun to play which doesn't really look to be the case apart from flying (shooting looks... meh)

But I think even if the game is not much fun to play... the amount of fun it will be to just play it with everyone else at launch and piece stuff together once it comes out will be worth the admission price imo!

That hasn't really happened yet with Elite: Dangerous, and that game has been out since late 2014.

Sure, ED has a pre-defined number of ship variations and people have figured out the best builds for exploration or trading, but players haven't really gotten bored of the planets and systems yet. And having figured out the ships hasn't really made getting and flying them any less fun.

Of course there are core differences between E3 and NMS. The ship variations in NMS are actually procedural so we might never see every possibility. ED has been getting updates and expansions since launch. You also can't land on planets in ED, but that hasn't stopped me from scanning solar systems for 70 hours.

Then there's Space Engine. I've probably spent dozens of hours playing that game and I still get surprised and intrigued with the new planets I see. That said, we have no idea how the procedural generation in NMS is going to compare to SE. SE has a pretty insane level of variation based on real science all things considered, but Hello Games claims to be hiding the really weird planets in NMS from the public.

Not trying to hijack the thread, but The Last Guardian gets released in ~3 months. This is just an awesome time we're living.

Can't wait to shoot at everything I see in NMS.

Unicorn

This game got announced 2 years too early. Community is devouring itself and skepticism and cynicism has usurped positive excitement and hype. This is why Bethesda has short announce to launch time frames.

My only concern with nms is that planets will just become: land, scan where I land, walk around for 5 minutes, "this is a boring planet", leave, and on to the next one. There is no guarantee that the planets will be interesting. I'm worried that some people will get a string of noninteresting planets which would be a complete turn off

OmegaDL50

That hasn't really happened yet with Elite: Dangerous, and that game has been out since late 2014.

Sure, ED has a pre-defined number of ship variations and people have figured out the best builds for exploration or trading, but players haven't really gotten bored of the planets and systems yet. And having figured out the ships hasn't really made getting and flying them any less fun.

Of course there are core differences between E3 and NMS. The ship variations in NMS are actually procedural so we might never see every possibility. ED has been getting updates and expansions since launch. You also can't land on planets in ED, but that hasn't stopped me from scanning solar systems for 70 hours.

Then there's Space Engine. I've probably spent dozens of hours playing that game and I still get surprised and intrigued with the new planets I see. That said, we have no idea how the procedural generation in NMS is going to compare to SE. SE has a pretty insane level of variation based on real science all things considered, but Hello Games claims to be hiding the really weird planets in NMS from the public.

Sean Murray said Ringed Planets are in the game, he just hasn't shown them off.

It would be interesting to see an Earth-like ringed planet, kind of like this discovery in Space Engine.

kmlp336z6b9x.png

This is my prediction too. I suppose everyone has just forgotten about Elite already. I won't ever NOT be suspicious of games built on 'open-ended exploration' and procedural generation.

Forgotten about Elite? You mean that fantastic space exploration game? You're right, it's a shame people have forgotten about Elite. Go play Elite.

This game got announced 2 years too early. Community is devouring itself and skepticism and cynicism has usurped positive excitement and hype. This is why Bethesda has short announce to launch time frames.
If a game being announced to early is the key to maximum skepticism. Death stranding will be going up in flames soon(it won't)

mokeyjoe

Not trying to hijack the thread, but The Last Guardian gets released in ~3 months. This is just an awesome time we're living.

Can't wait to shoot at everything I see in NMS.

Yeah - this year's been straight up amazing for gaming, even for a jaded part time gamer like myself.

Unicorn

If a game being announced to early is the key to maximum skepticism. Death stranding will be going up in flames soon(it won't)
Has that been announced as an exploration focused sandbox? That's how Bethesda games are pitched. Having a huge gap of time for speculation and seemingly "Why don't they talk about what you do?" stretches of silence breeds this sort of cynicism and skepticism. Because this game wants players to discover means many feel like info is being withheld with malice for years instead of just months.

E92 M3

Sean Murray said Ringed Planets are in the game, he just hasn't shown them off.

It would be interesting to see an Earth-like ringed planet, kind of like this discovery in Space Engine.

kmlp336z6b9x.png

With so many planets in the game, you can bet there will be ringed Earth-like planets :p

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Has that been announced as an exploration focused sandbox? That's how Bethesda games are pitched. Having a huge gap of time for speculation and seemingly "Why don't they talk about what you do?" stretches of silence breeds this sort of cynicism and skepticism. Because this game wants players to discover means many feel like info is being withheld with malice for years instead of just months.

Which makes zero sense, if one understands anything about the game. How can the developers "withhold" information when they themselves don't even know everything that might be out there in the game?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom