• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results For October 2016

Hasn't helped in the UK. Launched at ~31k and is only at 59.9k right now. Performance on the XBL Most Played charts shows it being played by around the same amount of people as BF4 or in the #20's. Not good.

Eh to be fair UK isn't always accurate to compare. The situation for Gears for example seems to be radically different in the US than the UK

Roboculus

Hasn't helped in the UK. Launched at ~31k and is only at 59.9k right now. Performance on the XBL Most Played charts shows it being played by around the same amount of people as BF4 or in the #20's. Not good.

Yeah I remember looking at the most played chart earlier this week when I got the game and I couldn't believe how low it already was. Man this is a huge bummer.

Elandyll

Banned
Bummer we have to wait for next week for some hardware #s.

Hopefully we can have some detail on sku splits, it looks like things were 'interesting' (tm) in October.

RIP - Rise of the Tomb Raider PS4.

I did think maybe the brand strength would save a year late, full price port but obviously not. Damn shame for the series as this was an excellent game.

Elios83

Bummer we have to wait for next week for some hardware #s.

Hopefully we can have some detail on sku splits, it looks like things were 'interesting' (tm) in October.

We should already have the Xbox number though, 8% higher compared to October 2015.

Welfare

Eh to be fair UK isn't always accurate to compare. The situation for Gears for example seems to be radically different in the US than the UK

Which is why I also brought up the Most Played section where it is not performing well at all.

We should already have the Xbox number though, 8% higher compared to October 2015.

Would rather wait for Astronaut Clair's numbers on Monday. They will be more accurate than rounded % increases.

excaliburps

Press - MP1st.com
Man it sucks to see how poorly Titanfall 2 has sold. Can only hope that word of mouth will help because this game definitely deserves to do better.

Erm, read the OP? It does state that it's not an apples:apples thing since it's been out for just a few days compared to the other games.

How many days was Titanfall 2 on the market prior to this info?

Three days, I think which is why that apples to apples thing was mentioned by Mat.

Correct. It's the same reason Skyrim is only #6.

Yep. Although, I do still think those games in front of it (TF2) would still be there or something. NBA2K is a big, big franchise when it comes to sales.

Surface of Me

I'm not an NPC. And neither are we.
Nice to see Gears at number 3, without digital even. Coalition certainly delivered a great game. All my friends bought it digitally.

Which is why I also brought up the Most Played section where it is not performing well at all.

I hear you and I don't expect it to have extraordinary legs, but I just like to caution people against following the PAL threads, and extrapolating that to the NA market. There are numerous examples where that isn't true. One of the biggest examples being Siege which flopped big time at launch in the UK, and yet the 1st NPD for the game was over 800,000k units.

It would seem Gears is following a somewhat similar trajectory in that it under performed big time in the UK market but seems to doing solid work in NA. Titanfall 2 unfortunately though seems to be under-performing everywhere.

Elios83

Would rather wait for Astronaut Clair's numbers on Monday. They will be more accurate than rounded % increases.

In any case it should be around 327k.

deoee

If this is for October, does it mean it counts the sales from 1.10 to 31.10 or what?

Cause if it's like that, Titanfall 2 had roughly 3 days of sales in this :D

Schlorgan

I contributed to Battlefield (but on PC digital, so it doesn't show), Gears 4 and Titanfall 2.

I have since bought two more copies of Titanfall 2 for friends (taking advantage of the discounts). xD

Trojan

Buy Titanfall this holiday if you like shooters and haven't already! Amazing game that needs more love. Worst release decision ever.

EvB

Gears 4 has more than double the playcount of BF4 in the U.K., so I don't know where you are getting that from.

Also, just noticed that the most played is based on the previous 30 days now, rather than the past 7

Malakai

With this new NPD ranking method, ranking isn't based on unit sales but ranking is based on revenue generated? (I.E. 3DS titles are at a disadvantage when it comes to charting due to lower retail pricing and due to handheld games not getting games with season pass bundles with increases revenue per unit )

Schlorgan

Gears 4 has more than double the playcount of BF4 in the U.K., so I don't know where you are getting that from.

Also, just noticed that the most played is based on the previous 30 days now, rather than the past 7

I think he was talking about Titanfall 2.

Bruno MB

I see no Rise of the Tomb Raider 20th Anniversary Celebration...

Tomb Raider sells better in Europe than in the US.

UK:
October 2016 - All Formats (Units)

07 (NE) RISE OF THE TOMB RAIDER: 20 YEAR EDITION (SQUARE ENIX EUROPE)

Germany:
October 2016 - All Formats (Units)

05 (NE) RISE OF THE TOMB RAIDER: 20 YEAR EDITION (SQUARE ENIX EUROPE)

Spain:
October 2016 - Individual Formats (Units)

05 (NE) PS4 RISE OF THE TOMB RAIDER: 20 YEAR EDITION (SQUARE ENIX EUROPE)

Boke1879

Because some people predicted it would do well despite being a year late $60 port.

The only way it was going to do well was having a cheaper price. I really don't know what SE was thinking with this game. It's a good game but their marketing and breaking up the Sku's were.

RoKKeR

Man, impressive from Mafia 3. Also seems like Gears 4 did pretty well, especially considering digital isn't being counted. Game deserves it.

Welfare

Talking about TF2 in the UK and the Most Played is about US.

woah NPD factors digital into the rankings now?

Yep. Have a good number of publishers on board, short a couple, hopefully we'll get to full market coverage one of these days. Working on it.

With this new NPD ranking method, ranking isn't based on unit sales but ranking is based on revenue generated? (I.E. 3DS titles are at a disadvantage when it comes to charting due to lower retail pricing and due to handheld games not getting games with season pass bundles with increases revenue per unit )

Yes, and it's not a perfect way to do it. But it is the way the publishers decided was most fair to take into account things like promotions and discounting. Consumer spend is the better measure for gauging market health versus units.

I guess we won't be seeing any smug tweets from Respawn anytime soon.

They made an amazing game. It's very early to tell the sales story on this title. I hope they tweet often with great gusto.

NPD said:
9. Titanfall 2

759.gif

I'm.... fucking ... heartbroken

deoee

So, we have

1. XB1 - 327K
2/3. PS4/3DS > 110K
4. WIU (as there's no chance of a discontinued system beating out PS4 or 3DS :p )

Covers October 2-29.

Thanks!

So why are people upset about Titanfall 2 sales, if this was counting TWO DAYS?
neogaf25rugz.gif

Welfare

So, we have

1. XB1 - 327K
2/3. PS4/3DS > 110K
4. WIU (as there's no chance of a discontinued system beating out PS4 or 3DS :p )

Covers October 2-29.

Isn't 3DS units up 12%, so ~123k?

Thanks!

So why are people upset about Titanfall 2 sales, if this was counting TWO DAYS?
neogaf25rugz.gif

Because Skyrim had the same amount of days tracked and is #6 with just retail. TF2 includes digital and is #9.

EvB

Talking about TF2 in the UK and the Most Played is about US.

Most played is region specific.

Titanfall 2 has a minuscule playcount, 1/50th of BF4 in the same period.
I'll keep an eye out as that would suggest it doesn't update til later in the month.

Top Bottom