• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results For October 2016

Tomb Raider sells better in Europe than in the US.

UK:
October 2016 - All Formats (Units)

07 (NE) RISE OF THE TOMB RAIDER: 20 YEAR EDITION (SQUARE ENIX EUROPE)

Germany:

05 (NE) RISE OF THE TOMB RAIDER: 20 YEAR EDITION (SQUARE ENIX EUROPE)

Spain:
October 2016 - Individual Formats (Units)

05 (NE) PS4 RISE OF THE TOMB RAIDER: 20 YEAR EDITION (SQUARE ENIX EUROPE)

Chart positions without numbers don't tell the entire story. Aren't the UK numbers pretty low outside of the top 3 or 4 games? I don't remember the first week sales being that good.

donny2112

So why are people upset about Titanfall 2 sales, if this was counting TWO DAYS?

Because that doesn't typically make a difference for hardcore games. Now with two days, and a normal month following, you may be able to hope for the month following to equal the first 2 days (hardcore games are just so frontloaded this gen). However since the second month this time is November, it'll be up no matter what. Just a question of how much of that is any inherent legs or just holiday tide raising all ships.

Gator86

Thanks!

neogaf25rugz.gif

Realize it's only two days, but TF2 is probably my game of the year so I want it to murder everything else on the chart regardless. I want good things to sell well.

Glad to see Skyrim in there. Bought it digitally on xbone and that's all I've played since it came out lol. Prior to that I was still picking Destiny clean.

deoee

Okay, Skyrim having the same time is valid but Skyrim is a beast and does not need word of mouth or anything so you'd figure the sales would be insane for such a monster.

Titanfall 2 for many is a surprise hit and with the early sales I would not be surprised seing it way higher in November than it was in this NPD.

Let's hope for the best - the game deserves it :)

Skyrim still killing it after 5 years. Got my TF2 copy, still haven't played it because I need to lower my backlog but at least I did my part.

Toki767

Thanks!

neogaf25rugz.gif

I mean...you can look at how it's already on sale on Xbox Live for $36 (digital is notorious for not going on sale as fast as retail) as a pretty good indication of poor sales.

Sterok

Origin isn't included for EA's games right? I don't think Titanfall 2 did particularly well on PC, but people who care can give it a slight boost thanks to that.

I hear you and I don't expect it to have extraordinary legs, but I just like to caution people against following the PAL threads, and extrapolating that to the NA market. There are numerous examples where that isn't true. One of the biggest examples being Siege which flopped big time at launch in the UK, and yet the 1st NPD for the game was over 800,000k units.

It would seem Gears is following a somewhat similar trajectory in that it under performed big time in the UK market but seems to doing solid work in NA. Titanfall 2 unfortunately though seems to be under-performing everywhere.

What would you call solid work .
Unless i miss some numbers .
Yes it come in at number 3 but without numbers it hard to tell what that means .

deoee

I mean...you can look at how it's already on sale on Xbox Live for $36 (digital is notorious for not going on sale as fast as retail) as a pretty good indication of poor sales.

Or you can be happy that you're getting an awesome game for such a small price two weeks after release ;)
Battlefield 1 is on sale also and is doing pretty well, so I don't think it's a strong indicator this month.

Either way, I hope it sells better this (whole) month.

EvB

That is likely to change now Digital is a big thing,
We know that they make more money on digital and retail stock has already been sold in.

Undercut retail AFTER you've already sold launch allocation to retail = profit

excaliburps

Press - MP1st.com

It is, hence why the OP has been updated with that comparison that TF2 sales aren't apples:apples (someone should really spell that out for some people, no).

I guess we won't be seeing any smug tweets from Respawn anytime soon.

You mean the tweet that came from the official Titanfall Twitter that's handled by EA PR and not Respawn? http://www.playstationlifestyle.net/2016/11/05/infinite-warfare-vs-titanfall-2-twitter-jabs/

I think most people on GAF read just the thread title, check the first few sentences and base everything there. Seriously, the OP has been updated and most people act like they can't read it, haven't read it, or ignoring it. xD

What would you call solid work .
Unless i miss some numbers .
Yes it come in at number 3 but without numbers it hard to tell what that means .

We know for a fact its in a better position in the US than the UK due to ranking. Skyrim in the UK outsold Gears numbers in its first week or close to it. Where in NA Gears is still several spots above it. We can clearly see Gears is performing better in NA comparatively than it did in the UK

I still think Gears 4 is down in NA by franchise norms. I don't expect it to be at Gears 3 numbers, or maybe even Gears 2 numbers. But it had to have performed decently due to the games it charted over while not having digital counted

Tomb Raider sells better in Europe than in the US.

UK:

07 (NE) RISE OF THE TOMB RAIDER: 20 YEAR EDITION (SQUARE ENIX EUROPE)

Germany:

05 (NE) RISE OF THE TOMB RAIDER: 20 YEAR EDITION (SQUARE ENIX EUROPE)

Spain:
October 2016 - Individual Formats (Units)

05 (NE) PS4 RISE OF THE TOMB RAIDER: 20 YEAR EDITION (SQUARE ENIX EUROPE)

7th in uk and 5th in germany must be like a few copies.

Bruno MB

7th in uk and 5th in germany must be like a few copies.

October was a strong month sales wise with titles such as Battlefield 1, FIFA 17, Mafia III, The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Special Edition and Gears of War 4 dominating the top spots.

In the UK Rise of the Tomb Raider: 20 Year Edition had a similar debut to last year game on Xbox One. It is true that it is having worse legs, but that is because one was released in mid October while the other in November and had Black Friday + holiday sales push.

Ashtar

Oh Titan fall was only 2 days? That's pretty good IMO then not ideal but given a full month probably would have been around 5th id reckon which isn't too shabby, I know videogames sales are front loaded but given how loaded this month was I think it's understandable

allan-bh

I hope Gears 4 sales are good. Certainly isn't 2 million+ that Gears 3 sold, but maybe it's close to 1 million including digital.

Curious about how much Titanfall 2 sold in 2 days. Based on UK sales it's doing very badly.

What I want to know is, how does anyone know this: "Play early, digital bundles are all working very well. Raising digital shares and average pricing compared to physical. You're going to see much more of these tactics in the future." when Microsoft isn't sharing their digital data? Aren't they the only one to have done this with Gears 4 and Horizon 3? Or did NBA do it?

EA stated this last month. It will only continue to grow and some games even open higher than that because 30% is just the average.

I mean, some people have been saying XB1 digital titles would be around that for their recent 1st party games, if not higher, due to rising digital ties AND play anywhere... and the general sentiment seems to be people laughing them off... so I guess it's good to see.

Mrbob

How is NPD gathering digital data for pc? Are they getting actual numbers, guessing, or taking data from Steam SPY.

How is NPD gathering digital data for pc? Are they getting actual numbers, guessing, or taking data from Steam SPY.

Publishers participating in the digital leader panel provide their STEAM data. Only STEAM PC data is counted, so there are some other digital distribution platforms not counted.

I hear you and I don't expect it to have extraordinary legs, but I just like to caution people against following the PAL threads, and extrapolating that to the NA market. There are numerous examples where that isn't true. One of the biggest examples being Siege which flopped big time at launch in the UK, and yet the 1st NPD for the game was over 800,000k units.

It would seem Gears is following a somewhat similar trajectory in that it under performed big time in the UK market but seems to doing solid work in NA. Titanfall 2 unfortunately though seems to be under-performing everywhere.

Without numbers and this weird ranking Gears could be well down just like it was in the UK.

Quantum Break sold poorly in the US and UK, so did ROTTR in US and UK, Halo 5 down hugely in the US and UK. Rainbow Siege is more of an anomaly. I was able to predict QB and ROTTR US sales off UK sales.

The latest to perfectly comply again is Titanfall 2, 9th spot US is usually 50-150k.

The main point is Gears was well down to previous Gears titles in the UK and it could very well be in the US. Gears should be No 1 or 2 against another mega seller. Halo 5 opened up much lower than previous titles both sides of the pond.

Kill3r7

Skyrim is a huge franchise. Sure it's a remaster, but that didn't stop GTA V sales on PS4/Xbox One.

I understand that Skyrim is huge but it's a remaster of a 5 year old game. Also, Titanfall is not exactly a third rate franchise. I understand it is not Skyrim but it should have sold better which is the gripe most people have.

The game is great. I have enjoyed my time with it and I look forward to playing it for months to come.

Top Bottom