• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results For October 2016

LordofPwn

So does NPD track PSVR? How is that looking for sales?

And what year will digital sales on average sell more than physical? Seems some titles are already hitting it and iirc last year was 20% average, now it's 30?

I'm going to guess Titanfall 2 moves up in the list next month but I don't think it will be much. Will be interesting to see where FFXV lands with only being tracked for a day or 2.

Welfare

And what year will digital sales on average sell more than physical? Seems some titles are already hitting it and iirc last year was 20% average, now it's 30?

I'm going to guess Titanfall 2 moves up in the list next month but I don't think it will be much. Will be interesting to see where FFXV lands with only being tracked for a day or 2.

NPD does track PSVR but it is an accessory.

I think at the rate digital is rising it will hit 50% in 2020/21? That is not factoring in a more aggressive digital push after this year.

FFXV is launching in December's NPD.

Like, on one hand, I do feel sorry for games like TF2 and ROTR that do poorly because it sucks for the fans (and just sucks in general when games sell poorly).

But its hard to muster as much sympathy as you can for other games that do poorly because the reasons for their failure seemed so clear.

Still, it's been a pretty bad couple of years with some of the franchise drop offs.

Edit: I can actually muster sympathy for TF2. RoTR is impossible though. That game is practically a book on how to not manage your multiplatform IP.

blakep267

I'd say there's little chance of Titanfall showing in November NPD. You have COd, Pokémon, watchdogs, possibly dishonorsd all vying for a spot. Then you have the returning games, battlefield, gears, madden, FIFA skyrim. I don't see it happening

donny2112

any guesses as to what ps vr did?

Based on Abdiel's comments, it sold out of the launch bundles at Best Buy, and the store bundles were moving further stock. Not huge numbers at launch, but it's selling what it's sending.

I'd say there's little chance of Titanfall showing in November NPD. You have COd, Pokémon, watchdogs, possibly dishonorsd all vying for a spot. Then you have the returning games, battlefield, gears, madden, FIFA skyrim. I don't see it happening

November is dominated by Black Friday sales. If it's a new release and/or on sale on Black Friday, it's got a chance of charting. If not, most likely not.

I think the real news are that GTA V is not on the top ten anymore. Rockstar dooooooooooooooooooooooomed! :p
yeah, first thing I noticed, too. dunno if it's the very first... probably was a time between the ps3 and ps4 release and maybe one other ps4 month where it missed, but as far as I remember it basically charted every month that I checked.

blakep267

Based on Abdiel's comments, it sold out of the launch bundles at Best Buy, and the store bundles were moving further stock. Not huge numbers at launch, but it's selling what it's sending.

November is dominated by Black Friday sales. If it's a new release and/or on sale on Black Friday, it's got a chance of charting. If not, most likely not.
The returning games I mentioned are also all on sale during Black Friday. Gears skyrim battlefield and Titanfall are all gonna be around that $30-$35 mark. I can't see just Titanfall doing better and not the others

Without numbers and this weird ranking Gears could be well down just like it was in the UK.

Quantum Break sold poorly in the US and UK, so did ROTTR in US and UK, Halo 5 down hugely in the US and UK. Rainbow Siege is more of an anomaly. I was able to predict QB and ROTTR US sales off UK sales.

The latest to perfectly comply again is Titanfall 2, 9th spot US is usually 50-150k.

The main point is Gears was well down to previous Gears titles in the UK and it could very well be in the US. Gears should be No 1 or 2 against another mega seller. Halo 5 opened up much lower than previous titles both sides of the pond.

It's going to be lower than franchise norms I never said it wouldn't be. Essentially every major MS IP is down this gen compared to 360.

I'm saying it did comparatively better in the US than it did in the UK, as we can see from rankings placement

Norse

I mean...you can look at how it's already on sale on Xbox Live for $36 (digital is notorious for not going on sale as fast as retail) as a pretty good indication of poor sales.

Then why is Skyrim already on sale?

Also....if hardware sales are down 20% yoy, and xbone is up 8% and 3ds is up 12%, then ps4/wiiu sales combined for over 20% decline yoy. Correct?

Mindlog

Drive down costs and raise prices
KuGsj.gif

Retailers had a good run with games. We had a good run with games.
Let flame of fuckery burn bright!
Typically special notes will be issued when anything atypical happens to a category (accessories.)

Welfare

Also....if hardware sales are down 20% yoy, and xbone is up 8% and 3ds is up 12%, then ps4/wiiu sales combined for over 20% decline yoy. Correct?
Xbox 360 and PS3 performance would also factor into that but yeah, PS4 and Wii U have to be down YoY.

Malakai

Yep. Have a good number of publishers on board, short a couple, hopefully we'll get to full market coverage one of these days. Working on it.

Yes, and it's not a perfect way to do it. But it is the way the publishers decided was most fair to take into account things like promotions and discounting. Consumer spend is the better measure for gauging market health versus units.

They made an amazing game. It's very early to tell the sales story on this title. I hope they tweet often with great gusto.

Don't know if I can agree with that. A quick simplified example: Let us say it cost Company A 3 million dollars to develop, market and distribute Game Z and it sells 1 million copies @ $30 retail price and let us say it cost Company M 30 million to develop, market and distribute Game T and Game T sales 2 million copies @ retail price $60.
Game Z generated 30 million dollars while Game T generated 120 million dollars; however, the gross margin are greater on Game Z (90%) than Game T (75%). Using revenue as the sole metric hides a great deal of information. I'm not well versed in business, but, if you are going to measure the "health" of any industry margins are heck lot more important than gross revenue generated. I'm going to assume using revenue as the criteria for ranking is more a marketing tacit of "bigger is better".

With units as a data point at least us members could guessimate with in reason the other things when it came to the cost making the game.

Elios83

LordofPwn

NPD does track PSVR but it is an accessory.

I think at the rate digital is rising it will hit 50% in 2020/21? That is not factoring in a more aggressive digital push after this year.

FFXV is launching in December's NPD.

Typically special notes will be issued when anything atypical happens to a category (accessories.)
Thanks for the responses. Guess I forget the PSVR is an accessory.

And I guess December will be an interesting month

Norse

No 20% down is in revenues.

http://venturebeat.com/2016/11/17/o...eld-mafia-and-gears-dominate-the-sales-chart/

Hardware October 2016: $215.2 million (down 20 percent YOY) October 2015: $270.3 million

That has been strongly impacted by lower console prices this year.

True, but does that mean xbone and 3ds hardware revenue is up 8&12% this year over last? That would still mean the rest had to fall....maybe not ps4, but ps3,wiiu,and 360 for sure. Something has to account for the 20% lower revenue.

Toki767

Skyrim Special Edition is not on sale digitally.

When a game goes on sale digitally quickly, that's how you know sales were probably below expectations.

See: Battleborn, Evolve, Tearaway, etc...

Elios83

True, but does that mean xbone and 3ds hardware revenue is up 8&12% this year over last? That would still mean the rest had to fall....maybe not ps4, but ps3,wiiu,and 360 for sure. Something has to account for the 20% lower revenue.

8 and 12% up are sales :D 20% less are revenues!
Xbox One for example with just 8% higher sales compared to last year has generated almost certainly lower revenues yoy considering the lower prices.
Same will be for PS4.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
Given that Gears 4 in 3rd spot doesn't include Bundles OR digital, that's pretty fucking good.

As the premier Play Anywhere title, that game would be pushing comfortably past the (around) 30% digital mark and plenty would have bough the Gears S console.

allan-bh

Given that Gears 4 in 3rd spot doesn't include Bundles OR digital, that's pretty fucking good.

As the premier Play Anywhere title, that game would be pushing comfortably past the (around) 30% digital mark and plenty would have bough the Gears S console.

I don't know... bundle is too expensive.

sense

Considering MS hasn't released any sort of pr for gears sales, I believe it is safe to assume the sales aren't anywhere close to gears 3 peak. Let's see what the leaks hold because the talk around gears dropped real soon after its release imo considering the crowded release schedule in October

Trup1aya

Considering MS hasn't released any sort of pr for gears sales, I believe it is safe to assume the sales aren't anywhere close to gears 3 peak. Let's see what the leaks hold because the talk around gears dropped real soon after its release imo considering the crowded release schedule in October

MS hasn't released sales for anything for quite some time

sense

MS hasn't released sales for anything for quite some time
They did for halo 5 and are not above putting out pr spin considering they are gloating about npd victories the past few months. If you want to believe it sold well, that is fine but I am just pointing out that they have been quiet regarding its performance and it is unusual for a huge first party release.

Humdinger

Nice to have an NPD analyst posting.

Impressive showing for Skyrim -- two days and no digital sales included. Good game, well worth the money for all the gameplay it provides.

blakep267

They did for halo 5 and are not above putting out pr spin considering they are gloating about npd victories the past few months. If you want to believe it sold well, that is fine but I am just pointing out that they have been quiet regarding its performance and it is unusual for a huge first party release.
They don't really give out numbers so it's really no point either way. They'll say it made xx amount of revenue etc.

They didn't give sales figures for Halo. Just the 400 million dollar number

Peru

Dedicated handhelds are not dead and never were and won't be for the foreseeable future. People's willingness to buy dedicated gaming boxes is as strong as ever. The DS is an anomaly, the 3DS is on its own a massive success, founded on traditional console games and franchises, and points to a continued interest in full-priced gaming on the go

As a reminder, should be getting some more data later from Aqua per her agreement with the National Purchase Diary.

Is anyone giving out software numbers for individual titles?

I'll like to know the latest on Xenoblade Chronicles X and how Killer Instinct Definitive Edition did since launching in September.

Do we still have a comparison chart between PSP and 3DS? It wasn't looking too good at some point, but the last time I saw a comparison was a while ago already.

Conduit

Banned
What a list. Surprised to see Mafia that high. Surprised to see TF2 so low. I expected GeOW 4 to see around that place. Nothing great, nothing bad. But GeOW 4 surely colapsed in sales compared to GeOW 2 and 3. No PR about sales in any shape from MS.

Mr Swine

Banned
I'm glad that 3DS is selling somewhat ok in USA. How is it compared to DS and PSP in the same timeframe?

How well (badly) is Vita selling?

The PS4 Slim 500 GB Uncharted 4: A Thief’s End bundle was the month’s best-selling hardware across the category, accounting for 17 percent of total hardware units sold in the month,” said Naji. As an individual SKU, Xbox Ones sold more overall, but split between more bundles

And yet SIEA refuse to announce any bundle, and we are past mid-november o_O
No news about special prices during the black friday week either ?

I get they may not care about "winning NPD" and look only at their financial results and target, but they look a little stubborn to me here.

Saty

Wait, Origin sales are now part of the report? As far as i know the only PC digital numbers shared are from Steam.

Yeah it's great to see an awesome game from a great studio perform below expectations. What the hell...

I'll admit that I was a little too harsh in that post but i don't think it's a great game however I felt it was good enough to buy at half price so I don't want to see it completely fail either.

Top Bottom