• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NV Democrats file complaint against Sanders campaign to DNC

Status
Not open for further replies.
It was all a stupid situation with some shit things going on, but not the violent riot some are painting it to be.

screaming at barbara boxer before she even speaks and calling her a cunt and other obscenities is a bit more than "some shit things going on"

maddow is doing good coverage of this. love the bernie person defending their behavior blaming it on BARS being close to the event. classy stuff

I just heard the first time the phone messages left one the state chairwoman's answering machine (MSNBC)

holy shit! that was vile

yup. abhorrent

edit: THERE IT IS, managed to blame it on the establishment too

Is it as bad as the screencaps on the OP?

Well those screencaps dont load for me but the gif shows someone angrily picking up a chair to throw it and then the rest of the people (I think in his group, its hard to tell) helping the guy put the chair down then hug it out.

BajiBoxer

Banned
screaming at barbara boxer before she even speaks and calling her a cunt and other obscenities is a bit more than "some shit things going on"

maddow is doing good coverage of this. love the bernie person defending their behavior blaming it on BARS being close to the event. classy stuff

yup. abhorrent

edit: THERE IT IS, managed to blame it on the establishment too

I mean relative to a violent riot with chairs and bottles being hurled.

Ya know maybe I would like some video of this violence. I don't see a single assult charge, I don't see a single thing that backs this up. And with all those police maybe I would hear some police report. Look if I'm the villain here so be it, but there's not a single case of an assault charge! With trump supporters we see video, we hear from the victim. Man it seems like people really wants to jump the bandwagon to villianize Sanders supporters because, crazy fucking idea, people feel Hillary had to earn our vote.

Also yeah as for the phone calls it's fucked up, although we still don't know who made the call. Could be a Sanders supporter, could be someone trying to make a story so that Sanders supporters look bad. Either way sure they deserve punishment.

zelas

I hope Bernie doesn't respond to this in any way similar to how Trump responded to his white supremacy supporters. Do all you can to condemn these people. I'm tired of seeing Democratic party voters be more dysfunctional than republicans lately. And I'm certainly tired of some voters attacking fellow democrats with the same rhetoric and tactics that used to only be part of the tea party/trump repertoire.

Way to drop the ball Bernie. Really appreciate you continuing to act as if you're infallible and that everyone else is the problem. I'm sure that mentality isn't fueling this kind of behavior.

Cat Party

Ya know maybe I would like some video of this violence. I don't see a single assult charge, I don't see a single thing that backs this up. And with all those police maybe I would hear some police report. Look if I'm the villain here so be it, but there's not a single case of an assault charge! With trump supporters we see video, we hear from the victim. Man it seems like people really wants to jump the bandwagon to villianize Sanders supporters because, crazy fucking idea, people feel Hillary had to earn our vote.

Also yeah as for the phone calls it's fucked up, although we still don't know who made the call. Could be a Sanders supporter, could be someone trying to make a story so that Sanders supporters look bad. Either way sure they deserve punishment.

OMG stop with this stuff.

Adaren

It's true that no one got a chair thrown at them, and I wish the media would stop repeating that headline. There was plenty of unwarranted hostility and obscenities that can be reported on without stretching the facts.

The committee spent 16 hours feeling justifiably endangered while trying to run the convention in the fairest way possible. Then they and their families were harassed with vulgar, threatening phone calls. That's enough of a story, even if the guy didn't actually throw the chair.

JP_

Banned
It's true that no one got a chair thrown at them, and I wish the media would stop repeating that headline. There was plenty of unwarranted hostility and obscenities that can be reported on without stretching the facts.

The committee spent 16 hours feeling justifiably endangered while trying to run the convention in the fairest way possible. Then they and their families were harassed with vulgar, threatening phone calls. That's enough of a story, even if the guy didn't actually throw the chair.

Not just headlines, but the state party as well

"We write to alert you to what we perceive as the Sanders Campaign’s penchant for extra-parliamentary behavior—indeed, actual violence—in place of democratic conduct in a convention setting"

Protests =/= violence.

The voicemails obviously crossed the line and should have been condemned outright, but there's a ton of misinformation going around. People here thinking property damage and fights broke out at the convention and the voicemails were from delegates etc. There are people that seriously think it's as bad as Trump and his rallies.

The committee spent 16 hours feeling justifiably endangered while trying to run the convention in the fairest way possible. Then they and their families were harassed with vulgar, threatened phone calls. That's enough of a story, even if the guy didn't actually throw the chair.
There's no excuse for the phone calls. I'm a little rash personally because the comparison to trump supporters that have beaten multiple people is getting me a little emotional and its my mistake. But the hostility makes sense when you see how the vote was actually handled (in this specific convention). The video we had previously been shown of the voice vote from the prospective of the people there feels loud and concise. It doesn't matter, what matters and is getting to me personally is how 1 sided this whole thing is being painted.

If the tables were turned this would have been equally wrong for Hillary supporters. I have empathy for the people working at the convention but this thread is filled with generalising and judgement of character without even attempting to understand why the people are pissed. No one punched anyone in the face, no one was actually attacked. Some awful phonecalls occurred and they are fucked up. We don't know who made them, and it doesn't matter because who ever did it should be attested. But my god with the generalising.

There's no excuse for the phone calls. I'm a little rash personally because the comparison to trump supporters that have beaten multiple people is getting me a little emotional and its my mistake. But the hostility makes sense when you see how the vote was actually handled (in this specific convention). The video we had previously been shown of the voice vote from the prospective of the people there feels loud and concise. It doesn't matter, what matters and is getting to me personally is how 1 sided this whole thing is being painted.

If the tables were turned this would have been equally wrong for Hillary supporters. I have empathy for the people working at the convention but this thread is filled with generalising and judgement of character without even attempting to understand why the people are pissed. No one punched anyone in the face, no one was actually attacked. Some awful phonecalls occurred and they are fucked up. We don't know who made them, and it doesn't matter because who ever did it should be attested. But my god with the generalising.

Stopped reading here.

No. It doesn't. Trying to justify it is wrong.

it does NOT make sense. any explanation is bred in believing unfairness occurred and is purely stained in ignorance

and even then, even if there was some sort of controversy, it still wouldn't excuse any of this shit 1%.

"well people are mad" is some grade-a crap, especially when they are upset due to being fed false information

Adaren

While I don't condone the media saying that chairs were thrown (as I said above), I also don't think the guy-picking-up-the-chair video should be taken lightly. It reveals the situation that the committee was dealing with, that the guy not only considered picking up the chair but actually acted on it. And he didn't actually throw it or try to beat anyone down because everyone around him immediately thought "Ah shit man don't go through with that". Would he have thrown it if people hadn't stopped him? I don't know, but I don't think it really matters. It speaks volumes that he even picked it up in the first place.

So yeah, I don't like people saying "chairs were thrown", but I also don't want the video to be brushed off by saying "They're hugging it out in the end". That's missing the point.

B4s5C

I can't even justify people being mad? Like how am I supposed to take that.

Political-Gaf is basically Dunning-Kruger effect in motion. Everyone thinks they are right and have the most information about everything when in reality you have selective bias from both sides in the media they choose. I am a Bernie supporter who will never vote for Hillary in any election because of the acts of her supporters online in various forums and her use of SuperPACs like Correct The Record (who she works with because of an FEC loophole) who basically run propaganda campaigns online.

But, if there is one thing this election has brought is Sanders waking up previous politically apathetic people like me who aren't going to back down for future Progressive candidates after this election.

Because the behavior makes no sense in any context. There's no justification for fucked up calls and acting like maniacs at the convention.

Everyone thinks they are right and have the most information about everything when in reality you have selective bias from both sides in the media they choose.

...immediately followed by...

I am a Bernie supporter who will never vote for Hillary in any election because of the acts of her supporters online in various forums and her use of SuperPACs like Correct The Record (who she works with because of an FEC loophole) who basically run propaganda campaigns online.

In other words, you're the best example of the effect you speak of.

But, if there is one thing this election has brought is Sanders waking up previous politically apathetic people like me who aren't going to back down for future Progressive candidates after this election.

God that's going to be a nightmare. It's bad enough having one party that's more concerned with ideological purity than actual governance

Bernie folks have been going on with this persecution complex for months. It reeks of conspiracy-theory bullcrap and seems to indicate a complete disconnect with reality. You can't just call foul play at every turn at expect to be taken seriously, especially when facts seem to point otherwise. I don't live in the US, but the last time I saw such manufactured outrage was with the creation of the Tea Party. This kind of behaviour has no place in the Democratic party and is a stain on our democracy. GTFO with this stuff, please.

Blader

I don't know if you saw the texts in the OP (images seem to be broken now), but you had people calling Roberta Lange a bitch, a cunt, telling her she should be hanged, sending her death threats, threatening her family, harassing her business, posting her address and phone number online.

There's no justifying that behavior. You can trace their anger to their actions, and offer an explanation for where that anger came from. But what's the difference then between this and violence at Trump's rallies? The anger there doesn't just appear out of a vacuum; there's a reason why the people at those events are so wound up and ended up throwing punches and yelling racist slurs. But just because there's a reason for anger doesn't mean it's justified. Same thing here. Being mad does not justify violence or harassment.

And in the end, what are they even mad about? Because they didn't get to pack more delegates into a state that Bernie had lost.

Political-Gaf is basically Dunning-Kruger effect in motion. Everyone thinks they are right and have the most information about everything when in reality you have selective bias from both sides in the media they choose. I am a Bernie supporter who will never vote for Hillary in any election because of the acts of her supporters online in various forums and her use of SuperPACs like Correct The Record (who she works with because of an FEC loophole) who basically run propaganda campaigns online.

Your future Progressive candidates will have nothing to stand on after President Trump packs the Supreme Court with conservative justices who will kneecap the progressive legislation they may try to carry out.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Bernie folks have been going on with this persecution complex for months. It reeks of conspiracy-theory bullcrap and seems to indicate a complete disconnect with reality. You can't just call foul play at every turn at expect to be taken seriously, especially when facts seem to point otherwise. I don't live in the US, but the last time I saw such manufactured outrage was with the creation of the Tea Party. This kind of behaviour has no place in the Democratic party and is a stain on our democracy. GTFO with this stuff, please.

And to top it all off there is absolutely no credible argument of any form that Bernie should actually have gotten more delegates in Nevada. This isn't even foul play that robbed him of deserved delegates, this is a tantrum thrown over what is, in the grand scheme of things, absolutely fucking nothing. The level of anger and vitriol is laughably, ridiculously disproportionate to how much anything that happened in Nevada actually affected Bernie's candidacy.

B4s5C

God that's going to be a nightmare. It's bad enough having one party that's more concerned with ideological purity than actual governance

I said PRogressive candidates.

Not Progressive Democratic candidates that are only Democrats. I am assisting several local-level politicians with data analysis that are either Independent or third-party.

pigeon

Banned
No one punched anyone in the face, no one was actually attacked. Some awful phonecalls occurred and they are fucked up. We don't know who made them, and it doesn't matter because who ever did it should be attested.

Wait, why should people who called somebody and left them death threats not be arrested? They are illegal! Those people should definitely be arrested.

People who armchair-cite Dunning-Kruger form a fractal regressive Dunning-Kruger vortex that is beautiful to behold.

B4s5C

Because the behavior makes no sense in any context. There's no justification for fucked up calls and acting like maniacs at the convention.

...immediately followed by...

In other words, you're the best example of the effect you speak of.

So, explain to me the $1 million investment Correct The Record recently made in regards to online forums such as Reddit and Facebook.

Because if this was being done by Republicans (probably is) then it is just as abhorrent.

Would you like me to find you comments from multiple users that use the same phrasing, exact same sentences, and comments. Or how about the hundreds of Twitter accounts that tweet the same exact thing to Bernie accounts?

You think that's okay?

And let me point out as well that you didn't point out anything or provide any evidence for your claim. I stay out of these off-topic threads because of the unsubstantiatied claims but I would be more than happy to give you all of my evidence when I return home from travelling on the actions of Correct the Record.

B4s5C

People who armchair-cite Dunning-Kruger form a beautiful fractal regressive Dunning-Kruger vortex that is beautiful to behold.

Please point out where I am over-confident in my views. How often have I posted in this thread saying everyone was wrong and only I am right? There is a ton I don't know but based on what I see on Gaf, the political discussion is unsubstantiated compared to what you would see in /r/NeutralPolitics. This is a fact based on how often people cite their claims. But that is to be expected as this is a video game forum.

Please point out where I am over-confident in my views. How often have I posted in this thread saying everyone was wrong and only I am right? There is a ton I don't know but based on what I see on Gaf, the political discussion is unsubstantiated compared to what you would see in /r/NeutralPolitics. This is a fact based on how often people cite their claims. But that is to be expected as this is a video game forum.

You are over-confident in your knowledge in what Dunning-Kruger is.

B4s5C

You are over-confident in your knowledge in what Dunning-Kruger is.

Please prove me wrong.

From Wiki:
The Dunning–Kruger effect is a cognitive bias in which relatively unskilled persons suffer illusory superiority, mistakenly assessing their ability to be much higher than it really is. Dunning and Kruger attributed this bias to a metacognitive inability of the unskilled to recognize their own ineptitude and evaluate their own ability accurately.

This is exactly what I am talking about in these political threads. No citations, no thought.

I don't claim to be superior to others. I don't act like my knowledge of politics is superior to others. I don't know what I don't know and I can admit my ignorance, which is why I watch, not participate (except in this one particular instance). I make the claim that the forum is unsubstantiated compared to other forums such as /r/NeutralPolitics. This is fact. There is very little citations in the claims that people make. I can cite my stuff.

For Example:
My claims regarding Correct The Record and Clinton campaign coordinating as well as their involvement in social media.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...nate-directly-with-hillary-clintons-campaign/

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articl...orrect-commenters-on-reddit-and-facebook.html

'I will never vote for Clinton because of her supporters and because she has used Super PACS' is a terrible reason to never vote for someone.

But it's your vote.

Please prove me wrong.

From Wiki:

This is exactly what I am talking about in these political threads. No citations, no thought.

I don't claim to be superior to others. I don't act like my knowledge of politics is superior to others. I don't know what I don't know and I can admit my ignorance, which is why I watch, not participate (except in this one particular instance). I make the claim that the forum is unsubstantiated compared to other forums such as /r/NeutralPolitics. This is fact. There is very little citations in the claims that people make. I can cite my stuff.

For Example:
My claims regarding Correct The Record and Clinton campaign coordinating as well as their involvement in social media.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...nate-directly-with-hillary-clintons-campaign/

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articl...orrect-commenters-on-reddit-and-facebook.html

You called out other people for not citing anything, but went 5 posts before you cited anything.

Here let me cite that.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=203969989&postcount=830
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=203970952&postcount=837
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=203971279&postcount=841
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=203971357&postcount=842

B4s5C

'I will never vote for Clinton because of her supporters and because she has used Super PACS' is a terrible reason to never vote for someone.

But it's your vote.

Why is it a terrible reason?

I mean, Its not the only reason (trade policies, flip flopping, gun laws, past feelings towards video games, etc).

But I feel using loopholes to coordinate with a SuperPAC who engages in an act that I find gross. It may be legal, but I think its shitty. So why is that a terrible reason?

Edit:

I pretty much thought it was common knowledge. I cited it anyways.

Blader

I mean, Its not the only reason (trade policies, flip flopping, gun laws, past feelings towards video games, etc).

But I feel using loopholes to coordinate with a SuperPAC who engages in an act that I find gross. It may be legal, but I think its shitty. So why is that a terrible reason?

Flip flopping? Past feelings toward video games? Is this 2004 again?

Not voting for a candidate because of who supports them, is to me, completely secondary to that candidate's positions and qualifications as President.

Clinton has fought against super pacs all along, and continues to fight them. Yes, she uses them to fight back against the many super pacs that target her... but that hasn't changed her position in my eyes.

Terrible people support Sanders too, and he's taken money from the NRA, but I don't factor those into my assessment of his positions or how good a job I think he'd do as president.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...1be26c-2bfe-11e5-bd33-395c05608059_story.html

CNN has evidence that Sanders campaign planned, encouraged the disruption at the Nevada convention

http://www.cnn.com/2016/05/17/politics/democrat-bernie-sanders-revolt/index.html

new audio obtained by CNN shows a senior Sanders aide -- on the eve of the Nevada convention -- encouraging the senator's supporters try to "take over" the convention, change party rules and continue the "revolution" that Sanders has long campaigned on. "You should not leave," Joan Kato, the national delegates director, told Sanders supporters in a meeting last week at the Rumor Boutique Hotel. "I'm going to repeat that, unless you are told by someone from the campaign ... that you can leave, you should not leave."

The Sanders campaign hasn't responded to a request for comment.

HillaryGAF is vile, Jesus Christ, and you guys expect Bernie supporters to vote for her in the National, Trump as president is looking more real and it will be Clinton and her supporters fault that Trump wins, of course Bernie will be blamed but alas dirty propaganda working as usual.

Some useful links for the non-blinded with irrational hate:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKqs88zIAGM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fLZy2SZr5QA

Did you seriously just link to The Young Turks?

B4s5C

Not voting for a candidate because of who supports them, is to me, completely secondary to that candidate's positions and qualifications as President.

Clinton has fought against super pacs all along, and continues to fight them. Yes, she uses them to fight back against the many super pacs that target her... but that hasn't changed her position in my eyes.

Terrible people support Sanders too, and he's taken money from the NRA, but I don't factor those into my assessment of his positions or how good a job I think he'd do as president.

Like I said, one of very many reasons I don't support Clinton and will not support her as President.

I'm sorry that you think these are terrible reasons because thats a pretty antagonistic view towards the feelings of others but I appreciate you for explaining your view.

Please prove me wrong.

From Wiki:

For Example:

You just quoted a wiki blurb to prove you knowledge of Dunning-Kruger. You are kind of making my point for me here....

B4s5C

Did you seriously just link to The Young Turks?

Dispute their arguments, not the source.

Not advocating for The Young Turks but its not wise to just disregard any argument because of where it is coming from. You disregard arguments by hearing them and disputing it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom