• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NV Democrats file complaint against Sanders campaign to DNC

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is May of 2016 and I still have no idea what Gamergate was, and every time I try to learn my eyes glaze over.

Do you think Trump is responsible for condemning violence at his rallies? Or is it ok if he says nothing and we all just assume he condemns it in his head?

Sanders has never condoned violence, and has made numerous statements condemning violence. So all of the sudden, because he didn't specifically condemn violence in this instance he should be drawn and quartered? All because he didn't respond to how some people think he should? It baffles me.

So 50 of the Sander's delegates didn't even bother to show up? Did Hillary kidnap them? We need to find out where they are, they may be in danger. There is no way they would miss the Revolution.

Malfunky

The final 2 candidates were Trump and Cruz. Not just republicans, but bat-shit crazy ones.

Clinging to the one candidate capable of acting like an adult isn't unreasonable.

Well, totally. I absolutely support her victory in the face of those two, but that's not saying a whole lot. She's a petulant child in her own way, but at least she's not those two.

All I'm saying is that the people calling Bernie dirty or childish need to look at their own candidate.

hawk2025

Sanders' supporters are inciting violence and sending death threats and your response is a rant about the establishment.

That was exactly what Sanders did as well, though.

He sandwiched a limp-wristed denouncement of violence between a rant against establishment and a "we suffered violence months ago too!" conspiracy.

pigeon

Banned
Well, totally. I absolutely support her victory in the face of those two, but that's not saying a whole lot. She's a petulant child in her own way, but at least she's not those two.

All I'm saying is that the people calling Bernie dirty or childish need to look at their own candidate.

I mean, when Hillary's supporters embark on a spree of death threats and doxxing, I will definitely look closely at how Hillary responds to it.

So far though, for some weird reason, there's only one group of supporters doing that! Strange.

If you can bring up anything remotely similar to this Clinton has done in this campaign I will condemn her for it too.

This was clearly dirty and childish by the Sanders campaign. Don't need to look at any other candidates to come to that conclusion. But congrats on attempting to turn this into some kind of childish "They started it first!" or "They do it also!" nonsense. Btw, did you write Bernie's "apology" letter? Your posts ooze the same crap I read in that thing.

Malfunky

I mean, when Hillary's supporters embark on a spree of death threats and doxxing, I will definitely look closely at how Hillary responds to it.

So far though, for some weird reason, there's only one group of supporters doing that! Strange.

Yeah, the losing side. Desperate measures for the deluded. But again, supporters vs. candidate. But Sanders condemned it. Blamed establishment politics for peoples anger. That's not unjustified. Do you want him to acknowledge them as a large portion of his supporters or something?

This was clearly dirty and childish by the Sanders campaign. Don't need to look at any other candidates to come to that conclusion. But congrats on attempting to turn this into some kind of childish "They started it first!" nonsense. Btw, did you write Bernie's "apology" letter? Your posts ooze the same nonsense I read in that thing.

You're missing my point. Yeah, haha Bernie sanders sucks and he's losing and he's desperate. We all agree. But Hillary Clinton is not a saint. And you liberals need to stop enabling people like her.

Once I saw the news just wanted to come to GAF and make sure there was a thread about it and see that people were suggesting this is emblematic of all Sanders supporters. Didn't dissapoint.

Kind of like how GG taught me all gamers are sexist pigs who send death threats and organize attacks online.

Sanders has never condoned violence, and has made numerous statements condemning violence. So all of the sudden, because he didn't specifically condemn violence in this instance he should be drawn and quartered? All because he didn't respond to how some people think he should? It baffles me.

Nobody is saying Sanders should be drawn and quartered. Some of his supporters have suggested Nevada Democratic Party chairwoman Roberta Lange should be hung though.

His response to this debacle sucked and he does deserve the scorn he's getting now.

Koomaster

I feel vindicated that people are finally seeing what I saw in Bernard months ago. The guy is garbage; absolute trash tier of a politician. I will say the same as I said then, democrats just need to freeze him out, get him out of his senate seat and set him to sail off into the sunset.

He may once upon a time had good intentions but he's since fallen victim to his own ego. Never drink your own Kool-Aid Bernard, rule #1.

Blader

A condemnation of violence does not include "but." But is an excuse for the actions or behavior you're condemning. Do I think Bernie Sanders wants his supporters to harass state party officials, call them bitches, send them death threats, paste their personal info online? Of course not! And that's all he has to say on it.

But when he adds that b-word to their behavior he provides an excuse for it, and gives their grievances legitimacy. That's not a condemnation.

Yeah, the losing side. Desperate measures for the deluded. But again, supporters vs. candidate. But Sanders condemned it. Blamed establishment politics for peoples anger. That's not unjustified. Do you want him to acknowledge them as a large portion of his supporters or something?

He's condemned it, with a dash of "but here's some unrelated bad things that happened to some things tangentially related to me. Now, I'm not saying Clinton supporters did this, but..."

Here's what you say - "What happened was terrible, I condemn any violence, and disavow any support from those people."

That's it. The convention is done.

Once I saw the news just wanted to come to GAF and make sure there was a thread about it and see that people were suggesting this is emblematic of all Sanders supporters. Didn't dissapoint.

Kind of like how GG taught me all gamers are sexist pigs who send death threats and organize attacks online.

I'm glad your confirmation bias machine is well oiled. You're doing good by starting that puppy up every once in a while.

phanphare

Banned

pretty sure no one is saying that but I could be wrong

feel free to find some quotes

pigeon

Banned
But Sanders condemned it.

He mostly didn't. He released a full-page statement about how Nevada was stolen, with half a sentence in the middle that says "obviously it goes without saying I don't approve of violence, BUT."

Here in America we have a lot of experience with dog whistles. That statement is the opposite of damning with faint praise -- it's condoning with faint condemnation.

Blamed establishment politics for peoples anger. That's not unjustified. Do you want him to acknowledge them as a large portion of his supporters or something?

I want him to say that they don't represent him, that he doesn't approve of their actions, that he thinks the woman who's being persecuted should be left alone, and that he disavows their support.

Frankly, I'd like him to go eat at her restaurant and take a photo op with her to show that there are no hard feelings.

That's what Obama would do. That's more or less what he HAS done multiple times during his presidency. It's called leadership and responsibility.

You're missing my point. Yeah, haha Bernie sanders sucks and he's losing and he's desperate. We all agree. But Hillary Clinton is not a saint. And you liberals need to stop enabling people like her.

Please stop derailing this thread with the same old self-absorbed song and dance about how only you are a true progressive. I think we've all had more than enough of that.

Damaniel

Banned
We're in a campaign, possibly the first in decades, perhaps ever, where there's a candidate actually talking about the deeper issues, not just one position vaguely to the left or right of a superficial issue as has been the case for years.

Bernie is the very definition about someone not talking about deeper issues. "Break up the banks!" and "get money out of politics!" aren't exactly examples of deep, nuanced policy - and when Bernie is called out on his proposals and asked to expand on them even a little bit from his stump speeches, he completely fails. About the only person on the national stage with a more shallow understanding of how the world works is Donald Trump, and nobody should want to be compared to Donald Trump.

Sanders represents at least a nugget of hope that the masses can begin to understand and protest against this rot and perhaps one day elect someone who can have the power to change it. The system being so rigged it will never voluntarily change itself. Hilary Clinton will never make any real strides to do anything to change this besides lip service.

If the system were *really* rigged then Bernie wouldn't have been allowed to run as a Democrat in the first place. For once, can't Bernie's supporters blame their failures on their candidate and not some conspiracy theory, the media, the oligarchy, or some other shadowy powers that be? Believe it or not, lots of people just aren't feeling the Bern, and it's not because we're some kind of mouth-breathing, knuckle-dragging low-information voters.

We're dealing with bigger issues here, real issues for a change and Clinton IS the establishment figure here.

Bernie has been in national politics for decades. That's the very definition of 'establishment' - at least Donald Trump can walk the walk when it comes to his non-establishment bonafides. He's no better (or no worse) than any other politician - he just has a fanbase that's bought hook, line and sinker into the personality cult based on a bunch of promises that sound good on paper to college students, but are completely unrealistic in the real world.

Hilary is the candidate who will be nothing but a war monger, who will support the further erosion of your privacy as you get told again and again that you are under threat from terrorism, or China, or Russia... the same old fear tactics used to keep you in your place.

And Bernie has spent the last decade in office funneling billions of dollars in sweet, sweet pork to his home state in order to build one of the biggest boondoggle weapons of war in American history. Some pacifist. On top of that, what I fear more than terrorism is gun violence, and considering how long Bernie spent in bed with the NRA, I'd say he's done more to enable legitimate fear than anyone.

I find it odd how so many on here are taking such a hardline view against Bernie for this one statement.

His one statement is (at a minimum) implicit support for this type of 'revolutionary' behavior. He's essentially saying 'violence is bad, but...' and that 'but' is where his entire statement falls flat on its face. He needs to outright condemn the actions of his extremist supporters, not give them a 'wink wink, nudge nudge' non-statement that does nothing but further embolden those man-children to escalate their threatening behavior.

We're all pawns in a sad game rigged against us from the start. Any attempt to usurp that quickly gets trodden down again from the entire establishment apparatus. Yay.

I used to think these kinds of things too, but then I grew up. Yeah, there's some bad shit happening out there, but to decide that only one politician in the entire world can magically sidestep the entire evil establishment and the horrible oligarchy to usher in his uniquely correct solutions to everything that's wrong in the world is lunacy. I'm just sad that so many people have bought into it and decided that the ends justify the means when it comes to electing an otherwise unpopular Senator from a tiny state into a position he's woefully unprepared for.

By every metric (delegates, votes, states), Bernie has lost this primary, and by a wide margin. His message just isn't resonating with people, and that's not just because the evil corporate media told us all what to think. His supporters need to accept that fact and not try to drag down the entire system - if they think shit is bad now, just think what a world with President Trump in charge of the big red button would be like.

Allard

Don't condemn something and give the people he is condemning an out. There is no excuse for this and he shouldn't make one. Playing devil's advocate Hilary had some similar incidents toward the end of her campaign in 2008, but she got racked over the coals for that at the time and Sanders should get it this time too. There is zero reason for this type of behavior and as head of his campaign he should take ownership to help stop it not give a reason for why it exists as if his own behavior isn't a part of the equation.

hawk2025

How the hell do some of you guys walk things back with signficant others if you think this is a proper denouncement of a clearly wrong situation?

Like, in real life?

"Honey, obviously I don't support John cheating on your sister. But she DID probably look at that one guy when we were at the beach months ago"

Parshias7

How the hell do some of you guys walk things back with signficant others if you think this is a proper denouncement of a clearly wrong situation?

Like, in real life?

Look baby, I don't condone myself sleeping with your sister, but she does have a nicer ass than you do.

Does this thread even have anything to do with Clinton? Keep it up though! I hear the only way to start a revolution is to annoyingly try to change the opinions of posters on a videogame forum. Your work will not be forgotten. Bernie would be proud.

TS-08

Like, in real life?

"I'm sorry I got mad and yelled at you, but remember that one time a few months ago when you yelled at me? Just saying. And you have to admit you were being an ass. So, we good?"

I read the entire Trasnscript and I worked in Wall Street regulation for the better part of 14 years with the last 4 of them with large financial institutions and/or the regulator. As in I was the global head of regulatory relations for a big bad bank until about 4 months ago when I quit to make board games full time. I was the US head of Regulatory Relations for another big bad bank prior to that and I was a Senior Regulatory Examiner with FINRA prior to that and was in charge of the annual examinations of multiple large financial institutions. I've interfaced with the SEC/NYFRB/FINRA/CME/NFA/all of the stock/options exchanges/MSRB/ECB/Bundesbank and myriad smaller local regulators like State DAs offices and have prepped multiple CEOs to testify in front of Congressional comittees.

I understood the entire Trasnscript. It is my wheelhouse.

He comes off like a fucking idiot in that interview with no understanding of his pet cause. It was a Trumpesque "things will happen when I'm president because" sort of hand waving with no understanding at all of the regulatory environment in Wall St.

Why do you use the phrase big bad bank? Whistleblower testimony alleging felonies from the top on down alongside nearly $40 billion in fines across nearly 20 major financial institutions is not a joke.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions

Like, in real life?

"Honey, obviously I don't support John cheating on your sister. But she DID probably look at that one guy when we were at the beach months ago"

This is great, I needed a laugh.

Adaren

And Bernie has spent the last decade in office funneling billions of dollars in sweet, sweet pork to his home state in order to build one of the biggest boondoggle weapons of war in American history. Some pacifist.

Care to clue me in on what this is? Don't think I've heard of it.

- J - D -

Like, in real life?

Have you seen OT Livejournal threads though.

Hey now, maybe they were all drunk.

Cipherr

We are all familiar with "What aboutisms". Which is exactly what you are doing. We are just sick and fucking tired of it, and have decided to call a spade a spade. Parading this man's so called "integrity" while trying to handwave how poorly he has handled the side effects of his rhetoric.

Must be difficult to find anything other than "YEAH BUT WHAT ABOUT HILLARY" when he isn't even decent enough to come out and condemn this stuff.

Malfunky

Please stop derailing this thread with the same old self-absorbed song and dance about how only you are a true progressive. I think we've all had more than enough of that.

I don't really see me poking my head in here and objecting to the supposed cleanness of the Democratic party and its apparent nominee as "derailing" a thread. And I'm not a progressive, so I would never claim that. It's just strange how sensitive you people get over Hillary. I just wish you would all hold her to the same critical scrutiny. If you do, that's great! Sorry if I miss it.

Does this thread even have anything to with Clinton? Keep it up though! I hear the only way to start a revolution is to annoyingly try to change the opinions of posters on a videogame forum. Your work will not be forgotten. Bernie would be proud.

You're weird, dude. Why do you post like this? In any case, I'm not the one who brought her up. And I'm not a Bernie Supporter.

Don't condemn something and give the people he is condemning an out. There is no excuse for this and he shouldn't make one. Playing devil's advocate Hilary had some similar incidents toward the end of her campaign in 2008, but she got racked over the coals for that at the time and Sanders should get it this time too. There is zero reason for this type of behavior and as head of his campaign he should take ownership to help stop it not give a reason for why it exists as if his own behavior isn't a part of the equation.

Yeah, totally. I suppose you're right. I guess I yield to this whole thing. I don't have a dog in this fight. I just didn't see the way he apologized about it as a huge deal. I read the apology, I thought it was fine. People kept bagging on him, calling him dirty, and I wondered why.

We are all familiar with "What aboutisms". Which is exactly what you are doing. We are just sick and fucking tired of it, and have decided to call a spade a spade. Parading this man's so called "integrity" while trying to handwave how poorly he has handled the side effects of his rhetoric.

Must be difficult to find anything other than "YEAH BUT WHAT ABOUT HILLARY" when he isn't even decent enough to come out and condemn this stuff.

Haha, what a thread. Yeah, totally. You're right, though! Maybe I picked the wrong thread to object.

Why, when Bernie is being the dirtiest and most childish one of all?

MIMIC

Banned
Sanders needs to do a better job condemning this. Although he HAS condemned it (from what I've heard), stronger language needs to be used.

I know he doesn't want to dampen the fire of his more passionate supporters (and he's treading a fine line when he does this), but this kind of conduct is unacceptable. That is not democracy.

hawk2025

Sanders needs to do a better job condemning this. Although he HAS condemned it (from what I've heard), stronger language needs to be used.

I know he doesn't want to dampen the fire of his more passionate supporters (and he's treading a fine line when he does this), but this kind of conduct is unacceptable. That is not democracy.

If a simple act of categorically condemning violence can be misconstrued as lack of enthusiasm/dampening the fire by a significant part of your supporters, maybe it's time to reevaluate who and why is energized in the first place.

I agree, he should have been stronger on this even if it meant losing some of the fire -- that's not the kind of fire anyone should want.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

You can read his condemnation a page or two back, it was a joke of a comment. There's a reason everyone's giving him shit over it.

See, this is fine. And MIMIC's been one of the pro-Sanders people on this board in recent weeks. It's really not that hard.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Lets be real. There are no actual republicans on GAF.

There are some left behind Republicans.
But very very few Ted Cruz Republicans, and being a Trump Republican is a gamble, considering some of his stuff would get Trump banned from posting here, lol.

True, but Gamergate does share a lot of similarities with Berniebros; large groups of young white men, who claim to be liberal, yet spend a lot of their time harassing people, especially women.
Lol the ignorance is amazing. Some of you hilary supporters are just as bad as those sanders supporters

GnawtyDog

Banned
Bernie is staying through the long haul and up until the convention. Nothing is gonna change.

Bernie must ____condemn this behavior in this specific matter in a way that satisfies me_____. When it happens again, I'll repeat the same.
Bernie should ___drop out like tomorrow_____.

Wishful thinking.

pigeon

Banned

I appreciate this response from you since I know you're a strong Sanders supporter.

That said, I personally think maybe he should go ahead and dampen a few people's fires if it leads to this kind of behavior.

JP_

Banned
+1 for a stronger condemnation from Sanders. Those voicemails do not represent Sanders or his supporters and I don't think it'd dampen any passion if he condemned them.

I do think it's fair for him to challenge the "violent" claims at the convention -- I haven't seen any videos showing violence even though everybody had their camera phones recording. Seems to be mostly media hype, but if anybody can provide proof I'd love to see it.

Smearing all Sanders supporters based on the acts of a few nut jobs is like arguing gamergators represent everybody that plays games. A vast majority of Sanders supporters will back Clinton in the GE -- you've got to be seriously delusional to think otherwise and it's not productive to smear nearly half of the liberal base with that bullshit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom