• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NV Democrats file complaint against Sanders campaign to DNC

Status
Not open for further replies.

DR2K

Banned
If you want a revolution to work you're going to need those angry, violent, and passionate white men.

I'm sure if Bernie were in the lead he would have condemned it better.

Gattsu25

Banned
Bernie's campaign been using dangerous language for damn near a year now. "Everyone is corrupt, and part of the estiblishment", "People are stupid for not voting for him", etc. They should have reign this shit in long ago, but he has two knuckle heads running his campaign, and zero self awareness

His supporters, especially, were saying this shit (specifically the latter two, and implying the first with all the BLM is secretly funded by hillary bullshit) against black folk on social media before, so you can understand why it wasn't a concern before so it's been a concern since fucking netroots nation in july of fucking 2015 to anyone paying attention.

Lol the ignorance is amazing. Some of you hilary supporters are just as bad as those sanders supporters

I'm not even American, but sure, disregard me as a "Hillary supporter" if that makes you better.

I've spent a lot of time observing both GG and the most fervent bases of Sander's support. They stop looking all that different after a while.

Stereotyping a group of freely-associated people is not on the same level as death threats and misogynist harassment.
In my time on gaf i have been called racist and sexest for supporting him which i find fucking disgusting. Im so sick of you guys just shitting on Bernie supporters constantly its absolutely disgusting.
Especially when you lump them all together. So go and enjoy your circlejerk while it lasts

JP_

Banned
Stereotyping a group of freely-associated people is not on the same level as death threats and misogynist harassment.

tumblr_o52wi44xye1v963n8o1_500.png

tumblr_o52w9gvkum1v963n8o1_500.png

tumblr_o3hkhjm4cP1v963n8o1_500.jpg

tumblr_o2x33jhZWO1v963n8o1_500.jpg

tumblr_o3hjjgFdo31v963n8o1_500.png

tumblr_o2xmddgxAj1v963n8o1_r1_500.jpg

tumblr_o2yzcqwNIT1v963n8o1_500.jpg

tumblr_o2xqjhBpie1v963n8o1_500.jpg

Maybe we shouldn't judge candidates by random nobodies that happen to support them? If you run for president, you're going to have some nutters -- it's unavoidable.

hawk2025

In my time on gaf i have been called racist and sexest for supporting him which i find fucking disgusting. Im so sick of you guys just shitting on Bernie supporters constantly its absolutely disgusting.
Especially when you lump them all together. So go and enjoy your circlejerk while it lasts

I hope the irony of complaining about lumping people together by... lumping people together isn't lost on you.

Hey, its not our fault the man thought he could win he nom without minorities, or older people...

Eric C

He WALKS away from a question!?

What is this? A statement for ants? Readable version:

https://berniesanders.com/press-release/statement-nevada/

PRESS RELEASE
Sanders Statement on Nevada
MAY 17, 2016
Twitter Facebook Email Link
FORT LAUDERDALE, Fla. – U.S. Sen. Bernie Sanders on Tuesday issued the following statement:

“It is imperative that the Democratic leadership, both nationally and in the states, understand that the political world is changing and that millions of Americans are outraged at establishment politics and establishment economics. The people of this country want a government which represents all of us, not just the 1 percent, super PACs and wealthy campaign contributors.

“The Democratic Party has a choice. It can open its doors and welcome into the party people who are prepared to fight for real economic and social change – people who are willing to take on Wall Street, corporate greed and a fossil fuel industry which is destroying this planet. Or the party can choose to maintain its status quo structure, remain dependent on big-money campaign contributions and be a party with limited participation and limited energy.

“Within the last few days there have been a number of criticisms made against my campaign organization. Party leaders in Nevada, for example, claim that the Sanders campaign has a ‘penchant for violence.’ That is nonsense. Our campaign has held giant rallies all across this country, including in high-crime areas, and there have been zero reports of violence. Our campaign of course believes in non-violent change and it goes without saying that I condemn any and all forms of violence, including the personal harassment of individuals. But, when we speak of violence, I should add here that months ago, during the Nevada campaign, shots were fired into my campaign office in Nevada and apartment housing complex my campaign staff lived in was broken into and ransacked.

“If the Democratic Party is to be successful in November, it is imperative that all state parties treat our campaign supporters with fairness and the respect that they have earned. I am happy to say that has been the case at state conventions in Maine, Alaska, Colorado and Hawaii where good discussions were held and democratic decisions were reached. Unfortunately, that was not the case at the Nevada convention. At that convention the Democratic leadership used its power to prevent a fair and transparent process from taking place. Among other things:

The chair of the convention announced that the convention rules passed on voice vote, when the vote was a clear no-vote. At the very least, the Chair should have allowed for a headcount.
The chair allowed its Credentials Committee to en mass rule that 64 delegates were ineligible without offering an opportunity for 58 of them to be heard. That decision enabled the Clinton campaign to end up with a 30-vote majority.
The chair refused to acknowledge any motions made from the floor or allow votes on them.
The chair refused to accept any petitions for amendments to the rules that were properly submitted.
“These are on top of failures at the precinct and county conventions including trying to depose and then threaten with arrest the Clark County convention credentials chair because she was operating too fairly.”

WHAT THE HELL kind of response is that?

I condem BUT...

Did they really need that BUT justification
NSDP response to Sanders:

https://www.scribd.com/doc/312952650/nsdp
"We respect and admire Senator Sanders for his values and leadership in the United States Senate, but the Sanders campaign is continuing to be dishonest about what happened Saturday and is failing to adequately denounce the threats of violence of his supporters."
Yeah, IMO his response deserves an even stronger rebuttal.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/05/17/politics/democrat-bernie-sanders-revolt/index.html

. But new audio obtained by CNN shows a senior Sanders aide -- on the eve of the Nevada convention -- encouraging the senator's supporters try to "take over" the convention, change party rules and continue the "revolution" that Sanders has long campaigned on.

"You should not leave," Joan Kato, the national delegates director, told Sanders supporters in a meeting last week at the Rumor Boutique Hotel. "I'm going to repeat that, unless you are told by someone from the campaign ... that you can leave, you should not leave

Sorry if this has been posted already...
Given how his campaign is now acting. Of course his campaign would encourage that. OF COURSE.

I am just completely disappointed in Bernie and his campaign now. Truthfully when he first announced last year I had a very different impression of him and what his campaign would do.

Now, how he is choosing to end his losing campaign is just beyond disappointing.

danm999

PRESS RELEASE
MAY 17, 2016
FORT LAUDERDALE, Fla. – U.S. Sen. Bernie Sanders on Tuesday issued the following statement:

“It is imperative that the Democratic leadership, both nationally and in the states, understand that the political world is changing and that millions of Americans are outraged at establishment politics and establishment economics. The people of this country want a government which represents all of us, not just the 1 percent, super PACs and wealthy campaign contributors.

“The Democratic Party has a choice. It can open its doors and welcome into the party people who are prepared to fight for real economic and social change – people who are willing to take on Wall Street, corporate greed and a fossil fuel industry which is destroying this planet. Or the party can choose to maintain its status quo structure, remain dependent on big-money campaign contributions and be a party with limited participation and limited energy.

“Within the last few days there have been a number of criticisms made against my campaign organization. Party leaders in Nevada, for example, claim that the Sanders campaign has a ‘penchant for violence.’ That is nonsense. Our campaign has held giant rallies all across this country, including in high-crime areas, and there have been zero reports of violence. Our campaign of course believes in non-violent change and it goes without saying that I condemn any and all forms of violence, including the personal harassment of individuals. But, when we speak of violence, I should add here that months ago, during the Nevada campaign, shots were fired into my campaign office in Nevada and apartment housing complex my campaign staff lived in was broken into and ransacked.

“If the Democratic Party is to be successful in November, it is imperative that all state parties treat our campaign supporters with fairness and the respect that they have earned. I am happy to say that has been the case at state conventions in Maine, Alaska, Colorado and Hawaii where good discussions were held and democratic decisions were reached. Unfortunately, that was not the case at the Nevada convention. At that convention the Democratic leadership used its power to prevent a fair and transparent process from taking place. Among other things:

The chair of the convention announced that the convention rules passed on voice vote, when the vote was a clear no-vote. At the very least, the Chair should have allowed for a headcount.
The chair allowed its Credentials Committee to en mass rule that 64 delegates were ineligible without offering an opportunity for 58 of them to be heard. That decision enabled the Clinton campaign to end up with a 30-vote majority.
The chair refused to acknowledge any motions made from the floor or allow votes on them.
The chair refused to accept any petitions for amendments to the rules that were properly submitted.
“These are on top of failures at the precinct and county conventions including trying to depose and then threaten with arrest the Clark County convention credentials chair because she was operating too fairly.”

Just a garbage tier response from the Sanders campaign honestly.

JP_

Banned
Nice try by quoting a completely different post from him. The irony of THE POST THAT WAS REPLIED TO still stands.

Seriously? It was not a "completely different post," it was a continuation of that conversation. And where does he claim it's all clinton supporters or even all gaf members...? "You guys"? Ummm, pretty safe to assume he's referring to the "Some of you" referenced earlier in the conversation.

I already stopped reading /r/politics and I've been considering avoiding GAF political threads. Feels like a different side of the same coin. Disappointing.

The Democratic party had integrity? When?

The Bernie hate is very strange there. I understand the mocking of some of his over zealous and irrational supporters. But the dude himself has more integrity than any politician you can find. He's been in politics for decades and has one of the cleanest most admirable records you can find. I wish I believed in his campaign.

But if we're talking about integrity and higher standards and especially of political opportunism, I wonder why all of you Hillary supporters are so gung-ho about her? From what I'm reading around here, it feels like none of this is about that. It feels like bandwagoning to pick on the loser.

If you don't think the Democratic Party has any integrity, then there isn't much we are going to agree on.

Sanders is trying to win the approval of an organization while simultaneously stating that it's corrupt. For somebody who has such a low opinion of the establishment, he sure seems to want to be its leader.

Mael

I guess I didn't expect Sanders campaigns to be even worse than Trump's.
At least the Don has the balls to outwardly support shitty behavior he inspires.

TyrantII

This ugly incident confirms that the politics of division has no place in our country, Mr. Trump should take responsibility for addressing his supporters’ violent actions.”

-Bernie two months ago.

sonicmj1

PRESS RELEASE
MAY 17, 2016

“Within the last few days there have been a number of criticisms made against my campaign organization. Party leaders in Nevada, for example, claim that the Sanders campaign has a ‘penchant for violence.’ That is nonsense. Our campaign has held giant rallies all across this country, including in high-crime areas, and there have been zero reports of violence. Our campaign of course believes in non-violent change and it goes without saying that I condemn any and all forms of violence, including the personal harassment of individuals. But, when we speak of violence, I should add here that months ago, during the Nevada campaign, shots were fired into my campaign office in Nevada and apartment housing complex my campaign staff lived in was broken into and ransacked.”

Why should you add that? If this isn't meant to imply, "My political opponents are using violence against my campaign," what the hell is the point of saying it? And if that is what it's meant to imply, why throw bombshells like that out there without proof?

Mael

Why should you add that? If this isn't meant to imply, "My political opponents are using violence against my campaign," what the hell is the point of saying it? And if that is what it's meant to imply, why throw bombshells like that out there without proof?

Why are you surprised?
It's the campaign that blamed their stealing on the campaign they stole data from.
You could argue that the next step would be them saying that the violent elements in NV where actually plants by the DNC and Clinton's campaign.

Slayven

His supporters, especially, were saying this shit (specifically the latter two, and implying the first with all the BLM is secretly funded by hillary bullshit) against black folk on social media before, so you can understand why it wasn't a concern before so it's been a concern since fucking netroots nation in july of fucking 2015 to anyone paying attention.

Exactly

Because he wants to deny his camp's wrong doing and instead make it all about the evil establishment oppressing him

This is textbook playing the victim and textbook Sanders.

He did this when his camp stole data too. Made the whole thing about how he was neing oppressed by the DNC.

He frankly has absolutely no integrity.

Adaren

If Sanders had managed to swallow his pride and condemn his extremist supporters, it might have actually generated a lot of positive press and good wishes, both from voters and the DNC. Ironic.

That also means that his statement wasn't tailored to score political points. It's his legitimate, unfiltered, shitty response.

If Sanders had managed to swallow his pride and condemn his extremist supporters, it might have actually generated a lot of positive press and good wishes, both from voters and the DNC. Ironic.

That also means that his statement wasn't tailored to score political points. It's his legitimate, unfiltered, shitty response.

Seems to fit Barney Frank's opinion of him as a loud mouthed ideologue more concerned with being morally superior to people rather than being an actual leader

Drek

Seems to fit Barney Frank's opinion of him as a loud mouthed ideologue more concerned with being morally superior to people rather than being an actual leader

I've come to the conclusion that when Barney Frank makes a statement about someone he's usually right. When he makes that statement in 1991 and he's still sticking to it in 2016 he's pretty well got that person pegged to their core, no doubt about it.

AlphaDump

Gold Member
But new audio obtained by CNN shows a senior Sanders aide -- on the eve of the Nevada convention -- encouraging the senator's supporters try to "take over" the convention, change party rules and continue the "revolution" that Sanders has long campaigned on.

"You should not leave," Joan Kato, the national delegates director, told Sanders supporters in a meeting last week at the Rumor Boutique Hotel. "I'm going to repeat that, unless you are told by someone from the campaign ... that you can leave, you should not leave."

After Sanders supporters thought the convention was being shut down prematurely, loud shouting ensued and there were reports of chairs being hurled. The phone number and address of the chairwoman of the Nevada Democratic Party, Roberta Lange, was posted on social media -- prompting a flood of more than 1,000 calls, angry voicemails, text messages and even death threats.

Time for Bernie to go.

BajiBoxer

Banned
So... after reading the Sanders response, and the audio, I'm out. No longer feeling the Bern. Sucks because we really need a strong social Democratic presence in U.S. politics. On that end, I'm pretty encouraged by how much support the Sanders campaign got, and I still have a soft spot for him overall.

A note for the future though... the best way to extract oneself from a political group during the primary season is to just fucking ghost them. I did not do that and HOLY SHIT TRUMP IS ELECTED PRESIDENT AND MURDERING EVERYBODY AND IT'S ENTIRELY MY FAULT FOR NOT POSTING ABOUT POSITIVE BERNIE THINGS ON THE INTERNET!

People be crazy.

Blader

It's really fucking brazen for Bernie and his campaign to label this whole situation as a failure of democracy when the whole thing was rooted in Bernie's unsuccessful bid to pack more convention delegates into a state where he had lost in votes to Hillary.

He. Lost. The. Vote!

You can't try to pack a state you lost with delegates AND complain about the system being rigged.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
He's toast Bernie bros. Swallow your pride and stop Trump.. And send a message to the RNC. If dems win huge in November you get some of Bernie's ideals enacted.

Burn it down and you get ashes and blisters.

This happened last time in Nevada. The results from the first election should stick. These multiple meetings of delegates and both parties trying to jockey for more delegates each stage is dumb. You could avoid all this animus by having a simpler system.

BajiBoxer

Banned
Time for Bernie to go.

Too be fair the chair hurling was overstated quite a bit. Basically, a local reporter (with a good rep from what I've heard) had reported it, and national media jumped all over the claim without verifying. Video was posted online showing the likely incident a little while ago. Basically, a dude looked like he was losing his mind a bit, then held the chair over his head like he was going to throw it. That's probably what the reporter saw. Another person talked him down, took the chair, and gave the guy a hug. I'm guessing with the crowd and confusion, the reporter didn't have a vantage point.

It was all a stupid situation with some shit things going on, but not the violent riot some are painting it to be.

JP_

Banned
Too be fair the chair hurling was overstated quite a bit. Basically, a local reporter (with a good rep from what I've heard) had reported it, and national media jumped all over the claim without verifying. Video was posted online showing the likely incident a little while ago. Basically, a dude looked like he was losing his mind a bit, then held the chair over his head like he was going to throw it. That's probably what the reporter saw. Another person talked him down, took the chair, and gave the guy a hug. I'm guessing with the crowd and confusion, the reporter didn't have a vantage point.

It was all a stupid situation with some shit things going on, but not the violent riot some are painting it to be.

Happen to have a link to the video? I was looking for videos of the "violence" but what I found was basically just protesting.

HylianTom

Banned
He's toast Bernie bros. Swallow your pride and stop Trump.. And send a message to the RNC. If dems win huge in November you get some of Bernie's ideals enacted.

Burn it down and you get ashes and blisters.

That, and when another Bernie candidate runs in the 2020s, there won't be a hostile judiciary in place that'll strike-down most of the progressive bills that he/she manages to sign into law.

Bernie's voters are the future of the party; their voices will get louder and louder until their generation gets its way on whom we select as a nominee. It'd be a damn pity if they decided to kneecap their own future electoral successes by allowing the GOP to haunt them via 2016's election results.

In political terms, it'd be like an episode of the Twilight Zone where the protagonist, after a long, epic struggle, gets something he's always wanted (a Bernielike President) - only to find that there's a Catch (short-lived celebrations, turning into dread upon realizing that the election results are basically for naught).

BajiBoxer

Banned
This happened last time in Nevada. The results from the first election should stick and these multiple meetings of delegates and both parties trying to jockey for more delegates each stage is dumb. You could avoid all this animus by having a simpler system.

Yeah, the three stage system there is pretty fucking ridiculous. It's not enough it have one shitty way to "vote" like a caucus, but it has to be compounded by adding multiple stages to the process.

That, and when another Bernie candidate runs in the 2020s, there won't be a hostile judiciary in place that'll strike-down most of the progressive bills that he/she manages to sign into law.

Bernie's voters are the future of the party; their voices will get louder and louder until their generation gets its way on whom we select as a nominee. It'd be a damn pity if they decided to kneecap their own future electoral successes by allowing the GOP to haunt them via 2016's election results.

In political terms, it'd be like an episode of the Twilight Zone where the protagonist, after a long, epic struggle, gets something he's always wanted (a Bernielike President) - only to find that there's a Catch (short-lived celebrations, turning into dread upon realizing that the election results are basically for naught).
If Clinton wins the election (which she probably will), she'll be running again as the incumbent.

BajiBoxer

Banned
Happen to have a link to the video? I was looking for videos of the "violence" but what I found was basically just protesting.

I'll see if I can find it. I didn't save the link. I saw it in a twitter post someone posted on another forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom