• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NX officially has the least time between reveal and release of any Nintendo platform

Status
Not open for further replies.
At this point I'm not holding out for any announcements this month. If we get one, great. But, in my opinion, all eyes should be on the investor meeting at the end of the month. Nintendo HAS to say at least SOMETHING at that point. It's pretty much definite.

Our expectations, at the very least, can be that we'll get word straight from Nintendo at that time, even if it's just details about their release plans as opposed to what we really want to know (games, price, etc.). It'll be the bare minimum to give us a taste.

Otherwise, we're using too much energy hoping for leaks and rumors. Just play some fucking games, people. You'll get your NX info soon enough.

What games? I put Super Mario Maker back in my Wii U becuase there's nothing else out right now. Still another week till Paper Mario Sticker Star U

Eusis

What games? I put Super Mario Maker back in my Wii U becuase there's nothing else out right now. Still another week till Paper Mario Sticker Star U
DQVII will last you a hell of a long time. Nevermind other platforms.

I mean, it's gotta suck if you're Wii U only, but I'd think most people here would be Wii U/3DS at the very least if you only stuck with Nintendo platforms.

TLZ

Banned
Hey we got an estimation (and a video) from Nate about (probably estimated) NX specs etc.

I would say this is better than nothing ;)

It really is nothing. The video was nothing new at all and just took the same posts we've read here countless times and put in there. And it's mostly "I think this or that" and "my sources". Nothing new and imo pointless.

BTW regarding the hybrid thing again, why's it mentioned it's a whole new way again? I swear yesterday alone I've watched a few videos talking about handhelds that played home console carts on the go and hook up to TV in the 90s. One of them was the Sega nomad. It played mega drive carts. I can't remember what the others were but seriously this isn't new at all.

Go on. What exactly do you mean?

What? I was criticizing capitalism.

It's really not a good idea for a business to flat-out ignore its investors, i.e. the people who own the company.

A company can do something that investors may not like at first because they view it as the smart thing in the long term IF they have very well-thought out and reasonable reasons for doing so, but they're definitely not going to frame it as "I DON'T NEED TO LISTEN TO YOU, YOU'RE NOT THE BOSS OF ME NOW" or anything like that. Then they'll just jump ship and move onto a different company, lower the company's market value... Actively peeving off investors isn't a good idea for a responsible company.

And the whole "Nintendo can go 38 years taking a loss" thing isn't the whole story. Again, they theoretically could, but how will that affect their relations with investors, other businesses, and consumers?

Neoxon

If we don't get any NX news by the time the investors' briefing rolls by, then there would be cause for concern. Until then, I'll remain on #TeamMarch for the system's launch.

Davey Cakes

If you bought a PC within the last five years you have options on Steam. Indies are a godsend.

Just look for alternative content. There's plenty of it. As a Nintendo fan I'm still playing a few things on Wii U (Shovel Knight: Plague of Shadows, Pushmo World, Game & Wario (maybe? I got it for free and still need to try it)) but otherwise there's plenty of good gaming to enjoy in other places. Nintendo is coasting on near-nothingness and I'm fine with it, so long as NX brings the goods.

Even if I didn't have a 4-year-old PC that could run most indie games of today, I still have a 3DS XL which is currently supported with content. In fact, I've been playing DS games (Picross 3D for example) as well as catching up on titles such as Professor Layton 5. If I didn't have those I'm pretty sure I could find SOMETHING to satisfy my gaming needs on a Nintendo platform or any other platform.

If the Wii U is really dead to you then fine. You can wait it out and play other content instead. Nintendo obviously believes that they can basically exit the console space for a short period before introducing NX. Embrace it. Embrace non-Nintendo games. Unless you're truly interested in Paper Mario: Color Splash, the Wii U's swan song other than Zelda: BOTW which might as well be NX exclusive. Nintendo is betting on your ability to wait.

I feel pretty certain it's been delayed and we're going to get it Q3 2017.

BUT also I was 100% sure that it wouldn't be a hybrid, so not sure I trust myself.

So we'll see. Although I do think that people read too much into the statement to investors earlier in the year. That was an internal update on plans for the financial year. It wasn't an announcement and it was never intended for the public.

Another thought: if NX is delayed to Q4, what games are Nintendo going to release next year? Obviously we have Q1 and Q2 3DS stuff, like Woolly World and Pikmin, but unless Nintendo do a rushed port like they did with Mario Maker 3DS, I don't see what else they can bring to Nintendo consoles (obviously nothing at all is coming to Wii U, bar Zelda). I mean really, if NX is delayed to autumn 2017, I'm imagining there being a period of no Nintendo releases at all, which would feel very strange indeed.

If we don't get any NX news by the time the investors' briefing rolls by, then there would be cause for concern. Until then, I'll remain on #TeamMarch for the system's launch.

I'm curious - what if they don't say anything until the investors' briefing, at which point they just reaffirm a March release with more details coming later this year? I don't at all think this is likely (though I'm not sure that matters anymore with Nintendo), just speaking hypothetically.

It really is nothing. The video was nothing new at all and just took the same posts we've read here countless times and put in there. And it's mostly "I think this or that" and "my sources". Nothing new and imo pointless..

The 3-4 times Wii U gflops would be new. The question is if his sources talked about the specs or if it's just guesswork...

hatchx

Banned

I'd agree with this logic.

I just can't see a January reveal and March release. I really think it'd be in Nintendo's best interest to show this thing off before the November shopping season. If anything just to drum interest away from PS4Pro and PSVR. Not to mention giving developers enough time to show off their product.

I am going to plant myself into #teamOctoberReveal. It's gotta happen.

They've had a really long time to R&D, design and test the NX. They mentioned it years ago, but the WiiU warning sirens were going off mid-late 2013. As far as I'm concerned, the March.2017 release was their 6 months of extra baking time. Another 6-9 months seems crazy given their barren release schedule. We know Zelda, WiiU ports, and 3rd party scraps can probably carry the console for the first 4-5 months.

I'm curious - what if they don't say anything until the investors' briefing, at which point they just reaffirm a March release with more details coming later this year? I don't at all think this is likely (though I'm not sure that matters anymore with Nintendo), just speaking hypothetically.

The guys on the NVC podcast were theorizing something similar: October remains devoid of news, then at the investor's meeting they unveil only the concept and say that the full reveal will occur at a later date, maybe as late as January.

If there's no NX news a week after Color Splash comes out then my money is on this prediction. In the meantime, I'll keep listening to Linkin Park's Hybrid Theory ITT while the theory continues to exist. I love these threads.

Neoxon

That's why I said "then there would be cause for concern" rather than "there will definitely be a delay", implying that something may be going wrong concerning the NX over at Nintendo (be it getting the marketing right or something being wrong with the hardware itself). Doing a reveal that close to launch would be cutting it a bit close, especially with a November reveal likely being overshadowed by the tons of releases going on at the time.

schaft0620

Journey, Transformers and Resident Evil Remastered are your PS+ games. 100ft Robot Golf comes out next week. Just Cause 3 got moved to clearance at Walmart. Abzu is on sale, Bioshock Collection and Inside are out, Skyrim Remastered in 3 weeks.

gafneo

Banned
Not the same thing at all.

Apple launch product that people know and want already... Also they are upgrades, not new concepts.
Yeah, if Nintendo does the order now trick, it will not work the same way as Apple products. Nintendo needed a year explaining what the hell a console hybrid was. This is even worse than a Steam Machine announcement. People still don't know what they are or why they would need one. Silence is the deadliest assassin in the gaming industry.

That's why I said "then there would be cause for concern" rather than "there will definitely be a delay", implying that something may be going wrong concerning the NX over at Nintendo (be it getting the marketing right or something being wrong with the hardware itself).

Gotcha.

Doing a reveal that close to launch would be cutting it a bit close, especially with a November reveal likely being overshadowed by the tons of releases going on at the time.

Not to mention late November and all of December is a bad time for reveals in general, with the holiday craze and all that. I wonder if Nintendo feels the same way you do regarding an early November reveal, though.

EDIT: Not saying your reasoning isn't sound, just that Nintendo hasn't been known to give a damn about their competition. Though I suppose that might've been part of what you meant about not getting the marketing right.

No indications of a delay at all yet, but if this thing truly is launching in March then they'll need to announce it pretty soon if they want to get out ahead of the inevitable Foxconn leaks. If it's in production or pre-production now then I'd expect a big leak within 2 or 3 weeks, so hopefully they will announce or reveal it before then.

AniHawk

No indications of a delay at all yet, but if this thing truly is launching in March then they'll need to announce it pretty soon if they want to get out ahead of the inevitable Foxconn leaks. If it's in production or pre-production now then I'd expect a big leak within 2 or 3 weeks, so hopefully they will announce or reveal it before then.

late october/yearly half report is probably where they might make an announcement of an announcement. at this point it makes the most sense. or maybe they'll reveal the name of it and the general outline of the platform to get it out of the way and do a video/conference reveal a week later.

I'm going to agree with Anihawk on this one. My money on the reveal date being in the annual report, and then doing the full-on reveal in early November.

Maybe they'll have some demo units shipped to retailers for the early part of next year.

Fewr

Journey, Transformers and Resident Evil Remastered are your PS+ games. 100ft Robot Golf comes out next week. Just Cause 3 got moved to clearance at Walmart. Abzu is on sale, Bioshock Collection and Inside are out, Skyrim Remastered in 3 weeks.
This, and princess maker on steam.

Speely

Banned

Samesies. The way I look at it, Fall just started. Every day might seem like an eternity when one is waiting for new info, but we are still within a reasonable window for a reveal soon and March release on schedule.

Akhe

oh don't worry they've got plenty of time to delay

Yeah, you're right. I can picture the next Direct already:

Nintendo: "Nintendo is not ready to discuss about NX yet but we have great announcement for you! Check it out - trailer - We're happy to annoucement Kirby And The Rainbow Curse for ios and later android."

cacildo

Stop talking about the NX otherwise this thread will be locked

Even worst if people start to post simpsons pictures and - god forbid - have fun

Eliseo

Yeah, you're right. I can picture the next Direct already:

Nintendo: "Nintendo is not ready to discuss about NX yet but we have great announcement for you! Check it out - trailer - We're happy to annoucement Kirby And The Rainbow Curse for ios and later android."

You can joke all you want, but that kind of game would sell wonders on smathphones.

Speely

Banned
Just Dance 2017 releases on the 25th in NA. Ubi has been predictably but also specifically talkative about the NX. Nintendo's Second Quarter Earnings Release IR meeting is the next day, on the 26th. The 25th is a Tuesday, which is when Nintendo usually announces stuff.

Where am I going with this? Who knows? Probably nowhere. I am on the ass end of a weekend bender and I only barely managed to pay my internet bill before it was overdue.

But there is definitely something going on there. Something's going on.

Everyday for the past month and half I've clicked on the Neogaf gaming tab just hoping to see that inevitable NX Nintendo Direct thread at the top of the forum. I've been catching L's ever since. I wasn't like this for the Wii U, so hopefully Nintendo blows me away.

NateDrake

Just Dance 2017 releases on the 25th in NA. Ubi has been predictably but also specifically talkative about the NX. Nintendo's Second Quarter Earnings Release IR meeting is the next day, on the 26th. The 25th is a Tuesday, which is when Nintendo usually announces stuff.

Where am I going with this? Who knows? Probably nowhere. I am on the ass end of a weekend bender and I only barely managed to pay my internet bill before it was overdue.

But there is definitely something going on there. Something's going on.
I'd say there is a reasonable chance of a reveal announcement coming at the earnings report. Wouldn't surprise me.

FZZ

Banned
Man what happened to Matt

I could've sworn he knew shit about the NX like last year. Dude even implied it was gonna be a handheld or handheld like device. Also wonder if Shikamaru Ninja heard anything since he knew some people that worked at Nintendo in Japan

oh well, investor meeting it is then

MuchoMalo

Banned

BUT also I was 100% sure that it wouldn't be a hybrid, so not sure I trust myself.

So we'll see. Although I do think that people read too much into the statement to investors earlier in the year. That was an internal update on plans for the financial year. It wasn't an announcement and it was never intended for the public.

Another thought: if NX is delayed to Q4, what games are Nintendo going to release next year? Obviously we have Q1 and Q2 3DS stuff, like Woolly World and Pikmin, but unless Nintendo do a rushed port like they did with Mario Maker 3DS, I don't see what else they can bring to Nintendo consoles (obviously nothing at all is coming to Wii U, bar Zelda). I mean really, if NX is delayed to autumn 2017, I'm imagining there being a period of no Nintendo releases at all, which would feel very strange indeed.

They tweeted it on all of their official accounts directly afterward and say March in any interviews for the public when asked. It was very much an announcement and intended for the public.

I'd say there is a reasonable chance of a reveal announcement coming at the earnings report. Wouldn't surprise me.

That would imply a reveal in November, which absolutely isn't happening. November needs to be focused on Pokemon and the NES/Famicom Mini. If we don't hear anything before the report, the only thing we'll hear at the report is a delay announcement and them confirming no reveal this year.

This is literally making my stomache sick. You pretty much just said you haven't been invited to any press event or hands on for NX anytime in the next couple weeks, which means reveal probably won't happen until November.

Banned
NX is coming before March 31st, 2017 come hell or high water. It could be an overheating mess with red rings of death or have no software but I guarantee you Nintendo won't miss this fiscal year with NX.

NX is coming before March 31st, 2017 come hell or high water. It could be an overheating mess with red rings of death or have no software but I guarantee you Nintendo won't miss this fiscal year with NX.
Sorry, but you're word has no weight to it. It's like false gold as far as I'm concerned.

I'd say it would make more sense for Nintendo to have their big NX reveal early-mid October. It doesn't get lost in the other anouncements that happened in September. If they anounced it in late october-early November, it'd more likely distract consumers from Nintendo's offerings this holiday season.

Banned
This is literally making my stomache sick. You pretty much just said you haven't been invited to any press event or hands on for NX anytime in the next couple weeks, which means reveal probably won't happen until November.
If it's a direct he will get an invite around the same time the public finds out there is a direct. And NX reveal is almost certainly a direct/digital event.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom