• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NX officially has the least time between reveal and release of any Nintendo platform

Status
Not open for further replies.

ggx2ac

When they did that, they fucked up. They priced 3DS because of the reveal and they had to cut the price 4 months later.

That's... Exactly what I said. They priced accordingly to the reception of the 3DS but screwed up with software to keep the price justified for the hardware.

marmoka

Banned
I expect the reveal, and games' announcements this month.

Launch details, such as the price, bundles, launch window games, and so on, in January, possibly in February.

ggx2ac

I expect the reveal, and games' announcements this month.

Launch details, such as the price, bundles, launch window games, and so on, in January, possibly in February.

Launch details in January along with Bayonetta for NX reveal. Hehe

I'm joking incase it's not obvious.

Anth0ny

pricing and release date definitely won't come until january at the earliest. even the wii and wii u only released that info 2 months before launch.

if we see anything this year, it'll be the box and some software. which is the most interesting stuff, tbh.

The more I think about it, the more it seems that a crazy blowout of informations late january would make more sense than a reveal late October.
It should let them 2 full months to hype the thing. Perhaps is it a better idea.
Or I am just trying to use inverted psychology poorly.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
The fun part will be when the "reveal" happens and we still don't really know that.

I have faith they fixed this problem. They openly admitted the Wii U reveal was confusing and people didn't know if it was its own system.

L Thammy

Software wasn't the problem. 250 dollars was just too high.

I'm pretty sure it was a huge problem for a lot of people. Most of the titles they started off with were way too niche, like Steel Diver. Personally, I spent most of my early 3DS days playing DS games. I picked up Samurai Warriors and Dead or Alive at launch, but I don't think those are for everyone and it took a while before the situation was remedied.

Anth0ny

Software wasn't the problem. 250 dollars was just too high.

3ds had a GARBAGE launch lineup. probably the worst nintendo launch lineup ever. pilotwings and steel diver. lol. so I think it was a combination of both.

wasn't until the first holiday season that things got rolling with mario and mario kart. and I think OOT 3D came out that summer. nintendo tackled both problems at once: huge price drop and two huge titles, and 3ds was ok from there.

it would be nice if nintendo didn't make the same mistake again with nx.

It's getting very worrying that we still have nothing at this point. We're less than 6 months away from launch, and developers still don't have sufficient deployment of this thing for leaks to happen. It speaks volumes about the amount of time that developers will have with the system, and most importantly, that QA depts will have to properly debug games made for it prior to launch.

This suggests one of two possibilities: 1) Non first-party games will be rushed out the door or they will be easy shit-ports of existing console games. Speaking from experience, less than 6 months is not enough time to experiment with and debug brand new concepts for typical AAA games. or 2) Somehow, defying all recent videogame history, developers are succeeding at preventing leaks. And let's face it, this is very unlikely.

I'm starting to believe that March is no longer in the cards for this thing, unless Nintendo is willing to put up with absolutely terrible 3rd party lineup at launch time.

L Thammy

I'm just going to roll a twelve sided die and then I'm going to insist that Nintendo has obviously delayed the announcement to then.

May. They're announcing at May. Nothing else makes sense at this point.

March 31st is the weirdest date ever, it's literally the end of the fiscal year. I don't think we should expect anything to launch there, but I do think I reveal is coming at least this year and it'll be announced soon-ish (which I would say is October - early November)

georly

3ds had a GARBAGE launch lineup. probably the worst nintendo launch lineup ever. pilotwings and steel diver. lol. so I think it was a combination of both.

wasn't until the first holiday season that things got rolling with mario and mario kart. and I think OOT 3D came out that summer. nintendo tackled both problems at once: huge price drop and two huge titles, and 3ds was ok from there.

it would be nice if nintendo didn't make the same mistake again with nx.

If 3DS had waited 6-9~ months for eshop, Zelda, star fox, 3d land, Mario kart 7, and launched at 199, it would have been a beast. I'd wager it might have been able to pull of 249 a little better, but still I think they were banking too hard on 3D.

I'm hoping nx learned from 3DS and launches when it's ready at a reasonable price with a good lineup of games. That's really all you can ask from a new system.

I'm hoping that Nintendo is banking on NX's software rather than hardware this time. We'll see I guess.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
pricing and release date definitely won't come until january at the earliest. even the wii and wii u only released that info 2 months before launch.

if we see anything this year, it'll be the box and some software. which is the most interesting stuff, tbh.

Yep, they just need to show what it is so people can decide whether they want to save up for that or shell out for PS4 Pro and/or PSVR etc. this holiday season.

If they don't show anything, and are indeed still launching in March, they'll really hit that point of budgets (both money and gaming time) still being swamped by holiday hardware and game purchases--not to mention all the killer games coming out early 2017 with everything that got delayed from this fall.

I'd be shocked if they didn't launch NX in March as it would be a shitshow if they delay Zelda again or put out the Wii U version before NX and thus cannibalize one of the big launch titles that will get Wii U owners to upgrade.

So I'm still guessing they reveal the hardware and some game demos sometimes this month to get out in front of the holiday shopping boom next month and on the future purchase radar of gamers.

Jackano

This suggests one of two possibilities: 1) Non first-party games will be rushed out the door or they will be easy shit-ports of existing console games. Speaking from experience, less than 6 months is not enough time to experiment with and debug brand new concepts for typical AAA games. or 2) Somehow, defying all recent videogame history, developers are succeeding at preventing leaks. And let's face it, this is very unlikely.

IMO, it's
3) Nintendo intend to drive the console itself and alone for the first year. In fact this doesn't change much from the usual. The only difference is that they don't bother to talk to 3rd parties too soon.
Starting from Wii U's situation, there is even more pros with this than cons.

Thraktor

I have faith they fixed this problem. They openly admitted the Wii U reveal was confusing and people didn't know if it was its own system.

I suspect this is a large part of the reason they're leaving the reveal so close to launch. It allows them to show a finished product with near-finished games to make the unveil as clear and straightforward as possible. That is, the complete opposite of Wii U.

IMO, it's
3) Nintendo intend to drive the console itself and alone for the first year. In fact this doesn't change much from the usual. The only difference is that they don't bother to talk to 3rd parties too soon.
Starting from Wii U's situation, there is even more pros with this than cons.
Pretty much. Iwata made the statement they're going to do this in a Nintendo way or something like that. To me they know they screwed up by not having their first party games (and big games) right from the get go with Wii U.

It didn't help they never did HD games and Miyamoto even admitted they had problems. They won't have those problems now. They've clearly been developing games for the NX for awhile now. Just look at how dead the Wii U is and the 3DS isn't getting any big Nintendo first party titles.

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
Starting to think they might save the reveal for the TGAs in December. They revealed a lot of Zelda stuff there previously.

Like they said "we'll release Zelda in 2015. No, sorry, 2016. Did we say 2016? We meant 2017 of course lol."
Again, why compare video games to hardware? Video games get delayed all the time by every publisher. Skittzo showed only the N64 was delayed as far as hardware goes for Nintendo.

Not to be doom and gloom again, but if it doesn't announce in October, I don't think it releases in March 2017.

I have no insider knowledge am not involved in videogame industry what so ever.

But at this point, I think something has gone massively wrong. I personally believe that NX was intended to launch in November 2016. Then pushed to March 2017. If that does not happen, then something is up.

Maybe they had to change specs, maybe something happened with production run, maybe they are trying to be purchased by Apple, Disney Google, Microsoft or someone else. But something is/could be up. Google and Microsoft both are supposed to have events this much.

I also don't believe they currently have the robust third party support people on the inside are claiming. I think it is very much a "wait and see approach" with western third parties.

I think they are praying Pokemon, Nes classic, and Mario iOS can carry them thru this holiday. I have felt this way for a while, as brilliant as Nintendo is, and they are. Nintendo may be out of their depth at this point. They may need to partner with someone who can help with online infrastructure, and or facets of a modern system.

That being said, I firmly believe that this is going to be a system for children. It seems like the appropriate market to chase if you are Nintendo. They will abandon the hardcore, and teenager and up crowd for the most part.

georly

Starting to think they might save the reveal for the TGAs in December. They revealed a lot of Zelda stuff there previously.

They likely want to be the spotlight, not a bullet point.

NX reveal will be its own thing, not a part of something else.

Doesn't mean TGAs cant show off more NX games or new trailers.

AniHawk

March 31st is the weirdest date ever, it's literally the end of the fiscal year. I don't think we should expect anything to launch there, but I do think I reveal is coming at least this year and it'll be announced soon-ish (which I would say is October - early November)

march 31 wouldn't be outside of the realm of possibility. nintendo's taken a real liking to friday launches and i have a hard time believing that wouldn't happen. that said, i'd much sooner expect the 24th or the 17th.

pronk420

What if it gets announced tomorrow... at the Google event?! That would make the things android guy was saying about this being remembered in 8 years a bit more sane. Plus the google event is all about hardware. Google NX? That would explain why Apple had Mario on stage, for Nintendo to appease them for going with Google.

Again, why compare video games to hardware? Video games get delayed all the time by every publisher. Skittzo showed only the N64 was delayed as far as hardware goes for Nintendo.
Well, that one example does show that delayed hardware isn't unprecedented. It is a possibility for NX. How likely it is would be another discussion, of course.

I was convinced the NX would be delayed after watching the most recent 3DS Nintendo Direct. If the NX really is going to be a console/handheld hybrid and it is actually releasing in March, then there was no reason to unveil a bunch of upcoming 3DS software like that. Not to mention the bulk of what was shown screamed "Oh shit we need something to sell, and FAST". No ideal when it will be revealed, but I'd expect the NX to hit stores Summer 2017 at the earliest. Probably later.

spekkeh

Banned
What if it gets announced tomorrow... at the Google event?! That would make the things android guy was saying about this being remembered in 8 years a bit more sane. Plus the google event is all about hardware. Google NX? That would explain why Apple had Mario on stage, for Nintendo to appease them for going with Google.
Yes because Apple needs to be appeased. Because that's what Google does. When it releases other company's game consoles.

Wtf.

NathanS

Well there is the possibility of the delay being because of game delays if they are really pushing to make sure they have a strong opening of games ready at launch.

How did we come to the conclusion that this thing is getting delayed?

It might be a premature conclusion to jump to, but Nintendo's silence on this thing could be indicative of a delay. I'm not going to be one of those people claiming this as fact, but it wouldn't surprise me at this point.

MoonFrog

The fun part will be when the "reveal" happens and we still don't really know that.
Yep. Going to be another couple of months of speculation until someone opens it up.

But personally, idc about the exact nature of the innards so much as the conceptual direction of the device and some wide grain idea of the hardware capabilities.

I feel a partnership would be very beneficial with Microsoft. They could explore those school apps to teach kids things with Mario and Minecraft. It was rumored earlier that Nintendo was interested in expanding into education.

Microsoft showed hololens demo of someone playing NES Super Mario.

Imagine though, a handheld device for aimed at kids with Nintendo, Minecraft, and Banjo. Grow them into Xbox gamers as they grow with Halo, Gears, Age of Empires, and more mature Nintendo properties. It would be an interesting partnership. Transform from games individually to a service platform. I know it sounds fanboyish, but these are the things I think Nintendo should be internally discussing. Disney would be the best example.

And put your tin foil hats on kids... Remember when Microsoft showed that device that projected Halo over your tv and entire wall. It worked in conjunction with Xbone. Nintendo just released that patent that was similar to that original idea.

hoserx

I think he means the actual hardware itself, not the functionality of the system. Nintendo still hasn't "revealed" the specifications of the hardware inside of the WiiU.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom