• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official (I guess) Wii U Demo Station impressions thread

Whelp, the Wii U in the GameStop near me has already become the neighborhood babysitter. I went into GameStop yesterday to pay off my ACIII pre-order and there was a pretty long line to check out. I was there for a good 20 minutes and through that entire time there was a group of pre-teens playing the Wii U with no parents in sight. They just kept starting the demo over and over. I guess that's good for Nintendo because they'll spread the word. But, it must suck to be a GameStop employee when that happens.

At the GS I go to they'll kick a kid out if they're just playing on a kiosk and their parents don't show up in a few minutes.

Got a chance to demo it this weekend. Rayman is gorgeous, really is a good looking title. The controller is actually lighter then I expected, but still has a nice weight to it.

My only complaints is the that the buttons on the controller just feel too small. The size makes it awkward to play with at first and will take some getting used to which will come in time. Also the color saturation imho leaves much to be desired. The vita has spoiled me on screens. It just seems so washed out.

Setre

Got to play a demo today at GameStop. First thing I noticed is how pretty the game was, second thing was how big the controller was. At first I was skeptical that the controller would be comfortable but after a minute I got use to it. Buttons all felt fine to me, although I can see it being awkward going from the right analog/triggers to the face buttons. I’ll also probably preorder Rayman, really enjoyed the running level.

They had it at my Best Buy yesterday. I played Rayman on it, only demo that was available.

Impressions were:
- The pad is HUGE. A lot bigger than I thought it was gonna be.
- The LZ and RZ button felt comfortable and intutitive
- The screen was responsive when selecting to play a game, and during the game as well, though it had very limited use there.
- Not really any lag between TV and pad
- After awhile I didn't even care to look at the screen on the pad since there was nothing there and was just looking at the TV. I kinda feel the screen would work good for something like maddden or a racing game as a rearview mirror, but I honestly don't see it as something a lot of people would bother with unless the TV was taken and they wouldn't mind playing their game on the small screen
- I honestly don't see people that are able to do similar stuff with their ipads/androids being overly impressed with it

I got to play this yesterday,
Like others say the pad is unexpectedly huge.
Didn't see any lag at all
Looked great, for Rayman, but nonetheless looked great.
Gamepad was very very comfortable, at least for the 15 mins I played.
Def stoked to pickup in November on release. Gamepad felt very ver solid as all Nintendo products are, basically kid-proof. It has a very light textured feel, at least I thought. But def felt very solid, which is excellent.
Screen on gamepad wasn't hd, but didn't look bad either, looked similar to the bottom screen of the DS.
Sticks were very responsive and the triggers, I absolutely loved!! They felt great, very tight and responsive.

Do you guys think the size of the gamepad will end up being not quite ideal for action-heavy games like Bayonetta? That's kind of my only concern at this point.

Do you guys think the size of the gamepad will end up being not quite ideal for action-heavy games like Bayonetta? That's kind of my only concern at this point.

Nah, you just rest it in your lap. Having your hands spread a bit wider apart is actually easier on your wrists.

Setre

I'd imagine the Pro Controller will be compatible with most games if it did become an issue.

liger05

Did anyone get to use the pro controller.

My friend went to comicom in London and he hated the gamepad and the pro controller. He felt they both felt cheap and poor build quality.

My friend went to comicom in London and he hated the gamepad and the pro controller. He felt they both felt cheap and poor build quality.
I used the Pro Controller at a Wii U experience a couple months ago to play Rayman. I thought it was OK. I didn't think it was cheap. But, I think the swapping of the buttons and right analog stick will take some getting used to.

Amir0x

Banned
Am i a bad person for not loving it? I downloaded the demo for the 3ds and i thought it was nice but nothing more than average..
I have to say i don't game a lot (this year i only played wind waker, kid icarus and xenoblade)

edit: forgot 999

3DS version is by far the inferior edition. That said, if you didn't like it at all... that is to say, if you found the gameplay itself to be incredibly wanting... then I doubt the other versions would change your mind.

But also the demo is not a good indication of the type of wild level design and uproarious fun to be had during time trials.

Tech doesn't bother me like it bothers others; as you said.

yup. The Wii U screen is by no means bad enough to like RUIN the experience (not the same way the Wiimote microphone was so bad that it actively ruined experiences for me until I turned it off, anyway), and if you don't really care about these aspects, it's even less of a problem

G.O.O.

What are the impressions on nintendoland so far ?

I preordered the NL pack because I'm not sure I'd enjoy zombi U, but I might change if the latter turns out to be the good game.

A few months ago I got to play the system at the NYC Wii U event. While there I played I think like 4 - 5 games from Nintendoland. The games were fun, and were ideal for large groups of people, if that makes sense. Kind of the same way people would pull out Wii Sports for a party, I can totally see the same happening with Nintendoland. Hopefully Nintendo smartens up and gets a Nintendoland demo into these stations.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.

I preordered the NL pack because I'm not sure I'd enjoy zombi U, but I might change if the latter turns out to be the good game.

I only played a couple of the multiplayer titles for it, but it should be an entertaining party game. The real test will be the single player games. I could play golf by myself in Wii Sports for hours, but I'm not sure if the same will be true for any Nintendo Land game. It is surprising that single player games in Nintendo Land are not being demo'ed at stations in Gamestops and Best Buys.

yup. The Wii U screen is by no means bad enough to like RUIN the experience (not the same way the Wiimote microphone was so bad that it actively ruined experiences for me until I turned it off, anyway), and if you don't really care about these aspects, it's even less of a problem

Is it really that bad? it seems to have better ppi than ipad2 according to some techies around here. Well from the videos it looked normal and seemed much better than 3ds screen.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Is it really that bad? it seems to have better ppi than ipad2 according to some techies around here. Well from the videos it looked normal and seemed much better than 3ds screen.

I didn't noticed it being washed out when I played, which seems to be the biggest concern, but I wasn't spending a ton of time on it.. or looking for it. Might be resolved some what by adjusting brightness settings once people have these in their homes, or maybe not.

kunonabi

No. The controller is still very light despite the size and I don't see how having more space between your hand's will have any negative effects.

dysonEA

Played Ninja Gaiden 3 at one of those Wii U events, the controller felt fine with it.

Linkhero1

Don't like the Pro controller. The gamepad was great though. My issue with the Pro controller is the placement of the buttons. I know it's something we have to get used to, but it still bothered me a lot. It felt cheap, I'm assuming your friend plays 360 a lot, is because compared to the 360, the 360 controller feels more comfortable in your hands.

JaseMath

Got the chance to try Rayman at a Best Buy - looked gorgeous. I would've much rather played NSMBU or Nintendoland, but whatever. The controller was much bigger than I anticipated and honestly, it felt a bit awkward at first. It wasn't uncomfortable, just different...I wouldn't be surprised if it gets uncomfortable over long play sessions. I can definitely see myself playing more than a few games "pro style". Also, the touchscreen was much better than I expected as well, specifically the resolution. I guess I expected it to look like the DS touchpad...so glad it isn't. I thought it looked great.

In my time at the kiosk, there were several people who all asked me the same question: "Is that the new Wii controller?" Nintendo needs to make it clear NOW the entire system is new, not just the controller. Sticker shock is also going to kill some of those sales I'd imagine.

Speaking personally...sold. Totally sold. Don't care what the specs are. I walked away thinking it fixed everything I hated about touch-screen gaming while offering a ton of potential.

Kyzer

Banned
I was sort of unimpressed with the controller...the screen surprised me, its really good, but the way the controller feels...idk I guess I was really hoping it could become the main third party platform, and I could not imagine playing CoD on it comfortably, for example.

The Rayman demo glitched for me and stopped working while I was playing.

Ill wait to really try it out before I make my final judgment...but I mean. Im gonna buy the thing no matter what, and I bet Mario will control like a dream with it.

Qurupeke

Today, I tried Wii U for the first time. I played many different games. The Gamepad is very light and I was instanly got used to it. Rayman Legends was awesome. Especially the rhythm stages. I actually found it better than NSMBU.

BlankaBR

Banned
Today, I tried Wii U for the first time. I played many different games. The Gamepad is very light and I was instanly got used to it. Rayman Legends was awesome. Especially the rhythm stages. I actually found it better than NSMBU.
You played many different games ahn???...................

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.

Yeah, it makes a lot better use of the Gamepad at least. I'm a huge Mario fan but when I got hands-on time with both, I walked away anticipating Legends more.

I'm sure I will end up liking NSMBU more in the end though.

In my time at the kiosk, there were several people who all asked me the same question: "Is that the new Wii controller?" Nintendo needs to make it clear NOW the entire system is new, not just the controller

You'd think this would be obvious just by looking at the improved graphics in the Rayman demo. guess not?

After checking Best Buy after class almost religiously, I finally got to play with Wii U for five or so minutes.

The GamePad: It was actually a bit smaller in height and wider than what I had imagined. The controller felt a little strange in my hand. It was as though my fingers wanted to wrap around the grips, but they just weren't deep enough. I wouldn't say it was uncomfortable, though. I forgot about it after a short while. I love all the buttons. The shoulder buttons feel great, the four face buttons feel nice, and the Control Pad is awesome. I didn't have a problem whatsoever with the analog stick placement.

The Screen:
I couldn't figure out if there were a way to play only on the GamePad, but I spent some time in the menu just to get a feel for the screen. The quality was fine to me. I probably would have noticed a difference if I played Rayman on the screen, but I thought it looked good. As for the responsiveness, I was really impressed. It's not quite capacitive, but it's very close. I was really worried watching the Nintendo TVii demos because it looked rather jumpy there. However, there is a noticeable improvement over Nintendo's past resistive screens. It's pretty neat.

Rayman: Looks gorgeous. I didn't really spend much time playing (I was really interested in the controller), but I was able to play the music stage. It was pretty fun, I suppose, but I was never into Rayman. I don't plan on buying it, but the visuals are fantastic.

SuperPac

Got to play around with it today.

GamePad - Love it. Has just the right weight/heft where it'll be comfortable for long play sessions. The screen is really nice - I was imagining a sub-3DS XL screen by some of the unfavorable comments here but it looks great and is really responsive to touch - doesn't seem like I'll have to pull out the stylus much. The only thing that was odd is going from GamePad screen to TV screen in the Rayman demo. That's going to take some getting used to.

Rayman Legends - Really fun little game. I still haven't played Origins but the platforming was fun and the controller was really responsive while guiding Rayman around. Black Betty level, of course, is awesome.

Disappointed that there weren't more demos in there but hopefully that'll come.

Tmdean

Banned
I was surprised at how responsive the GamePad screen was to touch. It's even better than the 3DS, and I consider the 3DS screen to be pretty acceptable for finger-based touch.

Admittedly, it requires a tiny bit more pressure than capacitive screens, but then again the cheaper capactive screens are super inaccurate when light touches are used. I hope people who made snap judgments upon hearing that the screen was resistive get a chance to try it out and reconsider their opinion.

Drago

I found out today that my local GS has a demo unit in.

Will be checking that out later tomorrow. Can't wait to finally feel the GamePad and play some Rayman...

RedSwirl

Quick impressions from my phone of the GamePad:
-Nothing uncomfortable about it other than the tight cord to which it was tied.
-The Dpad and face buttons feel superb in my opinion. They remind me a lot of the pad and buttons on the DS Lite, which in my opinion is a very good thing. Start and Select feel great too.
-Rayman looked clear as hell. Didn't notice a jaggy.
-Game played as well as ever but with enough new mechanics and modes.
-Didn't really do much with the screen but I noticed no lag and felt good enough to the touch. Probably not iPhone level but definitely good enough for playing console games in conjunction with buttons. Definitely doesn't feel the same as the DS or 3DS touch screen. It's like a level above that in terms of smoothness.
-The console itself is like the 72 Deuce of game consoles.

Edit: I'd probably be getting one this year if I wasn't trying to build a new computer.

I work at a local Best Buy as an inventory associate. This past Monday, they finally setup the Wii U which was sitting on a pallet for over 2 weeks. It was mind-blowing when the pallet showed up. It was full of boxes that said, "Wii U/Hold for Nintendo Rep." and all that stuff. I was pretty excited, but I knew we'd have to wait for a third party to install it, so I got over it and forgot about it. When it was finally setup, I noticed because all the old Wii stuff was in the warehouse, ready to be thrown out. I was like, "Shyeahh!" So before I started working on that day's truck, I went to go look at it and took an associate who isn't a gamer with me. They set it up on a 42'' HDTV. I'm sure it was about that size. First impression was:
"Sweeeeet!" The controller was a lot bigger than I thought it would be, but that's not a bad thing! I have huge hands so it's nice to have a nice big controller. What worried me the most before ever seeing a Wii U in person was the quality of the controller's screen. I'm no longer worried, it looked awesome, and in my OPINION, a heck of a lot better than the N3DS screens. I didn't get to play, but I boot up the Rayman demo. Looked awesome, but it's a 2D game, not sure how intense that is on the hardware. Still waiting for new demos. Although, I noticed that the trailers looked awesome. I can't tell if it's just the HD Video, but man, The Wonderful 101 looked fantastic! I wasn't a big believer until I saw some videos, and games usually look better when they run in real time, so that was exciting!

Great not a single Gamestop, Futureshop or Best Buy around me has a kiosk up. I wonder if there are even any up in Toronto...but I'm not willing to take a 2-3 hour bus ride for that.

Man, as great as Legends is, I really hope we get new demos sooner than later.

It'd be nice to preview things like New Super Mario Bros. U, NintendoLand, Lego City Stories or similar. I mean, yeah, NSMBU I can kind of guess how it'd play based on the previous games, but still.

Hiltz

I got to look at the console the other day and despite being elongated (like a stretched out Wii) , it still appeared small to me as if you could easily pick it up with one hand. I checked Target again, but still no demo station set up. Nintendo sure could use more of em out at retailers by now. I noticed the touchscreen display on the GamePad was filthy covered in numerous fingerprint smudges. Gonna have to keep that baby clean!

jaypah

I'm glad to hear that the screen responds to touch better than the 3DS. That was my only worry as the 3DS screen only registers my touch about 75 percent of the time, no matter how hard I'm pressing. I'm a habitual nail trimmer but I've been letting my index finger nail grow out a little just in case. I hate having to whip out the stylus unless I'm playing a strictly stylus game.

Top Bottom