• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC vs. Next Gen Consoles: Your current rig really won't cut it

The fans in GPUs are loud, but heat in the case isnt an issue for any decent rig as good rigs have full towers. Thus, they have a lot of space for air flow. Consoles on the other hand will never have as much space as a full tower.

What kind of garbage vacuum cleaner GPUs are you thinking of? My 670 is more silent than the HD twins.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Are they? I havent seen this happen. Who are you talking about?
Not sure exactly who he's referring too but I've always loved Naughty Dog's ever so slightly stylized style when it comes to human characters. It's just enough so it's barely noticeable but helps avoid uncanny valley and such.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
I somehow doubt makes of Total War, PlanetSide 2, Cliffs of Dover and many others built their games thinking about console RAM and CPUs.
Total War certainly isn't and that game is truly next-gen, due to the sheer amount of individual models on screen.

PlanetSide 2 is a PS4 game, you can be certain of that. It was joked about on an IGN stream with the developers that future platforms are targeted and then joked around when "Orbis" was mentioned.

I don't think PlanetSide 2 is that great though. Just a vast openness. World geometry is very boring, animation are very weak.
I haven't seen the 2000 players all at one spot, only smaller skirmishes with up to 100 people per side, so I don't know how much to make of the 2000 players per continent claim. To me PS2 seems like a PS1-HD.

This thread makes me sad.

The only reason what the OP is talking about ever happened is because console makers were spending bunches on private R&D AND taking a loss on selling hardware in exchange for royalties from selling software.

With the economy the way it is and with the rumors coming down the pipe of what kind of tech we're actually going to see in these machines, it is very doubtful that the same thing is going to happen again. I mean, hell, it'd be nice if it did (I'd FINALLY have games that properly push the hardware and give me a reason to upgrade), but I don't see any compelling reasons to believe that that's going to be the case.

Either way, even if the next-gen consoles are only the hardware equal of current-gen PCs, they'll still be a massive upgrade from the 360 and PS3. Perhaps we will finally see open-world games without low-resolution textures and draw distances hamstringed by the lack of available RAM? One can dream!

IceIpor

I am not saying that this list should be a bannable offense... I am just saying people posting this should be kicked in the nuts.

That won't happen. Ever.

Lower power
Higher performance
Larger die
Lower price

No.

I'm going to agree with this quote.
I see no reason why they would develop a more powerful GPU and release it at a lower price than their current GPUs. It would just cannibalize their sales way too much.

On a related note, how much are people expecting these next-gen systems to cost?
Sounds like some people believe these systems should perform better than a ~$800 PC at a ~$400 price point. Maybe if these consoles were a couple of years away or something...

EVIL

For example, devs will never release a PC game that can ONLY run off an SSD, but they can certainly make such a game for a next gen console that only supports SSDs and not traditional slow HDDs.

as far as I know, this bit above is impossible.

You have a point with the closed system bit trough, but that was only a real deal breaker in this gen. next gen consoles still have an advantage because of the closed system, but "evidence" *read: rumors* point that next gen consoles are using off shelf pc parts and no custom hardware, so the only diffrence is the os, and that makes a minimal impact in terms of performance. I will be very surprised if we see a percentage larger then 10% increase in performance compared to a pc with the same specs of a next gen console.

Top Bottom