• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation Plus increasing in price to $59.99 usd/$69.99 cad starting Sept 22

LewieP

Wow. I let my subscription lapse a while back, and I'm probably done with it for good now.

In my view (with exceptions) the quality of the selection of games has certainly dipped.

A price increase is fine, but it's not the essential service it once was.

I primarily play single player games, and I'm fine doing multiplayer on PC.

sirap

Arrogant sony etc etc

Vote with your wallet! I stopped renewing a long time ago. PS+ games just weren't doing it for me, and I don't buy enough digital PS4 games to justify the savings.

Vitacat

Hmm. Problem is I've come to rely on PS+ a lot.

A vast amount of my Vita library and some good console stuff I have is from PS+. And if I stop the subscription then all of it disappears. Poof.

The console tax that MS and Sony love to charge continues to be ridiculous.

It's 2016. Online gaming should be free on consoles for all now. Fucking retarded.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Will this price increase cover the costs of replacing the trash wifi chip in the PS4?

kobu

I miss the early days of ps+ where I was satisfied with the games and wasn't forced to have it for online play.

Boke1879

Just wish I could cross-section the posters who said they'd never pay for online last gen when MS raised XBL prices and see how many are OK with it now.

Like I'd rather them not raise the price either, but if you are paying full price for Live and PS+ you're doing it wrong. There are tons of sales on those things

Fewr

What? The value's just not there for me personally anymore. I was on the fence about renewing my subscription for $50. For $60, I'm out.
Same here. My renewal is in Oct, so I have until then to make a decision.

In general, I don't feel I'm getting my money's worth with this. I could potentially make better use of my money by purchasing the stuff I do play even if the discount is not as great. Also, I never play online.

Jonboy

What? Why? I guess I get it. But people won't be happy.

I've actually been wondering if MS is getting ready to make Live free entirely when you consider the fact that all their games are going to be on PC from here on out...where online is already free. With this news, it would be a great counter-move by MS.

kennyamr

I understand why they do it.
I am hopeful this will mean better free PS4 games.
I know it's only 10$ more, what a game costs.

But I also get why people will complain about this move.
Let's see how Sony manages this.

Vuze

Haha, ridiculous. But turns out people pay for a forced shitty service, so I'm kinda surprised they didn't up the price earlier

giphy.gif

I'd wait until September 7th to start flipping out, people. It's still $10 a month so I'm happy, but I'd totally buy a full year depending on the reason for the increase!

And they announce it through an edit on a 1-month old blog post? wtf

Yeah, I found this pretty shady, like doing damage control before any damage was done ¿What is the problem on being upfront honest and direct to your consumers? (for example, writing a new blog post) Yeah, you are gonna get heat but at least you were straight about the changes.

I was thinking of renewing my subscription, but I don't think I want to now. PS+ hasn't had any free games that interested me in a while. I was also hoping to stock up if they had a decent sale on Black Friday, but now those sale prices will probably look like the current price. Nah, I'm okay Sony, you can keep that.

Tagyhag

Hmm. Problem is I've come to rely on PS+ a lot.

A vast amount of my Vita library and some good console stuff I have is from PS+. And if I stop the subscription then all of it disappears. Poof.

Well, yeah.

That's the only reason why they have it expire on you.

They know if they trap you, you'll continue to pay no matter what.

benzopil

Sony found its money maker, they decided there was no reason to be cheaper than Xbox Live Gold.

And the games will continue being ten dollar indie platformers because fuck you, you're paying for online play now.

I really liked platforming sections in Saints Row, NBA, Furi, Rebel Galaxy... Oh wait.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
NBA 2K16 is my favorite indie platformer.

It was in a Humble Bundle for a few dollars cheaper than most indie platformers around the same time it was on PS+

Gvitor

60 usd to play online? No thanks.

I'm glad to the service because I managed to play a lot of games in the PS3 era that I had a mild curiosity but probably wouldn't play otherwise, but ever since the PS4 launched, the game offerings have been terrible for me aside from very vew games. And I'm not big on online play either, so I'll just keep not renewing it like I've been doing for the past years.

I hope they at least up the quality of the offered games for you guys that are sticking with it.

Plus is such garbage now a days. My sub runs out in June so this price increase doesn't affect me now, but I doubt I'll resubscribe at that bullshit price.

Gecoma

But how does this effect me, the protagonist of reality? Is the £ price also changing? Gonna have to question my love for Rocket League if it is.

Top Bottom