• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Press Conference in Japan on Sep 13

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I expect:

1. Wild Arms 6th Ignition
2. SaGa: Scarlet Grace (for PSV and PS4)
3. 13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim
4. Ni no Kuni 2
5. Kingdom Hearts III

It's worth pointing out that if it is happening then you really shouldn't expect much at TGS. The series creator had a meeting with Sony back in January about the possibility of bringing the series back. So even if they did get something going that means that it's going to be super early. Which means that we'd probably get an announcement, some art, and possibly some music at most. Michiko Naruke (the composer for the series) was also with him during the meeting, so she'd be back if a revival is happening.

iboshow

Banned
t1473753600z4.png

Some Nobody

It's worth pointing out that if it is happening then you really shouldn't expect much at TGS. The series creator had a meeting with Sony back in January about the possibility of bringing the series back. So even if they did get something going that means that it's going to be super early. Which means that we'd probably get an announcement, some art, and possibly some music at most. Michiko Naruke (the composer for the series) was also with him during the meeting, so she'd be back if a revival is happening.

Just an announcement would be more than enough, right?

Shin-chan

Come on DMC5. And a NiOh release date. And throw in a Ninja Gaiden 4 announcement while we're at it too.

I'm trying to think of what RPG announcements would actually get me excited at the moment. Square are dropping the ball on everything they've released from Japan, Tales just shipped, Atlus are all in on Persona 5 atm, who else does that leave (other than Sony themselves ... who haven't made a JRPG in like a decade)?

Shin-Ra

Ni no Kuni II's the other known quantity I'd like to finally see more of. With the original reveal expected at E3 2015 being pushed to PSX, it seemed like the focus was on western audiences but then they missed this year's E3 too.

Now that I've got DMC5 out, it's time to make a more realistic list of titles that I expect to see at this conference.

- The Legend of Heroes Trails of Cold Steel III teaser trailer - PS4 exclusive
- New info on RE7 - a trailer/teaser demo featuring combat
- New info and trailer on Danganronpa 3
- New Onechanbara and/or Senran Kagura - for PS4 (really loved their latest installments on PS4)
- Yakuza 6 - 101 trailer featuring the GAWD Shun Akiyama
- New Compile Heart JRPG that builds on the amazing turned based gameplay from Omega Quintet but this time with actual story and tolerable cast
- Dead or Alive 6 - Come on TN it's time!
- Nioh release date - Beta seems to be easier than Alpha but still, I'll buy this game. Just give it to me already!
- Resident Evil Revelations 3 - Okay we are getting into fantasy zone again, so I'll stop here

I would have added Persona 5 to the list but I'm on media blackout so I would rather they didn't show anything lol

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
- Resident Evil Revelations 3 - Okay we are getting into fantasy zone again, so I'll stop here

Maybe Resident Evil 2 Remake first.

I would have added Persona 5 to the list but I'm on media blackout so I would rather they didn't show anything lol

Well Persona 5 will be out in 3 days at the day of the conference so I kinda doubt it.

Chobel

This has to be the time to announce JRPG #1 and JRPG #2, if not then we'll know for sure these 2 games didn't exist at all.

Shin-chan

This has to be the time to announce JRPG #1 and JRPG #2, if not then we'll know for sure these 2 games didn't exist at all.
Just how long ago were they teased? I'm trying to put it into perspective of a development timescale for a brand new AAA IP which I believe could range from 4-6 years depending on the scope/scale of the project and how much manpower it's been given once entering full production.

To recap the last two years:

New Game Announcements

• 13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim (PS4, PS Vita)
  • Bloodborne: The Old Hunters (PS4)
  • Gravity Rush Remastered (PS4)
  • Gravity Rush 2 (PS4)
  • Hatsune Miku: Project Diva Future Tone (PS4)
  • I Am Setsuna (PS4, PS Vita)
  • Kingdom Hearts HD 2.8: Final Chapter Prologue (PS4)
  • The King of Fighters XIV (PS4)
  • Mobile Suit Gundam: Extreme VS Force (PS Vita)
  • New Danganronpa V3 (PS4, PS Vita)
  • Nioh (PS4)
  • One Piece: Burning Blood (PS4, PS Vita)
  • SaGa: Scarlet Grace (PS Vita)
  • Toukiden 2 (PS4, PS3, PS Vita)
  • Umbrella Corps (PS4)
  • Yakuza: Kiwami (PS4, PS3)
  • Yakuza 6 (PS4)

Other
  • Dragon Quest Builders Japanese release date
  • Star Ocean 5 Japanese release date
  • PS4 HDD bay cover color variations for Japan
  • Project Morpheus renamed PS VR officially
  • PS4 price drop in Japan

New Game Announcements
  • Bladestorm: The Hundred Years' War (PS4)
  • Disgaea 5 (PS4)
  • Dragon Quest Heroes (PS4, PS3)
  • Earth Defense Force 4.1: The Shadow of New Despair (PS4)
  • Fairy Fencer F: Advent Dark Force (PS4)
  • God Eater 2: Rage Burst (PS4, PS Vita)
  • Gundam (PS4)
  • Luminous Arc Infinity (PS Vita)
  • New Hot Shots Golf (PS4)
  • Persona 5 (PS4 Ver.)
  • Resident Evil: Revelations 2 (PS4, PS3)
  • Senran Kagura: Estival Versus (PS4, PS Vita)
  • Summer Lesson (PSVR)
  • Touhou Project on PlayStation
  • Ukiyo no Roushi / Shishi (PS Vita)
  • Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana (PS4, PS Vita)

Other
  • Bloodborne Japanese release date
  • Danganronpa: Another Episode new trailer and PS Vita / PS TV bundles
  • Dead or Alive 5: Last Round first trailer
  • Let It Die new trailer
  • PS4 Update 2.00
  • The Tomorrow Children closed beta
  • Yakuza 0 release window

TGS has been great for the last two years

Just how long ago were they teased? I'm trying to put it into perspective of a development timescale for a brand new AAA IP which I believe could range from 4-6 years depending on the scope/scale of the project and how much manpower it's been given once entering full production.

If they exist and is developed internally, I suspect they have had almost no manpower at all in the past 2 years as majority of the studio work on GR2 and TLG.

Japan Studio works via project shuffling.

wapplew

If they exist and is developed internally, I suspect they have had almost no manpower at all in the past 2 years as majority of the studio work on GR2 and TLG.

Unless they hire outside studio like Bloodborne.

Shin-chan

I'm assuming one is a collaboration effort with someone like Level 5 (or hell even Platinum lol, they don't have enough on their plate). I'd also wonder if TLG has such a huge team on it that it would take an even split of Japan Studios devs.

So I wonder what level of Vita announcements we'll see this year. The last two years weren't *too* bad. I remember 2014 being a bit of a bust with only Luminous Arc and Ukiyo being highlighted for Vita (and the infamous Senran Kagura/Ys trailers having the PS4 logo at the end and nothing about Vita, how well that worked out huh).

I think that was the year they had that big sizzle reel though that had loads of VN's and otome on.

2015 was a bit better with DangnRonpa; Gundam; One Piece etc. all at least highlighted for the console.

I'm not expecting great things. Just hoping there's something!

I expect:

1. Wild Arms 6th Ignition

It's been 9 years since the last game and you expect a new one? That seems like very, very wishful thinking. Media Vision seem fine getting their own work now and Sony don't exactly need a niche JRPG on their system with all the third party support they're getting.

That said, it's one of my favourite IP's ever and I would LOVE for this to happen.

Skeeter49

Hopefully this years conference isn't mean to Resident Evil fans :(

Should be a good conference with the games we already know about, considering all of Sony's First Party games for the rest of the year are Japanese games, so this should be where they get a big push. I'd also hope for a Nioh release date, maybe Ni Nu Kuni 2 as well.

klee123

Sony don't exactly need a niche JRPG on their system with all the third party support they're getting.

It would be in their own interest to have some Japanese JRPG staples for their lineup just to add more value to their exclusive portfolio.

Now that pretty much most Japanese publishers are now considering PC, it's pointless for Sony to keep making deals with them just for a small window of timed exclusivity.

They should be like Nintendo and focus on a few Japanese JRPG IPs and stick with them and help them grow. Xenoblade and Fire Emblem are worthwhile IPs for Nintendo which sell very well overall and really Sony should have theirs too.

Top Bottom