• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon GO is now the biggest mobile game in U.S. history (by peak DAU)

Delio

It is quite impressive that it's pulling people in and getting people to really interact with each other. They better cross promote while they can and try to drag people into Sun and Moon.

It's insane to think for years both Nintendo and their fans were staunchly against putting Nintendo IPs on mobile. The success of this game no doubt is gonna shake Nintendo to its core.

It's insane to think for years both Nintendo and their fans were staunchly against putting Nintendo IPs on mobile. The success of this game no doubt is gonna shake Nintendo to its core.

Doubtful. They've already committed to numerous mobile games from their core franchises. It's not like this is something that came out of left field. And as was already stated, this isn't a simple 1:1 translation of one of their IP, which is what people were mostly against. No one has even said "There's no point putting Nintendo games on mobile". It's always been "I'd rather them not forgo their traditional handheld title to release only on mobile"

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
This is insane.

Pokemon GO was on my local news about a meetup at the CN Tower... it's not even officially out in Canada yet!

LurkingFear

Pokémon GO is the biggest mobile game in U.S. history.

S3cvSoX.gif

Hopefully it raises Nintendo's mindshare, especially positive mindshare. The idea that Nintendo is not cool, just for kids, and being associated with commercial failures did not do them good over the past few years.

Of course, there's much more than Nintendo behind Pokemon Go, but I think most non-Gaf people assume it's a Nintendo game.

I wish I lived in Tokyo so I can see the absolute madhouse it will become when this game get's released there. They love pokemon, social and mobile gaming.

What fools we were. Now time for them to put more ip on mobile and shake things up while still putting in work on consoles and handhelds! It was a good idea we just didnt understand at the time being blind.

psyfi

Banned
absolutely nuts

This honestly feels bigger than the launch of Red and Blue. Back then, all the kids were talking about Pokemon. Now everyone of every age is talking about Pokemon.

gnomed

It hasn't even been 1 week yet and it's huge my lord I knew it was crazy when I saw everybody talking about it on social media, I knew it was huger when I saw WWE mention it multiple times and I knew it was even bigger when people were playing it in work. Now it's the biggest in US history?

Ho
Ly
Sh
It

This is like back when we were kids and Pokemon took over. I'm having flashbacks of watching the first episode on UPN.
Lol UPN, that was my jam during the 90s. We must really live in a jaded society when there's already a bwcklash. Go, go internet.

Hoo-doo

Banned
Hopefully it raises Nintendo's mindshare, especially positive mindshare. The idea that Nintendo is not cool, just for kids, and being associated with commercial failures did not do them good over the past few years.

Of course, there's much more than Nintendo behind Pokemon Go, but I think most non-Gaf people assume it's a Nintendo game.

Eh, most people will say it's a Pokemon game and that's basically it.

I don't think there's much linking this game to Nintendo at all besides the other Pokemon handheld games. And those games have nearly zero overlap with Pokemon Go.

What fools we were. Now time for them to put more ip on mobile and shake things up while still putting in work on consoles and handhelds! It was a good idea we just didnt understand at the time being blind.

Making Nintendo mobile games that were built with a handheld mindset is what we wanted to avoid.

This is actively avoiding it. So we're still good.

Every news website and tv segment always mention Nintendo in the same breath anyhow, so it'll spread.

javac

I don't think there's much linking this game to Nintendo at all besides the other Pokemon handheld games. And those games have nearly zero overlap with Pokemon Go.

Pokemon and Nintendo are synonymous with one another.

random25

I don't think it will raise much Nintendo mindshare as the brand will always be associated with the hardware or Mario. But this will make sure the Pokemon IP stays strong in terms of relevancy in today's generation and will certainly help future products like the mainline games and other spinoffs.

At the end of the day, for as long as Nintendo and all the others are getting the $$$ from players and investors, they'll be good to go.

Zelda, Mario, Metroid, Pokemon, and the big titles should stay on consoles/handhelds.

But Nintendo should dump their pushmos, picrosses, and art academies to mobile.

It seems funny that one of Nintendo's biggest hits in a long time is a Mobile Pokemon MMO featuring only the original 151. Which is what some people had been asking from Nintendo for a while, just not quite how they would've expected it.

jwhit28

It's amazing. The parks are so full of 20 something year old people walking around in groups it looks like the gentrified neighborhoods in San Francisco. It's like every kid from 1998 is a life long sleeper agent that Nintendo can activate with the original 151 anytime things are looking dire

Pokemon is Nintendo get real lol. You cant even watch a Pokemon movie without Nintendo logo in it.
Making Nintendo mobile games that were built with a handheld mindset is what we wanted to avoid.

This is actively avoiding it. So we're still good.

Every news website and tv segment always mention Nintendo in the same breath anyhow, so it'll spread.
Oh yeah I agree, I think people misunderstood this kind of approach to mobile development. Hence the confusion.

NEO0MJ

You don't think people associate Pokemon with Nintendo? Or Zelda or Donkey Kong? Smash Bros?

One of my friends used to think Pokemon was originally just the TV show and that everything that came later were just licensed products.

random25

You don't think people associate Pokemon with Nintendo? Or Zelda or Donkey Kong? Smash Bros?

Depending on the area, you'd be surprised at how many people are not associating Pokemon being a Nintendo game. Pokemon as a franchise is like an entity of its own in the perception of many people. But of course long-time gamers know it for sure. Just speaking for non-gamers who are most likely the biggest user base of this game.

Hoo-doo

Banned
One of my friends used to think Pokemon was originally just the TV show and that everything that came later were just licensed products.

A lot of people think this. Not everyone played the games but still got caught up in the TV show and TCG hype. It's not weird to see it as it's own brand.

AdanVC

Ok those numbers are not exciting anymore, they are scary! I was sure the app will do great but holy shit this goes beyond anything else! It truly feels like we're living another phenomenom similar to when the original games + the anime came out on the late 90s! I don't think there's another better way of celebrate it's 20th anniversary than this. If the hype continues all the way till november, Pokémon Sun/Moon might sell even more than X/Y OR/AS combined!

Hoo-doo

Banned
By the way, if you're not playing this right now you're missing out on one of the biggest gaming hypes i've seen in my life.

This stuff is immense. Don't miss out.

random25

I think enough people connect Pokemon with Nintendo as their stock is skyrocketing due to Pokemon Go's success.

That's different though as investors are more aware of this project and may have been following it closely since its reveal. Heck, every Nintendo's move and statements in mobile gaming cause fluctuations in their stock price lol.

Hermii

Nintendo should prop up Niantic With all the Developers they need, to keep a steady stream of updates to keep the momentum going as long as possible.

T.O.P

Banned
By the way, if you're not playing this right now you're missing out on one of the biggest gaming hypes i've seen in my life.

This stuff is immense. Don't miss out.

Yeah, it feels like when WoW launched (easily bigger), but while staying outside and fit

Dynamite Shikoku

Congratulations, you really deserve it!
Not surprising. I've seen this game all over the news in various reports and articles over the past week. It's a phenomenon

Well deserved.

it really is something else. I see people out and about at 12am at gyms just taking over.

I was just saying today, they should just integrate google maps and allow us to get directions through the game lol

Top Bottom