• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon GO is now the biggest mobile game in U.S. history (by peak DAU)

I mean, to be fair, this isn't Pokemon. It's Pokemon Super Mega Lite. But that's even more of a feat.
Not at all.

The game took the world by storm because it's not burdened with layers of RPG mechanics not in spite of it. This game wouldn't be as crazy popular if they didn't deliberately make a game so simple that anyone who can use a smartphone would be able to enjoy. And that's why we have so many casual gamers having a blast. It would be more of a feat if everyone went this nuts over something like Pokemon Sun and Moon mobile edition.

Also it's kind of a disservice to call it Pokemon Lite imo. It wasn't trying to be a Pokemon Lite; it's a completely different take on Pokemon.

Really enjoying just walking about and catching pokemon. It's a pretty relaxing app.

Looking forward to seeing how they expand the app to keep users interested.

CnH2Y-BWgAAp94d.jpg:large

Fou-Lu

I really hope that if this continues Nintendo doesn't take it to heart as meaning that mobile games are the one true path to success.

I really wonder how this will turn in Pokémon Moon and Sun sales.

I think we can expect some very insane numbers!

It'll be interesting to see if lapsed Pokemon fans who are playing GO will give Sun and Moon a shot. Hopefully Nintendo has a $99 2DS bundle ready to go this holiday. Bundle Sun/Moon and the original Pokemon Red/Blue/Yellow game and it could be a huge seller.

Ryng_tolu

Banned
It'll be interesting to see if lapsed Pokemon fans who are playing GO will give Sun and Moon a shot. Hopefully Nintendo has a $99 2DS bundle ready to go this holiday. Bundle Sun/Moon and the original Pokemon Red/Blue/Yellow game and it could be a huge seller.

2DS is already $80 in USA.

I believe that a 2DS bundle with 2DS + Pokémon Moon / Sun for $50 during Black Friday could be HUGE!

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!

I believe that a 2DS bundle with 2DS + Pokémon Moon / Sun for $50 during Black Friday could be HUGE!

Actually, we should not forget about Trev's leak including a 3DS (not 2DS) price cut for this Fall.

Oh yeah, I forgot it dropped in price.

A bundle priced at $80 or less would be great. If they could get it down to $50, that'd be insane.

KAL2006

Banned
Not at all.

The game took the world by storm because it's not burdened with layers of RPG mechanics not in spite of it. This game wouldn't be as crazy popular if they didn't deliberately make a game so simple that anyone who can use a smartphone would be able to enjoy. And that's why we have so many casual gamers having a blast. It would be more of a feat if everyone went this nuts over something like Pokemon Sun and Moon mobile edition.

Also it's kind of a disservice to call it Pokemon Lite imo. It wasn't trying to be a Pokemon Lite; it's a completely different take on Pokemon.

The RPG mechanics on the mainline series are very simple no more difficult than the battle system we have here. The fact that we can catchPPokemon without the need to weaken them by fighting that iis whatmade this game simple as well as just walking around looking for Pokemon in the realworld.

I think changing the battle system to what we have in the mainline games and adding depth will make this game more successful. We should also get trading and battling (pvp) in as it's local and not online to keep the game social . Finally we should also have an option to battle wild Pokemon to gain CP. Currently we are just collecting Pokemon nothing to do with them other take on gyms which are really high level which may turn people off. If you can battle eachother and wild Pokemon you gave something to do with people at your own level.

stalker

In Spain Pokemon GO is all over the maintream online media since 2 or 3 days ago; I guess it must be the same everywhere (talking about countries in which the game has not been released).

On the first 24 hourss after release I only saw mentions about the game in dedicated videogames or "geek" media. Then the mentions about Nintendo shares rising due to Pokemon GO started to be prominent, together with reports about the small "funny" incidentes related to the app. Since monday the game is very often prominently discussed with all type of articles mainly in the vein of "why you will love pokemon GO" or "we will still need to wait a few days to catch Pokemon in real life". Also mentions in main TV news.

Quite insane to be honest.

It's amazing. The parks are so full of 20 something year old people walking around in groups it looks like the gentrified neighborhoods in San Francisco. It's like every kid from 1998 is a life long sleeper agent that Nintendo can activate with the original 151 anytime things are looking dire
Hah, what a post. Take a bow.

Delio

I really wonder how this will turn in Pokémon Moon and Sun sales.

I think we can expect some very insane numbers!

It's going to be up to Nintendo to drag people into Sun and Moon who are playing this. I'm not entirely convinced you can convince people to give up their free game for a 2DS/3DS and a copy of Sun or Moon. But hey we will see.

Jashobeam

this is insane, I'm in Canada and it hasn't dropped here officially yet so I'm not sure what all the hoopla is about, guess I'll catch the bug like everyone else once I finally play it.

R00bot

this is insane, I'm in Canada and it hasn't dropped here officially yet so I'm not sure what all the hoopla is about, guess I'll catch the bug like everyone else once I finally play it.

Get the apk and get a jump on all your friends who will inevitably be playing it when it comes out there.

You gotta be the very best, even if it means cheating.

Abylim

I went out with my friend lastnight for some Pokemon hunting. We found what we call the "magic mile". It was this one street with like 6 or more poke stops on it, all close together.

We park our car at the start of the street and get walking, gotta hatch them eggs!

As we come up to the middle, we notice someone put out a few lures, so that three poke stops have em and you can be in all three at the same time. There were easily 8 cars or more, all packed in on this little street. People were out walking too.

One of the residents was yelling at people to leave and stop playing. We just kept walking, checking in and catching what we could. We got all the way to the end, then turned around and as we're coming back, a random in a car tells us to turn around, someone called the cops.

We then see droves of cars coming from there, with a few police cars at the end.

One of the other residents came out of his house to chat with us. Apparently the guy that called the cops and was yelling also told him he wasnt allowed to play here, and he told him to fuck himself, that he lives on the street and will play where he damn well pleases.

We left, went on to fight a local gym, a car pulled up and the guy asked me if i beat that gym, i said yes. He told me he was going to kick my ass. He whips out his phone, took on my gym and won. Then he flipped me off and drove away. My friend and I couldnt stop laughing.

Fucking Pokemon Go

Someone said this?

I don't believe it. Pokémon is made for mobile.

It's a simplified version of "Traditional handheld gaming that Gamefreak and Nintendo are known for would not translate well to the mobile market"

As it turns out, the apps brought out are not traditional nor ported from a handheld console mentality.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
I can't say i like mobile games, or even have any attachment to Pokemon, but this proves the viability of Nintendo's franchises several times over, and shows they could become bigger than ever by going third party i guess.

It is insane.

However I do think the the bugs, and simple mechanics (lack of features) are helping the popularity. Because you can't trade pokemon and the mechanics are fairly simple, yet unexplained, hard core gamers don't clearly "own" the game yet. I have a feeling the more complexity they add the easier for those fixated on levelling will basically dominate through time spent or exploits or trading or intelligence or companion apps or whatever. I am not sure the designers know they have a dragon by the tail. If it is so popular the pressure to gps hack or simply dominate through time spent in-game will make any pvp a massacre. There is no pve, so what is left .. its just gotta catch em all and thats just a matter of time.

So I'm really skeptical that this particular game can keep building without putting a significant portion of its player base off-side. It has already pissed off those not living or working near a high density of pokestops and gyms. Punishing them with micro transactions didn't get discussed in the design meetings?

Awesome. The success of this game is really wonderful, especially with all the stories of meet-ups and making friends through the app and stuff already. Can't wait to see where the game goes from here, and what Nintendo and Niantic have in store. Great stuff. ^__^

Ryng_tolu

Banned
Actually, we should not forget about Trev's leak including a 3DS (not 2DS) price cut for this Fall.

Yup, i remember that we should see an official 3DS pricedrop this holidays.
What is the official current New 3DS price in USA right now anyway, $200?

spekkeh

Banned
It is insane.

However I do think the the bugs, and simple mechanics (lack of features) are helping the popularity. Because you can't trade pokemon and the mechanics are fairly simple, yet unexplained, hard core gamers don't clearly "own" the game yet. I have a feeling the more complexity they add the easier for those fixated on levelling will basically dominate through time spent or exploits or trading or intelligence or companion apps or whatever. I am not sure the designers know they have a dragon by the tail. If it is so popular the pressure to gps hack or simply dominate through time spent in-game will make any pvp a massacre. There is no pve, so what is left .. its just gotta catch em all and thats just a matter of time.

So I'm really skeptical that this particular game can keep building without putting a significant portion of its player base off-side. It has already pissed off those not living or working near a high density of pokestops and gyms. Punishing them with micro transactions didn't get discussed in the design meetings?

Yeah I'm in a holiday homes park, and there are almost no pokestops (figures, there are also no landmarks), also currently no pokemans nearby (they need to fix this) and only one gym, which is guarded by a one gazillion CP pokemon. They should probably find ways for low ranked players to upset the top ranked players.

From just spending a week in Sweden and now in Denmark, I can confirm that even in countries where the game isn't out yet, there is still a LOT of people playing it.

KAL2006

Banned
I can't say i like mobile games, or even have any attachment to Pokemon, but this proves the viability of Nintendo's franchises several times over, and shows they could become bigger than ever by going third party i guess.

No doubt Nintendo games can be successful but no way as muchas Pokemon. Pokemon as an OPitself iis hugely ppopular and it's made for mobile. Some games just won't translate as well. But games like Brain Age, Fire Emplem, Advance Wars, Nintendogs, Animal Crossing, Pikmin are a perfect fit for smartphones

Vex_

Banned
I am NOT ASHAMED to admit I am not happy about this. Pokemon is a game for TRUE gamers. The ones who were there DAY 1 for red blue and green. This game is nothing more than a social app cash in. Absolute GARBAGE.

I just caught an electabuzz! I'm currently lv3! Just started!

Klart

The game requires couch potatoes to get off the couch, and the novelty will wear off when they get tired or when their phone batteries die. I give this four months at the top of the charts, then it will fade.

E-phonk

Banned
Do we know how much of this goes into Nintendo's pockets? Is it a Niantic thing? A Pokemon Company thing?

Nintendo owns part of niantic
http://venturebeat.com/2015/12/16/h...ters-with-mobile-location-data-in-pokemon-go/

John Hanke (chief executive of Niantic): Partly it allows us to do something like this with Nintendo and Pokémon, where they can invest and be a co-owner of the company and feel like they have a very tight relationship. They’re putting the number two video game franchise of all time in the hands of this project. It would be more difficult to do if they didn’t at least own a portion of the company. They feel like there’s a good alignment of interest.

Besides that nintendo owns 1/3rd of TPC, an undisclosed amount of creatures inc (who also own 1/3rd of TPC) and owns the pokemon logo, IP and all individual pokemon.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I don't think it's a great game but I'm happy to see a company like Nintendo, TPC, and the actual dev find success over places like King. Good for them. I just hope it doesn't have an actual impact on game quality (when they see it's possible to get away with a simplistic thing like this)

Kyonashi

Zelda, Mario, Metroid, Pokemon, and the big titles should stay on consoles/handhelds.

But Nintendo should dump their pushmos, picrosses, and art academies to mobile.

Why? They work well on both. Nintendo are never going to go purely mobile, and they have rich and varied IPs. I want a range of apps AND videogames.

Top Bottom