• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Polygon: Xbox Scorpio will be a ~6 TFLOP system (v PS4K's 4.14), unveil soon, Fall 17

Arkam

But still better then Neo which is all that matters.

If it came out in the same release window yes. IF they are as rumored and a year a part it matters much less. MS would need to hype the crap out of it a promise the moon to get kids to wait a year for something thats as much better as the PS4 is to the X1.

Imagine the PS4 coming a year after the X1. Would the 1.3 vs 1.8tf really matter?
I hope for MS's sake there is more to this box than just more beef.

Upinsmoke

The Xbox One was more powerful yet more expensive than the PS4 at launch. Kinect obviously mires that comparison, but still, can Microsoft really release this thing at a competitive price point?

Late 2017 means PS4 Neo could have been out a year and got a great head start. PS4 as a platform will be miles in the lead in terms of sales so even if Xbox 2 leapfrogs the Neo, will it be enough to entice people over, especially when their PS4 ecosystem games will likely work on the even more powerful PS5 which could release not that long after the Xbox 2. This is definitely gonna get interesting!

First comment wins the day by the way. Beautiful.

It just feels like MS are constantly behind the curve though. So whilst the Neo launches later this year MS launch a slim X1. Then neo has a year on the market and then Xbox release Scorpio, bearing in mind PSVR is in full swing too. By the Time Scorpio launches at a relatively high price, Sony drop the neo price.

To be honest I'm happy with my xbox one and ps4, I don't wanna upgrade different consoles every year or two. Yet it feels like I'm left with no alternative because of weaker iterations of hardware get left behind.

jbug617

Banned
I do not look forward to all the insiders. It was unbearable to start the generation with all the people who supposedly in the know.

Kindekuma

Banned
I need official announcements and full spec sheets to get on any sort of hype train. I'm taking all news with a grain of salt right now. Anything PS4K, XBTwo, and NX news are so full of "insider info" it's hard to separate what might be legitimate facts from the bullshit.

E3's coming soon, so lets just see what might be announced then.

Tagyhag

Would love that, means that their PC ports would be graphical powerhouses.

Fall 17 is far away from now, so for people worrying about prices, trust me, they won't be as high as you assume.

6 TFLOPS?

Makes you wonder if the Xbox One might actually hold back games for that monster to maintain iterative compatibility?

Unless Microsoft is just going to write off the Xbox One altogether by 2018.

Sarobi

Banned
Man, wouldn't it be something if both Sony and Microsoft come with the "get a second job" attitude for these new consoles.

So they're killing off this generation as soon as they can, just as I thought they would.

What will happen to the abortive XB1 going forward you wonder?

KZObsessed

So are they just gonna keep one upping each other? Ps4 8TF in 2018, announced before scorpio releases?

Things are getting a little crazy... but I like it!

Boke1879

I would say that Sony were the ones who felt the need to head off a new MS console. I've always felt that the PS4K is the result of Sony getting wind of MS' plans and having their hand forced towards new hardware.

These plans were probably discussed before the consoles even launched. It's not about getting wind of plans. It's just a natural business move honestly.

I don't see how anyone can say this won't make your Xbox One an obsolete piece of hardware. Sure it can still run the games, but 360 ran a lot of games that were on the Xbox One also and those were terrible. The graphics will be skimped on, physics, AI, environments, etc.

Here's what bothers me. The current Xbox hardware is absolute piss. 1.2 TF isn't it? And the new one is 6 TF now? How are they gonna make games that take advantage of the new hardware, while also not being a complete shitshow on old hardware?

They won't. The XB1 will be jettisoned into history, and MS will adopt a standard next gen strategy. They wont be doing simultaneous releases like Sony appear to be, except for maybe the first year or so and a few select games.

The new machine will be full next gen with it's own games, and also capable of playing XB1 games. That's my prediction

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
To put this number into perspective:

A Titan X has 6.1 TFLOPS of processing power.
If the Scorpio does end up clocking 6T it will be a monster.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Quick math

PS4 NEO 4.14TF/PS4 1.84TF = 2.25
That's a set number, we have the compute units and the clock speed. 2.5 would be false and 2.3 is normal rounding.

XB1 1.32TF X 4 = 5.28TF
When we find out the ALU/Compute units and the clocks, we can draw better inference. If its said to be 6TF though, there's not need for "concern" about reporting until we get harder facts.

Not concern, just a hell of a 'rounding' for something even below 5.5 speculative. ;)

But again, 'over 4 times' yada yada, 6 is a nice sounding click, got it.

Either way, must be Vega if true, and now it comes down to price.

jbug617

Banned
Jason is co-signing the Polygon report.
https://twitter.com/jasonschreier/status/735566862621237249

4SGBwui.png

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
While the false prophet might have been sipping from the secret nectar of the terafloptree, it must not be untruthness!

Our true prophet Jason has been visited by a spirit with a similar story. Do not ungies the Gies!

Pelagic

Banned
I think it actually might be smart to announce this new Scorpio thing already at E3.
I was thinking of getting a PS Neo this fall, but if this 6 Tflop machine is coming in Fall 2017 I will save my money for now.

Announcing an upgraded Xbox early will take some of the hype away from PS Neo.

Dabanton

Power is probably the last reason why PS4 is winning the console war. This narrative really only exists on forums.

It certainly helps though. Especially on the all important third party games that push the sales of these systems.

But price and momentum are far more important. It's what helped the 360 to be a success.

Faustek

I do not look forward to all the insiders. It was unbearable to start the generation with all the people who supposedly in the know.

Only one that was fun was Verendus. Not because of what he said but how he messed around. Drunk Verendus will always be the best.

Brinbe

Depending on how open this thing will be with Windows 10, I might just be on board. Already have a ps4 so there's no incentive to get a NEO.

Femto.

Generations are really dead.

I'm willing to bet Microsoft is going to stray away from the Xbox One name, and Sony won't even have a 4 in the name of the PS Neo.

Everything will be BC from PS4>Neo & Xbone>New Xbox, console is PC now.

kingwingin

Hopefully all that extra power really helps with 360 BC. Would love to see them with locked framerate and mabye even higer res if thats possible

Top Bottom